Twials of Manu make PS4 Pro go brrrrr

Eremoto

Expanding the title, I guess what I wanted to ask is if there's someone tech savy enough to explain how is this game in the category of "making the PS4 sound like an airplane ready to lift off"? I don't know if this issue is limited to my own system but at least the demo of Trials of Mana is making my PS4 Pro sound like a noisy printer or a heated car engine, which is an issue that normally is limited to graphically beefy and demanding games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice or the Insomniac Spider-Man game.

Perhaps they over did it with the 3D models or maybe it's just poor optimization, poor programing or something in the middle, but without my headphones (they broke, rest in peace) to dull the system noise this seems like it's gonna be an awful time. I mean I already have a copy ordered and I'm looking forward to playing it but damn, the noise the system makes is ungodly. Anyone else experiencing these problems with the game?

• Like 2

0w0 sounds like you got quite the pwobwem there, OP-sama. Definitely not according to keikaku* ;w;

In all seriousness, have you tested any other games since starting Trials? That would help indicate whether this is a problem exclusive to this title, so do fire up Spiderman or whatever if you haven't recently. If that doesn't have your PS4 doing its best impression of a Boeing, I'd say it's poor optimization on Trials' devs part.

*Translator's note; keikaku means plan

Edited by Golem25
  • Like 3

have you tried sticking the ps4 in a bathtub full of water?...pretty sure the noise would stop...

disclaimer : it's a joke...just hoping to brighten up someone's day a bit...and sorry, I have no idea...usually means my system is too hot when this happens...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

have you tried sticking the ps4 in a bathtub full of water?...pretty sure the noise would stop...

disclaimer : it's a joke...just hoping to brighten up someone's day a bit...and sorry, I have no idea...usually means my system is too hot when this happens...

I just did this and it broke my system

why would you recommend this?

can i has new ps4 pwease

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Golem25 said:

0w0 sounds like you got quite the pwobwem there, OP-sama. Definitely not according to keikaku* ;w;

In all seriousness, have you tested any other games since starting Trials? That would help indicate whether this is a problem exclusive to this title, so do fire up Spiderman or whatever if you haven't recently. If that doesn't have your PS4 doing its best impression of a Boeing, I'd say it's poor optimization on Trials' devs part.

*Translator's note; keikaku means plan

Hahaha, not really. I mean I recall my system sounding very loud back when I had and played some of those games, but there's definetly one or two that I have digitally that I could test it with to see what are the results, though I was already considering the option of opening the upper case and clean it up from possible dust that may have entered the system over the months.

25 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

Yeah, I could tell it was a joke, gave me a chuckle and reminded me of the days when a wrapping your PS3 in a towel or using a hair dryer in it's back was supposed to fix the yellow light of death xD 

11 minutes ago, Inuty said:

I had it on Disc an it was the same for me on my PS4 Pro. I asked myself why the console was this loud but thought it was the case only with the disc Version.

Yeah, I'm aware that some physical copies of certains games carry more problems than digital ones, like Ghostbusters Remastered having wonky start-ups if you have it it physical for whatever reason and requiring to turn off the system after putting the disc in before it can read it on a second console start-up. But I've never heard of physical copies causing much more noise. I mean, some is expected since it has to read the disc but not on an extreme level. Quite interesting to hear, Inuty, I'll make sure to check for more noisy physical games!

Thanks you all for your imput. If anything, the system's revving noise will help dull out Charlotte's voice. I'll drink spicy water in your honor, lads.

• Like 1

the weather is very warm right now, all across europe if im correct

even with my ps4 pro that i managed to get super quiet last summer by replacing the garbage stock thermal stuff and cleaning the heat sink, it's started making some noise today bc it's so hot. thankfully it's not jet noise like it was before

i dont game much in the summer anyway so it's fine

ofc it's highly game-dependent as well

Edited by ifyucantbeatmeXD

• 1 month later...

Same here, PS4 Pro bought on april 2019.

The 1st time the console started to make so much noise was few month ago while playing FF7R, then Trials of mana, and recently TLOU2 (i will begin Ghost in the next few days). All these games are disc version.

I do remember i didn't met this noise issue with Street of Rage 4 (digital) but i suppose the game doesn't ask the same work from the console.

Last month i have noticed something during Concrete Genie session :

if you enter in the pause menu and change from 4K to Full HD, the noise instantly go down. And go up if back to 4k mode.

I wonder if something would be different by turning of the 4K mode of the PS4Pro, i didn't try yet.

the only issue with my pro is the occasional audio drop that happens every couple mins and lasts less than a second. 

