Game of Thrones - last season, episode comments - SPOILERS -

BG_painter

I read something that could be interesting. The Night King was made under the same type of tree he was killed near? Maybe this was a necessary ingredient to killing him, and Jon might not have been able to kill him 1v1 anyways. Could be why the Night King stopped him far from the tree as well if he had any sort of doubts about being able to take Jon in a fight. (although personally I doubt it heavily.) For anyone who's ever seen the anime Full Metal Alchemist think of it being along the lines of the Homunculus. 

Wonder how people would have reacted if Arya still killed the Night King, but waited for an opening during a 1v1 fight between Jon and the Night King. :hmm: Would this have satisfied people more? I don't feel like it was rushed tbh. I just think people over-hyped themselves much like the main event of a boxing/MMA venue and the long awaited match ends in the first 20 seconds via KO. You're just left feeling like you missed out on a potential amazing fight when really it only takes that one hit. Difference is with the Night King it's almost non-debatable that anyone could have actually taken the Night King down in a straight up fight. (especially if the theory in the first part of this post is in fact a truth)

• Like 4

all the past seasons buildup & this is how they send the night king off? yea arya is a badass and all but that's not the way for 'the threat of all mankind' to go down specially when his odds are beyond overwhelming

SHAME!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, douchebro said:

all the past seasons buildup & this is how they send the night king off? yea arya is a badass and all but that's not the way for 'the threat of all mankind' to go down specially when his odds are beyond overwhelming

SHAME!

Surely it was the only way he could. An army was completely overwhelmed on the battleground, an assassin was required, and arya had been training for that job since the show started... It would have been good if her battle with him was a little more epic sure. 

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I read something that could be interesting. The Night King was made under the same type of tree he was killed near? Maybe this was a necessary ingredient to killing him, and Jon might not have been able to kill him 1v1 anyways. Could be why the Night King stopped him far from the tree as well if he had any sort of doubts about being able to take Jon in a fight. (although personally I doubt it heavily.) For anyone who's ever seen the anime Full Metal Alchemist think of it being along the lines of the Homunculus. 

Wonder how people would have reacted if Arya still killed the Night King, but waited for an opening during a 1v1 fight between Jon and the Night King. :hmm: Would this have satisfied people more? I don't feel like it was rushed tbh. I just think people over-hyped themselves much like the main event of a boxing/MMA venue and the long awaited match ends in the first 20 seconds via KO. You're just left feeling like you missed out on a potential amazing fight when really it only takes that one hit. Difference is with the Night King it's almost non-debatable that anyone could have actually taken the Night King down in a straight up fight. (especially if the theory in the first part of this post is in fact a truth)

I was ok with Jon not being there as that was predictable (though goddamn couldn’t he have at least taken on a white walker or something?) but I thought it would’ve looked much more believable if Theon had waited a minute for the NK to get closer. Then Arya could’ve jumped in for the kill while he was distracted. I loved that Arya was the one but I didn’t like the way she just Kung fu’d out of nowhere. Not even out of the tree or anything.

1 minute ago, Charizarzar said:

I was ok with Jon not being there as that was predictable (though goddamn couldn’t he have at least taken on a white walker or something?) but I thought it would’ve looked much more believable if Theon had waited a minute for the NK to get closer. Then Arya could’ve jumped in for the kill while he was distracted. I loved that Arya was the one but I didn’t like the way she just Kung fu’d out of nowhere. Not even out of the tree or anything.

I saw Bran's short talk with Theon basically confirming that Theon knew he needed to stall for a bit more time. I suppose he could have waited for NK to come to him, but then NK would be on top of Bran. Better to keep NK at a distance since either way you know you're going to die might as well try and keep the enemy away from your key player for even a few more seconds. (Bran had to have known that Arya was coming.)

