COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

The number of injuries is increasing yesterday in my country 197 An injury I am worried about today also, the problem is no obligation, and they say it is a period that we should live with the virus and this means that everyone is in danger and your mistake is due to the cause of the virus has stopped everything, work, tourism, exit, and many things

On 5/24/2020 at 6:29 PM, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

GTA V is a seven year old game that is still grossing more than huge games in their release month. Rockstar may never make another game again!

I mean, why should they? They can probably squeeze a couple more years out of GTA V before moving on to GTA 6.

I've been reading that hospitals are seeing more and more cases of infected since all the riots started. Some are anticipating that this is going to upgrade it from a pandemic to an outright plague.

21 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

I've been reading that hospitals are seeing more and more cases of infected since all the riots started. Some are anticipating that this is going to upgrade it from a pandemic to an outright plague.

Wasn't one of the reasons for the whole shutdown and social distancing the fact that it takes longer for someone infected to show symptoms so the usual practices of stay home if sick wasn't as effective as it is with the flu?  That would mean it's probably too soon to be getting cases caused by the riots and it's more likely caused by reopening of businesses.  Though it's very likely all the protesting is not going to help either.

23 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Though it's very likely all the protesting is not going to help either.

This. The rioting is going to make this worse before it has a chance to really get better. Then again, there was a piece by SkyNew the other day about how a Chinese lab feels they've come up with a vaccine that'll do the trick.

4 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

This. The rioting is going to make this worse before it has a chance to really get better. Then again, there was a piece by SkyNew the other day about how a Chinese lab feels they've come up with a vaccine that'll do the trick.

So difficult to actually believe or pay any attention to anything coming out of China though :/

This would be the 4th vaccine in 2 months now ive heard that is 'definitely' gonna stop this. Even worse, you think China are gonna play ball if it does work? Its a state that has had massive piles of crap flung at it for 6 months now (And quite rightly they have) from countries that will be begging them for this vaccine if it does actually work.

'The West' will have to make massive payments or promises to China if thats the case (Cue the conspiracy theorists) which will just strengthen their hold they have ATM.

On a personal note.

I feel completely fucked. Not on an illness note, im in the UK, ive actually had a bad knee injury that kept me off work since November 2019 and i was actually due to go back to work the week that the UK announced a lockdown and my business closed for it (Im a chef by trade).

Now, the UK government, less than 2 weeks after announcing a 1-5 scale of 'lockdown' and measures to take for each number, are suddenly opening up the country as if we were at their scale of 1, even after admitting we're still a 4.

Their own science, THEY drafted and gave to us and now theyre ignoring it all and saying that 'the country' wants to get on with things.

Suddenly my work are telling us to get ready to get back to work in 3 weeks. Which is just pure madness in my eyes.

All science points to exiting 'lockdown' early will cause a massive spike in deaths (Not that the UK even had a 'lockdown' compared to less hit countries) and now apparently we're going on business as usual.

I have 3 younger brothers at home, i know kids arent that affected by it but who knows future damage it could cause and my dad is an 'at risk' individual. 

So its essentially a case of, come into work, to cook for the public, we have no idea if they are infected with COVID, nor can my work actually function under a 'social distancing' policy so we have to be shoulder-to-shoulder with our colleagues, including waitresses who will be within a foot of everyone they serve.

Absolute fucking madness.

Dr. Fauci has said that MRNA-1273, the C19 vaccine candidate that Moderna and the NIAID are working on, should be set for Phase III (final stage trials) by mid-summer. He's hoping for a "couple hundred million doses" to be ready by 2021 and says they should know if it's effective by November-December. Pray this works.

Trump's decision to pull out of the WHO is completely asinine, even more so in a pandemic. Also, Trump openly brags about being a jerk in his latest commercial, saying that "Mr. Nice Guy won't cut it". The USA has had enough of his bullshit... hopefully Biden wins.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 1

I was so sure of an assassination though he is so weak it would be like punching your mom. Also he'd be in the history books for all the wrong reasons so it's probably better that he is still alive. I just really wish he went outside to play while the adults are talking.

