Xbox Series X $499, release date Nov 10

warrervena

16 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

heres something that just popped in my head. imagine in a few years when ps5 disc drives start breaking and there is none on ebay to buy from spare parts. hopefully someone eventually makes a second party ps5 bluray. so far my ps4s have been good to me but i didnt put as much disc time on them as my ps3s. have had 2 or 3 blurays blow out on my ps3s from usage. 

hah i see what you did there

lmao. as loud as the fan is that means its doing its job though and pushing the heat out. i do feel like mine is a mimick from prey waiting to launch at my face though. i always put a phone book or book under my consoles. gives them a little more breathing room

You would think that the companies would make a reusuable dust guard screen for consoles.. 

Keep the internals from having built up dust and not having to open up your console and cleaning it with a damn qtip and rubbing alcohol..

1 hour ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

You would think that the companies would make a reusuable dust guard screen for consoles.. 

Keep the internals from having built up dust and not having to open up your console and cleaning it with a damn qtip and rubbing alcohol..

Most companies don't even do that for any consumer electronic because most consumers don't open up their devices to clean out dust.

Meaning most people wouldn't spend time cleaning out any sort of reusable dust guard and the internals end up dust covered anyway.

24 minutes ago, den-69 said:

So many people in here seem to be forgetting that the disc-less version is not weaker in any way and can't be anywhere close to the $300 weaker xbox system's price lol..

It will be 50-100 cheaper than the base PS5 max.

I'm predicting $499.99 for the disc version and $399.99 for the digital. 

How I came up with the price is cause of the past mistake with the PS3 making the console $599.99. Not only that, a more powerful machine on paper aka XSX is $500. So they need to price match that, but not the digital version since it's the same specs just without an optical drive. And to entice people to get the digital version they're not going to make it a $50 difference. Making it $100 cheaper is what is going to get people to buy it. 

Both versions will be sold out at launch. But when they have more in stock for everyone, I predict that the disc version will be highly sought after more than the digital version. Like why have a 2 machines? Might as well get the disc version to play games and watch your rare DVDs and blurays. 

18 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

I'm predicting $499.99 for the disc version and $399.99 for the digital. 

How I came up with the price is cause of the past mistake with the PS3 making the console $599.99. Not only that, a more powerful machine on paper aka XSX is $500. So they need to price match that, but not the digital version since it's the same specs just without an optical drive. And to entice people to get the digital version they're not going to make it a $50 difference. Making it $100 cheaper is what is going to get people to buy it. 

Both versions will be sold out at launch. But when they have more in stock for everyone, I predict that the disc version will be highly sought after more than the digital version. Like why have a 2 machines? Might as well get the disc version to play games and watch your rare DVDs and blurays. 

Ya $400 for the digital version is entirely possible. Some people in here were saying Sony would price match the $300 or even undercut it tho that is mental lol

• Like 1

Noone is mentioning Xbox All Access

For 35 / 25 $/EUR monthly for 2 years, you will get newest console, game pass ultimate with Gold, game pass for PC, xCloud, and now EA Play

Sony might have beter exlusive games for now, but in long game, they have to get their shit together.

Their PS Now is not even avaible in my country now (Poland), and it is well, much worse anyway.

• Like 1

No, neither console is going to sell out, that’s a mistake. They will always produce more than the estimated demand, a sold out is for major causes like it happened with the Switch amidst the pandemic.

That being said, if PS5 is any higher than Xbox that would be the biggest mistake of the generation. Right now Sony needs to catter the mass audience that already thinks, mostly, that Xbox is more powerful and gamepass is amazing, so why would they continue to play on PS their FIFA, COD or Fortnite? There is even crossplay already to play with his friends.

My bet is going to be 499 disc version, for the more loyal customers and people who often buy physical collections and stuff, that usually play all exclusives and varied genre.

399 digital version to break the deal and attract mass audience, along with digital incentives.

Sony is selling experiences right now, but that is very hard to market prior to experiencing it, and won’t cut through the masses. Will be interesting to hear what Sony offers, I don’t think they will hold too much to open pre-orders since they need to better gauge demand.

Edited by BlackTorito
Typo
  • Like 1

I mean it's a good price, I don't really have an interest in the lower priced console but it's good to have options.

As for the PS5, I would expect they would follow suit, it could be quite risky to price it higher, there are those who ofc do not buy a console based or just because of the price but because of the exclusives, but I have no idea how large that portion of the potential buyers really is, many of us here, sure, but we are just a small percent when it comes to the larger picture.

Also the game pass is just such a great deal, I really wish we had something like that on the PS.

