A game that made you almost quit trophy hunting?

RedDead3001

Anna: Extended Edition. I don't know why, but it just kinda struck me suddenly that I just didn't want to do it. I  hated that game so much that it was literally killing my love for trophy hunting, and gaming in general. I mostly stopped gaming until Callisto Protocol came out and I started loving to hunt for them again. I'll always remember the feeling of just pure mental exhaustion and emptiness I felt when playing Anna and how badly I just wanted to stop hunting because that game made me miserable.

Edited by Monochrome

Uncharted trilogy, not going to lie. Brutal difficulty was just incredibly difficult in certain sections because of how quickly Nate dies.

There's a part of me that wishes I just played them without getting the platinums, but at the same time I am glad I was able to do it. It was one of my toughest challenges yet.

Edited by ChilledBrandon
  • Like 2

“Stroke the …”  (hedgehog, etc)

I did a lot of easy platinum games (ratalaika etc), but those “stroke the” “games” have really help me to realize that I was on the wrong way.

I have almost not touch my ps5/4/3/vita since those “stroke the…”, even forgot to add free psn+ games to my game library during the last membership months that I still had at this time.

Uncharted 4 actually made me quit.

I got to the end of the game on Crushing difficulty where there are a few notoriously difficult sections.  I managed to get through what was widely considered the hardest part, only to get thrown into a combat section in a narrow corridor with no ammo, no way to go back to get ammo, no way to go forward to get ammo, barely any cover and too many enemies to melee my way through.  If I reset, I would've had to play the impossible part again.

I learned I could turn on some cheat menu settings and not disable trophies (to this day I assume they do that since they know Crushing is broken lol).  So I finished the game and just felt dirty... like am I really gonna say I beat the game on Crushing when I cheated through the hardest parts?  From there I felt like my profile was tainted enough to not continue.

I also really hated the game on Crushing difficulty, like really hated it.  The other Uncharted's had their moments on the hardest difficulties that I didn't like, but I was miserable playing 4.  Like I said, I think it's straight up broken.  It's not balanced well enough to prevent soft locks.  So trophy hunting and forcing me to play the hardest difficulties wasn't just ruining my favorite franchise for me, but it was really souring me on gaming in general.  It was time to stop.

I will say for the longest time I missed trophy hunting though, I don't think I'll ever quite find the same motivation to fully play/appreciate games than I did when I was going for plats.  But whatever lol.

Edited by Dreakon13

I just get pissed at whatever game is giving me trouble. For instance, the last trophy in Entwined is so hard because the controls and hit detection aren't the greatest. The Contagion Mode in Callisto Protocol is a huge time waster. There are glitched trophies in that stupid dog in space game, Every Journey Leads Home or whatever. And right now Saints Row reboot has pissed me off because I forgot to make a cloud save before attempting to shoot Genki in the nuts.

But I don't consider stopping going for trophies. I just consider stopping going for THOSE trophies 

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Didn't make me quit trophy hunting but this is the game that got me to stop being a completionist.  I found the game to be extremely unenjoyable.  As soon as I started it, I had this dread that I'm going to have to spend the next 30 hours of gameplay playing it.  Luckily, this has actually made gaming more enjoyable for me.  I'm not worried about completing a game when I start it now.  If I don't like it, I move on to the next game.  Only going to platinum games that I really enjoy now.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I would say Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - a fictive universe I adore more than any others.

The people I played with couldn't care less more than finishing the trophies at hand as well as subsequent DLC which basically forced me to realize how bad trophy hunting has become.

A pretty bad wakeup call if I would say so myself, and I still question my own judgement why I keep aligning myself with individuals who's shallowness simply extend to the next platinum.

A personal flaw of mine for sure, and one I hope to improve in the future.

Edited by Mellenthin

On 9/19/2023 at 8:32 PM, ChilledBrandon said:

Uncharted trilogy, not going to lie. Brutal difficulty was just incredibly difficult in certain sections because of how quickly Nate dies.

