One of the worst games ever

RachelCharlotte

Usually I'm trying my best not to be too negative and I kept playing this game hoping to discover some redeeming quality.

But I feel I have to put this here for anybody whom the current sale might tempt into buying this game.The trailer looks nice, the game itself is anything but.

I'm not even talking about the obvious technical shortcomings (although they, too, are shamefully plenty), and even the boring and repititive mechanics (however they pulled that of in a game that lasts less than two hours) could have been somewhat forgiven.

My main problem lies with the 'story': Apart from the very basic plot of someone building a tower and a dangerous dragon sitting on top of it, most sentences are some wanna-be deep nonsense.

And just when I was starting to get lulled into thinking this game was stupid but harmless, the most bizarre message appears: 'Every weapon becomes stronger if you bathe it in the blood of the innocent'. I'm not sure, maybe I'm overreacting, but that for me crossed a line. They could have said that a sacrifice were necessary, but no, as a general rule they encourage murdering the innocent to become powerful enough to kill a dragon...

But even without this quirk, the game would have been far from enjoyable, so I strongly recommend everyone not to waste your time and money on this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, a player whom with effort and whatever forgives gameplay aspects of a game but bashes instead on developer 's physolophy to declare a game one of the worst ever?

Well, that's new here.

And the more subjective statement I've seen here.

I've seen that game sometimes on sale, but never really low (I mean knowing already its length), at this point I think I'll never grab it. Thanks for the sharing.

18 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

I thought it was good. If you think it's one of the worst games ever then you clearly haven't played many games.

Would you care to elaborate as to why you think this is a good game? That would be far more helpful than making stupid claims about the number of games I can compare Toren to :-)

2 hours ago, RachelCharlotte said:

Would you care to elaborate as to why you think this is a good game? That would be far more helpful than making stupid claims about the number of games I can compare Toren to :-)

It's doesn't harrass you with cutscenes and dialog. No bloat to artificially extend the game. It's like a budget Journey. Short and to the point. If you got it expecting the same as you get from triple AAA games then I can understand why you'd be disappointed.

My claim about games to compare it too still stands. There's literally 100s of games worse than this.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

It's doesn't harrass you with cutscenes and dialog. No bloat to artificially extend the game. It's like a budget Journey. Short and to the point. If you got it expecting the same as you get from triple AAA games then I can understand why you'd be disappointed.

My claim about games to compare it too still stands. There's literally 100s of games worse than this.

How does a bad game being short make it a good game? Sure, it still could have been worse, but why does that make it good in your eyes?

Apart from that, it does exactly what you claim it doesn't do: Or did you really think the sequences where you have to fill shapes with salt were interesting? Or those where you repeat the same step over and over again, moving, stopping, moving, stopping?

How about the countless times when the old man told you a story? Were they better than cutscenes because the developers couldn't be bothered to even animate them?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RachelCharlotte said:

How does a bad game being short make it a good game? Sure, it still could have been worse, but why does that make it good in your eyes?

Apart from that, it does exactly what you claim it doesn't do: Or did you really think the sequences where you have to fill shapes with salt were interesting? Or those where you repeat the same step over and over again, moving, stopping, moving, stopping?

How about the countless times when the old man told you a story? Were they better than cutscenes because the developers couldn't be bothered to even animate them?

You're missing the point of what they are saying.  They aren't saying this is a good game.  They are saying that calling this "one of the worst games ever" shows you haven't played a lot because there are far worse games.  Me, I just deem you lucky for not getting roped in by a crappy game before now.

Yes, I agree the game isn't that great, but it has one trait that already sets it above many games: it's not a buggy nearly unplayable mess.  I've played games that I honestly couldn't tell you if the game itself was good or not because it didn't even work.

