Ever played a game so good, you just can't jump into the next one?

Metal

We've had some positive threads here on the site, but it's rare to see something this wholesome.

I don't think I've ever actually stopped playing games for a while just to let the previous experience sink in, but some experiences are so breathtaking that they just linger in the back of your mind.

Ookami was the game that did it for me. I've never seen such a perfectly realized game in terms of story, gameplay, music, atmosphere, aesthetics... everything is just cream of the crop. I got goosebumps just from the ending.

More recently, Persona 5 got second place in my favorite games of all time list. I already liked Personas 3 and 4 (a lot), so the impact wasn't as big... but Jesus, everything in that game is just so good. They've improved on an already excellent formula to deliver us a near-perfect experience.

I see some people in here talk about Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls, Chrono Trigger and Yakuza, some games that I already have in my backlog. Now I'm even more curious to try them out.

(Well, I don't actually have Dark Souls, I have Bloodborne and Sekiro... think the impact will be similar?... ? )

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

I just don't enjoy games like Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc. after playing From Software's games, because I now expect the same level of combat immersion. If the Souls series had ten stacks, I'd be doing ten platinums.

I'm right with you there. I'm glad other people other than myself is saying this. Haven't really been on forums much so it's nice to see.

17 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

I just don't enjoy games like Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc. after playing From Software's games, because I now expect the same level of combat immersion. If the Souls series had ten stacks, I'd be doing ten platinums.

I haven't played any of those games yet. I know they are highly regarded too. I totally get you though. I'm looking forward to shooting for the Platinum on all From Soft games. Something about their games just pull me in like nothing else. I don't know exactly what it is about them. Be it the difficulty, the depth, the incredibly satisfying combat or just the overall package (incredible world building and the intrigue that continually drives you on). But I know they make games that I can totally loose myself in. I'm even considering buying a ps3 for Demon's Souls but I'll likely hold back on that as I've heard rumours of a potential remaster in the works. 

Edited by FierceMetal

6 minutes ago, Zenpai said:

We've had some positive threads here on the site, but it's rare to see something this wholesome.

I don't think I've ever actually stopped playing games for a while just to let the previous experience sink in, but some experiences are so breathtaking that they just linger in the back of your mind.

Ookami was the game that did it for me. I've never seen such a perfectly realized game in terms of story, gameplay, music, atmosphere, aesthetics... everything is just cream of the crop. I got goosebumps just from the ending.

More recently, Persona 5 got second place in my favorite games of all time list. I already liked Personas 3 and 4 (a lot), so the impact wasn't as big... but Jesus, everything in that game is just so good. They've improved on an already excellent formula to deliver us a near-perfect experience.

I see some people in here talk about Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls, Chrono Trigger and Yakuza, some games that I already have in my backlog. Now I'm even more curious to try them out.

(Well, I don't actually have Dark Souls, I have Bloodborne and Sekiro... think the impact will be similar?... 1f61b.png )

Oh. With Sekiro and Bloodborne for sure. They basically improve on combat in my opinion and while I think Bloodborne is better. You can't go wrong with Sekiro.

I'd also like to say that all the games you mentioned there are great but I'd recommend you play Yakuza 0 specifically as that has everything you need in a Yakuza game and a great one to start on since it's a prequel to the whole series.

• Like 1

A few games come to mind:

Overwatch - I still play it despite having unlocked all the trophies, and it's my go to game when I'm taking a break from trophy hunting. I remember the very first time I played it, I played for fifteen hours straight! I was hooked. At the time, I only played D.Va because she was soooo fun, then when I tried another character the game felt brand new! While there's a lot of luck-based trophies, don't let that stop you from experiencing one of the best games of this generation!

Bloodborne - This was my first Souls experience and ohhh man it definitely lives up to its hype! The depth, the ebb and flow, and the speed of the combat make it very rewarding. After getting the platinum for BB, I played another action title, Nier: Automata, and it was unimpressive to say the least. It encouraged me to try out Nioh and while that was much better than Nier, it didn't hit like Bloodborne.

Monster Hunter World - Like OW, this is a game I come back to from time to time. While I don't think the combat is as good as BB, there is something about that makes me come back. If you intend to get the platinum, you're in it for the long haul, but for me personally I loved the grind.