The Virus, I just want to go on holidays. I was happier on the Diamond then I am at work right now, too many people taking advantage of this.

Edited by Z1MZUM

Today in My Country

COVID-19 Lose Control 
The latest news in the world is coexistence with the virus ? 

Stay safe with your family

I am sure that the virus maker does not want to offer treatment now ، the reason is not the right time ، I am sure of this.  I hope I'm wrong, but it's the truth

Edited by BADMUSTAFA
  • Like 4

Found a really interesting study regarding whether asymptomatic carriers can spread the disease and this is pretty interesting.  The actual paper is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7219423/

For those who don't understand this sort of technical speak, the study involves a woman who came in to the hospital for another condition and while in the hospital was found to have covid-19 and was asymptomatic when she came into the hospital.  They went and sought out everyone she had contact with (some 400+ people) and not one of them tested positive or came down with the disease.  They came to a conclusion that from the evidence given that it is possible that asymptomatic carriers do not transmit the disease, only those with symptoms do.

18 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Found a really interesting study regarding whether asymptomatic carriers can spread the disease and this is pretty interesting.  The actual paper is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7219423/

For those who don't understand this sort of technical speak, the study involves a woman who came in to the hospital for another condition and while in the hospital was found to have covid-19 and was asymptomatic when she came into the hospital.  They went and sought out everyone she had contact with (some 400+ people) and not one of them tested positive or came down with the disease.  They came to a conclusion that from the evidence given that it is possible that asymptomatic carriers do not transmit the disease, only those with symptoms do.

Maybe the article gets into it, but I think there's more to consider than simply symptomatic or asymptomatic.  Just being in the room with someone that has it doesn't mean you get it, somehow it has to get from the person to you.  If they are asymptomatic, they may not be sneezing or coughing very often.  Talking introduces droplets into the air but they're larger than the mist sneezing creates and lacks the velocity of coughing or yelling... and don't travel as far, in as much quantity, or hang in the air as long.

Someone like me with an unrelated chronic cough though, or someone with bad seasonal allergies for example, is probably a bit more dangerous to be around if they were an asymptomatic carrier than others.

Edited by Dreakon13

6 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Maybe the article gets into it, but I think there's more to consider than simply symptomatic or asymptomatic.  Just being in the room with someone that has it doesn't mean you get it, somehow it has to get from the person to you.  If they are asymptomatic, they may not be sneezing or coughing very often.  Talking introduces droplets into the air but they're larger than the mist sneezing creates and lacks the velocity of coughing or yelling... and don't travel as far, in as much quantity, or hang in the air as long.

Someone like me with an unrelated chronic cough though, or someone with bad seasonal allergies for example, is probably a bit more dangerous to be around if they were an asymptomatic carrier than others.

That is very true, the woman they followed went into the hospital for a heart condition before she started showing symptoms of the virus so there weren't any symptoms that were related to the virus.  I'd imagine someone with an unrelated cough wouldn't truly be called asymptomatic in a medical sense.  However, I thought to share it because we hear so much bad and are given so many reasons to fear and this was actually something that can help alleviate fears.

14 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

However, I thought to share it because we hear so much bad and are given so many reasons to fear and this was actually something that can help alleviate fears.

There is a lot we don't know about this, so any information can be valuable.  Especially if it offers peace of mind to people.

But I'm firmly in the "everyone should be wearing masks in public" camp until this thing passes.  Just on the off chance asymptomatic transmission is possible, since we don't know 100%.  It's the considerate thing to do given the circumstances.

(Not that I'm saying you disagree with masks, but the idea of trying to disprove asymptomatic transmission with one case study and limited data can give people the impression masks aren't necessary.)

