Is this game boring?

JEDLander

46 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I do agree. But there was stuff like finishing the first Romulus lair in Assassins Creed Brotherhood in under 8 minutes. The mission before that, you have to kill all Romulus followers without taking a hit. Which I will guarantee, you will not get that done on your first attempt. 

They were however done with some creative leeway. In Unity and Syndicate they were completely tacked on and laughable, which goes with my argument that AAA gaming has become much easier over time. 

IIRC killing all Romolus without getting hit gave me no problem when I did it on my 360 although I was younger and my reaction time was better then so will be interesting to see how I fare now... Also completing the lair in the time limits were very easy and i doubt that will change. All you had to do was do the lair the first time without worrying about the time limit so you can memorise it and then the second time, boom. I've 100% synced Brotherhood twice on 360 and intend to do it for the third time on PS for platinum. I'm sure it will be fine. The only two missions that I don't look forward to is the one with the flying machine and the tank in which you can take no damage. They were annoying.

Yeah, the optional constraints in Unity and Syndicate were so silly. I remember one in Unity where you had to sabotage alarm bells but not get caught which made no sense seeing as if you don't intend to get caught you don't need to sabotage alarm bells and all it was doing was making you go out of your way to sabotage them and thus increasing your chances of getting caught...

38 minutes ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

Uh... no, you can't. You can reduce its effects, but you can't completely disable it.

You know what I meant. You can have enemies be at least 4 levels below you on Normal (maybe 8 for Easy difficulty but not sure). The fact is though, it should not take being overlevelled to beat an enemy. Skill and all the abilities and gear should be quite enough.

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom
grammar

20 hours ago, Spaz said:

I do agree. But there was stuff like finishing the first Romulus lair in Assassins Creed Brotherhood in under 8 minutes. The mission before that, you have to kill all Romulus followers without taking a hit. Which I will guarantee, you will not get that done on your first attempt. 

Did it about 15 minutes ago on my first attempt. Got a nice little trophy pop too for 10 person skill streak. :)

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom

• 2 months later...

I'm finishing my final trophy of the Atlantis DLC and I found the game enjoyable and well done, but boring. Just a huge map without much inspiration. Almost every area looks the same. I skipped every cutscene, so the story was not engaging whatsoever minus a few parts with the family. The Cultist part was okay but nothing special. The mercenaries were obnoxious, especially early game. Attempting to finish a strong hold or fort by stealth, spending 20 minutes making your way through and then 2 mercenaries show up at the end and overwhelm you. Plus, often times, once you kill a mercenary, another one immediately shows up. It isn't the challenge more than simply being overwhelmed, dying and having to start again, which is more frustrating/boring than challenging. By mid game the mercenaries are trivial. LOVED the flow of Origins and games like The Witcher, but this one was just too much and too much of the same after a while. I've had to stop playing 3 or 4 times over the 4 months I've been at it. By no means a bad game, but I'm looking forward to finally finishing and moving on for good.

• Like 1

It is boring. Having had a three year+ hiatus from the AC games I decided to give Odyssey a go despite my better judgement.

The AC games have become gradually less interesting, and the story much less engaging with every installment in the series. While almost every AC game is set to a time and/historical setting i find interesting, I have not been genuinely interested in any of the characters since Ezio, and the last game where I enjoyed othe game the whole way through (or at least most of it) was Black Flag. 
The writers of the series since then seem incapable of writing anything remotely interesting or engaging. To me this is quite fascinating, by using history and already established conspiracy theories half their work should already have been done for them, yet they cannot seem to string anything coherent together. On top of that, the way these games use the open world formula progression becomes trivial and dull. The game is very easy in the beginning, and just a few points into the skill tree you are overpowered for the rest of the game (unless of course you stray beyond where the game wants you to go, when everything become more or less impossible). Not every game needs to be a souls-like but without an engaging story or character and no feeling of mastery through gradual progression this game (as well as most of the latest games in the series) becomes stale and yes, boring.