• Like 3

All the indie pay to plat shovelware have lowered people's standards so much that you can't even call a game shit anymore lest we anger the shit connoisseurs ?. How many times have we seen this exact same thread? Someone dares mention "worst game ever" and all the "Uhmm, Ackchyually" people come out of the woodwork to make the thread about them. Just a suggestion, when someone says "one of the worst games ever" it's kind of implied that this is his subjective opinion and you don't have to mention it to him? Ever heard of hyperbole? People say stuff like "Omg that movie was like the worst thing evuuur" to emphasize how shitty it was, all the time, it's a common expression alright, you don't have to take things so literally. The whole thing is like the Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen scetch where 4 people try to one up each other on their rags to riches story until no one can truly call themselves poor anymore and living in a cardboard box is considered a luxury. Is it even a game if it doesn't even work? You'll hear the weirdest shit on this site.

42 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

You're missing the point of what they are saying.  They aren't saying this is a good game.  They are saying that calling this "one of the worst games ever" shows you haven't played a lot because there are far worse games. 

True, but is there any reason to descend into pedantic nonsense in these threads?

Perhaps the game is not as bad as The Unknown City. In fact, I can guarantee that it's not that bad. But honestly, do we need some guardian(s) of language every single time a poster engages in a bit of hyperbole? 

10 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

All the indie pay to plat shovelware have lowered people's standards so much that you can't even call a game shit anymore lest we anger the shit connoisseurs 1f602.png. How many times have we seen this exact same thread? Someone dares mention "worst game ever" and all the "Uhmm, Ackchyually" people come out of the woodwork to make the thread about them. Just a suggestion, when someone says "one of the worst games ever" it's kind of implied that this is his subjective opinion and you don't have to mention it to him? Ever heard of hyperbole? People say stuff like "Omg that movie was like the worst thing evuuur" to emphasize how shitty it was, all the time, it's a common expression alright, you don't have to take things so literally. The whole thing is like the Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen scetch where 4 people try to one up each other on their rags to riches story until no one can truly call themselves poor anymore and living in a cardboard box is considered a luxury. Is it even a game if it doesn't even work? You'll hear the weirdest shit on this site.

This guy completely gets it. We should create some rules for posting:

1. Any opinion expressed is by its very nature subjective. We don't need someone explaining, "This is your opinion. It's not fact." Of course it isn't fact.
  2. When someone says, "This is one of the worst games ever," if the best comeback you have is that there are still worse games, the OP wins. Please read the statement, "This is one of the worst games ever!" as "This is one terrible game!"
Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, every year there is a "worst game ever", until the next year, then wash, rinse, repeat.  I've played some really bad games and it never ceases to amaze me that developers can actually beat that by bringing out something that is the pits. What eases the pain are the really great games that come out every year!

On 10/1/2019 at 8:28 AM, RachelCharlotte said:

And just when I was starting to get lulled into thinking this game was stupid but harmless, the most bizarre message appears: 'Every weapon becomes stronger if you bathe it in the blood of the innocent'. I'm not sure, maybe I'm overreacting, but that for me crossed a line. They could have said that a sacrifice were necessary, but no, as a general rule they encourage murdering the innocent to become powerful enough to kill a dragon...

This annoys me, too. It's like we're turning up the evil dial, for the sole sake of turning up the evil dial. Did this little comment help immerse you more into the 2 hour game? Of course it didn't. They could just as easily have said, "Every weapon becomes stronger if you bathe it in the stuffing of your favorite childhood plush animal", and it means exactly the same thing.

2 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

You're missing the point of what they are saying.  They aren't saying this is a good game.  They are saying that calling this "one of the worst games ever" shows you haven't played a lot because there are far worse games.  Me, I just deem you lucky for not getting roped in by a crappy game before now.

Yes, I agree the game isn't that great, but it has one trait that already sets it above many games: it's not a buggy nearly unplayable mess.  I've played games that I honestly couldn't tell you if the game itself was good or not because it didn't even work.

Someone that gets what I'm trying to say! Thank you.

2 hours ago, panikooooos said:

Someone dares mention "worst game ever" and all the "Uhmm, Ackchyually" people come out of the woodwork to make the thread about them.

And someone that doesn't

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

This guy completely gets it. We should create some rules for posting:

1. Any opinion expressed is by its very nature subjective. We don't need someone explaining, "This is your opinion. It's not fact." Of course it isn't fact.
  2. When someone says, "This is one of the worst games ever," if the best comeback you have is that there are still worse games, the OP wins. Please read the statement, "This is one of the worst games ever!" as "This is one terrible game!"

