Information on PSN ID Name Changing & Your PSNProfiles Account

1 hour ago, Mania112 said:

What about being banned from leaderboards. If you change your name will you appear again?

Nope!

Well during this week you might, but once accounts re-link to each other then they are automatically off the boards again

1 hour ago, Commodore411 said:

If someone changes the PSN ID and updates the new ID on PSNP and sign in , is there any way to remove the old PSN ID from PSNP ?! I saw some players which changed their ID and their old PSN ID still remains on PSNP .

After a week the old one should automatically be removed and replaced with the new one ;) 

• Like 3

Hello everybody! 

First of all, thank you to all those responsible for the updates to the site in order to implement the ID change feature, you guys are amazing! ^_^ 

I read that it is not advisable to change your name within the following week and so I wonder: will those who changed their ID in the private beta months ago (yours truly included) be alright eventually? I'm kinda confident on y'all nailing the whole thing but I'm asking for reassurance hahahaha thank you in advance! :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Omar said:

Hello everybody! 

First of all, thank you to all those responsible for the updates to the site in order to implement the ID change feature, you guys are amazing! ^_^ 

I read that it is not advisable to change your name within the following week and so I wonder: will those who changed their ID in the private beta months ago (yours truly included) be alright eventually? I'm kinda confident on y'all nailing the whole thing but I'm asking for reassurance hahahaha thank you in advance! :lol: 

Sly tells me beta testers should be fine, but we shall see! xD 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

It's in the FAQ they put up about the name changes. I can not be arsed to look up the link. But basically all your old usernames remain tied to your profile forever and you can revert back to them at any point at no cost.

Edit: It was not very hard to find, it's even in the blog post: click

Relevant excerpt here for convenience:

Q: Can I revert back to my old ID?

You can as long as the old ID doesn’t violate the Terms of Service. You can revert back to any of your previous IDs by contacting PlayStation Support.
Q. Do I have to pay to revert back to an old ID?

No, reverting back is free.
Q: What happens to my old online ID? Can someone else take it?

No, your old online ID is only available to you.

So I don't know where the 6 months thing came from, but all evidence points to that not being a thing in the actual implementation of the name changes.

Oh man that sucks. Why can't Sony add a feature where the user can choose if he/she wants to keep the old ID or release it for anyone to use.

I want to change my ID to another ID I own, that's why I've been waiting for the name change. This is so easy on Xbox, I don't understand why Sony can't do that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Glad to see accounts will eventually re-link! I had gifted a friend premium and he was sad to see his premium gone but this is a nice reassurance! 

After about a week this site will receive an update which should retroactively link your old name and new name together (Including all information tied to it such as premium status, guides, etc) and seamlessly merge everything together

Edited by waltdisneypixa

1 hour ago, anotherfangirl said:

Oh man that sucks. Why can't Sony add a feature where the user can choose if he/she wants to keep the old ID or release it for anyone to use.

I want to change my ID to another ID I own, that's why I've been waiting for the name change. This is so easy on Xbox, I don't understand why Sony can't do that.

I made several posts about this as far back as a year+ ago on this site where I outlined why Sony could not allow PSN names to be 'freed up' and exactly how PSN name changes would happen, everything I said then, is true now. Let's just say, I knew.

Basically what I said then is that the only way (and I must stress the ONLY way) that PSN name changes are possible in the first place is that the original name chosen must stay attached to that account forever. All Sony has done is to allow a 'layer' to be placed over the top of that original name by masking it so it would appear as a new name.

This was the only way PSN name changes could be achieved.

What they have allowed is a change of publicly displayed PSN name which is all that matters really, but on Sony's servers you will always be known by what your original PSN name was even if you or anyone else can now only see your new name.

This will never change, it simply cannot, old unused names cannot be 'freed up' whether you are the owner of them or not, they will remain permanently attached to the account that created them, indefinitely. 

Edited by JapanimeGamer

Anyone already having issues with games and content not working properly after changing their name?

EDIT: Also the name i wanna use, it says is not available but i cannot find a psn account with that name, anyone know what's up with that?

Edited by thekiffer21

7 hours ago, DancingCloud said:

First you should understand and respect other people's needs and not just yours. There are ALOT of people who did mistakes when they created their name back then or simply they just want a change (usually for the better) and i can understand the satisfaction about it. If you dont care at all about that its fine, but dont expect others to care about your needs. Everyone is free to do what they want with their accounts. Besides as mentioned there's the option you can see who change their name next to their old one. Not a big deal.

Well said. The topic isn't even asking for his opinion again, and its like he have to everytime let people know how he feels. I've seen status reports, and more of his dont care about name change yet he still feel he has the need to express it again here. A lot of people waited a long time for this feature, though its not as great as it should be. Of course people are going to jump up and down for it. He's probably one of those that wish the feature never came to be because of his own selfish reasons.

I'll probably give my name a reface once the site gets everything in order in a week.

Edited by Fing3rButt3r3
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, anotherfangirl said:

Because they did not put enough thought into the design of PSN when it was developed, unfortunately.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Dorroile said:

So if i change my name today, then my PSNP stuff will only be fucked for a week before unfucking itself? Guess there's no harm in changing it today then

Haha, you has got no Trophies.

Actually I can't sign in to my new account, because my E-Mail is blocked from my old Account. Will I be able to log in in my new Account next week? Thank you.

Edited by Sega-Ryudo

So let me get this straight. As I changed my PSN ID, all the PSNP features mentioned above don’t carry on my new ID. Within a week or so, you will manage so the system in PSNP automatically transfers all the written guides, forum profile, premium membership and others to new IDs?

But for those who already did the change, will you guys manually re-link all my PSNP stuff to the new PSN ID if it doesn’t work as it should? Or will it work automatically?

Edited by MaxieM0us3

i got to the bottom of this post and i realized i didnt read one persons name who posted. then that made me realize how pointless this entire thing is. nobody cares what anyones name is except them. which applies to playstation as well. alot of names i dont even know what they mean because they are a reference to something in another country. 

On 4/10/2019 at 10:04 PM, Cave_Johnson_ said:

but that'll never happen due to an inactive account...

There's no reason that Sony doesn't just clean out the inactive accounts. It makes no sense that there's hundreds of accounts that aren't being recycled, especially ones that have never been used on a console before. Though, there has been a case of a banned account being given out to another person, though I don't know the circumstance, as seen here: https://psnprofiles.com/God

Years ago, the account was banned, but it seems to be fairly active now. 

3 hours ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

utomically?

Might want to replace your sig. 

9 hours ago, ESJS90 said:

I took a gamble I change my id, I like taking risk lol but thank you for letting us know.

Not really much of a risk, since you can go back to your old PSN.