New Star Wars Squadrons... due this fall.

Playstation trophies is running an article about a possible leak for a new Star Wars project called Star Wars Squadron. 

Tag line is Pilots wanted. So from my guess it will be an online multiplayer dogfighting game. The leak was spotted on the xbox store but most likely be a multi platform release. More could be announced soon.

edit:

This game is now confirmed by EA after the leak was noticed. It will have single player but the focus is for online. Release for all consoles this coming fall. First trailer to drop Monday the 15th.

https://www.engadget.com/star-wars-squadrons-ea-leak-191018081.html

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-31111-Star-Wars-Squadron-Leaks-on-the-Xbox-Store--Features-X-Wings-and-TIE-Fighters.html

Edited by kingofbattle8174

Star Wars: Squadrons Multiplayer Details

Multiplayer will take the form of 5v5 battles, with two modes announced. Fleet Battles will task each team with destroying the opposing teams flagship, while Dogfights will simply ask each team to destroy as many opponents as possible. Locations will be both known and unknown, with Yavin Prime and the shattered moon of Galitan announced so far.

The announcement press release makes clear that squadron composition will be important, implying multiple ship classes to experiment with. EA also confirmed that, while Star Wars: Squadrons will include cosmetic and gameplay-related customisation, all upgrades will be earned solely through playing the game.

Playing through the game will earn you weapons, hulls, engines and shields to allow you to tweak your starfighter into whatever you want it to be, while cosmetics will alter your cockpit, ship exterior and pilot.

Star Wars: Squadrons Story Mode Details

Squadrons will feature a single player story mode set after the Battle of Endor and the destruction of the Death Star II. Alternating between two customisable pilots, the story will feature brand new characters, and cameos from familiar faces.

The two pilots you play as will show you both sides of the game's conflict – one flies for the New Republic's Vanguard Squadron, and the other for the shattered Galactic Empire's Titan Squadron.

In a press release, Ian Frazier, creative director at Motive says: “Through the collaboration of the teams at Motive and Lucasfilm, we’ve been able to create a high-fidelity starfighter experience with an authentic storyline that invites Star Wars fans to explore never-before-seen corners of the galaxy in their own ship. We’re excited to show all this in action this week at EA Play Live.”

Release Date & Price

Star Wars: Squadrons will be released on October 2 as both a physical and digital product, for $39.99 USD (other pricings unavailable at time of writing). EA Access and Origin Access Basic subscribers can play 10 hours of the game for free at launch, and will get 10% off if they choose to buy it. Origin Access Premier subscribers will be given the full PC game on release.

from IGN

Gameplay trailer to follow on Thursday at EA Play

More info on their site here

Edited by EIdain
  • Like 1

- Oct. 2 release date 

- $40 price tag

- Set after 'Return of the Jedi'

- Single player/multiplayer campaigns

- Cross-play support

- No microtransactions

- VR on PC & PS4

- Source

Sounds cool so far

EDIT; Oops, duplicate topic from the one in the PS4 section. Sorry for making you clean this one up, mods; will be more careful next time.

Edited by Golem25

No microtransactions, you say? In that case, I hope it is good and if so, I hope it is successful. I'll probably get it- I waited maybe a week to play Jedi: Fallen Order and I loved it. I'm not big on online gaming but a dogfighting Star Wars sim, I can maybe get behind!

33 minutes ago, communistwookiee said:

Gotta wonder about the $40 price tag. Is it lack of content or trying to get more people to buy in?

Seems like lack of content (a smaller game).  Only the star fighter assault portion of the Battlefronts.  The part I did not enjoy as much but it being Star Wars, I might get this eventually.

Just for some context. EA has cancelled 3 Star Wars projects since 2017:

• Project Ragtag by Visceral Games in 2017
  • Project Orca by EA Vancouver in the beginning of 2019
  • Project Viking by EA Vancouver and Criterion Games in the middle of 2019

The second game was cancelled because it was to big, and EA wanted a game to come out earlier to fill a hole in their financial plan for fall 2020. Now we know what this game is. 

Squadrons is being developed by Motive, one of the newest EA studios. This is actually their first own project. Before that they only helped with developing Battlefront II and Anthem. We also know that Jade Raymond, an industry veteran and the founder of Motive, left the studio in 2018.

So, my concern is that this game is going to be rushed because EA wants a Star Wars game for this fall. And the new studio might have some leadership problems after Raymond's departure. Doesn't sound very promising.

Edited by Alderriz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

You got what you wanted, how come you haven't tried it out!?

Played through the first half of the story mode and it just wasn't doing it for me. Mission were kind of boring me and the story itself/writing/characters weren't impressing me. I also recall the multiplayer servers being a bit broken at launch so that's why I never got into that. Just moves on.