COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

6 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

State governors need to get tough on masks and distancing. If people keep refusing to comply despite being cited a few times, maybe they should be put in house arrest for the community's sake.

The state governors around these parts don't have any more of a clue than the federal government does.  And they're every bit as prone to taking the actions that they feel will be to their personal and political benefits as they are to take actions that might do the public good.

Setting up a police state where masks are obligatory lest the government bring the proverbial ban-hammer down on you isn't any better.  A lot of people won't sit quietly for that, and a lot of police have gone on the record saying they won't enforce such an edict.  And that's before we get to a question as to whether it would be legal.

People do need to be more thoughtful about what they do, but a lot of people just want to get back to something approximating life as normal.  Or something closer to normal than sitting at home all the time staring at the four walls because government has ordered everything shutdown.  Especially when the people making the decisions and the people informing the decisions don't know their headquarters from their hindquarters -- you can go back several weeks or months and find those same Powers That Be saying very different things and permitting very different things and giving very different reasons to justify that.

27 minutes ago, acasser said:

People do need to be more thoughtful about what they do, but a lot of people just want to get back to something approximating life as normal.  Or something closer to normal than sitting at home all the time staring at the four walls because government has ordered everything shutdown.  Especially when the people making the decisions and the people informing the decisions don't know their headquarters from their hindquarters -- you can go back several weeks or months and find those same Powers That Be saying very different things and permitting very different things and giving very different reasons to justify that.

This should've just ended with that first thought before the "but".

You don't need the government being 100% coherent to understand the importance of masks right now.  Or distancing.  Or hand washing.  We're 4-5 months into this thing, it's way past the time for these excuses.  If people aren't doing the right things at this point, that's NOT the governments fault.  That's 100% on them.  No buts, no excuses, stop blaming everyone else.  Have a little damn accountability.  Do the right things.

EDIT: You can do the right things and go back to "something approximating life as normal".  You CAN'T just pretend it isn't an issue or happening anymore.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

I can't believe people still try to enter my work without masks with a 3 big signs in multi-language saying requiring mask/face covering to enter.....

then those that enter gets service refuse and they throw a fit.

Learn how to read americans! we wouldn't be in this shit mess if people were logically smart. Stop the damn spread and maybe this wouldn't had last as long as it should or get wave 2, 3 and who knows how many more. (americans as in everyone living in NA)....

A little more about MRNA-1273... Moderna is aiming for a price of $32-37 per dose, with it being expected to take 2 doses to fully immunize someone. Not too bad. Now the really good news? Their executives are confident that the vaccine will become available by the year's end. Hopefully that's the beginning of the end for this damn pandemic. Pray this works well.

More deaths and cases in the news.... I'm starting to give up on the American people as a whole.

Really says a lot when stupid kids take part in nonsensical internet challenges that some stupid celebrity out there started while most of us cannot find work because of the virus. We'd rather shell our money out to Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner and other worthless fucking socialites than give our attention to the people who are working 24/7 to help find a vaccine for COVID-19.

With the way we're doing it, we're just spreading around COVID, not limiting it. This country got brainwashed by politics and the media, pretty sad when you look at how things have transpired these past few years.

• Like 1

These socialites like Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner don't impress me... not even one little bit. I simply couldn't care less about them and just tune them out. And Kanye West? That pompous jerk needs to shut the hell up. I can't stand his music, but that's beside the point. What counts is that his ego is too big. Anyone who would vote for him for president is a damn fool. God, help us.

A scientist I've been watching lately is Harvard Med's George Church. One of his goals is to make humans immune to viruses. Beside that, he would also like to wipe out genetic diseases and reverse aging. I wish him success.

So, Putin has stated that the first vaccine is ready. Mass production should start in September and vaccination should start in October. The bad part is that it apparently hasn't undergone the Phase 3 trials, and they will continue as it's being made. Although it has been tested in June and July, and those results were good. Looks like the whole world is being skeptical about it. I, as a russian, am also hesitant to take it right away. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I love vaccines, but I wouldn't touch that one with someone else's 10 foot pole. Not only are they not fully aware of the potential side effects and risks, they can't even conclusively prove it prevents COVID. Releasing an untested vaccine that ends up killing a bunch of people will cause a huge blowback against all the potential working vaccines also being developed.

