Last Good Modern Assassins Creed In The Series?

Jeffboy24

Assassin's Creed jumped the shark when they told you to be "stealthy" while sailing a warship. Looking at you Black Flag.

And also in AC3 when they mounted a naval ram on a sailing ship with a bowsprit. Not only does that cause the ships to get entangled to each other by their rigging, but would anyone care to explain to me just how you would back your ship away after you rammed another ship, when your ship is propelled BY SAILS? See, for a ramming to be successful, that requires you to be able to back away from your target in an expeditious manner after you've executed the maneuver. And that can only occur one of two ways:

1. With an engine. And modern warships only ram another vessel when their skipper is hankering to be relieved of duty. And,

B. If your ship is propelled in battle by oars, such as in the case of a galley like in Ancient Greece. And that was only because you can't sink another ship with a recurved bow.

• Like 4

Couldn't agree more. Hell, Syndicate may even be in my top 10 games of the decade. Well, that or Black Flag, depending on my mood.

Apart from the story, which was pretty good by AC standards, Origins is just a repetitive slog as an actual game. It redefines meaningless busywork in a world of nothingness as a core mechanic for games. It's subject to the same unnecessary soul-destroying "reboot" approach that ruined Breath of the Wild and consequently, the Zelda series' future.

Haven't embarked on my Odyssey yet... I'm giving it a ten hour grace period in which I'll give it a chance, before I just decide to zonk out and grind it out while listening to some tunes. We'll see.

• Like 1

I like the new ones fine, but they are a totally different game now. My favourite remains Unity, with Revelations as a strong 2nd, but I’ve enjoyed my time with origins and Odyssey. I do miss the old formula sometimes, but hey, there are more remasters than I could shake a wrist-blade at, so I can’t get mad about it - and them shaking it up is no bad thing after so long.

the main thing I miss is the competitive multiplayer though. That was such a great mode, and it sucks that it got taken out 

• Like 1

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

I like the new ones fine, but they are a totally different game now. My favourite remains Unity, with Revelations as a strong 2nd, but I’ve enjoyed my time with origins and Odyssey. I do miss the old formula sometimes, but hey, there are more remasters than I could shake a wrist-blade at, so I can’t get mad about it - and them shaking it up is no bad thing after so long.

the main thing I miss is the competitive multiplayer though. That was such a great mode, and it sucks that it got taken out 

I didn't like Unity. Arno was too impulsive during the story, and his relationship with Elise should of been done a lot better. Ubisoft tried to make Arno into another Ezio early in the story but gave up on that after the death of Elise's father.

Collectibles were horrible, side missions were boring and uninspired.

What I've played so far, Syndicate is my favorite of the 'modern' Assassins Creed. I started to like the Frye twins, and the antagonists weren't that bad either. Syndicate was definitely more cheerful and upbeat than Unity, which was taken seriously and was treated as a melodrama from start to finish. Collectibles were still boring but at least I didn't have to collect over 200 damn chests with half of them locked behind doors and guarded by 3 - 4 idiots.

Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood remain my favorite story wise, but that's pretty much every other long time Assassins Creed fans opinions. So nothing new there.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I thought the modern day portions of Black Flag were very interesting. The whole "the Assassin's Creed series exists within the games' world but the Templars made them biased towards them" concept is genius to me but after that game the modern day stuff just was clearly tacked on.

Ezio's games and all the stuff in his story (including stuff like Embers) are the height of the series.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/17/2019 at 7:40 AM, Spaz said:

When you had Desmond Miles and Lucy Stillman in the present day fighting Warren Vidic and his Abstergo thugs, and when you had Ezio Auditore take on Cesare Borgia and Rodrigo Borgia, THAT was when Assassins Creed was at it's best story wise and when it was best keeping tradition to the Assassin vs Templar conflict.

Ever since they killed off Lucy Stillman and Desmond Miles, Ubisoft has gone to just throwing shit on the wall to see if it sticks. I knew something was very wrong when you played a mute, faceless boring Assassin working at Abstergo during the events of Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag. Rebecca Crane and Shaun Hastings, the two surviving Assassins from Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood, make a brief appearance in the game but it doesn't amount to anything. You literally treat Black Flag as a video game within the present day storyline. Assassins Creed Rogue expands on this further because the story takes place after Black Flag, but still, why did I have to play a nobody for a chunk of the game?

Assassins Creed 3, Black Flag, Rogue, Unity and Syndicate had their moments music wise. But I still think Jesper Kyd had the best music in the entire franchise.

Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey I don't really consider to be Assassins Creed games per se. They're something entirely different. Both of their storylines take place long before Altair and his Assassins left a mark on history, there is no real Assassin vs Templar conflict because technically, they don't exist. I see Odyssey as more of a fun take on Greek Mythology and a look on Ancient Greece rather than a conflict that stays true to the series. Origins just started what Odyssey has expanded upon, a fleshed out RPG system where you can swap out weapons and keep track of other things. Definitely NOT what the old Assassins Creed was about.

I don't think anybody at Ubisoft cares about Desmond Miles, the story that started with the original Assassins Creed and led through Assassins Creed Revelations and Assassins Creed 3, the First Civilization or the story arcs that surrounded a number of key characters in the franchise. They made Origins and Odyssey because in my mind they probably saw how great and successful The Witcher 3 was and decided to make the world map huge because apparently people nowadays love these huge ass maps. All with a RPG system to boot.

