Copanele's collection of trophies and experiences

Copanele

29 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

I find it pretty funny how with other games being comparable to Dark Souls, someone came up with endearing term "Soulslike", with it being a widely agreed upon appreciation... Yet when it comes to other game genres or series out there, you find fans who rip each other apart at the notion of one being "similar" to another like it's a bad thing! πŸ˜‚ Dark Souls fans EMBRACE inspiration from others!
It's bizarrely awesome how Souls games and Heavy Metal music are considered hardcore from outside audiences, yet their fans are somehow the most wholesome! πŸ˜‚

Ohhh don't speak too soon...there's some out there that dislike Lies of P because it's a GOOD Soulslike, like it's a sin to have a GOOD fromsoft inspired game. Nah, there are some crazy fans out there, like in any other community. Maidenless, all of them πŸ˜‚.

Β 

Buut I admit, most of my best online friends are because of Dark Souls. So, you can find good people too :DΒ 

(i do agree that Heavy Metal fans are overall very wholesome though ! )

Damn dude, you had a busy week!

Β 

On 1/21/2024 at 9:34 AM, Copanele said:

:platinum:Β 265 - Lies of P

Lies_of_p_cover_art.jpg

Β 

I'm so glad that guy from My Chemical Romance finally got his own video game!

Β 

Edit: Did I already say that? Short term memory loss is a bitch, man... don't drink, kids.

Β 

Seriously, this looks great. I loved how in depth you got with the combat, made me wish I was playing it now! I'm really intrigued to see what they do with the story, it's always so interesting to see how these old stories were before they got Disneyfied within an inch of their lives, plus you seem so taken with it!

Β 

I'm excited, dude - I've got a spiritual successor to play after Bloodborne!

Β 

On 1/25/2024 at 2:16 AM, Copanele said:

:platinum:Β 267 - Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves collection

(Uncharted 4: A Thief's End + Unncharted: Lost Legacy)

uncharted-legacy-thieves-keyart.jpg

Β 

You've done a stunning job of making me wanna get back on the Uncharted horse, I gotta say! I am stuck with the PS4 version of U4, I'll have to figure THAT mess out... but a solid series ending just sounds like too great a thing to miss - and I was kinda meh on Lost Legacy, thinking there's no way I'd wanna make room for more Uncharted, but I think you've successfully slapped it into my backlog!

Β 

How dare you.

Β 

Great shit, my dudeπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘Š

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 3

On 1/28/2024 at 9:02 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Damn dude, you had a busy week!

Β 

Β 

I'm so glad that guy from My Chemical Romance finally got his own video game!

Β 

Edit: Did I already say that? Short term memory loss is a bitch, man... don't drink, kids.

Β 

Seriously, this looks great. I loved how in depth you got with the combat, made me wish I was playing it now! I'm really intrigued to see what they do with the story, it's always so interesting to see how these old stories were before they got Disneyfied within an inch of their lives, plus you seem so taken with it!

Β 

I'm excited, dude - I've got a spiritual successor to play after Bloodborne!

Hah that's a new one, so far I know that P looks like the guy from Dune πŸ˜‚

Β 

Oh this is definitely not a Disney story holy damn it wouldn't get past the controls :lol:Β but it's a fantastic one nonetheless.

And picture this - the game made my Sifu playthrough (upcoming) review to be a walk in the park πŸ˜‚Β so even bigger thumbs up to Lies of P. You'll love it!

On 1/28/2024 at 9:02 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Β 

You've done a stunning job of making me wanna get back on the Uncharted horse, I gotta say! I am stuck with the PS4 version of U4, I'll have to figure THAT mess out... but a solid series ending just sounds like too great a thing to miss - and I was kinda meh on Lost Legacy, thinking there's no way I'd wanna make room for more Uncharted, but I think you've successfully slapped it into my backlog!

Β 

How dare you.

Β 

Great shit, my dudeπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘Š

I have no clue how, but apparently I motivated several people to get back to Uncharted :lol:Β glad I could do that! Although, I am sorry for the PS4 multiplayer struggle πŸ˜…

As for Lost Legacy...you know, I think you'll enjoy it, it felt like a free dessert. Just, don't try to play it on Crushing from the first playthrough like I did, it will sour the experience!