12 minutes ago, The_UW_98 said:

I'd also like to say that all the games you mentioned there are great but I'd recommend you play Yakuza 0 specifically as that has everything you need in a Yakuza game and a great one to start on since it's a prequel to the whole series.

Yakuza 0 is precisely the one I got!

Bloodborne. After beating all the different endings I had to take a few days from gaming just to let every aspect of this epic nightmarish tale slowly sink down into my consciousness.

This is still my Game of the Generation, just edging out God of War (2018) from that top spot.

I love the fact how the different endings really make you revaluate your journey through the game to see the entire story in a different light depending on what ending you choose. 

I have never felt like that with any game before, well not that intense anyway.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Zenpai said:

(Well, I don't actually have Dark Souls, I have Bloodborne and Sekiro... think the impact will be similar?... 1f61b.png )

Thanks for your post! 

As someone who is new to the Forum (Forums in general to be honest), it's nice to know I've contributed a positive thread. 

Ookami is a game I've been tempted to check out for a long time. Persona is something I've never even looked into but the beauty of this thread is I'm now bumping games to play/check out up on my priority list, due to so many of the awesome replies! 

Being new to PlayStation I've never had the opportunity to play Bloodborne but I've heard it's different (in a good way) to the Dark Souls games. As a Souls fan, which it seems there are many here too, also awesome. I can confidently say that anything that From Soft put out is quality, so I'd safely say that either BB or Sekiro would be something you'll adore if you're into the kind of experience their so known for creating. 

Edit - I'm all out of Rep. It's all a bit new to me but I will be sure to dish some more out once it's recharged or whatever ??

Edited by FierceMetal
  • Like 3

None that I can recall in recent memory. Finishing an amazing game encourages me to continue playing even more, if anything. And I've got to agree with you, Shadow of the Colossus was fantastic, got the platinum for it last month. A truly memorable experience.

Edited by GraniteSnake
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

After I completed The Witcher 3 for the first time I took a very long break from gaming in general. I came back a long time after to play The Witcher 3 again and the same thing happened, did not touch my console much for months once more. Then I came back for the third time to complete the dlc and finally get the games platinum, even though it was the third time I took a break for like two months to let it all sink in. When you find that one game that you are certain never gets topped, you feel empty afterwards and barely want to touch other games because by comparison, they can only disappoint. Now there have been amazing games I played since The Witcher 3, like God Of war, but none have truly reached that level for me again. It makes me hope CDPR can do it again with Cyberpunk, though I am getting somewhat wary of this game the more I see from it.

So true. Describes exactly how I've felt this week. I'm going to start something today though. This thread has made me want to experience more games of this caliber. I may start Titanfall 2 today, I've heard the campaign is decent and it's not too long. Just got it free with plus, also. I don't expect it to be any where near the level of SotC. Which is a good thing because its unlikely I'll end up disappointed like you say. Need to get back in the mood so me and my boy can start God of War this weekend. 

Your post nailed it though. A lot of love throughout this discussion for The Witcher 3 and Nier Automata, specifically. Safe to say they seem to be must Plays. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Larzz said:

The Witcher 3. 
After spending 100+ hours in that world every other game world felt bland in comparison. 
Really took a while before I could start enjoying other games. 

can second this one. Genuinely felt sad when I got the platinum for Witcher 3. I wanted a lot more! I'll have to do the other 2 stacks for it at some point

• Like 3

Dark Souls II, back on PS3. It's not the best Souls experience, Bloodborne is still king, but it had a huge impact on me. On PS3 alone, I have about 300h of playtime, because I did not wanted to play anything else. Since the PS2 I loved God of War first hand, and started to lean towards hack n' slash games...when I died on Dark Souls II the first time, I realized this was gonna be something else than my average square square square triangle game. The combat was really engaging, and I felt challenged at every corner, and every death made me wanna push further. Getting to the end felt like a true journey, and I felt connected to the world because the lore was just as awesome. About 3 months playing it, beating the awesome DLCs, I decided it was time to move on.