There's a part of me that wishes I just played them without getting the platinums, but at the same time I am glad I was able to do it. It was one of my toughest challenges yet.

Oh I remember it when I did this. My favourite Part: Uncharted 2 The train drives out of the tunnel where the snow comes. I was on the roof on the train and the enemies were outside in the other Trains and start to shoot me. 1 sec = Death. The Problem now I was spawned EVERYTIME in that situation. So I immediatly jump every time in the hope nate would avoid somehow the bullets. After 20-30 tries it worked but that was so ridicilous. One of my toughest challenges of my gaming life

AssCreed Valhalla
Easy platinum, but god, what a tedious, boring game. I have no problem with throwing the towel when I feel the challenge is more than I can chew, but I often got suckered into easy but long grinds, and Valhalla was the straw that broke the camel's back, because after 250 hours I still had half the map littered with stuff to collect and I just didn't want to invest more time into that game, time I could spend playing actually fun games.
So it didn't really made me quit, but rather to be even more content with unfinished games on my profile, which is a good thing I think. I still love getting plats and I try to keep my overall completition over 50%, but I have no problem with leaving a game with single digit trophy percentage, if it really sucks.

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, the jet ski level and Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories. I almost lost my mind while playing those. Least I got the platinum for Chain though

Edited by Terra

Hmm good topic question... I guess a couple of games come to mind:

1. Elder Scrolls Online - But only the one trophy turned me off from ever wanting to platinum or achieve any form of completionism in that game: 'Emperor!' which requires you to become.. well.. emperor through the alliance war system. The grind for that mode would be insurmountable when factoring work, family time, etc. as it is a rank-based system that requires you to grind X amount per day to keep up.

2. SMITE had a few really annoying multiplayer trophies that were based on 'luck'. I was eventually able to platinum but only through the boosting route.

3. Sekiro was going to make this list, however, it is now on my backlog game to get done. Sekiro was my introduction to soulsborne gaming and so the rage induced late nights of trying to make progress in that game turned me off. I eventually decided to give bloodborne and ds3 a try and now I can honestly say I have an appreciation for soulsborne. Its like a fine wine.. so yes, I will be going back to conquer Sekiro!

-F

18 hours ago, czDante92 said:

AssCreed Valhalla
Easy platinum, but god, what a tedious, boring game. I have no problem with throwing the towel when I feel the challenge is more than I can chew, but I often got suckered into easy but long grinds, and Valhalla was the straw that broke the camel's back, because after 250 hours I still had half the map littered with stuff to collect and I just didn't want to invest more time into that game, time I could spend playing actually fun games.
So it didn't really made me quit, but rather to be even more content with unfinished games on my profile, which is a good thing I think. I still love getting plats and I try to keep my overall completition over 50%, but I have no problem with leaving a game with single digit trophy percentage, if it really sucks.

Definitely agree! I have been a fan of assassin's creed since the beginning but my god these new "mega" open world bloated games are turning me off a bit. Odyssey was also incredibly frustrating to platinum because of just superficial open world bloating. I basically have it on backlog for when I feel like doing a mindless grind for a couple hours.

Only a few hours into Mirage but here's to hoping they go back to their roots!

I've had many frustrating moments but none really pushed me to a point when I felt like quitting. Like most of us I think, our compulsive tendency to want t get it all would rinse and repeat after a while once were calmed down. Unless, of course, you're pushed really, really to a breaking point. And/or if you break your tv in the process.

But i just had a really bad 'moment' with Trek to Yomi. The game was brutally hard for me to get through. Could never get the hang of the mechanics and I was using a guide to get the collectibles because the I didn't want to miss any of them (they aren't easy to find either) and just focus on getting my hard run done next without throwing myself through a window.

I finally manage to finish with minimal rage, start my new game run and the collectibles don't carry over! Wtf! How is this not an automatic thing to include in this era of gaming. Come on. So deflating. This is the only game I've hidden on my profile because I didn't want to be reminded of it anymore (besides Order 1886 which PSN sold me a Chinese version instead of English. Twice!)