In short, like most villains NK's downfall was arrogance. It was probably the only thing about the episode I found irksome. (aside from the plot armor the main characters donned) He baited the dragons away from the battle, and then took his sweet time getting to Bran. That's why on some small level I think there was something going on between Bran and the NK's stare down, and NK actually looked annoyed for a second.

The biggest issue with people like me speculating is that without reading the books I can't possibly say as to what sort of powers were at play, or if the writers are even fully following the abilities of these characters in the books. Some seem like they are obvious like Melisandre's magic being necessary for to combat whatever magic was putting the flame arrows out to light the trench, but some require you to kinda go into the twilight zone like me guessing NK saw Arya approaching through the general's eyes.

12 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Even Maisie Williams said in an intwerview she tought she didn't deserve this scene and everybody would hate her :giggle:

2 hours ago, matigrosso91 said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat lol, some fragile masculinity here. Arya killing the Night King with the same dagger which was used to try kill Bran, and suspiciously was given to her by Bran himself, that's completely feminism magic, of course 1f644.png 

Arya, Cersei and Daenerys are some of the main characters since the beginning, they're not some girls who suddenly appears and save the day out of nowhere. And the series has three episodes left, we didn't even know what's gonna happen; Jon himself could be the king, Daenerys could declare war to him for the Throne and we could have a new Dance of Dragons, even the White Walkers could return... 

I could agree with some critics, the strategy was clearly sloppy, but whining about stop seeing the series because a little girl save the day is... well, better not say it.

hear hear.

GoT is not toxic feminism. Just remember all the things these women went thru to toughen up. Sansa had the worst because she was always raised to be a perfect lady, she never learned how to physically protect herself and she had no dragons. She had to be strong while being sweet, that's tough.

And besides it was already said by the producers the scene regarding Lyanna Mormont was there to please the fans because Lyanna build up a little fan following. I just hope we see more of Tyrion (it's almost as if he was deleted from the series past seasons) and Jon in the next episodes.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

I honestly can't imagine being so insecure that anytime a woman does something cool I get offended by it.

Don't worry your fedora-wearing head about it, a man will sit on the Iron Throne by the end.

If that scene was cool to you, you need to get your head checked mate, no offense. If Sam would have killed the Night King out of nowhere, or Podric, or even Theon, I would have been just as mad because just like Arya, none of them had any business taking out the most dangerous being in the history of this world with a measly dagger, right beside a full row of White walker bodyguards. The fact that it was tiny Arya, the mary sue girl that magically got to have superpowers after cleaning the floor+corpses for months and having some very basic martial arts training with a wooden stick for a while, is just another nail in the coffin because it was even more ridiculous than any other possible person doing it. Let's be real here, aside from Dany and Brienne, no female character currently in a position of influence deserves it. They are either in power because they fucked shit up enough for all other candidates to die(Cersei, and that was in no way intentional), they cried enough for someone to help them while they stay back(Sansa) or they just got superpowers out of nowhere (Arya). Other ones like Olenna and the snakes are already dead, and these other characters should be too, but they aren't. Many other characters died for less, despite being stronger and smarter, and they weren't nearly as dull to listen to if you compare them to Cersei or Sansa. You know what was cool? Dany clumsily shoving her sword in a wight or two. She killed something herself despite having no idea what she was doing, but she wasn't going around taking down White Walkers or Ice Giants. Sansa using her dagger in desperation on a skeleton wight would have been a cool scene too. The trick is using things in moderation and somewhat according to a characters abilities and role, male or female, just like when Tyrion took out a few scrubs with his weapon during the battle of blackwater bay, which was something reasonable for him to do, but he did not fly through the air to sink the flagship of Stannis with a hammer.