Edited by Nuoragh
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m not going to form a concrete opinion just yet. Until Valhalla hit the stores, Odyssey was by far the biggest game and certainly the longest one to finish. 

26 hours played and I’ve done maybe 15 percent of the actual content. The in-game map is massive, and for how big this game is it sports some pretty impressive visuals. 

There’s literally a ton of question marks and tick boxing. You can just beeline thru the main story but doing every underwater location, completing 20 bounties from message boards, finding and killing members of the Cult of Kosmos, and doing 20 quests on a few islands encourages you to explore anyway. You need to do a bunch of side stuff to reach level 50. 

I’m only level 28, so there’s a lot I still need to do. I’ll make a sort of mini analysis and review when I reach 55 - 60 hours played.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I’m not going to form a concrete opinion just yet. Until Valhalla hit the stores, Odyssey was by far the biggest game and certainly the longest one to finish. 

26 hours played and I’ve done maybe 15 percent of the actual content. The in-game map is massive, and for how big this game is it sports some pretty impressive visuals. 

There’s literally a ton of question marks and tick boxing. You can just beeline thru the main story but doing every underwater location, completing 20 bounties from message boards, finding and killing members of the Cult of Kosmos, and doing 20 quests on a few islands encourages you to explore anyway. You need to do a bunch of side stuff to reach level 50. 

I’m only level 28, so there’s a lot I still need to do. I’ll make a sort of mini analysis and review when I reach 55 - 60 hours played.

Pro tip. Stay away from Valhalla. Odyssey is better is almost every way. I have 120 Hours in Odyssey and 95 in Valhalla. I enjoyed my time with Odyssey alot more. If you won't got for plat i doesn't matter. But getting all 700+ collectibles in Valhalla and the 300+ keys to open those collectibles is a real chore. I have to give it to Valhalla that some collectibles are truly unique but there are still far too many.

5 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Pro tip. Stay away from Valhalla. Odyssey is better is almost every way. I have 120 Hours in Odyssey and 95 in Valhalla. I enjoyed my time with Odyssey alot more. If you won't got for plat i doesn't matter. But getting all 700+ collectibles in Valhalla and the 300+ keys to open those collectibles is a real chore. I have to give it to Valhalla that some collectibles are truly unique but there are still far too many.

Day one fan of the series here and yeah I'd say odyssey is a lot better than valhalla. I enjoyed my time with valhalla but the characters, story, world and pretty much everything else was inferior when compared to odyssey. There's some good encounters that will make you laugh but a good chunk of them are easily forgettable and if you're looking to 100% it can get tedious due to the crazy amount of collectibles. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 2:17 AM, Quink666 said:

And if just one bugs - which a few of mine did - you have to reload hours of save.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I went over the 70 hour mark last night. Just got a few things left for the platinum, with all the underwater locations likely going to take a few hours at least. 

My biggest disappointment thus far is Odyssey is not an Assassin’s Creed game in terms of story. You’re not an Assassin, you’re not a Templar who has peeked at the other side.... you are a mercenary. In the 20 or so hours I spent on the main story there was nothing that suggested I am an Assassin working for the greater good. In the present day story, Layla Hassan doesn’t even refer to herself as an Assassin, if she did I definitely missed something.

The present day story is nothing great, as is expected. Layla’s female companion is a stuck up bitch and soccer mom like person, always trying to ensure Layla is safe when she is practically useless. Her two other companions I’ve already forgotten for the most part. 

The ending for Odyssey has to be the worst I’ve seen yet in the Assassin’s Creed franchise. There are various endings which depend on critical dialog choices you picked for some of the main story missions. But I’ve already watched some of the other endings. They’re there.... and the story is done. No grand finale, no build up to an epic scene between Athens and Sparta, no real connection apart from the aftermath of the confrontation on the mountain that started it all. The ending is very abrupt. It’s like Ubisoft made the first seven sequences of the story to be memorable and thought provoking. Then in sequence eight they just rushed thru the rest of the story to meet a deadline. The story ended far too quickly for what you thought was going to have something more. I’m very disappointed in how Ubisoft designed the last two sequences.

