The PS4 Will Let You Use Your Real Name at Launch

Aranea Highwind

You will be able to identify using your real name when using PlayStation 4's online services at launch, Sony has confirmed to Kotaku.

The option - for it is entirely optional, albeit encouraged -  marks the first step in Sony's mission to offer a more personal and social experience for the PlayStation 4 player. Both Microsoft and Sony are focusing heavily on social integration in their next-gen plans, although Microsoft recently announced that you won't be able to use your real name online when Xbox One launches.

"While real identities continue to be part of our plans for the experience on Xbox One, at launch, customers will continue to search for friends using their Gamertags," a Microsoft spokesperson explained. "Our teams are working hard to deliver a quality experience for Xbox One. This means prioritizing some features and sometimes postponing others for a later update."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/23/the-ps4-will-let-you-use-your-real-name-at-launch

Eh i probably won't use my real name on multiplayer games , Though if i can i would like to set everyone on my friends list to be able to see my real name etc 

but in public multiplayer games i don't think i will , Depends i might though :)

If just my friends can see it fine but I would rather use my user name for Mp games.

I have also got to know some on first name bases.

Edited by snakebit10
  • Like 1

Ehhh no thanks, I'm disappointed that they're not implementing the ability to change our PSN usernames, In my opinion Sony dropped the ball on that one, big time. If the next gen is expected to last 7 years, I don't want to be stuck with my name for that long, I won't be using my real name at all. :P

• Like 2

Ehhh no thanks, I'm disappointed that they're not implementing the ability to change our PSN usernames, In my opinion Sony dropped the ball on that one, big time. If the next gen is expected to last 7 years, I don't want to be stuck with my name for that long, I won't be using my real name at all. :P

I feel the same way, you can change your username on Xbox for a small fee and yet Sony hasn't even thought about that still. I really would like the option to change my PSN name already.

• Like 1

Hopefully (and I think Sony announced that we can) we'll be able to make it so our friends can see our real names while other PSN users see our PSN name. If that is the case then everyone on my PSN friends list will be seeing my real name and others will see James_Page. 

Parker

• Like 1

I have no problem using my real name, my PSN I.D. is my real name anyway. Plus about 95% of my friends already know me by it so nothing will really change. Plus I don't use Facebook, Twitter, ect. so PSN is basically my social media. It's a neat feature, and Sony was smart making it optional because clearly not everyone will use it.

Why would I want to use my real name?

At least it's optional.

Read that article over IGN this morning. And YES. It is Optional not mandatory.

But I don't buy the idea.

If the purpose is to easily search your long lost or perhaps HS friends then I'll just leave that

to Facebook and do the searching from then on. Once found., dropping a PM is as easy as one-two-three.

Then ADD him/her up to your PSN friend list.

For me...Our online names/ PSN Names / Gamertags are our simple getaway from the World we are living at. (In my opinion)

and not to mention a sense of Privacy.

Just my two cents on the topic.  :) 

Edited by xf22Razgriz