• Like 2

Congrats on the 100%! I was really bummed you didn't like Sifu, I'd been hearing so much good stuff about it and it really looked right up your alley. So it's a real shame that the game was that clunky. I was considering getting it, but now... Might have to come off the wishlist πŸ˜…

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MissShake said:

Congrats on the 100%! I was really bummed you didn't like Sifu, I'd been hearing so much good stuff about it and it really looked right up your alley. So it's a real shame that the game was that clunky. I was considering getting it, but now... Might have to come off the wishlist πŸ˜…

Thanks! It really kinda broke my heart to be fair πŸ˜…Β and at this point it would make me glad to see people tell me I am wrong and say they had zero issues with Sifu, because someone at least enjoyed it.

Β 

A rare case where I wish I could fully tell "this game is a piece of shit" but I can't...

• Like 2

Congrats! Sifu sounds good in theory but not implemented well from what I've read here. I agree with what you said about how the game should be precise if it expects precision. That's why I liked Skullgirls and BlazBlue but not MVC 3 (gonna get hate for that one lol).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I quite enjoyed Stick Fight as a party game with the boys the last time we had a gathering, but I can't imagine playing it online. After a few drinks and 'winner stays on' rules, this was quite a laugh. Congrats on the completion!

Β 

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

RECOMMENDATION - One Finger Death Punch 27d9361eb-e7ef-4b77-8877-0686f3c43e2b.jpegΒ a vastly superior "stickman" game, where you perform various kung fu moves on waves of other stickmen, all on a kung fu soundtrack. It was actually a fun time, unlike this garbage here

Β 

I have never seen anyone else even talk about this game, let alone recommend it. Really fun game, perfect mindless violence after a full day of work.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, HelixNebula_x said:

I quite enjoyed Stick Fight as a party game with the boys the last time we had a gathering, but I can't imagine playing it online. After a few drinks and 'winner stays on' rules, this was quite a laugh. Congrats on the completion!

Hah yes in that particular instance I can imagine it being mad fun.

Online playing it seriously though...nah πŸ˜…

12 hours ago, HelixNebula_x said:

Β 

I have never seen anyone else even talk about this game, let alone recommend it. Really fun game, perfect mindless violence after a full day of work.

The kung fu in this game hits all the right spots 😌

I played the first one on PC too, just as fun :DΒ 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 5:16 AM, Copanele said:

:platinum:Β 267 - Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves collection

(Uncharted 4: A Thief's End + Unncharted: Lost Legacy)

uncharted-legacy-thieves-keyart.jpg

Β 

So I'm super late to the party, but I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed Lost Legacy!Β 

Β 

It's my favorite Uncharted game and I feel it's almost criminal how little recognition the game gets within the franchise. I agreed with *everything* you said.

Β 

On 1/25/2024 at 5:16 AM, Copanele said:

And now...let's turn to the main star of the show..Β Nadine.

Β 

In Uncharted 4, Nadine was "a goon, but woman". Sorry that's how I saw her, many praised her as being a badass for kicking Nathan around, but to be real the idiot Nate has 0 combat experience and he fought against a mercenary leader who lived all her life by waging war. Well, in Lost Legacy, Nadine gets one whole ass character arc, by being an actually curious and knowledgeable woman with a hidden desire for adventure, burdened by her mercenary life. She's a walking animal Wikipedia and it was absolutely hilarious to see her pointing out animal trivia and baffle Chloe with all that random knowledge.

Β 

Nadine in U4 was a typical Hollywood Strong Female Characterℒ️ (essentially, take the template for generic tough guy and add boobs), whereas in U:LL she was allowed to be an interesting and multifaceted character - who just so happens to be a woman with masculine traits!

Β 

Your review made me want to revisit the game again! It will probably be some time before that happens, but reading through your entire Uncharted Series experience has been a delight - thanks for sharing it with all of us!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

Β 

So I'm super late to the party, but I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed Lost Legacy!Β 

Β 

It's my favorite Uncharted game and I feel it's almost criminal how little recognition the game gets within the franchise. I agreed with *everything* you said.