The timing on this feels way too convenient... almost like certain countries want to make sure a vaccine is released before a certain date... like November 3rd...

No Phase 3 trials? That alone is a red flag... I'd be leery. The shot has only been studied in a few dozen people. Do they even know the right dose? In that case, I don't blame you if you don't take it right away.  A perfect balance of speed and safety is needed. August-September would probably be too early, but closer to the end of the year wouldn't be so bad.

When MRNA-1273 is ready, I'll get it. Moderna have been going about it the right way, and their P3 trials are in progress.

This article wraps up how P1 went for Moderna. Generally safe and well tolerated, while causing a quick, strong immune response. I guess the final dose will probably be around 10-25 mcg. Some adverse effects like chills and achiness were seen at 100 and 250. Someone who had 250 ended up with a 39.6º C/103.2º F fever.

During a test on SARS-COV-2 exposed lab monkeys, MRNA-1273 blocked infection in the vaccinated group (at both 10 and 100 mcg, their antibody levels were greater than recovered human C19 patients), while the placebo group had the virus replicate in their lungs.

• Like 1

Trump's latest push for an unproven "cure" for coronavirus is, no joke, oleander extract. Oleander is super super toxic and will literally kill you dead.

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/oleander/

Oleander is extremely poisonous*. Eating even small amounts of any part of the plant can make a person or animal severely ill or cause death. Contact of sap with skin may cause irritation. Smoke from burning cuttings can cause severe reactions.

I know there are probably people in this forum, and in this thread, who think Trump is handling this pandemic fine. If that describes you, please, please, do not start taking oleander. Trump does not know or care who you are, you do not need to die for him.

46 minutes ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

Trump's latest push for an unproven "cure" for coronavirus is, no joke, oleander extract. Oleander is super super toxic and will literally kill you dead.

I know there are probably people in this forum, and in this thread, who think Trump is handling this pandemic fine. If that describes you, please, please, do not start taking oleander. Trump does not know or care who you are, you do not need to die for him.

I find this hilarious considering the sheer amount of effort to discredit all natural remedies that can help with covid no matter what sort of science they have to back them and now we're backing something absolutely nuts?  There are so many natural remedies that have so much more science and anecdotal evidence showing their effectiveness.  I just really wonder why the push here because there isn't even a lot of money to be made with natural remedies.

On 7/23/2020 at 3:57 AM, VigilantCrow said:

I can't help but laugh, whenever my local government makes a decision on masks.

We went through the entire spring flareup, with masks not being mandatory. Now that our province is down to a single case (and isolated), masks become mandatory on public transit and other services.

The problem (at least from a Canadian's perspective), is definitely a lack of leadership and an obvious push to make decisions so people feel better, instead of decisions making logical sense.

Just read this and I have to agree.

I will make the argument that Canada is in a slightly better position. We still have numb nuts here in the States who are putting themselves at great risk, especially all the asshole Trump supporters out there who feel a mask isn't really necessary to go about day to day living, especially work. The quarantine was meant to isolate people so they wouldn't get inflicted with the virus. How hard is that to understand for these idiots?

I still cannot get a job because of COVID-19, but these morons are just making things worse. America needs new leadership, and no, Joe Biden isn't really fit to be a good leader. Donald Trump is one of the worst leaders imaginable, his track record is legendary and filing for bankruptcy several times is proof enough he is not capable of being in any seat of power. I can read Donald Trump tweets on Twitter all day long and pick out a small snippet, already showing this man isn't jack shit.

Trump is going to try to cheat in the Elections just like he did last time, with the help of the Russians because Putin is happy to see Trump as a mere puppet. Either way, it's going to be chaos this coming November. Picking a man who probably isn't going to do all too much, and picking a man who will further send the United States to being more of a backwater, hick ass country.

There is no leadership. America, the way I see it is a complete joke now.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

I will make the argument that Canada is in a slightly better position. We still have numb nuts here in the States who are putting themselves at great risk, especially all the asshole Trump supporters out there who feel a mask isn't really necessary to go about day to day living, especially work. The quarantine was meant to isolate people so they wouldn't get inflicted with the virus. How hard is that to understand for these idiots?

