Hogwarts Legacy Announced

Abby_TheLastofUs

13 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Ikenfell, which is an indie RPG focused around a magic school where every party member is q****.

Is it a good game beyond the representation in it, though? Asking out of legitimate curiosity because I've never heard of this game before.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ninjise said:

I just want shoot people with spells, explore hogwarts and pray that it will be a good game, we haven't had a decent HP in decades.

This will most likely give you that!

The Lego HP games are apparently fun. Sis-in-law was playing it. But it is a lego game and they are all kind of the same.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

i have family members who are LGBTQ, and still enjoy HP but not JK. Everyone is different, i get it. 

Off topic but regarding everyone is different, that is definitely true because for whatever reason I just can't get into the Zelda series... I know I am probably being disowned as I type this in ?

1 minute ago, squaresoft4ever7 said:

Off topic but regarding everyone is different, that is definitely true because for whatever reason I just can't get into the Zelda series... I know I am probably being disowned as I type this in 1f602.png

nah to each their own. Embrace your likes. I like older zelda games. I think BOTW is empty, bland, shit that fails to capture what Zelda is truly about. Shrines arent dungeons, classic weapons are absent as are classic enemies. The list goes on. 

You be you and like what you choose. :)

on topic though, this game is out in 16 days. Crazy!

8 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

For those who are planning on skipping this game but like HP-esque stuff, I can wholeheartedly recommend Ikenfell, which is an indie RPG focused around a magic school where every party member is queer. Also features music by people who also worked on Steven Universe's soundtrack. Was one of my favorite games of 2020.

I've had this game in my backlog for far too long (like most of my games, tbh). I wasn't aware of its pro-LGBT themes before buying it, it just seemed like a colourful little indie RPG that instantly appealed to me based on aesthetics alone, but it definitely boosted my interest all the more once I discovered that aspect of it. Just have to get around to finally playing it at some point.

7 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

It is very easy to separate the art from the artist when that artist's actions do not affect you in the slightest. It is much more difficult when they actually do.

That's really the crux of it, isn't it? Lots of people aren't going to particularly care about Rowling's views because it doesn't really affect them, since most people aren't trans. Heck, I'm not trans, but that doesn't mean I can't understand the damage she's done and the reasons why people oppose support of this game as a result. I might feel a bit more personally attached if Rowling was a biphobe instead or something, expressing such wonderful views we've heard a million times before about how bi people are just "confused" or "greedy" or what have you, and advocating for conversion therapy and such.

Which makes me wonder what the general consensus on the game would be if she was instead a misandrist that not only expressed hateful views against men, but also campaigned to make things worse for men in society, like trying to reduce support for men's mental health and/or domestic abuse support or something. I imagine there'd still be plenty of people that don't really care and will "separate art from artist", but I would genuinely be curious to see how many could do that when her views and actions actually do directly affect them a tad more.

Anyway, I know this thread has gone pretty off-topic multiple times so I'll leave it there. As I've said previously, the game seems like it could be interesting, so I might pick it up pre-owned eventually if it actually does turn out to be decent. Still fully expecting it to just be mediocre though, personally, due to whose developing it.

• Like 4

It's not that much harder for me personally to separate art from artists when it more directly impacts me compared to when it doesn't, but I can kind of understand why it's harder for others to do the same (especially in certain circumstances). Don't completely understand nor agree with the mentality behind it for the most part, and likely never will, but I've accepted that. *shrug*

I just want to enjoy a video game for a series I love (if it turns out to be good, of course), so I'm not too concerned with who's behind it even if I don't like them or agree with their problematic BS. Some people will probably dislike me for that, but my conscious is clear. That, and I don't expect the same out of them because it's none of my business what they do or don't do with their money. Everybody's got different sensibilities, and limits for what they're willing to tolerate.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

The hype is real here. I noticed the first 4 movies are all currently in the top 10 on Netflix. I have friends that have taken time off to play at launch as well.

I've pre-ordered my PS5 copy and can't wait to play. My fiancé is also really excited for it and she never plays games so I may have to get 2 copies and one of us can play on PC ?

I'm a little disappointed there is no quidditch but with flying already implemented I'm holding out hope for some quidditch DLC down the track. Maybe a Quidditch World Cup expansion or something.

• Like 2

Play the game, or don't play the game. There is no try. Any questions?

Actually no, I change my mind. I don't to answer to those of you who've decided (not me, you) my simple advice is a threat to your personal agenda, which you destructively enforce upon us in this topic then proceed to antagonise/cancel us for doubting even the absolute slightest part of it.

"If you are not with me, then you are my enemy!" ...Dealing in absolutes, much?

J.K.'s thoughts and actions against transgender people does not give the right to spew shit on anybody else, believing otherwise (for any reason) can be very unheatlthy.

I intend this to be my one and only post because some of y'all here are just too dense for myself + others to reason with. In no way do I condone the Harry Potter author's hate nor the negativity plaguing this topic. We should all be better than her, not alike.

Edited by Dry
What's this... Not just one but TWO Star Wars references in a post to a Harry Potter game's topic, really? Haha.
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, squaresoft4ever7 said:

Off topic but regarding everyone is different, that is definitely true because for whatever reason I just can't get into the Zelda series... I know I am probably being disowned as I type this in 1f602.png

Oh I'm 100% the same. We can be disowned together. 

I think my wife is far more excited about this game than me, but she was pretty bummed when the PS4 version was delayed. Little does she know I'll be picking up a PS5 soon which I know she will immediately take over and buy Hogwarts Legacy

19 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

nah to each their own. Embrace your likes. I like older zelda games. I think BOTW is empty, bland, shit that fails to capture what Zelda is truly about. Shrines arent dungeons, classic weapons are absent as are classic enemies. The list goes on. 

You be you and like what you choose. :)

on topic though, this game is out in 16 days. Crazy!

Yeah, the strangest thing is that I respect the game series for what it is, Ocarina of Time was a huge deal when it first came out I was actually just starting middle school at the time so it was pretty popular game among classmates.  I always enjoyed watching a friend play it but never really gave it much of a chance.  I think the only game I enjoyed was Links Awakening DX because it had simple controls on the GBC. 

1 hour ago, RoastedPeanut said:

Oh I'm 100% the same. We can be disowned together. 

I think my wife is far more excited about this game than me, but she was pretty bummed when the PS4 version was delayed. Little does she know I'll be picking up a PS5 soon which I know she will immediately take over and buy Hogwarts Legacy

Haha yay for being disowned ?

Oh nice! Yeah it's a shame the PS4 versions of these releases have been very vanilla(looking at you GOW2)  but that's cool that you plan on surprising your wife :)

On 1/22/2023 at 0:18 AM, Darling Baphomet said:

For those who are planning on skipping this game but like HP-esque stuff, I can wholeheartedly recommend Ikenfell, which is an indie RPG focused around a magic school where every party member is queer. Also features music by people who also worked on Steven Universe's soundtrack. Was one of my favorite games of 2020.

Looks cute. Also, SU is one of my favorite shows.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

Which makes me wonder what the general consensus on the game would be if she was instead a misandrist that not only expressed hateful views against men, but also campaigned to make things worse for men in society, like trying to reduce support for men's mental health and/or domestic abuse support or something. I imagine there'd still be plenty of people that don't really care and will "separate art from artist", but I would genuinely be curious to see how many could do that when her views and actions actually do directly affect them a tad more.

Strawman's argument. Rowling is against a small percentage of people, not half of all people. 

• Like 4