COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

8 minutes ago, cris3f said:

Well he was one of the crowd. Let's hope it's just a scare and nothing else, but if there's a government statement it's obviously serious. And I can think of a few others that really deserved this a lot more than him.

No, he wasn't. He thought we could defeat it in a matter of weeks but at no time did he dismiss it as anything minor.

Edited by Bliss

19 minutes ago, PFinchen said:

Stateside, the only doctor (on television) I’m listening to is Dr. Fauci. 

Thankfully things are a little bit more regulated here when it comes to celebrity doctors. That's the only time you will see me supporting state intervention. Dr Fauci is an actual expert so quite right.

Michael Osterholm is another one. I'm not sure if he does regular TV appearances but he did a podcast with Joe Rogan recently. Turns out he has been warning America and the world of a pandemic and surprise, surprise... nobody listened.

4 hours ago, PFinchen said:

Stateside, the only doctor (on television) I’m listening to is Dr. Fauci. 

This. Also listen to my doctor, too. Anyway...I remember read several places men seem to be more likely to die than women. Wonder why. :hmm: Maybe because women are overall more attentive about their health?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

This. Also listen to my doctor, too. Anyway...I remember read several places men seem to be more likely to die than women. Wonder why. :hmm: Maybe because women are overall more attentive about their health?

I've read that the higher smoking rates among men have something to do with it, but obviously that isn't the only reason and they are still doing more research on the subject I think.

30 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I've read that the higher smoking rates among men have something to do with it, but obviously that isn't the only reason and they are still doing more research on the subject I think.

I know they're also looking into the role of genes, too. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cris3f said:

Any non brain dead US national should listen to him, he's the only one that gives sensible and thoughtful insight on this.

Honestly, the only doctors you should listen to are the Surgeon General and your personal physician and maybe any relatives you have in the healthcare field. My mother's a nurse so I ask her about anything I do beforehand.

Edited by majob

4 hours ago, majob said:

Honestly, the only doctors you should listen to are the Surgeon General and your personal physician and maybe any relatives you have in the healthcare field. My mother's a nurse so I ask her about anything I do beforehand.

Any medical professional should be listened to over the talking orange manchild.

• Like 1

There was a press conference in Norway. The country's got the virus under control and will start opening some schools and other services in 2 weeks time (April 22, I believe) with the knowledge that it could change again. My visa runs out today, and the passport/visa office might open after Easter. Everyone is telling me I shouldn't worry about it because of the present circumstances, but I've had horrible experiences with the bureaucracy here. Common sense is mostly thrown out the window. Plus, my American passport expires next year. Not sure how the virus will affect that as well.

Other than that, health-wise my family and friends are safe. No one I'm close to or my neighbours have been infected to my knowledge. Keep safe and healthy, everyone.

• Like 4

My apologies for losing it last week. The C19 situation bothered me more than I thought, and after that, I had pretty much shut down and become withdrawn for a few days. When a friend of mine called, I was shaken by one thing she said... that her boyfriend was sent home from work because he had a fever. He was told to get a C19 test. On top of hearing about death tolls and people not obeying their stay-at-home orders, that got to me. I didn't sleep well that night... it would normally take me 15 minutes to fall asleep, but it was an hour and a half that night.

Good news? At the end of last week, she said his C19 test results were in. He tested negative. Lately, I've been taking a bit of a breather from watching the C19 news coverage and reading up on the subject. It can get a bit wearisome at times. Stay safe... AND stay sane. I am feeling a bit more optimistic now. I will not let myself become a nervous wreck again over this.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

My apologies for losing it last week. The C19 situation bothered me more than I thought, and after that, I had pretty much shut down and become withdrawn for a few days. When a friend of mine called, I was shaken by one thing she said... that her boyfriend was sent home from work because he had a fever. He was told to get a C19 test. On top of hearing about death tolls and people not obeying their stay-at-home orders, that got to me. I didn't sleep well that night... it would normally take me 15 minutes to fall asleep, but it was an hour and a half that night.

Good news? At the end of last week, she said his C19 test results were in. He tested negative. Lately, I've been taking a bit of a breather from watching the C19 news coverage and reading up on the subject. It can get a bit wearisome at times. Stay safe... AND stay sane. I am feeling a bit more optimistic now. I will not let myself become a nervous wreck again over this.

We totally understand. I'm glad your friend's boyfriend is okay.

• Like 1

Thanks so much.

I'm looking forward to the day when everything is more normal... probably won't be 100% like it was, but close enough. Chances are I'll never shake hands anymore... there are other good ways to greet someone or seal a deal. Until now, I hadn't really obeyed the 20 second rule on hand washing... now I've become a real stickler about that, and will stay so even after this is over.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 4:12 PM, Neputyunu said:

Today I read that a medicine called APN01 got developed in Vienna by Apeiron Biologics which they are currently testing on sick people in Austria, Germany and Denmark.

The idea behind that is that the medicine is trying to imitate ACE2 enzymes so that the virus is going to target these instead of real enzymes in your body.

Nice idea there... a decoy to draw the C19 virus away from its target. Hopefully this gets some results.

I don't know if this has happened in other states, however, in my home state (Ohio) when the stay at home order was extended until pretty much May... they also issued an order to limit the amount of people that can be in a 'grocery story' at one time.

Because... you know... that can be enforced. ?

1 minute ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I don't know if this has happened in other states, however, in my home state (Ohio) when the stay at home order was extended until pretty much May... they also issued an order to limit the amount of people that can be in a 'grocery story' at one time.