The series has decreased in quality a lot since the females took over the vast majority of relevant positions, which always seems to happen in any series or new movie if it is done by force and without the characters having the substance needed for the position. The writing has become more and more lazy, none of the characters seem to have a brain anymore, even Tyrion was reduced to a fool so he does not outsmart his simpleton of a sister and make her look bad. There are no great characters like Tywin, Roose Bolton or littlefinger left, the surviving ones are neutered so much that you can barely recognize them anymore, and single characters just did too much by teleporting around the huge world in an instant. Just drop the political correct shit that is clogging your brain and realize that you just saw a little kid that would be unable to fight a normal man, yet alone a Wight, take out an undead ice giant by herself. Then you watched another slightly bigger girl take out the greatest threat to mankind by flying past all his supernatural bodyguards and stabbing him with a dagger, causing him to explode, and that in a series in which the characters supposedly have no superhero powers. It was enough of a stretch when Sam did it a few seasons back, but that was against a lonely naked and distracted Walker that had no idea Sam was armed with a weapon that could damage him. Tell me how that does not sound like some crappy fan fiction to you.

You probably would have liked it too if Eowyn from lord of the rings, who had a well done scene slightly similar to this but well better written, just ran up on the outside of Saurons tower like Naruto, made a flip and then stabbed his eye to instantly kill him, because that would be on the same scale to what just happened in Game Of Thrones.

The only real fun thing for me about this episode is the thought of George rr Martin reading the script for this shit, that must have been a sight to behold. Can't wait to see if Super Arya saves the day in the book too while Jon and Dany, the actual main characters, are screwing around with wights.

I hope now that all the interesting enemies are gone and the last remaining obstacle for the throne is pretty much 3-4 characters, with a shell of a royal army and some mercenaries who don't have any means to deal with the remaining dragons, the series goes back to its roots and cuts back on the bullshit a little. This series was good because of how the characters acted, the conversations they had, how their ambitions and desires formed the realms, open war is only entertaining for so long, especially if the strategies and tactics used are so stupid that a 5 year old playing Age Of Empires for a day would laugh at it, and the potentially impressive visuals are not visible in the dark.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

blah blah blah

Okay man we get it, you listened to Ben Shapiro and/ or Jordan Petersen once and now you're an expert on how exactly female characters should be represented and developed, totally ignoring all that they have actually been through. The writing has been lazy the last two seasons but if you think Arya is "magically superpowered" (and don't use the term mArY sUe, especially in regards to her,  not only is it overrused but also very, very off in this case) then you've missed out on a lot. I don't even like Sansa at all and still you don't give her half the credit she deserves. But whatever, your mind's made up. I do so hope you can bear to watch the rest of it without your blood boiling. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Okay man we get it, you listened to Ben Shapiro and/ or Jordan Petersen once and now you're an expert on how exactly female characters should be represented and developed, totally ignoring all that they have actually been through. The writing has been lazy the last two seasons but if you think Arya is "magically superpowered" (and don't use the term mArY sUe, especially in regards to her,  not only is it overrused but also very, very off in this case) then you've missed out on a lot. I don't even like Sansa at all and still you don't give her half the credit she deserves. But whatever, your mind's made up. I do so hope you can bear to watch the rest of it without your blood boiling. 

Dude, I am not from the USA, I don't even know the two people you mentioned. How about they just use female characters in a somewhat sensible way, like most of the males, build them up and make them fit their role, not going full op. You are free to explain things you think I missed instead of just assuming it is all for naught anyway. I am willing to listen how Aryas months of cleaning and fighting another girl with wooden sticks, finished with some weeks of training by the faceless mentor tops, is giving her the ability to use all weapons perfectly, fight Brienne, get through a castle full of wights and fly through the air like a superhero while ignoring all White Walker Bodyguards and just oneshot the Night King on her own. It wasn't even a team effort, like teaming up with Theon or The Hound, or the Red Womens magic, it was her soloing the biggest threat to mankind. If that is not magic superpower crap, then what is?