No, the arguments they made for lockdowns was that it was to lower the curve and ensure hospitals could handle the amount of cases.  We now know that in the majority of healthy people that the virus is of little risk to them.  We also now know that there is little difference between the percentage who got infected whether there were strict lockdowns or not.  The main factor that seemed to lead to an increase in fatalities was how good a location did at protecting the people at higher risk, especially patients in nursing homes.  Our healthcare system is capable of handling the cases and further lockdowns of healthy, low risk people will just accomplish dragging this out further and making it more difficult for everyone to recover from the mental and financial stress they are dealing with and in the long run the mental and financial stress is going to do far more harm than this virus would do to them.

On 8/17/2020 at 1:44 PM, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

No surprise that Trump is pushing this oleander crap, considering he's talked about other similarly stupid things like injecting disinfectants. I bet that he once more tries to pass it off as sarcasm or a joke, as he's done before. What snake oil is Trump going to try to recommend next?

I have heard about Ashwagandha and propolis being studied against C19. It is said this combination is supposed to attack an enzyme that SARS-COV2 uses to mediate its replication. Now A&P have quite a history of safe use. That said, someone allergic to bees should not use propolis.

9 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

No, the arguments they made for lockdowns was that it was to lower the curve and ensure hospitals could handle the amount of cases.  We now know that in the majority of healthy people that the virus is of little risk to them.  We also now know that there is little difference between the percentage who got infected whether there were strict lockdowns or not.  The main factor that seemed to lead to an increase in fatalities was how good a location did at protecting the people at higher risk, especially patients in nursing homes.  Our healthcare system is capable of handling the cases and further lockdowns of healthy, low risk people will just accomplish dragging this out further and making it more difficult for everyone to recover from the mental and financial stress they are dealing with and in the long run the mental and financial stress is going to do far more harm than this virus would do to them.

Considering you're on record being against masks, I'm a little weary of some of the things you're saying here.

There are a lot of fine reasons to feel further lockdowns aren't necessary... but a low fatality rate isn't an excuse to drop all mitigation.  NYC still happened, Italy still happened.  They didn't happen "because nursing homes".  They happened because their guard was down and the virus had completely saturated their communities before anything was done to try and stop it.  They've gotten better because of mitigation.

There shouldn't have to be a huge body count (huger than it already is I guess) to convince people to put a cloth on their face out in public during a pandemic ffs.  America is full of high risk individuals, outside of nursing homes too.  Health issues like high blood pressure and diabetes are rampant in this country.  High risk individuals need to be especially cautious, but so do the people that can spread it to them.  No more lockdown, let's re-open/continue to, but do it smart.  Wear a damn mask.  Social distance.  Wash your hands.  Not certain people, not certain communities, not in certain buildings or with certain jobs... EVERYONE.  No laziness, no half assing it, no more excuses.  That lazy, stubborn shit already has almost 800,000 names to answer for globally... we need to be better.  We needed to be better 5 months ago.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Our health care system is a fucking joke. When Republicans took every opportunity to turn down Obamacare during the Obama era, I knew something was terribly wrong. Nevermind the fact Obamacare was expensive. 

What America needs to do is better educate its people on the dangers of contagious diseases and viruses, including COVID-19. New York City is a complete mess, and many other towns and cities in the United States aren't doing a whole lot better. Part of the problem is what I said in the last post, a lack of good leadership. Not just any new leadership, but leadership that can move us forward and help ensure a better future for America. Donald Trump and his so called Administration isn't doing jack shit. We've already seen all the shit that has gone down these past few years.

New Zealand has recently been able to go back to having their people continue their normal lives because they had a better understanding of how to deal with COVID-19. We don't. To call people weak or cowards for wearing masks in places where there are a lot of others is one of the stupidest, most moronic things anybody can say about this pandemic.

If America had better leaders and prepared better, maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we're in right now. But we didn't prepare. I'm out of a job because too many employers are scared to employ people who might carry COVID-19. I haven't seen many of my family members since February. I've only been able to see immediate family members and friends. We've been struggling these past few months because like myself, a couple of my friends can't get jobs either.

