Cyberpunk 2077 - overpromise, sell, underdeliver (Crowbcat)

Lordidude

Despite Cyberpunk being one of the most disastrous launches in video game history, I'm betting on both of my ass cheeks that still many of you have active pre-orders. Because no matter how awful things get, some people just never, ever learn, and repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

A big YouTuber once said:

If you buy a game at launch, you are paying the most amount of money for the worst version of the game.

If you still insist on being an early adopter, you deserve every bit of stress, anger, frustration and whatnot caused by shoddy, unfinished, and undercooked games. And I literally enjoy every post bitching about yet another terrible bug-riddled game.

You brought this to yourself.

Edited by R4M Jolly Monk

7 minutes ago, R4M Jolly Monk said:

Despite Cyberpunk being one of the most disastrous launches in video game history, I'm betting on both of my ass cheeks that still many of you have active pre-orders. Because no matter how awful things get, some people just never, ever learn, and repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

If you still insist on being an early adopter, you deserve every bit of stress, anger, frustration and whatnot caused by shoddy, unfinished, and undercooked games. And I literally enjoy every post bitching about yet another terrible bug-riddled game.

You brought this to yourself.

As someone who pre-orders all the time... the vast majority of the games I play are fine on launch.  Not like "I'm ok with things running at 10fps and riddled with mission/game-breaking bugs" fine... but like actually fine.  The games work and play from start to finish with machine appropriate framerates and resolutions.  Things aren't that bad.  If they get that bad, I'll reconsider but I think you need to relax a little.

Though generally speaking, if you're the type to get upset over some minor bugs in the many, many not-Cyberpunk scenarios... then yeah, maybe stop preordering stuff.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

Though generally speaking, if you're the type to get upset over some minor bugs in the many, many not-Cyberpunk scenarios... then yeah, maybe stop preordering stuff.

I cannot stop what I'm not doing. I've pre-ordered games twice in my life:

• Zelda - Ocarina of Time (1998)
  • Fallout 4 (2015)

Never again.

By the way: Keep lying to yourself. That's what people like you do all the fucking time. "It's not so bad". Yeah, you must've really low standards if you're okay with the shit the companies pulling these days.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, R4M Jolly Monk said:

I cannot stop what I'm not doing. I've pre-ordered games twice in my life:

• Zelda - Ocarina of Time (1998)
  • Fallout 4 (2015)

Never again.

By the way: Keep lying to yourself. That's what people like you do all the fucking time. "It's not so bad". Yeah, you must've really low standards if you're okay with the shit the companies pulling these days.

It was the general "you" ... not you specifically.  It'd be hilarious if you did pre-order after these posts though. xD  Though I was under no impression you did.

By the way: lol  It's really not bad but ok.

Edited by Dreakon13

43 minutes ago, PeachXHime said:

Pre-ordering games has become worse over time, the environment we're in now simply doesn't allow us to have faith in the bigger game studios any longer. With such a huge market to exploit, it's to be expected from a bunch of greedy suits in charge. Also, it seemingly has become a trend that delayed games are eventually shit, Miyamoto's quote doesn't hold up anymore, times for sure have changed.

Pre-ordering or buying anything can result in a lemon. You could have bought a Nissan car with faulty airbags, a Samsung phone with an exploding battery, or a Ford SUV with tires that fall apart.

Overall quality of products have improved over time but that hasn't stopped lemons or complete failures from happening once in a while. 

Why would someone preorder something nowadays anyway? 

Same day shipping from Amazon, Best Buy, Wal-mart. 

Digital preloads.(you can't preload without preordering)
LRG limited runs.

one should not be worried about not being able to play a game they want to on release day.

Good luck trying to tell others what they should and should not worry about.

Edited by TJ_Solo

12 minutes ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

Why would someone preorder something nowadays anyway? With digital distribution and pre-load being a thing one should not be worried about not being able to play a game they want to on release day.

Well...

1. You need to preorder to pre-load, no?  Maybe that's changed.

2. I personally buy physical so there is always the possibility it's actually difficult to get... especially after watching 2020 unfold.

3. I tend to take reviews with a grain of salt so outside of these extreme Cyberpunk scenarios, there isn't much to learn from them.  Severe technical issues aren't that common and are the most noteworthy things I'd take out of pre-release reviews, especially in single player games, and most other things (gameplay, story) I prefer to experience/judge for myself.  Whether I buy it the day before release day, or on release day, is moot.