Β 

Β 

Nadine in U4 was a typical Hollywood Strong Female Characterℒ️ (essentially, take the template for generic tough guy and add boobs), whereas in U:LL she was allowed to be an interesting and multifaceted character - who just so happens to be a woman with masculine traits!

Β 

Your review made me want to revisit the game again! It will probably be some time before that happens, but reading through your entire Uncharted Series experience has been a delight - thanks for sharing it with all of us!

Thanks! Yeahhhh took a while but I finally had no complaints about an Uncharted game πŸ˜‚Glad the post was a motivator for revisiting the series (in the future :DΒ )

Also welcome back!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Copanele said:

:platinum:Β No. 275 - Quake

Quake1cover.jpg

Β 

Platinum Name -Β Β 1S579039.pngGreat Old One

Hardest Trophy -Β 35S45e077.pngΒ Otherworldly - Complete Dimension of the Past on Nightmare difficulty

Β 

And finally, my last Leap Day entry and the game that earns a spot in the milestone list, another remake of a glorious game, revived by Nightdive Studios (at this point they're legends themselves). Quake is one of the oldest and best retro shooters out there, created by the conflicting minds of John Romero, John Carmack, American McGee, Sandy Peterson and Tim Willits (grandfathers of First Person Shooters). It's a jumble of ideas, concepts and directions and one of the most fun shooters I have also had the pleasure to play in the latest years.

Β 

ss_fab1adc5438d3ee487c0fdde2289c717b714a

One angry dude, one mean ass shotgun and a bunch of baddies that can rip you to shreds. What more could you ask?

Β 

Since there were so many designers involved in this game, Quake's story is a messy one. Basically, an evil otherworthly entity called Quake is sending his evil minions to conquer Earth. Earth needs to be defended so you're the perfect man for the job. The game is split into 4 episodes, each episodes starts in a marine base infested by soldiers and always ends up in weird castles populated by knights, behemoths and all manner of monstrosities. You have to collect the 4 runes which will unlock the portal to the Eldritch horror Shub-Niggurath.

Β 

What's that having to do with Quake? Who even is Quake? Who knows, who cares, just grab that damn double barreled shotgun and go to town!

Β 

Stupid story aside, the biggest strengths of Quake are the gunplay and the level design. Quake was an amazing game for its time, easily surpassing Doom in terms of capabilities, and the level design was so well structured you kinda understand why the old retro shooters were so addictive back in the day. Each level is carefully crafted, every monster is placed so it is a hindrance, but it never feels unfair (again, unlike Doom who just loves to kick your ass). The weapons feel incredibly good and you always have enough ammo to deal with whatever the game throws at you, but never too much that you would feel TOO comfortable (at least on higher level difficulties).

Each level also has secret rooms that hold extra weapons/armor, stuff that will definitely help you in your next encounters. Some levels even can lead to other secret levels, some of which are incredibly well hidden but if explored, they'll offer an even higher amount of weapons and ammo.Β 

Β 

736px-Quake_-_Screenshot_1.jpg

The welcoming committee

Β 

In terms of arsenal, your weapon varieties are limited but fully functional. You have an axe as your basic melee weapon and a single action shotgun who acts more like a gun. Later in the game you can find a nail gun (replacement for a machine gun), a grenade launcher and even a lightning gun. Each of these weapons have an unofficial upgrade, you being able to later find a dual barrel shotgun, a minigun that shoots with nails and the most infamous weapon in the Quake series, the rocket launcher. These upgrades pack a mean punch at the cost of more ammo per usage, and the rocket launcher can even be used to reach inaccessible places by launching yourself with a rocket (at the cost of a part of your life, so don't use it if your life is low!). While these weapons are rather simple, they are very effective, each being more than enough to tackle the beasties that serve Quake.

Β 

And boy, are the beasties nasty! While the usual marines that appear in the first level of each chapter die in 1 hit, the moment you get teleported to the various castles and magic places the difficulty spikes up. The first and most annoying enemies are the chainsaw wielding ogres that lob grenades at you. You'll also find an assortment of knights and death knights who will tear you to shreds if they come to you. You also have Fiends, hulking gorilla like monsters who can hop across the screen and slap you around. Then there's the Scrags, floating ghosts that love to pelt you with green ooze and run around. Vores are some spider monstrosities that shoot tracking crystals after you (and dear god do those crystals TRACK), the only way to avoid them is taking sharp 90Β  degrees turns and hope that the crystal hits a wall. Finally, Shamblers are the most damaging enemies of them all, behemoths that shoot lightning at you and deal an insane amount of damage if they get too close to you. They're very resistant to rockets so only nails or electricity can beat them.