The United States is a joke. We should all be wary of just who we're voting for in this years Elections. Making the same mistake twice in voting for a complete puppet and asswipe will probably ensure the death of America. In my opinion, we have already reached that point.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Russian scientists say they have found an apparent weakness of SARS-COV2. It really sounds too good to be true, but they're saying room temperature water kills a large amount of the virus (90% of SARS-COV2 particles within 24 hours, and 99.9% within 72) with boiling water having a stronger effect.

https://bgr.com/2020/08/10/coronavirus-update-effect-of-ordinary-water-on-covid-19/

Once this damnable C19 pandemic is officially over, even if I may not forget, there is a near 100% chance I will not speak of it any more. Not even to tell future generations about it. I'll be over it and it will have become a taboo topic for me.

I pray it's not too much longer before Moderna says "You're MY bitch now" to the virus. Too many people are being sickened or killed by it... enough is enough!

• Like 1

And now, the CDC are telling US states to be prepared to distribute C19 vaccines by late October. I hope this is just so they're ready at the proper time, and not to rush things for November.

The FDA's Stephen Hahn has considered possibly fast-tracking a vaccine with an EUA (emergency use authorisation). Hold on there a second! It's better that any vaccines in development get through their Phase 3 trials. While a vaccine needs to come soon, there is such a thing as TOO soon.

17 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

And now, the CDC are telling US states to be prepared to distribute C19 vaccines by late October. I hope this is just so they're ready at the proper time, and not to rush things for November.

The FDA's Stephen Hahn has considered possibly fast-tracking a vaccine with an EUA (emergency use authorisation). Hold on there a second! It's better that any vaccines in development get through their Phase 3 trials. While a vaccine needs to come soon, there is such a thing as TOO soon.

Not with an election in November. 

Think about it. If the Democrats say "the vaccine isnt ready," then Trump can say the democrats are holding back the cure. If the democrats say nothing then Trump can tout that HE delivered the cure as he promised he would.

Then the election happens and if he wins he can pull it back then and say more testing is needed. If he loses...fuck should he care if an unproven cure starts killing people.

Politically this is the best thing he can do for himself. It is just like when he promised HUGE tax cuts for the middle class if Republicans kept the house 2 years ago. He knew either way he wouldnt have to keep that promise.

Trump could very well press Hahn and the FDA to issue an EUA. And I find it easy to believe that Trump would try to take credit. Even so, it'll take time to see if the vaccine does put the kibosh on C19. In said time, I'd hope to see the CH&D (cases, hospitalisations, and deaths) counts start decreasing sizably.

This current White House administration is like a deli... namely, one whose specialty is baloney sandwiches. And sadly, the baloney has sold too well.

Moderna has at least 17.458 people (as of 28 August) recruited for their Phase 3 trial of mRNA-1273. They hope to wrap P3 up by Thanksgiving. Knowing that minorities are more likely to catch and die from C19, Moderna is seeking more of them for the trial. Getting minorities to sign up hasn't been easy for Moderna. Most of the enrollees are White (68%) or Hispanic (20%), with Black and Asian at 7% and 3% respectively.

I've had asthma since being diagnosed when I was 6. In my 40's now. Caught the coronavirus in early March and took about 3 weeks to get over it. Not being able to breath properly from having that made asthma feel like it was nothing in comparison. 

Started the wearing the masks when I had to go food shopping during the lockdown and even as an asthmatic, the masks allow you to breath fine. Obviously not as clear as no mask, but nothing extreme either. The only downside to masks is your face gets hot. But I'd rather have a hot face than catch that shit again. Wear your masks you fuckers!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

IStarted the wearing the masks when I had to go food shopping during the lockdown and even as an asthmatic, the masks allow you to breath fine. Obviously not as clear as no mask, but nothing extreme either. The only downside to masks is your face gets hot. But I'd rather have a hot face than catch that shit again. Wear your masks you fuckers!

Guess what, your experience isn't the same as everyone else.  Everyone who has asthma has different triggers and some may have further breathing troubles beyond asthma.  I wish the only downside was my face getting hot, but for me they cause me to start gasping for air and severely coughing in just a few minutes of use.  Ignoring those symptoms and continuing to wear one would likely result in me being hospitalized at best,.  For me the problems are severe enough that I'd rather take the risk of possibly getting the virus than deal with the for sure problems I'd cause myself by wearing a mask.

• Like 1