Assassins Creed lost a lot of it's original identity and now serves as a money making machine for Ubisoft to line their pockets. There's no doubt that Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey are both good games in their own right. But Ubisoft should of just given them different titles instead of just slapping the Assassins Creed label onto them. Because there's enough rabid and obsessed fans out there that will buy anything that has the name Assassins Creed attached onto it.

I wish I had seen this earlier. This is the same AC soap box I stand on too! I'm glad I'm not alone on this. Thank you.

On 10/1/2019 at 11:10 PM, Dark Prince said:

RPG style saved AC series. AC was dying out with the old gameplay format.

Exactly. Just proves devs can do nothing right. People was crying out for something different because the series was going very stale, year on year the same game but a different setting. In my eyes origins and odeysey was brilliant but i agree with the op that syndicate was amazing too. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 5:10 PM, Dark Prince said:

RPG style saved AC series. AC was dying out with the old gameplay format.

Except they flipped the entire premise of an Assassin's Creed game upside-down.  They took a stealth franchise and turned it into a Hack 'N' Slash. Loyal fans are going to feel burned by that. 

On 9/17/2019 at 7:40 AM, Spaz said:

*snip*

Well said! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elekidcore said:

I wish I had seen this earlier. This is the same AC soap box I stand on too! I'm glad I'm not alone on this. Thank you.

3 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Well said! 

Pretty late since I made the comment back in September, but thank you both for the compliments.

Unpopular opinion time:The first Assassin's Creed is the only game the in the series where you play as a genuine assassin and that's why it's my favorite. 

That being said and after having just replayed the first game. Ubisoft actually set the stage around the Isu from the start. Desmond's story is actually just an example of how many moves ahead the Isu are and how well they can manipulate humans to do their bidding so it makes sense that they disposed of the character once his role had been fulfilled. The Assassin/Templar battle is a farce, no more significant than two children fighting over toys.

1 hour ago, majob said:

That being said and after having just replayed the first game. Ubisoft actually set the stage around the Isu from the start. Desmond's story is actually just an example of how many moves ahead the Isu are and how well they can manipulate humans to do their bidding so it makes sense that they disposed of the character once his role had been fulfilled. The Assassin/Templar battle is a farce, no more significant than two children fighting over toys.

The ending of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood is a good example of how the Isu manipulated Desmond as a key character got killed. My problem was they tossed a lot of that out after Desmond was done. The newer games (Origins and Odyssey) tried to bring back some of the story telling that made the first few games great.

The Assassin's trying to hide and conceal themselves from Abstergo in the present day storyline is a more sophisticated version of what you got in the viewing of the ancestors. In the Renaissance it was Ezio Auditore leading a small band of Assassins against Rodrigo Borgia and his group of Templars. By AC 3 it was Connor getting into arms against his own father, who didn't share the same ideals of a world society. Then Ubisoft basically tossed out much of the Assassin/Templar conflict as you're basically a pirate plundering ships and looting treasure. The Assassin story in Unity was handled poorly, Syndicate was an inaccurate depiction of the Victorian era so the Assassin/Templar battle didn't mean a lot to me. The story was done so comically in that game it was rather hard to take it seriously. 

In Origins the player is supposed to understand and see how the Assassins came to being. Odyssey is sending time back even further by a few hundred years, it has more appeal by taking place in Ancient Greek times while you battle mythological monsters and sail the seas. The "Assassin" in Assassin's Creed isn't all that relevant anymore.

Killing off Desmond was a big mistake, from then on the backstory has just been weak.

I think they need to take the story back to its roots, including proper hood wearing assassins, and forget the long haired warriors. I am in two minds if I even want to play the Viking game, and really not digging the art style either. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ziggypop_79 said:

Killing off Desmond was a big mistake, from then on the backstory has just been weak.

I think they need to take the story back to its roots, including proper hood wearing assassins, and forget the long haired warriors. I am in two minds if I even want to play the Viking game, and really not digging the art style either. 

Agreed.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla just looks a bit too much like For Honor. Some of the characters remind me of God of War 2018. Add in the Game of Thrones feel to it too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lord_Azrath said:

Last AC game I bothered finished and enjoyed was AC Rogue.

Only 2 AC games I liked were Black Flag and Rogue.

same here, i just did not like the forced FP sections due to the perspective. It was making me very sick (motion sickness) so luckily they did not last long. Too Bad you do not have an option to skip them.

Edited by Void
  • Like 1

I do agree that Syndicate is the last Modem Assassin Creed in the series that still retain most of the original game-play that AC1 and 2 establish. But after finishing the story and most of the game, I find it one of the weakest title of the series, mainly because of its story, the weak villains and lack of immersion, and it kind of like a parody of the series in general. I mean yeah the grappling hook is great, but it ruins the parkour that the series focus on, and the combat is just terrible. Not to mention like Unity, there's no modern story game play.

I got so bored of the game play that I got back into Just Cause 3 to make it more exciting. Its now clear to me now that the Assassin Creed series needed to change,  evolved, but I'm not sure if the RPG route that Ubisoft choose is the right course. I heard Origin was really good, but Odyssey just distance itself much more and feels more like another game, but Ubisoft just slap the AC logo on it for a better sell result. Lets just hope Valhalla get back on the right route to revive the series again.