Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

4 hours ago, Zircon_Lotus said:

I hope this is not true, but it is very likely. First Sony makes the dumb move to end all sales for PS3 and Vita games. And to make things worse, some games are still for full price.

Yep, this is one very irritating thing about the PS3 and Vita stores now. I will likely suck it up and spend $23 on Far Cry 4's Valley of the Yetis DLC because it's the only one left on my trophy list I don't own yet, but I won't buy anything else I otherwise would have if there were still sales and deep discounts. Instead of discounting their digital-only games/DLC and getting a few dollars a piece from me, Sony and the publishers keep them at full price and get nothing.

1 hour ago, Agent_Renegade22 said:

Then you have Xbox today, wonderful infrastructure/connectivity with all former systems, total backward compatibility, very strong digital services like Game Pass (I own PS Now which would easily be the major counterpart of GP but Sony is like "nah fuck that", and it's shame so much potential is wasted on Sony's hands...).

Microsoft isn't much better. Xbox One and Xbox Series X require an internet connection to set them up the first time and they require a Microsoft account linked to them to use them (there's no local/offline accounts like on PS3, PS4, PS5, Wii U, Switch and Xbox 360). You don't have to be online after the first time if you set them as your home console, but the fact that you need to connect to use them out of the box (or after a factory reset) makes their future usage contingent on Microsoft continuing to provide Xbox Live access for them. It's not unlike the issue raised in this thread of digital games on PS3, PSP and Vita being contingent on Sony continuing to provide access to their respective storefronts.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

If this does turn out to be true, I wonder how Sony will react to the backlash, if they do at all.

It is interesting to see how much backlash this is getting when it's still just a rumour. I don't remember the Wii Shop shut down getting tons of backlash, and that was official from the start if memory serves. As far as I'm aware, you can still re-download previously purchased games from the Wii Shop as well. Though I imagine many people emulate the Wii nowadays, or have a homebrewed Wii. Perhaps how easy the Wii was to mod was part of the reason there wasn't such a huge outcry. Not everything on PS3, PSP or Vita is backed up elsewhere, even now, and homebrewing Playstation consoles involves far more risks than the Wii (possible account bans, bricking the console, etc.), not to mention I don't think hacking any Playstation console is anywhere near as easy as a Nintendo one, but I haven't ever tried myself so I'm not 100% certain. And emulation for PS3 is still pretty crap, Vita emulation is even worse.

Certainly going to breathe a massive sigh of relief if this whole thing does turn out to be fake.

You're right, probably the lack of outcry to Wii is because of many factors:

1 - It's a very casual videogame

2 - Expendable online features (the core of the gameplay was offline with couch coop)

3 - Due to reason number 2 and how easy it is to softmod a Wii, you had no reason not to, so if Nintendo cut the cord of the official mean to grab games, you could still have access to all content from unofficial means

The issue with PS3 and Vita is most of its current users still want to be able to play online on them and grab digital-only games with an unmodded console.

Edited by EdinhoN

Just now, EdinhoN said:

You're right, probably the lack of outcry to Wii is because of many factors:

1 - It's a very casual videogame

2 - Expendable online features (the core of the gameplay was offline with couch coop)

3 - Due to reason number 2 and how easy it is to softmod a Wii, you had no reason not to, so if Nintendo cut the cord of the official mean to grab games, you could still have access to all content from unofficial means

The issue with PS3 and Vita is most of its current users still want to be able to play online on them with an unmodded console.

Yeah the Wii made a lot of sales, but a lot of people bought as their first console, or as something to just mess around with stuff like Wii Sports and Wii Fitness, and likely didn't end up using it for several years. And yes, the fact you didn't have any online account on the Wii and your purchases were tied to the console made it kind of "risk free" as far as modding it goes, especially with how easy it is to do so.

I remember playing some Black Ops zombie mode with a friend a month or two ago, was quite surprised to still see a few thousand people online. While it's definitely not as active as it used to be, there's still some online games on PS3 that are still alive and kicking. I still see plenty of PS3 trophies being earned when viewing profiles on this site as well, not to mention when PSN was having issues a few weeks ago (mostly affecting PS3 and Vita), there were quite a few threads about it on a number of different websites. There's still a large enough player base that I don't really understand why Sony is (potentially) deciding to pull the plug, especially so soon after the webstore redesign.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EdinhoN said:

Gran Turismo 4 looked ancient lol

Yeah who would play a 2004 game running at 1080i on a 20 year old console right?

Meanwhile Xbox Series X is capable of running all 4 Xbox generations officially, not to mention you can install RetroArch by using developer mode and emulating even PS1 and PS2 (not a hack at all, totally legit, which means it's safe to keep using your Xbox online).

Sony's lack of attention for its loyal customers will build their downfall, which will be huge and epic.

This is what I was thinking about as well!

Sony fucked up with PS3 launch and they had to work hard in order to regain their reputation as Xbox 360 was a brilliant console with brilliant games (crazy to believe it actually had esclusives back then, like Mass Effect and BioShock (yes, those were Xbox esclusives) for example not mentioning their first parties)...