Edited by Dreakon13

Allot of people have caught it, a very small percentage have actually gotten sick, A very small percentage of the previous percentage has unfortunately lost their lives. It's too late now but I've been saying that since January. This is just how a Virus works, for my own country I think it's more important to fix relationships with China then anything else. I've been pushed around now for 5 months, I need a real break, I need to re-connect with my Diamond Princess friends and we are doing it. So Covid-19 can EAD as far as we are concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

There may well be something on the way to serve as a stopgap until a vaccine is out. Eli Lilly has been working with a Canadian company AbCellera to create a monoclonal antibody therapy against C19. Lab results show some promise, with the antibodies thwarting the virus' attempts to infect cells. Regeneron and Sorrento Therapeutics are also taking a shot at something of this kind. Regeneron's hope is to have something ready by the end of this summer, while Sorrento would like to get their STI-1499 into testing against severe C19 cases by the middle of July.

I'm praying this works in human trials, so that filthy C19 may finally get smacked down like a pesky mosquito. I've got a good feeling about this- let's just hope it's priced fairly. The companies need to focus more on wiping C19 out than making beaucoup bucks.

6 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Well Florida had another 5500 cases today...I guess opening up beaches and sporting events when you were still a hot spot was a really stupid idea.

The US is going to have to do another lockdown again because they cannot keep having these spikes.

Yea, our governor is a moron.  He opened everything way too soon and isn't even addressing the increasing numbers, only to blame other people.  Not to even mention the unemployment system which has/is failing so many people.

He won't even introduce a mandatory mask policy, so a lot of the counties have instead introduced them however they are mostly not being enforced, plus there are people who refuse to wear a mask entirely cos "muh freedoms" :facepalm:

3 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Well Florida had another 5500 cases today...I guess opening up beaches and sporting events when you were still a hot spot was a really stupid idea.

The US is going to have to do another lockdown again because they cannot keep having these spikes.

Did the US ever really do a lockdown in the first place?  There was not any coordinated US response.  It was left up to the states and a few states insisted on basically doing nothing (some cities and businesses in those states did decide to).  Some states did the bare minimum and worked on "reopening" as quickly as they could.

We're in a mess here and it's unlikely we'll do any better with this now than we did before, since this time some of the states where the spikes are have governments that are politically more opposed to shutdowns and masks.  And it's unlikely we'll have any real leadership on this from the top.

I mean, we're looking at Florida, Texas, and Arizona leading us against this new surge.  Probably best to limit travel from the US, honestly.

There's an outbreak in WWE going on now. See the topic in 'The Stadium' for more details. I won't post the same thing twice in two different threads.

BTW... how's that reopening going?

That's what I thought. Exactly how I expected it to.

Edited by SelectiveGamer

My first thought about the states reopening everything was "Here goes nothing". All these Karens out there crying for bars, restaurants, movie theaters etc. to be reopened and/or refusing to wear a mask in public are not taking this matter seriously enough. This is nothing to mess with. I can live without going out to eat, going to a movie, etc. for however long it takes. Those crying "muh freedoms" aren't going to feel free if they get sick.

The USA's handling of the C19 situation is indefensible. A federal lockdown would've been the best course of action. The Trump administration didn't do jack. Any lockdowns were done by state governors.

As for that San Diego Starbucks incident, who does that lady think she is? All her barista asked for is that she put a mask on. Starbucks' spokesperson backed him up on that. How hard is it to wear a mask? But no... she had to be a petty jerk about it, harass him, and call him out on FB. Then she called people who wear masks "stupid" and said they're "not thinking clearly". Her opinion isn't worth a damn to me. Anyway, he's gotten plenty of love and support including $84.000 in virtual tips, and she has been dubbed a Karen.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 4:44 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

There's an outbreak in WWE going on now. See the topic in 'The Stadium' for more details. I won't post the same thing twice in two different threads.

BTW... how's that reopening going?

That's what I thought. Exactly how I expected it to.

If you thought it was gonna go fine, you’re an idiot. Not sorry. Doesn’t help most in the White House are pretending it doesn’t exist and things are back to normal. Maybe if they all get it, that’d change their tune. 

My local school district is allowing distance learning. That’s a relief. My sister will do that for my niece. Was worried about that. 

I don’t go out for much besides work anymore. I don’t mind staying home, so all good. Think my cat prefers me being home.