Got my PS3 parked for a few months, until I saw a huge sale for Dark Souls on pc. Bought that, but I felt too overwhelmed by the convoluted map design. I chickened out, yea. Then DS III released...bought a PS4...then DS Remaster (ready to face new challenges), then Bloodborne and Sekiro. Man, FromSoft really holds a very dearly place in my heart! I just bought Bloodborne GOTY Edition just for the sake of collecting, and intend to beat that game again sometime.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 10:24 AM, FierceMetal said:

Thanks for your post! 

As someone who is new to the Forum (Forums in general to be honest), it's nice to know I've contributed a positive thread. 

Ookami is a game I've been tempted to check out for a long time. Persona is something I've never even looked into but the beauty of this thread is I'm now bumping games to play/check out up on my priority list, due to so many of the awesome replies! 

Being new to PlayStation I've never had the opportunity to play Bloodborne but I've heard it's different (in a good way) to the Dark Souls games. As a Souls fan, which it seems there are many here too, also awesome. I can confidently say that anything that From Soft put out is quality, so I'd safely say that either BB or Sekiro would be something you'll adore if you're into the kind of experience their so known for creating. 

Edit - I'm all out of Rep. It's all a bit new to me but I will be sure to dish some more out once it's recharged or whatever ??

Ookami is more like an interactive work of art than a videogame. Every minute you haven't played it is one minute too many.

Persona is one of the best series I've ever played. I generally get burned out on stuff that's too long. I need a lot of variety in my hobbies, whether games, books or TV shows. For example, while I really like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed, if I play more than one game in the series per year, I'll just get sick of it.

And yet, with Persona, I just can't get enough of it, even if all of them are 300-hour-long games. Maybe I'll play two other games in between playthroughs (just so I won't "overdose" ?), but I just thoroughly enjoy each and every minute I spend playing it.

Everyone's talking about Persona 5 right now, and you can start with that if you want to (there's no real continuity in between games, I myself started with 4), but you get a better appreciation of the series if you start with 3 (the first "modern" Persona), in my opinion. There are a few easter eggs here and there referencing previous games and it's really cool being able to see the evolution of the series' concepts, gameplay and themes.

I'll try and bump either Sekiro or Bloodborne up in my backlog list, just to see what everyone's talking about, maybe even get the original Dark Souls. After a while, the hype and excitement starts getting to you! ?

Edited by Zenpai

For me, it was the latest God of War. I fell in love with the game the first time I started it. The metroidvania-like level design, combined with ferocious combat made it an amazing experience for me. Furthermore, I enjoyed battling every single one of the nine Valkyries. The cutscenes weren't long either, so that I could get back in action straight away.

• Like 1

All the time. Back in the day, that wouldn't matter; I would just re-play the awesome game I just played. But in the age of trophies, I usually just go back to my old, incomplete games to remind me of a bad game, so I can start up a new one.

Some examples:

• Final Fantasy III (VI in Japan, this is the SNES NA version)
  • Valkyrie Profile (PS1 NA version)
  • Persona 4 (PS2 version)
  • Oblivion 
  • Persona 5
  • God of War (PS4)

5 hours ago, Zenpai said:

A couple of notes here:

1. SotC is better on PS4 than on PS3, because it has to be. The control on PS3 is a nightmare. And yet, the game is still so good that I would recommend playing it on PS3 if you have no other choice
  2. Chrono Trigger was great on SNES. However, the various ports have often been lackluster (though the GBA, or maybe it was DS, version is an exception)
  3. Bloodborne is a bit different than Dark Souls. Both are excellent, though, so I hope you try it. 
Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

I'm probably just a filthy weeb, because the only games I can really think of that have stayed with me for a long time after I finished them and put me in a bit of gaming slump have been Japanese games.

Persona 4 Golden stuck with me for a very long time after finishing it. I was getting legit withdrawal symptoms from it, and went back to it a few months after finishing it to play it again and get the platinum trophy. Exact same thing happened to me with Persona 5, and I'm looking forward to the Royal and Scramble. Dunno if I'll actually play the Royal at launch though given I've already played the original twice, and I'd rather wait for a walkthrough to go up detailing all the new content so I don't miss anything. Sadly, I didn't get the same feeling with Persona 1 or 3 FES (yet to play the 2 duology), though I did enjoy them.