Settings:

HDMI OUT

PCM

resolution 2160yuv 420

and it's happened for over a year. I've played with several settings, updated firmwares, checked tv settings, new hdmi cables, optical cable etc.

this is the only issue my ps4 pro has had, never a fan issue though. but if anyone else has the audio drop im curious if you found a fix or if it may finally be the 1tb hdd dying lol 

Gut your PS4 and clean all the dust out, and I'd recommend doing so every few months. It's a pain but 90% of the time it's because there's some shit clogging the fans or the PSU.

It should always be your first response if your PS4 is being too loud, and it should be something you routinely do with your PS4 regardless.

• Like 2

On 26.6.2020 at 0:27 AM, Eremoto said:

Yeah, I could tell it was a joke, gave me a chuckle and reminded me of the days when a wrapping your PS3 in a towel or using a hair dryer in it's back was supposed to fix the yellow light of death xD

A bit off-topic, but this actually kind of worked! I had the YLOD on my launch phat PS3, and after some googling, I came across this solution, although in my case it said to put the PS3 in a tight-fitting paper bag, shoebox or whatever, put it upside down and blow on it with a hairdryer for some time. The reasoning was that the problem was some soldering coming loose, and the hairdryer would soften the solder, especially with the PS3 in confined space with none of the hot air escaping (hence the bag/box), and it being upside down would make sure (or enhance the chance) that the softening solder would come into contact again.

And it did indeed work! Mind you, it wasn't a permanent solution, but I managed to rescue all my saved games (this was before cloud saves).

1 hour ago, gernboes said:

A bit off-topic, but this actually kind of worked! I had the YLOD on my launch phat PS3, and after some googling, I came across this solution, although in my case it said to put the PS3 in a tight-fitting paper bag, shoebox or whatever, put it upside down and blow on it with a hairdryer for some time. The reasoning was that the problem was some soldering coming loose, and the hairdryer would soften the solder, especially with the PS3 in confined space with none of the hot air escaping (hence the bag/box), and it being upside down would make sure (or enhance the chance) that the softening solder would come into contact again.

And it did indeed work! Mind you, it wasn't a permanent solution, but I managed to rescue all my saved games (this was before cloud saves).

This was a common fix for the xbox 360 as well. The main one would be to reball the cpu/gpu, but not even that is a guaranteed fix

• 4 months later...

i can confirm this is a trial of mana thing i juste stopped playing yakuza 7 without hearing a sound from my ps4 pro then popped this baby in and my console transformed into a helicopter wich was good at first because it helped me not hearing the horrible voice over... thank god there is an option to put japanese voices

• 4 weeks later...

My buddy played the demo back in the day and his PS4 Pro fan would start spinning at max when he entered an indoor space like a house. As soon as he stepped back out in the open world, the fan would go back to lower/reasonable speed. We assumed back then that this was a demo problem.

But right now he's playing the disc version and I can hear the same thing is happening again. I did not yet pay attention to the screen if it's happening when going somewhere indoor or also in other occasions. So yeah, even the final version still has this problem that it can suddenly spin the fan at max for no apparent reason.

Some games just have this problem it seems. Shadow of Mordor had it for me as soon as I enabled the 'view through walls' thing and when I disabled it again, the fan would go back to normal.

Some games just have odd stuff like this.

Anyone who has ever fallen in the water in the sewers in Return to Arkham Asylum know that - the ps4 pro fan is totally silent for every single other part of that game, until Batman falls in the water, and his getting out the water animation is accompanied by 30 seconds of Jet Engine-like blaring for no discernible reason.

Assassin’s Creed III remastered had a similar problem. Fan noise is pretty quiet in game... when the system is actually, y’know, rendering stuff and loading things, but sounds like the goddamned HypnoToad when you are in the menus for too long.

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Some games just have odd stuff like this.

Anyone who has ever fallen in the water in the sewers in Return to Arkham Asylum know that - the ps4 pro fan is totally silent for every single other part of that game, until Batman falls in the water, and his getting out the water animation is accompanied by 30 seconds of Jet Engine-like blaring for no discernible reason.

Assassin’s Creed III remastered had a similar problem. Fan noise is pretty quiet in game... when the system is actually, y’know, rendering stuff and loading things, but sounds like the goddamned HypnoToad when you are in the menus for too long.

I believe AC Unity also had this problem in the menu's, AC3 remaster just inherited this I guess ?

But yeah... if it's only with 1 game or a few games in specific situations and not with every single game then I wouldn't panic about the PS4 breaking or something. It's just bad optimisation of the game in that case. Although I admit it's a bit annoying to hear the fan go up and down the whole time especially if you're the one working and not gaming ?

• 3 months later...

First of all, the thread title made me lol. Second of all, is this still an issue or has it been patched? My Pro ran Hellblade with no noticeable noise (only bringing it up since that’s another game often accused of being “noisy” on Pro systems). I’ve played a bit of the demo of Trials on my Switch and had zero performance issues (even in handheld mode). So to hear it has issues on the Pro shocks me. 

• 3 months later...