Fall/Winter 2019-2020 Backlog Challenge

13 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

No, put fire crystals for defense and ice for offense on Shale and activated its Stoneheart ability. The dragon almost always focused on it and let the others attack at range. Mainly controlled Wynne to let her heal and use Cone of Cold.

Come to think of it, that's what I did as well (I forgot about Shale and its tankiness). Well, the first part at least. I still had everyone poke it in the bum.

Also, from memory spirit defence and nature offence makes the final boss a cakewalk.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:

Come to think of it, that's what I did as well (I forgot about Shale and its tankiness). Well, the first part at least. I still had everyone poke it in the bum.

Also, from memory spirit defence and nature offence makes the final boss a cakewalk.

Shale was (and still is) one of my favourite characters from a Bioware game. She was so great!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JayDeLosDioses said:

I have to admit, playing with @freddie1989 sparked something in me ... I've had way more fun doing the plat for Far Cry 5 today than I had getting back into AC Revelations. The tractor is currently grinding kills for me ^_^

I'm actually playing with the thought of getting New Dawn next instead of Black Flag.

I kinda like Jared Leto (I know it's not him, but Joseph looks similiar imo) as the villain - not as good as Vaas but way better than Pagan Min

If only the coop and endings weren't so messed up Far Cry 5 would be such an awesome game

Glad I could get you into it bud.

I played 1 hour of Zombi Survival and it still sucks so I have been playing God of War instead which isn't on my list as its for the ABC challenge.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

It's Monday update time from me (full list in spoiler tag) with some more progress in Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition. The trophy list is much slower paced in the meta-stuff it asks of you in comparison to many other games which parallel main story campaigns and general progress a little more closely. It's also a much shorter list too, which is interesting...

Aside from that though, i'm really loving this game and I'm so glad that in a week or two the sequel drops on PS4 (It's been out since last year on PC). Fingers crossed that it'll be more optimized than this one.

Reveal hidden contents
  1. :platinum: Control :platinum:
  2. :platinum: Wolfenstein Youngblood :platinum:
  3. :platinum: Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan :platinum:
  4. :platinum: Yakuza 3 Remaster :platinum:
  5. :platinum: Borderlands 3 :platinum:
  6. :platinum: MediEvil :platinum:
  7. :platinum: Tacoma :platinum:
  8. :platinum: The Outer Worlds :platinum:
  9. :platinum: Yakuza 4 Remaster :platinum:
  10. :platinum: Death Stranding :platinum:
  11. :platinum: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order :platinum:
  12. :platinum: NieR: Automata :platinum:
  13. :platinum: Oxenfree :platinum:
  14. Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition 4% > 33%
  15. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - 0%
  16. Subnautica - 0%
  17. Moons of Madness - 0%
  18. Dragonball Z: Kakarot - 0%
  19. Journey to the Savage Planet - 0%

It's a beautiful game if very slow to load at times. I think I dropped it because it is a long game and new releases caught my attention but I fully intend to go back to that and play POE2 when they hit. Nothing really helpful to add, just I'm rooting for you on your platinum hunt and I look forward to reading your thoughts and feelings about this.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Flex_Da_Brent said:

If necessary, devs could always replace them by including some in game challenges/achievements for the multiplayer which would then unlock certain benefits for the singleplayer perhaps to make those trophies a bit easier for example

Far Cry 5 did this with the Arcade Mode. You've earned some money to spend on weapons in singleplayer, and I think you even got some Perk points for a few level ups. But other than that the whole mode was a waste of time.

But I admit that my interest for CoD multiplayer would be higher if I could earn some, I'd call them trophy tokens.

Instead of earning another skin I'll never use for x-headshots with the AK-47 you would instead get a token and can trade them if you like.

It should be a grind imho, the "legit" way should always take less time/ be easier than the "other" way, staying with the CoD example - instead of completing Mission X on Veteran or whatever the hightes difficulty is in the game you can trade... I'd say 10 tokens for a "harder" trophy. But maybe that's to easy...

There're probably hundreds of theories by now how to change the trophy system, but as long as Sony and most of the devs don't really care about trophies it's just dreams :(

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StilRh said:

It's a beautiful game if very slow to load at times. I think I dropped it because it is a long game and new releases caught my attention but I fully intend to go back to that and play POE2 when they hit. Nothing really helpful to add, just I'm rooting for you on your platinum hunt and I look forward to reading your thoughts and feelings about this.

Thanks @StilRh - really appreciate it :) will definitely share when i'm done. 

• Like 1

I've noticed people are announcing the're drops and swaps.

At this point, I've used all 7 swaps and 2 drops. So nothing will change further. My two drops were Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories and Kingdoms Hearts 2. I will play them eventually, just won't get to the before this event ends.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2020 at 8:16 AM, Flex_Da_Brent said:

I'm kinda hoping AAA developers start to realise the advantages of a good trophy list as well in order to make them a bit more interesting and fun (hard but fair challenges, no multiplayer, no unnecessary mindless grinds etc.) but I'm also kinda afraid they will actually start to abuse them by locking the plat behind microtransactions for example or adding prized DLC which just consist of trophies and no additional content (which perhaps has even been done already, not sure about that). Some developers *cough* EA *cough* have already proven not to be too ashamed for these kinds of practices, which is starting to worry me a bit. Rather a dull trophy list than an expensive one.

Actually it won't ever get too bad on PSN at least.  Sony has a rather low upwards limit for the number of trophies that can be put into a game, I think it's 100?  That definitely limits the amount of abuse possible via DLCs.  However, there are games that do lock the plat behind DLC, one example is Life is Strange, but that one isn't too bad because the game is typically sold with all the DLC.

However, it is a very real problem on Steam.  There are devs who release free games and then lock most of the achievements behind DLC.  There are free games that have so much DLC and content that most players aren't able to finish it all and they keep adding more and taking forever to release the DLC for it.  There are games that have content that was really more of an update locked behind DLC.  Steam's upwards limit for achievements in a game is 5000, so devs can do this for quite a long time..  Want to see an example of an expensive 100%?  This one has a few hundred dollars worth of DLC and is still releasing more.  To actually get the 100% as it stands now you're looking at a good 1000+ hours here. https://store.steampowered.com/app/351030/Pixel_Puzzles_Ultimate_Jigsaw/

So for all that people say Sony doesn't care much about the trophy system, they actually do maintain some integrity.  Games like this won't ever see the light of day on consoles and be glad for it.  There may be some easy plats, but Sony does make sure that a dev can't include 5000 trophies that can be unlocked in a few hours and a ton of DLC packs that add trophies faster than players can earn them.  It doesn't prevent every possible crappy practice from devs, but it definitely helps a lot to be fair towards players who enjoy getting that plat/100%

• Like 1