And then there's the spawns...blobs that only appear in one chapter, jump around, inflict a ton of damage and explode if they die, potentially one shotting you.Β 

So yeah...a very fun menagerie of monsters.

Β 

What I found interesting about the monsters in Quake is that they can kill each other or even they can start infighting if one monster attacks the other. For instance if one of the Ogre's grenades accidentally hits a Shambler, that Shambler will de-aggro you and go after the Ogre who will in turn fight the Shambler. With well thought strategies, you can even start a monster rumble where every single dumbass monster starts shooting in his allies while you can just chill in the background and simply execute the remaining monster, too fatigued to deal with you. This was always fun to see and it proved to be a viable strategy in Nightmare difficulty, more on that later.

Β 

quake.png

Death Knights also have access to projectiles, making them an annoying enemy to face in this game regardless of their placement.

Β 

In true Nightdive Studios fashion, Quake Remake doesn't only bring the main game. This game also contains the 4 expansion packs:Β Scourge of Armagon, Dissolution of Eternity, Dimensions of the PastΒ andΒ Dimensions of the Machine.Β These packs are "expansions" to the story, which honestly it's just a reason to play more Quake :DΒ 

Β 

Scourge of ArmagonΒ is a direct followup of Quake, where you discover that just because you defeated an Eldritch entity, doesn't mean that Quake has stopped fighting you. Instead you will face Quake's general, Armagon and his legion of enemies. Still don't know who Quake is but who cares!

This expansion is introducing some new enemies, the Centroid - mechanical scorpions that shoot nails at you, the Gremlin - actual ehm..gremlins..that steal your own weapons from you, and floating mines - just as the name says, a floating mine that explodes on impact. The levels are longer but there's no noticeable difference in terms of level design. You do have a new laser cannon to use as a weapon, which is a welcoming addition.

Β 

Dissolution of EternityΒ in contrast is Quake turned up to 11. You get new weapon upgrades that use Lava, which is a new way of inflicting pain upon the enemies. The best upgrade in the game is reserved to the rocket launcher, who now can shoot 4 homing rockets and easily becoming the best weapon in the game. The levels now have various old cultures motifs, you being sent through places like Rome, Egypt and even a Mesoamerican level. And at the end you face a dragon who is the shittiest boss in the game.

Uh yeah...this is the place where Quake really makes no sense in terms of lore.

Β 

Dimensions of the PastΒ is a "retelling" of Quake, however not in a great way. You replay a toned down version of the main campaign, with way more enemies packed together and way less ammo. Dimensions of the Past is my least favorite mission pack just because it's straight out unfair with monster and ammo placement, a thing no other Quake mission pack did.

Β 

Dimensions of the MachineΒ is the least "Quake" type of game, you being thrown in odd levels like a volcano, an "Olympus" like level with marble and columns, a sewer....honestly Dimensions of the Machine is the most nonsensical Mission Pack of them all. It's also the longest and, while I enjoyed the design, it's the only time where I really got bored of playing Quake.

Right after that I replayed the main campaign on Nightmare difficulty and ... yeah it was the mission pack that was boring, not the game :DΒ 

G7YA2MpP3L3fWMK3zqX3H.jpg

A very impressive level in DotM, but it doesn't really feel like Quake

Β 

A few words onΒ Nightmare Difficulty. In order to get the platinum, one condition is that you have to finish the entire game and its mission packs on Nightmare Difficulty. At first it sounds like a massive ordeal - you can only have a maximum of 50 health, the only way to increase this health is by finding health boosters that give you an extra 100 HP. That HP slowly drains until you reach 50 again. The ammo is a bit more scarce, the enemies are more resistant and they pack way more damage. In order to have a chance of survival, you have to find the various secret rooms filled with ammo and armor that are lost throughout the level.