1. So the OP is entitled to say worst game ever!!!! But I can't say I enjoyed it?

2. Another that clearly didn't get the point I was making.

3 hours ago, RachelCharlotte said:

I played it years ago. All I remember was that it's alright and I enjoyed it. Bad game? No. Forgettable? Yes.

3 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

He has Orc Slayer plat so... 

2 hours ago, panikooooos said:

All the indie pay to plat shovelware have lowered people's standards so much that you can't even call a game shit anymore lest we anger the shit connoisseurs 1f602.png. How many times have we seen this exact same thread? Someone dares mention "worst game ever" and all the "Uhmm, Ackchyually" people come out of the woodwork to make the thread about them. Just a suggestion, when someone says "one of the worst games ever" it's kind of implied that this is his subjective opinion and you don't have to mention it to him? Ever heard of hyperbole? People say stuff like "Omg that movie was like the worst thing evuuur" to emphasize how shitty it was, all the time, it's a common expression alright, you don't have to take things so literally. The whole thing is like the Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen scetch where 4 people try to one up each other on their rags to riches story until no one can truly call themselves poor anymore and living in a cardiac board box is considered a luxury. Is it even a game if it doesn't even work? You'll hear the weirdest shit on this site.

He’s asking people to argue why it’s not bad, so he’s not being subjective. Even if he was it’s our subjective opinion of his opinion. Which we’re also allowed. “Opinions are fine, but not if they’re about opinions. Unless I do it, then it’s fine.” 

• Like 1

How are there so many people around who don't even bother to read anything?

• RedDevil757 says 'I thought it was good.'. I ask them why they thought it was a good game and then someone comes along and claims 'They aren't saying this is a good game.' :facepalm:
  • Naming one or two games that might even be more terrible does not invalidate the statement that Toren is one of the worst games...

And in the end, the fact still remains that so far not a single enjoyable quality has been named. Since the purpose of this thread was to help people contemplating buying this game with their decision, it would be a far better idea to contribute something to this instead of arguing about irrelevant and trivial points... I have given enough examples as to why I think this game sucks and after going through the list of 326 games that I earned at least one trophy in (obviously I don't have such a list for SNES games etc.) I still maintain that it is by far the most offensive game I ever played and even though I can think of other terrible games that I experienced in one way or the other, I can't find nearly enough examples for Toren not to deserve a prime spot on the list of the worst games ever.

(But seeing how some poeple actually assume that I'm male I should not be surprised about them missing the point of what they clearly didn't read very thoroughly...)

Edited by RachelCharlotte

40 minutes ago, RachelCharlotte said:

How are there so many people around who don't even bother to read anything?

• RedDevil757 says 'I thought it was good.'. I ask them why they thought it was a good game and then someone comes along and claims 'They aren't saying this is a good game.' :facepalm:
  • Naming one or two games that might even be more terrible does not invalidate the statement that Toren is one of the worst games...

And in the end, the fact still remains that so far not a single enjoyable quality has been named. Since the purpose of this thread was to help people contemplating buying this game with their decision, it would be a far better idea to contribute something to this instead of arguing about irrelevant and trivial points... I have given enough examples as to why I think this game sucks and after going through the list of 326 games that I earned at least one trophy in (obviously I don't have such a list for SNES games etc.) I still maintain that it is by far the most offensive game I ever played and even though I can think of other terrible games that I experienced in one way or the other, I can't find nearly enough examples for Toren not to deserve a prime spot on the list of the worst games ever.

(But seeing how some poeple actually assume that I'm male I should not be surprised about them missing the point of what they clearly didn't read very thoroughly...)

No they understood what I was trying to say. It was never gonna win game of the year but I got it in a sale and enjoyed it. It's a cheap indie game.

You're very lucky if Toren is one of the worst games you've ever played.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 21/10/2019 at 10:07 PM, RedDevil757 said:

No they understood what I was trying to say. It was never gonna win game of the year but I got it in a sale and enjoyed it. It's a cheap indie game.

You're very lucky if Toren is one of the worst games you've ever played.

I guess they haven't played Khara which is a Toren rip-off and the devs don't even respond to player's concerns!