Also, I love how there were some ridiculous prices thrown around before this reveal. Predictions based on nothing really, those can be quite amusing.

Best case scenario is the disc version will be the same as the series x, and the digital version £399.99.

There is no way Sony can undercut the series X; sure Series X has a tiny amount more terafloppies (for perspective, on paper, the Series X has 20% more GPU power, whereas last generation the PS4 has around 50% more and we still saw little difference between the two); but PS5 has a more expensive SSD solution and a far more expensive to produce controller that needs to be bundled compared to MS’s dead last gen controller.

They are going to have to very carefully explain that their digital version is far superior to MSs digital version though, and counter the narrative that MS are pushing that the series S is a true next generation console. General consumers around the holidays are pretty ill informed.

They’ll also need to put in place a finance solution like MS have. Given they have an entire financial services arm to their business I’m guessing they know how to do that, or at least partner with a company that does.

16 minutes ago, sillyrobo75 said:

Also the game pass is just such a great deal, I really wish we had something like that on the PS.

We do, it’s called PS Now, it has far more games at a far lower price.

If you mean GP Ultimate, which includes streaming to phones, then I agree. I need that.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

9 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

We do, it’s called PS Now, it has far more games at a far lower price.

If you mean GP Ultimate, which includes streaming to phones, then I agree. I need that.

I knew someone will mention ps now as soon as I was writing that comment :)

I admit that lately ps now has certainly become better, especially price wise, and even when it comes to featuring newer games, but game pass' focus on new titles, just as a game gets released it can also appear on game pass, especially Microsoft published titles, now that is very enticing. Also game pass has a far better selection of indie titles, which should not really be that surprising.

6 hours ago, sillyrobo75 said:

I knew someone will mention ps now as soon as I was writing that comment :)

I admit that lately ps now has certainly become better, especially price wise, and even when it comes to featuring newer games, but game pass' focus on new titles, just as a game gets released it can also appear on game pass, especially Microsoft published titles, now that is very enticing. Also game pass has a far better selection of indie titles, which should not really be that surprising.

And I kind of figured you would mention newer games as soon as I typed that lol!

But, fact is, most of us are 30+ with jobs and kids and thus a big backlog of games which make playing something on release day irrelevant (plus usually worse as it will likely receive patches and get better later on).

But certainly, if someone has the luxury of being able to play and finish every game as soon as it comes out and then eagerly await the next release, then I get your point. I’m just past my teenage years now. Maybe when I retire.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

20 hours ago, Akimitsu782 said:

The Series S is definitely weaker than the Series X, though, so you're getting a lesser system for almost half the price. You also get no disc drive and a 512GB SSD (which is going to be less once the OS uses some of it). I'm not saying the PS5's SSD size is any better, because it isn't, but that it terribly small for an all-digital system. Also, if the "leak" about the Seagate 1TB SSD Expansion price holds true, you're looking at another $220 to upgrade the drive size. The other moves from Microsoft are definitely a step in the right direction, especially the payment plan thing (even if you're paying more than the actual price) and having EA Play as part of Game Pass is a great move, even if EA's games might not be your thing.

As for what Sony can do, well, the disc version of the PS5 can't be more than $500, IMO. If they want to take a bigger cut out of it, then they could go down to $450, but I think it will be $500. The version without a disc drive, if they want to stay competitive, should be $400. The good thing about the two versions of the PS5 is that appear to be the exact same, so you're not going to get a lesser version like with the Series S and X. The bigger point of contention will come from the launch games for the PS5, so we will have to wait and see what they are.

The size isn’t much better but the SSD as a whole for the PS5 is better because it’s optimized for efficiency. Meaning that it doesn’t load everything in the game at once just the assets the console uses at the time. It should also cut down file sizes quite a bit. So Sony 825GB SSD will go a lot farther. 

Just now, kdogg_gamer_ said:

The size isn’t much better but the SSD as a whole for the PS5 is better because it’s optimized for efficiency. Meaning that it doesn’t load everything in the game at once just the assets the console uses at the time. It should also cut down file sizes quite a bit. So Sony 825GB SSD will go a lot farther. 

Yeah, that's been talked about, but we will have to wait and see how many developers actually use this. I mean, Sony's teams will be using this, but third party developers and indie ones might not utilize it to the fullest.

9 hours ago, MrBasia said:

Noone is mentioning Xbox All Access

For 35 / 25 $/EUR monthly for 2 years, you will get newest console, game pass ultimate with Gold, game pass for PC, xCloud, and now EA Play

Sony might have beter exlusive games for now, but in long game, they have to get their shit together.