Β 

You'd normally think that it will be a legit nightmare to finish the game, but surprisinglyΒ the game is really balanced!Β As long as you don't rush, conserve your ammo, try to find as many secret areas as possible and start infights between monsters, the Nightmare difficulty is actually a pleasant experience where you can fully appreciate the oddly solid fundamentals that the game has. Other than Dimensions of the Past where the ammo REALLY was an issue, the game never posed any serious issues on Nightmare difficulty.

Also, a hefty dose of quick save/quick load helped with this endeavor :DΒ no reason to hide that!

Β 

quake.jpg

You don't want to get hit by THAT on Nightmare difficulty

Β 

All in all, Quake is a fantastic shooter from an old but gold era. Even with the age, Quake proves that sometimes it's just fun to kick back, relax and explode various monsters in a thousand pieces with no real reason.Β I can't recommend this game enough, which is why I also made this game as my 275th platinum.

Again, thank you Nightdive Studios for allowing me to replay a gold game with updated controls while still retaining the classic atmosphere.

Β 

THE GOOD:

• amazing retro shooter despite its age
  • Nightdive Studio once again proves what it means to do a PROPER remake
  • fantastic level design, created by the titans in the industry at that time
  • simple yet fun gunplay
  • varied monsters that will test your skills
  • a lot of mission packs that gives you more Quake to shoot
  • Nightmare Difficulty is tough but fair, a rarity in the world of First Person Shooters

THE BAD:

• game is old - you really need to be ok with the retro-ness of it
  • don't expect the story to make any sense at all
  • Dimensions of the Past and Dimensions of the Machine aren't too Quake-ish
  • god forbid you shoot a rocket near you - the splash damage would be greater than any damage the monster could inflict

RECOMMENDATION - Turok 2 Seeds of EvilΒ Turok_2_Seeds_of_Evil.pngΒ another old school shooter where you pew pew mutated dinosaurs with the weirdest arsenal in the history of FPS.

Β 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Β 

And there it is, all Leap Day games reviewed. I am never doing these kinds of "plat rain" events again :DΒ I like to play games at my own pace!

And now time for Quake 2?

20 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

And now time for Quake 2?

At a certain point yes 😁 maybe after I finish the struggle that is Wet.

I already own Quake 2 so a playthrough is inevitable!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Copanele said:

At a certain point yes 😁 maybe after I finish the struggle that is Wet.

I already own Quake 2 so a playthrough is inevitable!

Well I hope you enjoy it more than I did!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Well I hope you enjoy it more than I did!

Yep I remember you didn't like the second one too much compared to the first one (I reread your post to refresh my memory😁)

I shall see, if the atmosphere in Q1 is lost in Q2, then I will probably have the same experience. Regardless, it shall be played! Probably will also play on Normal, I don't need the Nightmare stress anymore πŸ˜„

• Like 1

Awesome write-ups, Copanele. I loved reading through these, especially those last two about Soul Calibur VI and Quake, as those are games that deeply interest me. =D

Β 

SC VI, in particular, looks like a proper continuation of the series. V was rather bland despite being mechanically solid. VI looks like it's going to be more of the same but with a more familiar cast, I guess? I just hope the fights and main campaign can be as interesting as they were in the old SC games. And man, Taki was always stacked as fuck. Not my favorite female fighter in the series, but she definitely carries the largest plot with her. xxD

Now, Quake sounds sweet. I love me some old-school shooters, and Quake here sounds exactly like Doom but with more 3D-ishness to it, which is just awesome. This is not surprising considering that the developers behind it are the same guys from Doom. Honestly, the appeal of these boomer shooters always lies not only in their fast-paced action and movement but also in the strategic combat of having to micromanage which weapons you're going to use and how you can turn the monsters against themselves and whatnot. It's all good fun. ^^

Β 

Quake's nightmare difficulty sounds a lot like Doom 3's, in which you have to deal with your health continuously trickling down to 25. That and the beefed-up monsters of course. Challenging, but still entertaining and fair.

Β 

Classic Doom's nightmare difficulty, though. Oh boi, I really look forward to the day you boot those up. The amount of cussing I'm going to read on Discord is going to be spectacular, lmao. xxD

• Like 3