Because... you know... that can be enforced. 1f613.png

Michigan's stay at home order is over at the end of this week but I'm sure it'll be extended since our case numbers continue to rise due to most in places like Detroit ignoring stay at home orders. It's so bad that the mayor is giving $1000 fines to any property owners not enforcing proper social distancing. Our grocery stores don't have customer limits in place but places like Costco and Sam's Club are only allowing 50 at a time and Meijers is no longer open 24 hours and has reserved its first hour of operation for seniors

12 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Because... you know... that can be enforced. ?

Our local order allows 1 person per 1,000 covered sq ft, and it's enforced pretty well.  The entrance to the supermarket is manned by employees/security and they allow a set number of people inside the store, and when someone comes out they let other people go in.  Our Walmart does tend to have a bit of a queue outside as a result, but that all depends on what time of day you go.  The smaller stores seem to have less of a queue, and we even managed to find toilet paper yesterday.  

On 4/6/2020 at 1:09 PM, majob said:

He advocated it as treatment, not a cure, those are two different things and it's sad people are abusing it as if it is but this is a case of people misinterpreting what he said.

He shouldn't have said anything.

On 4/6/2020 at 3:02 PM, charxsetsuna said:

I'm disgusted In the way some people online are talking about him being ill,  I dont like him but I dont wish him ill. People are talking like he deserves this because he took too long to act and honestly that's disgusting to me regardless of if you can stand him or not.

Agreed. But if there is a silver lining, it's that this should rub the sleep out of anyone's eyes at this point.

I'm going to quote you the beginning couple of paragraphs from a news story I read earlier, and I want you to pinpoint the exact moment where my brain stopped just reading to itself and switched to inner monologue.

"US intelligence officials were warning as far back as late November that the novel coronavirus was spreading through China's Wuhan region and posing a threat to its people and daily life, according to ABC News.

"The US military's National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI) compiled a November intelligence report in which 'analysts concluded it could be a cataclysmic event,' one of the sources of the NCMI's report told ABC News.

"The source told ABC News that the intelligence report was then briefed 'multiple times' to the Defense Intelligence Agency, the Pentagon's Joint Staff and the White House.
Repeated briefings were held through December across the US government, including the National Security Council, culminating in a detailed outline of the threat in the President's Daily Brief in early January, which President Trump has admitted several times to not reading."

That last sentence actually reads, "Repeated briefings were held through December across the US government, including the National Security Council, culminating in a detailed outline of the threat in the President's Daily Brief in early January, according to ABC News, whose report cited four sources briefed on the matter." But it's true, President Trump has admitted, or boasted, I forget which, several times in the past that he doesn't read important information contained in briefings printed for his benefit.

Which should serve as a lesson to you: always read the directions completely before attempting to solve the problem.

4 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

I'm going to quote you the beginning couple of paragraphs from a news story I read earlier, and I want you to pinpoint the exact moment where my brain stopped just reading to itself and switched to inner monologue.

"US intelligence officials were warning as far back as late November that the novel coronavirus was spreading through China's Wuhan region and posing a threat to its people and daily life, according to ABC News.

"The US military's National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI) compiled a November intelligence report in which 'analysts concluded it could be a cataclysmic event,' one of the sources of the NCMI's report told ABC News.

"The source told ABC News that the intelligence report was then briefed 'multiple times' to the Defense Intelligence Agency, the Pentagon's Joint Staff and the White House.
Repeated briefings were held through December across the US government, including the National Security Council, culminating in a detailed outline of the threat in the President's Daily Brief in early January, which President Trump has admitted several times to not reading."

That last sentence actually reads, "Repeated briefings were held through December across the US government, including the National Security Council, culminating in a detailed outline of the threat in the President's Daily Brief in early January, according to ABC News, whose report cited four sources briefed on the matter." But it's true, President Trump has admitted, or boasted, I forget which, several times in the past that he doesn't read important information contained in briefings printed for his benefit.

Which should serve as a lesson to you: always read the directions completely before attempting to solve the problem.

You can’t fix stupid sadly.

Some of you may remember that I've been following the story of that Navy captain that was fired by the Secretary of the Navy for expressing concern for his crew (which is the entirety of the job of a skipper, being responsible for the safety of your ship and crew) over an extraordinary and nearly unprecedented situation. I do so because it's a subject near and dear to my heart. That Secretary was fired himself (actually asked to submit his resignation but who's keeping track) over comments he made to the crew of that ship when he visited it.

Just to be clear, this is a textbook case on how to not show empathy to a group of people who are scared, concerned, and separated from their loved ones by thousands of miles while something serious and unprecedented since maybe 1918 is slowly invading their ship and also putting their loved ones back home at risk. Go ahead and give it a listen if you like. It might be one of those things where you have to have served in order to fully appreciate how infuriating this is to listen to. Good riddance to this guy.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Navy-chief-blasts-air-carrier-captain-as-too-15181872.php?jwsource=cl

Edited by damon8r351

9 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

What a shameful, inexcusable situation. You can't count on the president, who plays golf while the USA wrestles with the C19 threat... it's all about the states' governors.

People who are thinking of disobeying their stay-at-home orders need to stop kidding themselves with regard to this serious matter. Not only is it unsafe, but it is also flagrantly disrespectful to all of us who abide by the rules. We're all trying to tap the brakes on this thing... and nobody needs to give it gas. The authorities need to stop giving warnings and start hitting violators with fines.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

Thanks for the good news. I'm glad to hear that Boris is doing better. I looked into that and found something about it on NBC News.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-k-prime-minister-boris-johnson-out-intensive-care-coronavirus-n1180461

While he had oxygen treatment, he still got by without a ventilator.

I just hope that people will continue to comply with social distancing as Jack (Frost) hits the road and the weather warms up.