RUMOR PS5 Backwards Compatible Back to PS1?

ExHaseo

The more I think about it, the more I think I understand what's actually happening. If it ends up being true anyway.

I think it's just PS3 backwards compatibility. There are PS1 and PS2 classics on PS3 through PSN, so by just making the PS5 backwards compatible with PS3 opens up the door for them to be able to say "PS5 plays back to PS1!" Even though it's just a handful of PS1/PS2 games.

Making the PS5 backwards compatible with PS3, and making all the games on PSN available, will also make it there's hundreds of games available at launch for the PS5. These are all games most people haven't played in years, and if PS3 games also use the PS5 hardware like PS4 games will, and can be upscaled, it will make them play better than ever. People will definitely be jumping on that. Especially at launch when there's only a handful of PS5 games to play. It will also save tons of money on making remasters, all while still being able to make money off of the old games through digital sales.

Because of all this, it wouldn't surprise me if there will only be digital backwards compatibility. They aren't making any money by making old PS3 discs playable. By doing digital only, they'll be able to price things however they want, and it can be a testing grounds for making the PS6 an all digital console.

Ultimately, it seems like more of a scheme to be able to make money off of the hundreds of games currently on the PS3 PSN, than anything else. Which I'm fine with. There's a ton of great digital PS3 games that would just be gone otherwise.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

The more I think about it, the more I think I understand what's actually happening. If it ends up being true anyway.

I think it's just PS3 backwards compatibility. There are PS1 and PS2 classics on PS3 through PSN, so by just making the PS5 backwards compatible with PS3 opens up the door for them to be able to say "PS5 plays back to PS1!" Even though it's just a handful of PS1/PS2 games.

Making the PS5 backwards compatible with PS3, and making all the games on PSN available, will also make it there's hundreds of games available at launch for the PS5. These are all games most people haven't played in years, and if PS3 games also use the PS5 hardware like PS4 games will, and can be upscaled, it will make them play better than ever. People will definitely be jumping on that. Especially at launch when there's only a handful of PS5 games to play. It will also save tons of money on making remasters, all while still being able to make money off of the old games through digital sales.

Because of all this, it wouldn't surprise me if there will only be digital backwards compatibility. They aren't making any money by making old PS3 discs playable. By doing digital only, they'll be able to price things however they want, and it can be a testing grounds for making the PS6 an all digital console.

Ultimately, it seems like more of a scheme to be able to make money off of the hundreds of games currently on the PS3 PSN, than anything else. Which I'm fine with. There's a ton of great digital PS3 games that would just be gone otherwise.

Making ps3 backwards compatible wouldn't automatically make ps1 and 2 as well. Backwards compatibility with the ps3 wouldn't include the entire operating system, it would more likely be emulation, and each generation of playstation would need its own emulator included.

Also iirc from reading about it awhile back, the ps2 emulation for the ps3 is actually built into all ps3 models, but locked behind firmware. There were way more games that work than what's available on the store to purchase. 

25 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Making ps3 backwards compatible wouldn't automatically make ps1 and 2 as well. Backwards compatibility with the ps3 wouldn't include the entire operating system, it would more likely be emulation, and each generation of playstation would need its own emulator included.

Also iirc from reading about it awhile back, the ps2 emulation for the ps3 is actually built into all ps3 models, but locked behind firmware. There were way more games that work than what's available on the store to purchase. 

The emulation was built into the PS3. Only the original models had the PS2 hardware built in so that every game could be played. By making the PS5 backwards compatible with PS3, they should be able to just reuse the same emulators. There shouldn't be a need to do anything else. So it should make it automatically backwards compatible with the PS1 and PS2. At least when it comes to the digital classics. Which is what I was saying. I don't think it's going to be fully backwards compatible. I don't think you'll be able to stick any disc in it and play it. It will only work with the existing PS1/PS2 classics. Because they can just run those using the same emulators they used on the PS3.

It's all just speculation either way. They very well could include a "PS3 mode" where it includes the entire OS. They also could have found a way to play the games without having to emulate, and instead run natively on the PS5 hardware. We could argue forever, but we don't know what they're doing or how they're doing it at the end of the day.

9 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

The emulation was built into the PS3. Only the original models had the PS2 hardware built in so that every game could be played. By making the PS5 backwards compatible with PS3, they should be able to just reuse the same emulators. There shouldn't be a need to do anything else. So it should make it automatically backwards compatible with the PS1 and PS2. At least when it comes to the digital classics. Which is what I was saying. I don't think it's going to be fully backwards compatible. I don't think you'll be able to stick any disc in it and play it. It will only work with the existing PS1/PS2 classics. Because they can just run those using the same emulators they used on the PS3.

It's all just speculation either way. They very well could include a "PS3 mode" where it includes the entire OS. They also could have found a way to play the games without having to emulate, and instead run natively on the PS5 hardware. We could argue forever, but we don't know what they're doing or how they're doing it at the end of the day.

To have it run natively without needing emulation would require including a cell processor on the board, which would increase the price of the system. 

Yes I know about the original models emulation, I had one of them before trading up to a slim

2 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

If they're doing backwards compatibility then they need to support inserting the disc to compete with Microsoft. Unless they're changing it with Xbox2, I'm pretty sure Xbox1 allows you to insert the disc of the titles they support for backcompat. This doesn't mean they need to support all games for backcompat, because if they go the Xbox1 route, I think I heard the disc is basically the DRM check to download the digital backcompat version.