Or you could tell me how Sansa playing the crash test dummy for a bunch of people and then getting saved by Theon, Podric and Brienne is worthy of credit. All she did the entire series was cry, then once sending a raven to get her creepy admirers army to a battlefield, tell me one more thing she did that had any impact. She did not fight, she did not learn anything useful other than "trust no one aside from family, and Brienne" and she did not really change anything other than the one battle she asked for littlefingers aid, her input is always ignored by Jon and she was so bad at motivating people to fight for house Stark that Davos had to do that job for her. Being abused does not make you better, it makes you distrust people but not much more, maybe changes the way you look at life like with Theon, but thats about it. It is not an accomplishment to be a life long victim and still being unable and unwilling to defend yourself or make yourself useful in any other way.

@BG_painter You are free to actually engage in a discussion instead of posting some outdated meme picture. If you are of the opinion that this episode was pure gold and all the things I complained about are actually well written milestones, like little Super Arya one shotting the supernatural dragonslaying zombie king, the undead army being merely a speedbump on the way to Cersei with the night king being a brainless mute, characters doing stupid things or the battle decisions being on a toddlers level, I am actually curious to hear the reasoning behind it, as I know you are able to have that kind of discussion. So far though, two people just used the good old "toxic male" card without adressing most of my points, which is typical, almost like they have no sensible arguments to make but want to swing at critics anyway because their favorite characters honor is at stake. You yourself have not contributed much so far to that specific topic either, so you could try and do that now or you just ignore me, but then commit to it instead of trying to be funny with some memes that are ten years out of date. I will no longer press the issue of this episode by myself, as I doubt anything with substance will come from defenders of this episode, and I am only watching the next episode if the reviews are good to save myself from another big facepalm.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

@Nighcisama I don't know, Nigh, are you really willing to be reasonable or to listen to what ppl are saying? You said that I am not willing to engage.... that i might not even be capable too.... but did you read my past posts? It actually counters all your points without AD HOMINEM.

Read what I said:

5 hours ago, BG_painter said:

Even Maisie Williams said in an intwerview she tought she didn't deserve this scene and everybody would hate her :giggle:

GoT is not toxic feminism. Just remember all the things these women went thru to toughen up. Sansa had the worst because she was always raised to be a perfect lady, she never learned how to physically protect herself and she had no dragons. She had to be strong while being sweet, that's tough.

And besides it was already said by the producers the scene regarding Lyanna Mormont was there to please the fans because Lyanna build up a little fan following. I just hope we see more of Tyrion (it's almost as if he was deleted from the series past seasons) and Jon in the next episodes.

You have all the right to be upset at the episode and to be raging on it, but that doesn't mean we have shitty opinions for liking it or for thinking it was okay or good. I posted a meme with an intention of making the conversation less "heavy". Some ppl find it funny, some don't.  All of the ppl here in the thread disagree with your opinion that it is feminism. All of the ppl of thread pointed their opinion regarding what you said as well. If you are going to accept or not, fine. I don't care, know1 does. We don't need to prove you anything, we don't need you to validate our opinion. Also I will post a very nice video, Liana Kerzner, a feminist, explaining why Arya is not a May Sue. I agree with some things she says in the video but she has valid points.  That is it.. I rest my case.

EDIT: Also i will ad, you sound like some troll o know of this forum. For a moment I thought he was using your acc. But nvm it.

Edited by BG_painter

41 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Okay man we get it, you listened to Ben Shapiro and/ or Jordan Petersen once and now you're an expert on how exactly female characters should be represented and developed, totally ignoring all that they have actually been through.

Honest question: what do Ben and Jordan have to do with the discussion?

I understand you calling out @Nighcisama for being upset a female killed NK with a dagger (gasp!!!), but why even bother fighting fire with fire by trying to make an obviously apolotical television series political?

2 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

Honest question: what do Ben and Jordan have to do with the discussion?

I understand you calling out @Nighcisama for being upset a female killed NK with a dagger (gasp!!!), but why even bother fighting fire with fire by trying to make an obviously apolotical television series political?

he claimed it was feminism before, don't you think that is a political claim? :giggle:  feminism is a political activism movement of the extreme left nowadays...