Here's why I'm not excited about PS5...

jackmadrox

2 hours ago, Sneeches said:

I have Persona 5, love it.  But 3 & 4 aren't on PS4... not to my knowledge anyway.

There's a digital version of Persona 3 for the PS3, if you still have one.

As for Persona 4... you'll either have to get Golden for the Vita or the original for the PS2. Golden is out now on Steam as well, actually.

I have a feeling that releasing Golden on Steam was just a testing of the waters. We might just see ports of P3 and P4 sooner or later on the PS4/PS5, maybe even a P3 remake!

1 hour ago, Zenpai said:

There's a digital version of Persona 3 for the PS3, if you still have one.

As for Persona 4... you'll either have to get Golden for the Vita or the original for the PS2. Golden is out now on Steam as well, actually.

I have a feeling that releasing Golden on Steam was just a testing of the waters. We might just see ports of P3 and P4 sooner or later on the PS4/PS5, maybe even a P3 remake!

Yah I dont have a PS3 or Vita, so I'll just wait for them to come to PS5.  I wouldn't go back and play old shitty consoles anyway. 

I am agree about not being eager to jump day one on new console gen.

But I have to say that even when ps4 was released with already old tech it was hugely benefited with its open architecture, my list of ps4 titles is bigger than I thought it would be.

About half of my catalog are Japanese games, you should try it, it's not just fan service, between those and indies you have a lot to choose.

Ps5 can wait till next year but only if Sony do something to prevent me to wait for ps5 slim in 2023-2024.

Edited by GoldenShaka

On 8/15/2020 at 3:29 PM, dieselmanchild said:

Everything moves at lightning speed nowadays. Developers are constantly competing for the attention of entitled consumers who have come to expect instant gratification in every area of their lives, and for whom the average attention span is comparable to that of a gnat, and on top of that they are under tremendous pressure from executives and publishers to get their games to market as fast as humanly possible. And when they do come to market (often in a pitiful and broken state) it’s always with the understanding that there are strings attached - MTX, DLCs, remasters and repackages, paid promotions etc. - and that they are expected to squeeze that product for every single last dime while they can. 

Blah blah blah. Can we have one (ONE) thread without someone blowhard pontificating about the downfall of modern man?

On 8/15/2020 at 6:49 PM, SnowxSakura said:

Pre-orders have been a thing since the atari 2600, only in the past decade have people started complaining about it. 

IN fact, back in the SNES days, pre-orders were often required to ensure that you got a copy of a game. You were never certain that there would be a reprint, particularly of a cult game, because cartridge costs were so high.

I will mention, though, that back in the 2600 days, you could take a game back if you didn't like it. 

13 hours ago, Sneeches said:

Yah I dont have a PS3 or Vita, so I'll just wait for them to come to PS5.  I wouldn't go back and play old shitty consoles anyway. 

You just want to play the games on them. Makes sense.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

On 8/16/2020 at 0:49 AM, SnowxSakura said:

Pre-orders have been a thing since the atari 2600, only in the past decade have people started complaining about it. Broken games were released long before patches were a thing, nothing is new there

Indeed this is true. The only difference is now they get patched. The plus side back then was that we had no net and so niggles in games were just that. Now because we have the net and global communication, it makes it 10 times worse because now everyone is a fucking expert and spotting problems. 

Don't get me wrong, there is no excuse and there is no other industry aside from the gaming industry where 100% of every single game released is faulty, but at least nowadays they have the ability to fix them. 

The good thing in the releases of WWE2K20 and Fallout 76 is that they received major backlash from gamers and critics.  Both companies have to redeem themselves to the consumers now and it forces other developpers( except EA i think )  to have higher quality games on release.  

The only game in 2 years I bought on launch is Ghost of Tsushima. I have no regrets for that game.  Since childhood I always got Madden and NHL's on launch until 2018...but with EA Sports...as the years went by there was less and less content for more money!  They make so much money from ultimate teams.  

I don't mind micro-transactions, because I don't see the point to pay real money for useless skins.  The problem is when progress in the game is locked behind a paywall ( battlefront 2 )

For the PS5, I will get it, but like I always do, I'm gonna let the beta-testers get it at launch and buy it later.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
12 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Two years later, there’s only a small handful of big games that have been successful, that aren’t just remasters or borrowing heavily from last gen.

I'm glad I didn't get a PS5, not that I could ever find one, and weirdly 2 years later, it's just as difficult to buy and more expensive than it was 2 years.

I think for a lot of people, Final Fantasy VII Remake part 2 is probably going to be the upcoming biggie. But yeah, if I saw a PS5 today, I'd look at the price, try to think of what exclusive games I could play it, then think back to the PS5 OS glitch, controller reliability, crappy dashboard and losing access to being able to back up your saves to USB.

I definitely wouldn't buy one. I'd rather buy another PS4 or a backup PS3.

And then we had a game locked at 30fps released recently on PS5, the first and probably not the last....

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I’m glad I didn't get a PS5, not that I could ever find one, and weirdly 2 years later, it's just as difficult to buy and more expensive than it was 2 years.

I think for a lot of people, Final Fantasy VII Remake part 2 is probably going to be the upcoming biggie. But yeah, if I saw a PS5 today, I'd look at the price, try to think of what exclusive games I could play it, then think back to the PS5 OS glitch, controller reliability, crappy dashboard and losing access to being able to back up your saves to USB.

I definitely wouldn't buy one. I'd rather buy another PS4 or a backup PS3.

And then we had a game locked at 30fps released recently on PS5, the first and probably not the last....

Not that I’m a graphical fidelity type of person, but 30 FPS on PS5 is just unacceptable. 

