List of "Bullet Hell" games.

Bos10George

I don't have a whole lot on my list and rather not comment too much on stuff I didn't play, but I can at least rec Caladrius Blaze. It's pretty easy for the most part, except the no death trophy that takes some focus since it's easy to die in last level if you lose your nerve. I would say wait for sales on these games, they're not worth beyond the 5-10e range imo unless you're a collector who wants the limited physicals. I mean you get some very solid gameplay, but for the most part a "playthrough" takes like half an hour if you're not going to go for mastering them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bos10George said:

I would like to throw a few bullet hell games onto my resume, but I am not sure where to start.

What are some bullet hell games (with trophies) that people recommend, or even strongly do not recommend. 

Warhammer 40k, Serious Sam or Resistance series.

• Like 1

Sisters Royale: I'm being Harassed by 5 sisters and it sucks (yes, that is the actual title) is a bullet hell shooter, as are certain entries in the Touhou franchise. Senko no Ronde 2 is another one to look out for. Also, I can confirm that Earth Defense Force 4.1: Wing Diver The Shooter is a Bullet Hell shooter.

• Like 1

There have been some good recommendations already. Definitely start with Ghost Blade & Riddled Corpses to ease you in. I reckon Score Rush Extended is a great one that's a bit overlooked. Psyvariar Delta as well. Those two are definitely games that facilitate getting comfortable with this sort of game.

The M2 Shot Triggers titles are expensive but of the highest quality: Ketsui Deathtiny, ESPrade, Dangun FeveronBattle Garegga & Mahou Daisakusen are worth looking into.

Vasara Collection is cheap & the platinum is not at all demanding, great games as well. Similar kind of thing with Angerforce Reloaded. After those easy ones if you're feeling brave maybe try Fast Striker.

Astebreed, Prismatic Solid & Diadra Empty are some eccentric but well made doujins. It's not really a bullet hell but last year's Rym 9000 was certainly a special audio-visual experience & something a bit different in general. It took a few stacks but I ended up really enjoying it.

If you want to be abstract about it maybe try Minutes or Just Shapes & Beats. There are a few more titles like this where you dodge but don't shoot but I can't remember them atm.

This one is hidden & not quite a bullet hell but the ps2 version of heavenly guardian is available on ps4 on the Japanese store.

Finally gotta throw out an anti-recommendation for the Aces of the Luftwaffe games. They look like they'd be good in screens but they play horribly & every design decision is against what's good in shooters.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Are there any "bullet hell" games that are doable for the average to slightly above average player?

Stuff like Raiden IV, Ikaruga and Jamestown Plus are far too difficult for my liking. I don't have the skill to do those very difficult "bullet hell" games. Sine Mora just looks like a medieval torture chamber.

40 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Are there any "bullet hell" games that are doable for the average to slightly above average player?

Stuff like Raiden IV, Ikaruga and Jamestown Plus are far too difficult for my liking. I don't have the skill to do those very difficult "bullet hell" games. Sine Mora just looks like a medieval torture chamber.

Ruiner is fun, visceral, and doable. And it has a cyberpunk/akira motif if that's helps.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6687-ruiner

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Check out Tesla vs Lovecraft. Twin stick bullet hell lite. 

Ghost Blade HD is an enjoyable "bullet hell" title, not too difficult. Velocity 2X is a mixture of shmup and platformer, fused together quite nicely. Furi I wouldn't necessarily consider a full on "bullet hell", but it's still fun and the soundtrack is kick ass.

Those are about the only ones I've really done.

Edited by Spaz

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

Earth Defense Force: Wing Diver The Shooter is very doable for someone who isn't that great at this genre (I managed it in less than a week and I suck at this genre) but the DLC is another matter since you have to be a Shmup god to get through the final levels.