But the bigger reason why they should support disc backcompat is that I want to play delisted PS3 games, like Final Fantasy 13.

2 minutes ago, Milktastrophe said:

If they're doing backwards compatibility then they need to support inserting the disc to compete with Microsoft. Unless they're changing it with Xbox2, I'm pretty sure Xbox1 allows you to insert the disc of the titles they support for backcompat. This doesn't mean they need to support all games for backcompat, because if they go the Xbox1 route, I think I heard the disc is basically the DRM check to download the digital backcompat version.

But the bigger reason why they should support disc backcompat is that I want to play delisted PS3 games, like Final Fantasy 13.

That's correct that the disc is just a download check.

Although FF13 was never a download, disc only

3 hours ago, vanessaking2 said:

I am worried if PS5 can be as successful as PS4. But hey, you don't know yet.

The PS4 had the benefit of MS shooting themselves in the foot with the XBone launch, that won't happen again. Odds are the race will be much more neck and neck.

1 hour ago, majob said:

The PS4 had the benefit of MS shooting themselves in the foot with the XBone launch, that won't happen again. Odds are the race will be much more neck and neck.

Well, MS have said that for the first couple of years they'll only release games that can run on Xbox one too (obviously with better resolution, frame rate and loading times, but that's all). I imagine, in part, so their whole play anywhere spiel still holds true (both on old consoles and do people don't need to upgrade their PCs).

This is a massive mistake in my opinion, especially when outlets are starting to now report that Sony will have true next gen games available day one on PS5.

May as well just wait until the full power of series X is available before buying is my thought so, yeah, bit of s shot in the foot IMO.

As for PS5 BC. PS4 is a given, and PS3 would be nice but probably out of the question. I don't care about 1 & 2. Not unless trophies are added. I already played everything I wanted to when I was younger and had shit-tonnes of spare time.

13 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Well, MS have said that for the first couple of years they'll only release games that can run on Xbox one too (obviously with better resolution, frame rate and loading times, but that's all). I imagine, in part, so their whole play anywhere spiel still holds true (both on old consoles and do people don't need to upgrade their PCs).

This is a massive mistake in my opinion, especially when outlets are starting to now report that Sony will have true next gen games available day one on PS5.

May as well just wait until the full power of series X is available before buying is my thought so, yeah, bit of s shot in the foot IMO.

As for PS5 BC. PS4 is a given, and PS3 would be nice but probably out of the question. I don't care about 1 & 2. Not unless trophies are added. I already played everything I wanted to when I was younger and had shit-tonnes of spare time.

Also to not expect any exclusives for the first 2 years either

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Also to not expect any exclusives for the first 2 years either

Microsoft is playing on the Games as a Service angle now so they're less concerned with new content and more concerned with getting subscription numbers up with their services like Gamepass. Just like how Nintendo found their niche, MS is trying to carve out their own as well. Playstation might be the last brand to use the traditional approach

1 hour ago, majob said:

I personally hope so. I don't think the lack of competition this gen has resulted in the PS4 being less good as a result, but generally speaking a main competitor is a good thing in most industries. Having Microsoft push Sony should hopefully work out for us gamers.

55 minutes ago, majob said:

Microsoft is playing on the Games as a Service angle now so they're less concerned with new content and more concerned with getting subscription numbers up with their services like Gamepass. Just like how Nintendo found their niche, MS is trying to carve out their own as well. Playstation might be the last brand to use the traditional approach

Nintendo found a niche the same way they find niches every generation, by making a new console and supporting it with 1st party games. Of course some attempts were better than others. Gamepass and games as a service are concept unrelated to Nintendo and not being used to gimp the PS5 launch.

I seriously hope I can play PS2 discs, though the games I want are rather obscure and expensive. Oh well, if I can play the games from my childhood again it'll be worth it. PS2 games are the only ones I can't currently play right now. 

In all honesty, if they do decide to do subscription based gaming and all that crap for the future, I'll buy myself an old PS2 slim instead and say that's my last Sony console.

Edited by Upendo_Vitani

22 minutes ago, Babsimabuse said:

They want the death of the physical disc and force downloads. So I don´t believe that you can use the disc of e.g. PS3 games on PS5.

They already said the PS5 will have a 4k Blu-ray drive. You know, cause Sony also sells (a lot of) movies and TV shows on those things too. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 8:37 PM, Sagaan said:

Only ps 4 games will work, wats the purpose of ps now then? Full backwards comp will never happen by sony, cuz the greed is real.

I think backwards compatibility would make PS Now more appealing, not less.  Right now, if you want to play a Playstation 3 game on PS Now the only option is to stream it.  If the Playstation 5 has backwards compatibility with the Playstation 3, game downloading becomes an option that Sony can use to sell the service, especially when you consider there will be Playstation 5 owners who missed out on the Playstation 3.

Also, another thing to consider are the older legacy consoles.  They would also be available for download as well.  Also, I don't know about everyone else, but if the Playstation 5 can play everything, I would be willing to pay a significant premium for the system.  Moreover, with the rumors about it being significantly less powerful than the Series X, I find myself reluctant to upgrade until the inevitable mid generation refresh, which means a lost sale for Sony in the short term.

If the Playstation 5 has B/C, then I would have an incentive to buy it on release.

Edited by LordBilbanes
  • Like 3