I believe some games like Middle Earth: Shadow of War do offer 4K, but with no mention of 60 FPS. Yakuza Kiwami 2 is also 30 FPS from what I heard.

So the PC market has already beaten the PS5. Not that I would care because PC has always reigned superior, however doing away with exclusives is basically going the Microsoft route. 

Sony is putting in less effort than they did last gen.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

The only thing I miss from PS5 Is the dualsense. Hardly any games use it properly though

So just like

- Vita's back touch screen

- Playstation VR

- PS4 touch pad square

- PS3 six axis motion sensor

- PS2 Eyetoy

- PS2 pressure sensitive buttons

then.

13 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I believe some games like Middle Earth: Shadow of War do offer 4K, but with no mention of 60 FPS. Yakuza Kiwami 2 is also 30 FPS from what I heard.

Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6 indeed are 30fps.

Smashing that guy's face through the toilet urinal in Yakuza 0 in Chapter 1 at 60fps. Just wouldn't be the same at 30fps. lol

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

I've owned the PS5 for a little over a year now and I hardly touch the thing. It's a dust collector and when I do play it, 50% of the time it's a PS4 game I'm playing on it. 

The catalog of games on the PS5 is still just not there yet. God of War is going to be a biggie but still, that's another game that's going to also be on PS4. It's hard to justify to others what makes the PS5 worth getting when for the most part, it's been a console that only accomplishes playing PS4 games that look slightly better. 

I still think R&C: Rift Apart is the only game that accomplishes feeling like a true next-gen experience that I've played. I guess we're finally starting to see a gradual abandoning of cross-gen games and it's a step in the right direction to unlock the PS5's true power and potential but these games haven't exactly been that impressive thus far. Gotham Knights and Plague Tale Requiem both are riddled with issues and don't feel like next-gen experiences. They still very much feel like last-gen experiences and poor ones at that. 

There are earlier examples like Deathloop, a solid game but does it feel next-gen? Not at all, that game could've easily been released on PS4 too without much sacrifice at all with graphic fidelity or performance. 

The PS4 was a slow console to pick up off the ground too but 2 years in even the PS4 had a much better catalog at this point than the PS5 does. There's some intriguing games on the horizon though and some game announcements that I am very excited for so I'm still optimistic that it will pick up, just much later than what I, and probably many others, expected. 

In any case, the console that's getting the most mileage for me right now is the PS3. All these years later and I'm still finding new love for the PS3 and new gems to play on it. Had its issues but it sure as hell had a stellar game catalog. 

Edited by mega-tallica
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Overall…. this generation has been a giant disappointment. I wouldn’t be as butthurt were it not for the fact that the chip shortage has fucked a lot of things over. Notably the fact that both internet and retail stores have struggled in getting PS5 shipments until very recently. Then there’s those losers who purposely obtained PS5 consoles then turned around and sold them for high price. Pretty much how the ‘black market’ does business, which I want no part of for obvious reasons.

Last gen was basically the same, though. For the first few years there were almost no stand out exclusives. It took one and a half years for the PS4's first real definitive game (Bloodborne) to come out, and all the other defining games of the console (HZD, God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted 4, TLOU 2) released ~3+ years after the console came out, with the exception of Uncharted 4, which came out 2.5 years after.

If anything I'd say this generation has been better than the last. Just under two years since the release of the console and we already have multiple hit games - Returnal has a metacritic score of 86, Rift Apart 88, God of War 94, and HFW 88. At this point in time in the PS4's life cycle, the only exclusive above the mid 80s was Bloodborne. Sure, we had some good exclusives, like Until Dawn and Infamous: Second Son, but nothing particularly unique or memorable - the only early PS4 exclusive that still gets talked about is Knack, and that's purely for the memes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Last gen was basically the same, though. For the first few years there were almost no stand out exclusives. It took one and a half years for the PS4's first real definitive game (Bloodborne) to come out, and all the other defining games of the console (HZD, God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted 4, TLOU 2) released ~3+ years after the console came out, with the exception of Uncharted 4, which came out 2.5 years after.

If anything I'd say this generation has been better than the last. Just under two years since the release of the console and we already have multiple hit games - Returnal has a metacritic score of 86, Rift Apart 88, God of War 94, and HFW 88. At this point in time in the PS4's life cycle, the only exclusive above the mid 80s was Bloodborne. Sure, we had some good exclusives, like Until Dawn and Infamous: Second Son, but nothing particularly unique or memorable - the only early PS4 exclusive that still gets talked about is Knack, and that's purely for the memes.

So was the PS3 generation. I still remember the console selling for $599, in 2006 era US dollars. Adjust that to inflation, you were paying a LOT for one, even more than the current PS5. 

It was the same story. The first few years were a disappointment. My friends in college had Xbox 360, which already had established franchises such as Halo, Forza and Gears of War. It wasn’t until 2009 - 2010 that the PS3 started to gain ground. Even then, Sony was the underdog due to bad business decisions. The May 2011 PSN shutdown that happened just convinced more people to move to 360. 

The PS2 generation as far as I’m concerned was the LAST awesome gaming generation. The PS3 generation was lopsided in favor of the Xbox 360, whereas the PS4 generation was practically no competition due to Microsoft shitting the bed with the Xbox One. 

The gaming industry has been in decline for quite some time. Outside of some decent PS5 games, there is absolutely nothing that really interests me. 

Before too long, I may just move to PC and play some 2000s - 2010s generation indie and strategy games that I completely missed on. GOG.com and Steam offer such titles like Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword for cheap, which I’ve played, but only the original retail copy.

• Like 3