The Cult of Kosmos conclusion was also a disappointment.

Odyssey boasts some amazing visuals, several fascinating monuments, some interesting locales, and truly makes you feel you are in a massive world. The downside is there are far too many rinse n repeat locations. So many military camps felt exactly the same, and thus I just decided to skip most of them after a while. A more compact but rich world would of definitely been better in my opinion. 

I can’t say Odyssey ‘broke me’ or is a game I hate all that much. Ubisoft however was trying a little too much all at once. While Origins felt a little original and epic in comparison, Odyssey in contrast resembles something that is akin to a formula, rather than a grand adventure.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

My biggest disappointment thus far is Odyssey is not an Assassin’s Creed game in terms of story. You’re not an Assassin, you’re not a Templar who has peeked at the other side.... you are a mercenary. In the 20 or so hours I spent on the main story there was nothing that suggested I am an Assassin working for the greater good. In the present day story, Layla Hassan doesn’t even refer to herself as an Assassin, if she did I definitely missed something.

The ending for Odyssey has to be the worst I’ve seen yet in the Assassin’s Creed franchise. There are various endings which depend on critical dialog choices you picked for some of the main story missions. But I’ve already watched some of the other endings. They’re there.... and the story is done. No grand finale, no build up to an epic scene between Athens and Sparta, no real connection apart from the aftermath of the confrontation on the mountain that started it all. The ending is very abrupt. It’s like Ubisoft made the first seven sequences of the story to be memorable and thought provoking. Then in sequence eight they just rushed thru the rest of the story to meet a deadline. The story ended far too quickly for what you thought was going to have something more. I’m very disappointed in how Ubisoft designed the last two sequences.

I can’t say Odyssey ‘broke me’ or is a game I hate all that much. Ubisoft however was trying a little too much all at once. While Origins felt a little original and epic in comparison, Odyssey in contrast resembles something that is akin to a formula, rather than a grand adventure.

Well said. I agree. I was surprised that the main story ended when it did. I had to go online afterwards to confirm that I had actually reached the conclusion. There must’ve been some cut content.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 6:17 PM, Quink666 said:

Oh man, I normally play the AC games a year after release, but only getting to Odyssey now because I've heard it is so grindy... My motivation was to get to Valhalla to play another PS5 game, but I'll just enjoy my time in Odyssey for now.

22 minutes ago, Susto668 said:

Oh man, I normally play the AC games a year after release, but only getting to Odyssey now because I've heard it is so grindy... My motivation was to get to Valhalla to play another PS5 game, but I'll just enjoy my time in Odyssey for now.

Valhalla grind is far worse. Odyssey was a joy compared to Valhalla when it comes to collectible grind. But both a worth playing especially if you wait 1 year after each released. Youll get it cheaper and it will probably be patched to a more playable state.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm around 115 hours clocked in Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

I don't think I ever experienced burnout in an Assassin's Creed game as much as this one. I've made it a habit to mostly tune out and ignore the present day storyline because it is a garbled mess. Layla's IT support sidekicks in both Origins and Odyssey were both annoying and antagonistic. Desmond Miles in contrast seemed more mature and patient. Layla is basically the womanchild going "Let me see Atlantis! Please let me see Atlantis!" That is ultimately where the present day story goes. I'm starting to think I preferred Assassin's Creed Unity and Syndicate because you mostly watched the present day storyline from the background while someone named Bishop was telling you what was going on.

There is far too much padding. Odyssey is roughly 30 - 40 hours too long. There is good content, but you will be spending most of your time clearing out formulaic enemy camps, and doing a bunch of sidequests before you get to the quest you were waiting to do. The mercenaries are all big sponges, you're going to be hacking away at them even with good legendary gear equipped.