4. I want to, and can afford to, and am comfortable taking the risk on to play it ASAP.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

This whole situation makes me laugh because one month on there are still so many people pissing & moaning about it. Take your refund & move on or if you don't want a refund, wait patiently for the patches & fixes.

At the end of the day, no-one made anyone pre-order the game, you didn't have someone sat next to you with a gun to your head forcing you to do so. If you got sucked into the hype train, then maybe just maybe you shouldn't be so susceptible to being manipulated by media, marketing & hype & should demonstrate a little free will.

CDPR earned my goodwill with Witcher 3 but I had decided not to get Cyberpunk due to it being first person only so I paid no attention to it from announcement almost upto release. Then because I had nothing new I wanted to play in the run up to Christmas, I pre-ordered the game on a whim the week before release, the only trailer I watched was the CGI one from a couple years ago & I ignored the hype. Do I regret it? Absolutely not, I'm very much enjoying my time with it.

I've not encountered any bugs that I haven't been able to fix just by reloading my save & I'm not even playing on the most up to date patch. Other than a few crashes, the version of the game I'm on now is stable & runs well so I've stayed on that.

As for the pre-order argument, no-one makes anyone place pre-orders & the risk of paying up front without seeing the product should be obvious to anyone who has ever bought something online in their life, it's common sense.

I place pre-orders, have done for years & will continue to do so, (I currently have 2 at the moment, Persona 5: Phantom Strikers & Back 4 Blood). I only buy physical games (I only get digital if a physical copy of something is not available) but I avoid large companies like GAME (unless they have a CE or version I want thats exclusive to them) & support smaller companies like The Game Collection. I get my games cheaper this way as smaller companies are more competitive in most instances.

I work hard & I provide for my family so gaming is my treat/reward to myself. It's my main hobby when I have spare time around life so I choose to spend my money on it how I wish, I don't pre-order every big release like some people but I do I occasionally buy games on a whim like with Cyberpunk.

For the most part I only pre-order/buy what I know I'll like & as I'm a completionist who likes to get every trophy & see every bit of a game (I have almost 700 hours on Witcher 3 for example), it can take me a long time to finish a game, take Assassin's Creed Oddessey for example, that was the only game I played for over 2 months as it took me that long to finish it when I had the time to play.

Edited by ObsceneSociopath

Fifth time I've seen someone post this video... oh, boy. Reminds me of a video about Pathologic 2 that a guy called Filipe Ramos did here in the Brazilian YouTube. People literally posted that video dozens of times everywhere, to the point where it became a meme of sorts.

Oh, well. The outrage mob will calm down eventually.

I hope.

Edited by Eagle

1 hour ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

Why would someone preorder something nowadays anyway? With digital distribution and pre-load being a thing one should not be worried about not being able to play a game they want to on release day.

Come on now, do you really need to ask this.

Either because they're extremely impatient (some games even give you the option to download 48 hours before everyone else, if you pre-order) or because they think they have a virtual relationship with the company, so they feel pride and joy, to support their endeavors.

6 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Come on now, do you really need to ask this.

Either because they're extremely impatient (some games even give you the option to download 48 hours before everyone else, if you pre-order) or because they think they have a virtual relationship with the company, so they feel pride and joy, to support their endeavors.

I don't think it's "extremely impatient" to want to play a game at release?

Edited by Dreakon13

Just now, scemopagliaccioh said:

Yes.

Oxford dictionary:

"

/ɪmˈpeɪʃnt/

/ɪmˈpeɪʃnt/
    annoyed by somebody/something, especially because you have to wait for a long time

wanting to do something soon; wanting something to happen soon

"

Such a well constructed post.

You missed the word extremely, also in the quotes, by the way.  Can't believe I have to rationalize wanting to play a game when it comes out lol.

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

Such a well constructed post.

You missed the word extremely, also in the quotes, by the way.  Can't believe I have to rationalize wanting to play a game when it comes out lol.

What the hell do you expect? You're saying that being impatient doesn't mean being impatient, what kind of well constructed post can even reply to this premise? Let's see, maybe this: "some people are impatient, but not you, you're smart, patient, and clearly know best than everybody else", happy now?