Chrono Trigger is another one. I'm not old enough to have played it when it first came out on the SNES, but I did play the DS version and found it hard to move onto anything else after I finished it, especially any other JRPGs. I still hope to this day that it eventually gets the treatment the Mana games have been getting lately and gets a full 3D remake.

Also I've replayed Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 God knows how many times over the years, on Dreamcast, Gamecube and 360 (and PS3 for the first game). I've lost count, I think they're likely my most replayed games. Still gotta play the PS3 version of Sonic Adventure 2 though. I just get the overwhelming urge to go back to them every so often, and I definitely remember just messing around in both games after I finished them for quite some time as a kid before I moved onto new games, either just fooling about in the hub worlds in 1, or obsessively developing my Chao in 2. They don't really hold up well today and they can be insanely frustrating with their janky cameras, but they're still special games to me thanks to the curse of nostalgia.

All the Danganronpa games (sans Ultra Despair Girls) have stuck with me long after I finished them as well, and while I found it easier to move onto other games after finishing them, as well as playing other games alongside them (probably helps that Danganronpa doesn't exactly have much gameplay), they always left me with an urge to play something similar for a long time afterwards. I've heard good things about the Ace Attorney series but have been sleeping on it for ages. I have all the games sans the Layton crossover one, Investigations 2 and the other Japanese only titles for my 3DS (and have the first Investigations physically), and recently re-bought the first trilogy on PS4 while it was on sale. Mostly because I just wanted to feel like I actually owned at least some of the games, since I feel like I own nothing digitally on 3DS thanks to the stupid system of your games being tied to the hardware rather than your account. But also admittedly partly because of trophies. I hope to get around to them some time in the next few months. Fingers crossed they might port the second trilogy in the mainline series to PS4 at some point, and maybe even the Investigations spin-offs.

• Like 4

With the benefit of reflection I have more:

The Dragon Age games: despite the series' flaws (janky animations, clusterfucky combat and general downward slide in quality (in the RPG mechanics at least)) I really enjoy these games. The worldbuilding, characters and storytelling are fantastic, and it's probably the most invested I've been in a fictional world, to the point of inspiring my own writing. I'm looking forward to the new game, but very cautiously given Bioware's record as of late, not to mention EA (hopefully Jedi: Fallen Order's success convinces them to not butcher it to fuck, but who's to say).

The ending of Uncharted 4 (I won't spoil it as I don't know if you're interested) wrapped up things nicely and reflected back on the past games. It made me warmly nostalgic as I remembered all the fun I've had with the series. 

Have never had that happen to me to the extent I'm having it happen right now... all for a F2P Game, Warframe.

Having a hard time getting into anything else - there is always something to do!

When I finally do take a break from it i can always come back to it... just have to get to that point... :P

The game that did it for me was Soul Calibur III. Man, that game was better than apple jam...

It had everything! Tight as butt fighting mechanics, turn based strategy, decent character creator, a narrator with a cool voice, an awesome soundtrack, and that sweet spot of easy to learn, hard to master difficulty. 

I played that game to death on my old PS2! It's one of those games I'd buy the remaster on day one. None of the sequels captivated me this much. 

The break after fully beating it and unlocking everything was long indeed.

sc3banner-71014.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

All the Danganronpa games (sans Ultra Despair Girls) have stuck with me long after I finished them as well, and while I found it easier to move onto other games after finishing them, as well as playing other games alongside them (probably helps that Danganronpa doesn't exactly have much gameplay), they always left me with an urge to play something similar for a long time afterwards. I've heard good things about the Ace Attorney series but have been sleeping on it for ages. I have all the games sans the Layton crossover one, Investigations 2 and the other Japanese only titles for my 3DS (and have the first Investigations physically), and recently re-bought the first trilogy on PS4 while it was on sale. Mostly because I just wanted to feel like I actually owned at least some of the games, since I feel like I own nothing digitally on 3DS thanks to the stupid system of your games being tied to the hardware rather than your account. But also admittedly partly because of trophies. I hope to get around to them some time in the next few months. Fingers crossed they might port the second trilogy in the mainline series to PS4 at some point, and maybe even the Investigations spin-offs.

This, but with Ace Attorney and Danganronpa swapped.

And I might add Catherine as well.