Their PS Now is not even avaible in my country now (Poland), and it is well, much worse anyway.

As someone who wants both own my games and my hardware, I find XBox All Access to be about as appealing as a particularly malodorous turd.  Keep the subscription scams away from me.  Thank you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Akimitsu782 said:

Yeah, that's been talked about, but we will have to wait and see how many developers actually use this. I mean, Sony's teams will be using this, but third party developers and indie ones might not utilize it to the fullest.

Indie ones probably not. But I would imagine 3rd party will especially if it’s open world. Indie games usually aren’t that hard on storage space 

my biggest concern is the Series S is going to limit multi plat games where the devs want to utilize real next gen power. It has less TF than a PS4 Pro.  Are devs going to have to hold back because of this? Even MS 1st party studios can't utilize the Series X power if they have to conform to the Series S limitations. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LordBilbanes said:

The Series S has the same CPU as the Series X, as such, it shouldn't hold multiplatform development at all.

They have the same CPU but that’s like saying everyone who has an i7 has the same CPU 

“The Series S is "similar in CPU" to the Series X but not identical. The Xbox Series X uses an 8-Core AMD Zen 2 CPU running at 3.8GHz (3.6GHz with SMT enabled) while the Series S uses the same CPU working at 3.6GHz (3.4GHz with SMT enabled).

The 'X' is powered by a 52CU (compute unit) RDNA GPU running at 1.825GHz, while its cheaper sibling has a 20CU, 1.565GHz GPU.”

So it’s probably going to be mostly capable of the same, but still a consideration for programming the multi-platform titles. 

I'm actually rather pleasantly surprised, I was expecting this to be £500 minimum. It's £450 here (for the series x), which is only about £20 more than the original Xbox One was at launch. Still won't actually be getting it at launch though, I'll wait until my Xbox One backlog is finished, which actually mostly consists of 360 and original Xbox games. I have 27 games left in total but it'll probably take me quite some time since it isn't a priority for me at the moment. Personally have no interest in the series s due to the lack of a disc drive.

I'm definitely interested to see how much the PS5 is going to be now. Got a feeling it'll probably be a bit cheaper, and I think it'll be a poor move on Sony's part if they did decide to make it the more expensive console this gen. Obviously the disc drive-less console is still gonna be more expensive than the series s though, since it's just the same console minus a disc slot.

I'll likely get a series x 3 or so years down the line, and hopefully a PS5 in the next 2 years or so. Wouldn't mind getting a PS5, or both, at launch, but it's more of a space issue for me atm than a money issue. I have 8 consoles hooked up to my TV currently and there's literally no room for any more consoles, especially not the behemoths of next gen. Hoping to be finished my PS3 backlog in the next 2-3 years, then I'll put that into storage and get a PS5 in its place if all goes to plan.

Other than that, I'm curious how loud the PS5 and Series X will be. My original Xbox One is pretty silent aside from the weird windows 95-esque sounds it makes when turning on or off, whereas my launch PS4 sounds like a jet engine taking off with some games, definitely the loudest console I've ever owned I think.

24 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I'm definitely interested to see how much the PS5 is going to be now. Got a feeling it'll probably be a bit cheaper, and I think it'll be a poor move on Sony's part if they did decide to make it the more expensive console this gen. Obviously the disc drive-less console is still gonna be more expensive than the series s though, since it's just the same console minus a disc slot.

I don’t see how the ps5 can be less than the series x. The ps5 definitely costs more to make with its custom super fast SSD, and next generation controller with more tech. The extra couple of tf in the series x is cheap by comparison.

I think Sony will have to match the series x price and take a loss, then cut £50 from the digital version (would have been £100 but they’ll have to take the extra 50 from the disc version now).

5 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

I don’t see how the ps5 can be less than the series x. The ps5 definitely costs more to make with its custom super fast SSD, and next generation controller with more tech. The extra couple of tf in the series x is cheap by comparison.

I think Sony will have to match the series x price and take a loss, then cut £50 from the digital version (would have been £100 but they’ll have to take the extra 50 from the disc version now).

I think the Dualsense is definitely going to jack up the price, wouldn't be shocked if those things sell for £70+ on their own. I don't know how much the PS5 will actually be of course, but I got a feeling it'll be a bit cheaper so Sony can feel like they've "one up" Microsoft again. Wouldn't be the first time they let the competition announce the price of their console first, then strutted in and declared their console is cheaper (quite literally in the case of the Sega Saturn and the PS1).

Time will tell, I doubt the PS5 will cost any more than £500 at least, unless they decide to pull another PS3.