Long story short PS3 became home of legendary games, they started PS+ and many others good things but I have the feeling like Sony fell asleep after Microsoft's disaster at 2013 E3 that gave the win to Sony even before the new gen started.. Meanwhile Microsoft started to work hard this time, Game Pass, powerful console this time, optimal backward compatibility, solid online network, etc.

Sony also killed their first party games too early, Resistance series was shutted down like 7 years ago, then we had the big downfall of 2019 even if a lot of games were still pretty popular.

They really need to wake up for real, great games saved Sony until now but Microsoft has a big potential again after so many years, not mentioning they are way ahead when it comes to the online network.

5 minutes ago, LordBilbanes said:

I hate Jim Ryan so fucking much.  Making that sack of shit the head of SIE has been the worst decision the company has made since the pricing of the Playstation 3 when it initially launched.

You and me, sad times we live in, how could they put this guy in charge with such mentality?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CrestfallenAU said:

Microsoft isn't much better. Xbox One and Xbox Series X require an internet connection to set them up the first time and they require a Microsoft account linked to them to use them (there's no local/offline accounts like on PS3, PS4, PS5, Wii U, Switch and Xbox 360). You don't have to be online after the first time if you set them as your home console, but the fact that you need to connect to use them out of the box (or after a factory reset) makes their future usage contingent on Microsoft continuing to provide Xbox Live access for them. It's not unlike the issue raised in this thread of digital games on PS3, PSP and Vita being contingent on Sony continuing to provide access to their respective storefronts.

That could be a reason why Microsoft is still keeping old consoles alive, so it's not necessarily a negative point here. 

About the first time online set up I think pretty much the whole world can access internet of some type today and ironically the nations that don't have easy access to internet surely won't have an easy access to a Microsoft console lol

• Like 1

While some of ya'll are understandably upset that Sony is (allegedly) abandoning a 15 year old console, the ridiculous statements like "death of sony" and "playstations downfall" are so completely unfounded.  By and large the people buying these consoles couldn't care less about EOL on old games.  The average gamer just buys the latest call of duty and playstation exclusives, they aren't hoarding hundreds of discs for 20 year old game consoles.  While I too have a house full of old games, let's not pretend doing this will impact sony in the slightest.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LordBilbanes said:

I hate Jim Ryan so fucking much.  Making that sack of shit the head of SIE has been the worst decision the company has made since the pricing of the Playstation 3 when it initially launched.

I agree, he's killing the fucking PlayStation business. The guy is just a business man and that's all he knows, he's not passionate about gaming and games at all. Just because he's not interested in game preservation doesn't mean no one else cares. He needs to step down!

Imagine if this turns out to be true though and Sony state on top of all this that you won't be able to download anything you've purchased either... I don't see how they can shut the stores down but keep it open to being able to download your purchase history? Doesn't your purchase history have to go through the PS Store to know you've purchased it?

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, PeachXHime said:

If the PS3 store indeed shuts down, does this mean we'd be locked out of paid avatars?

I don't think you can purchase PS3 avatars on PS4 and the browser.

This is true. There's even exclusive PS3 avatars in the jp store. I think theres some Yakuza avatars that I would like to buy. Too bad Sony is fucking stupid.

• Like 1

I have a lot of PS3 games I still play, and they def. wouldn't come to PS4 without being censored by Current Sony...

And even Yakuza Dead Souls and Yakuza Kenzan weren't remastered by Sega.

Edited by Jigsy1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

In 2018? Several games were released between 2018 and 2021.

He's a jerk.

Pretty sure he's the one releasing ScourgeBringer. Honestly, despite being the last Vita game, I may not buy it because of that comment.

If what he is saying is true, why release a Vita game at all at this point? He'll get the 1200 or so sales of the physical LE for sure, and maybe a few thousand digital sales. But if you're releasing it right when the store is closing, that seems hardly worth the time and energy.

Of course, the fact that a Vita game releasing in 2021 can still easily generate thousands of sales, makes you really wonder why Sony is so desperate to kill the store

9 hours ago, arcanehornet_ said:

It’s funny how the PS5 digital edition might be completely useless in 15 years.

Kurisutina has spoken the truth ?

May the mighty words of Celeb17 guide you all gamers and non-gamers alike to the path of enlightenment :highfive:

Kurisu Pose" Postcard by KokoroPopShop | Redbubble

• Like 3

If the stores are indeed closed. Well you have to feel a bit sorry for PS5 owners who have a PS5 without the BluRay drive. That's a brick 10-15 years in the making...

Wasn't there also the PSP Go which was sold without a UMB drive?

1 minute ago, Jigsy1 said:

They reap what they sow there.

Also got to remember, all those game discs that have day 1 patches to fix a whole ton of the game. Even if you have the disk, no guarantee that the game will want to patch itself one day when you reinstall it. And that goes for ps4 and ps5 release discs too.

This would be quite the dilemma if the source was actually trustworthy. If they had actually made the PS5 compatible with the PS3 with all the things that entails, the PS3 Store Closing wouldn't get this much reaction. I get the feeling this is around the point where Sony start trying to push people to PSNow for their digital PS3 content.