There is nothing "Assassin" in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. The worst Assassin's Creed story by a longshot. It's predecessor Origins had far more to do with being an Assassin, because Bayek actually helped form the Assassins (titled The Hidden Ones) at the end of the story. In Odyssey, you're a mercenary who carries a spear of great power and unknown origin, you're practically an errand boy.

I literally had to take a few breaks away from this game and play other games. Odyssey is just too much. It's going to feel really good getting my last few trophies and moving on.

• Like 1

No, it’s great - but it is very long, and not best suited to mainlining.

Best to dip in and out, while having some other games on the go at the same time.

Not a slight on the game - any media of this length can feel like a grind if watched/read/played/listened to exclusively- but Odyssey is very good entertainment all the way through- far more so than most games of this scope and size.

• Like 1

Maybe there needs to be a separation of platinum and the actual game!

Trophy wise, platinum or 100% yes it might be too much can’t argue there!

Game wise it is an incredible game ( I am not comparing it with other assassin creed games ) visuals-map-sound-game play mechanics getting lost while exploring it is top notch! The game is great for what it is!

• Like 1

I played Odyssey and got the platinum before I was even into trophies. I only got the platinum because by the time I reached the end of the campaign I realised i only had a few trophies left so thought why not. If you simply just enjoy the game and not worry about trophies you'll have a better time. Most of the trophies come naturally and there's only one missable trophy anyway which you're unlikely to miss unless you're playing Kassandra as asexual. It's an amazing game and the best of the new ancient trilogy.

I've returned to Valhalla to play the DLC and wow, what a slog. Go play Valhalla for a few hours and then switch to Odyssey. It's like a breath fresh air. Odyssey is also more of an Assassin's Creed game than Valhalla which is like a bad viking game. Stealth is actually viable in Odyssey and you don't get detected by enemies with eyes in the back of their heads. Also, Origins is not an AC game either as the assassin stuff is tacked on at the end in a very insulting way. I wanted the entire game to be about how this organisation came to be but instead it's generic revenge quest. The story is terrible.

2 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Probably a unpopular opinion, but I really disliked it and found it very boring. It felt to me a bit like a b-tech Witcher, favoring quantity over quality. I'm now very hesistant to play any AC/Ubisoft game now incase it's similar to Odyssey, seems like they just put out the same formula for the titles they produce. 

Additionally, I'm really surprised this game has a 30% platinum rate. I struggled so much to enjoy it, and had to put it down. I think I stopped at 17% trophy completion or something along those lines, which is pretty low for me.

If you enjoy slow progression, heavy exploration taking in the world around you, large amount of side quests and a repetitive gameplay loop I think you'll enjoy it.

I wouldn't say unpopular. Quite a few people on Reddit and other social media sites have told me the same opinions. Watch Dogs 1, while I already know is repetitive and a little monotonous, shouldn't be anywhere near as grindy.

If you already didn't like the game and you were already 10 - 20 hours in, you may as well give up and play other stuff.

• Like 1

For the first 5-8 hours it was a enjoyable experience for me. Wasn’t a Assassins creed game in my opinion but was fun. Once you start progressing the story you’ll fall behind on levels making you do side quests or grinding out levels doing other stuff which made it boring for me. Origins was way better of a buy in my opinion 

Finally got the 100 percent. Took me around 116 - 117 hours.

Right now I'm in the process of writing my rambling review on Odyssey, but what I will say is I honestly think Origins was a better game. Wasn't a big fan of either Alexios or Kassandra. I tried out Kassandra for a hour a while back and decided to just stick to Alexios. Bayek in contrast was a far better protagonist.

Glad it's finally over. Got real boring and monotonous towards the end. My second longest game on my profile, behind only The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which took me around 135 - 140 hours to earn it's 100 percent.

I think for now, I'm going to start some of the indies I've been wanting to play for the past month or so. I need a break from playing a marathon.

• Like 1

Most people will get turned off cos if its grindy nature but no it's not boring and has a good story. Dlc content advanced the story nicely. For me it's a top 5 AC game. I rank Alexios (or Kassandra) as the third best protagonist behind Ezio and Bayak.