This Game Runs Terribly for Me

SuperSaiyan3985

I just wanted to say that I'm playing on a 2016 OG model PS4 and the game runs like a shitshow. I get frame rate drops all the time whenever I'm riding, textures are sometimes late to render, and random bugs like objects disappearing or me falling through the ground are commonplace. I honestly can't believe they shipped the game like this. It's so disheartening because I think the game would be fantastic without these optimization issues. I wanted to see how the game was running for you all and on which model of the PS4. 

• Like 1

Standard PS4 Slim ... I definitely get the frame drops and late texture/object rendering.  I have never fallen through the ground though.

While it's a shame to see a first party PS4 exclusive not use the hardware well enough, especially as I jump to a multi-platform open world game like Red Dead Redemption 2 that looks ten times better and runs ten times better... Days Gone isn't unplayable or anything.  For me at least.  Bend Studio just isn't quite on the level of other first party devs (Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac, etc) or the higher tier of third party devs like Rockstar.  Not all games and dev studios are built equally.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

Got my og PS4 in 2015 which I then upped to 2gb.

Yes it has flaws, everyone is aware of them. Although it was a slight annoyance that frames were dropping, textures not rendered in time or even the early sound drops but it really didn’t bother me. (I didn’t experience any crashes or game save corruption that some have)

Then again I’m in the one percent. I’ve never been one to buy a game for its graphics, it’s reviews or even because my friends have it. I make my own decisions when purchasing/enjoying game on it’s storyline and character development for me.

Also I think those that have slated this game should cut the devs some slack. Days gone is also a brand new ip, although it’s a common genre nowadays. They also patched the game 4 times (quote me if i’m wrong) in the same week to help some issues!

Maybe i’m being biased because I loved the game idk

Edited by shakie19
  • Like 1

I will wager that getting a PS4 Pro isn’t worth it at this point if you don’t have it. There are places online and some retail stores that will take in your PS4 for some trade in value, just as long as you wiped out everything and backed up your data. You still have to pay a bit for a Pro, and 4K TVs are still not at the price point I want. 

Going back to Days Gone, Bend Studios prior to Days Gone had one notable game under their belt which was Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The quality was not as good considering it was made for a portable (PS Vita) and the writing wasn’t as solid. Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Insomniac Games all have had a lot more experience than Bend Studios, but they still did alright. 

When I was a kid I wanted a game because it was visually impressive. Today I buy a game based on its genre and how appealing the gameplay is over the notion that graphics equal a great game, which is stupid logic. 

Maybe the PS4 Pro runs Days Gone more efficiently? I don’t know.

Played on PS4 Pro, one of the noisy older models. Definitely had frame drops, but I only noticed a severe hit once or twice around Diamond Lake. I mean 5fps severe, the game just froze.

As far as other bugs go, I've never fallen throught the ground, physics never got weird. The popping textures looks like a common thing, I even noticed it on cutscenes, but it never bothered me that much.

Playing on a PS4 pro and i barely had any issues before the final third of the game. Then I experienced all the issues the rest are mentioning above except for corrupted saves and falling through the ground. As for the game itself, I liked it a lot till the final third where the game starts falling apart in terms of story and the motivations of certain characters. Wasn't a fan of the ending either. Its a good game but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anyone other than hardcore playstation fans who might feel the need to play every sony exclusive

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Standard PS4 Slim ... I definitely get the frame drops and late texture/object rendering.  I have never fallen through the ground though.

While it's a shame to see a first party PS4 exclusive not use the hardware well enough, especially as I jump to a multi-platform open world game like Red Dead Redemption 2 that looks ten times better and runs ten times better... Days Gone isn't unplayable or anything.  For me at least.  Bend Studio just isn't quite on the level of other first party devs (Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac, etc) or the higher tier of third party devs like Rockstar.  Not all games and dev studios are built equally.

Agreed. You got to give it to Bend studio though with developing a new IP, moving to more of the console space, and working with their limited resources. I love the heart and passion behind the game. It’s evident from the interviews they have done and their strong social media presence. Enjoying the game myself.

• Like 1

I played on a launch pro with a hybrid drive (digital version of the game) and didn’t have many issues. I had some frame drops when drifting through standing water and when it was raining but it wasn’t too bad. The only other issues occurred when 1.06 came out and the game would hard crash the system every few minutes. 

PS4 Pro, only slight hitching once when it snowed for the first time.  The second patch the game had and onwards was pretty much perfect although I had some minor hitching again in the very last main story mission but that wasn't an issue at all.

Ps4 Pro. One bug, fixable by reloading, frame rate drops when on bike sometimes, item pop up occasionally. Overall it's great.

If you think this is bad you never played Fallout: New Vegas or Mercenaries 2 on PS3. Hell, even Xcom 2 on PS4

Edited by September_Rust
  • Like 1

2 things that helped me on PS4 Slim:

1) Rebuilding database in settings (not initializing, only rebuilding)

2) Not playing after rest mode. When i completely turn off the console and then turn it on, the game runs better (textures load better and less frame drops)

I still get some bugs on patch 1.07, but i noticed that performance is better after rebuilding data and playing without rest mode. To enter safe mode hold down your power button until you hear 2 beeps, keep controller plugged in via USB. Do Not use option "6", initializing will delete ALL your games and updates! Option "5" will tune your hard drive and it will run slightly better, hope this helps

playstation-4-rebuild-database.jpg?itok=

Edited by Rise_GKM

On 16/5/2019 at 9:47 PM, Rise_GKM said:

Video If you wanna try it, make sure you do not choose option 6, that one deletes everything

Is it useful to run a bit better even other games? Sorry but I'm kinda noob about hardware and stuff like that lol is it somehow a way to clear the "cache" of PS4?

3 hours ago, tjoe1bkhjtqxm said:

Is it useful to run a bit better even other games? 

Yes, it helps every game. It's a "disk defrag", it will rearrange files on your PS4's hard drive so the system can run slightly faster

About clearing cache, according to Activision support, all you have to do is turn off the console

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Deleting-Old-Files-from-PlayStation-4-and-Xbox-One-Consoles