18 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

What the hell do you expect? You're saying that being impatient doesn't mean being impatient, what kind of well constructed post can even reply to this premise? Let's see, maybe this: "some people are impatient, but not you, you're smart, patient, and clearly know best than everybody else", happy now?

Literally meant the construction of the post, so excited about "beating" my point you couldn't clean that copy and paste up a little?

And again, the word "extremely" attached to impatient changes the tone considerably.  It's not "extremely impatient" to want to play something when it's available.

EDIT: I'd say it barely counts as impatient due to the negative connotation to it, and being excited for a game isn't inherently a bad thing, but I guess Oxford would disagree with that since by definition it's literally wanting anything to happen lol.  So you got me there.

Edited by Dreakon13

Outside of the bugs and crashes the game is a solid 8/10 on PS5.

However, it launched in in frankly unacceptable state. You can tell they completely ignored most of the QA team's feedback. 

They also engaged in what can be considered deceptive marketing tactics. From a marketing standpoint I don't know what they were thinking. No matter how much goodwill you have saved up cashing all of it out at once is never a good move.

Either way CDPR's upper-management will have to learn the lesson the hard way. While I don't think this is enough to bankrupt the company, it does put them in a precarious position where they could be acquired by someone like Ubisoft if they're not careful.

• Like 1

Savage.

It's not as flashy or funny as his Fallout video but the content speaks for itself.

I remember being so psyched for the game until I realized their promises were lies about 15-20 hours in. 

It's a lesson (and damning indictment) of CDPR and perhaps WB management.

The E3 2018 demo was clearly done for show. Why did they think they could complete an ambitious open world game in 2 years? 

34 minutes ago, BeeR3Dx said:

False advertising is tough to prove?

That’s not what the lawsuit is over. I linked an article that explains it pretty simply. The only current lawsuit is an investor lawsuit. Probably because any lawyer worth their pay knows a false advertising lawsuit is futile. Public opinion has a much, much, much lower bar that the legal system. 

10 hours ago, HusKy said:

This would be a mild case of victim blaming at best. Every video released by CDPR was misleading. I'm not sure what kind of research you can do before buying a game on day 1 but these videos were all there was to see. To say it's consumers fault for preordering is simply wrong.

I bought RDR2 on day 1, it was flawless pretty much. No drama, no fiasco. But if the game was as shitty as CP2077, I would be very disappointed.

I have no stake in this personally, I will play the game on PS5 if it ever gets fixed.

Well said man! Plus, everyone who reviewed the game only got the PC version and later on the ones for the consoles. So the very first scores were all great. Ordering it after hearing that it is actually a good game and worth the hype is absolutely normal if you don't want to buy instantly but rather wait for some opinions. It was like 2 to 3 days after the first reviews that people found out how shitty it actually runs on the consoles. Anyway, the consumer is not to blame. For preordering? Yes, but that is always something you shouldn't do. CDPR however went a step further by lying and keeping things under the rug. They deserve all the criticism they get. And the law suits.

1 hour ago, BeeR3Dx said:

False advertising is tough to prove?

It depends on a countries laws, in the UK we are taught that fraud is difficult to prove- there are big differences between misrepresentation and fraud, they are different breaches. The article I skim read said that the complaint is about fraud.

What does false advertising have to do with investors suing over financial loses? 

That lawsuit is open to anyone that bought stock in CDPR in 2020 but the crazy thing is depending on when it was bought a person may not have lost any money. 
The argument about dividends is figuring out how much profit CDPR made not just Cyberpunk and the lawsuit was filed well before yearly earnings were even announced. 

It is quite a strange way to manage an investor lawsuit. 

I'm not against preorders, I've done many that I found very satisfying. Fuck me, but I preordered Days Gone and had a blast with it..only bug I got was a texture popping here and there. I would be lying if I said I won't buy any CDPR games in the future, but boy am I glad I dodged this bullet. Got the game preordered up until 3 weeks for launch, and decided to cancel it out of the blue.

Honestly, I'm way past seeing games as a pure form of art and technology. This here is a business, and companies will try their best and worst to sell. Gamers are all against micro transactions, and yet, COD and Fortnite are making billions a year. C2077 got lucrative on launch from preorders alone. You think Bioware will ditch the game as a service/mtx model just because of Anthem? Fuck no, they will at least come up with a better polished game, with tons of repetitive content.

This business model works, and the people who are sick of it unfortunately are not the majority.

Edited by kaltezhan
  • Like 1