Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

The Blu Ray drive died on my PS3 a while back so the only way to still play games on it was digitally. From time to time I’d still go back and play games I’d added to my download list from Plus but never got around to playing. I just HOPE that we can still re download that Plus content as well as games we’ve purchased digitally.

3 minutes ago, Ichiban-Hybrid said:

So if they are closing the PS3 and Vita stores, does that mean we won't be able to sign-in and sync trophies anymore?? O_O

yea I'm worried about that too

if they close down the store (there only source of revenue on those platforms) then they would probably shut down all online functionality, but there's no mention of that

6 minutes ago, VELOCIOUS-VIPER said:

yea I'm worried about that too

if they close down the store (there only source of revenue on those platforms) then they would probably shut down all online functionality, but there's no mention of that

If they do that and I’m left with online trophies/syncing trophies that I can’t get, I will officially quit trophy hunting.

This is much worse than removing the PS3/Vita library from the online stores. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

The fact that the PSP Store IS PERMANENTLY CLOSED tells me these asshats don’t know what the flying fuck they’re talking about. 

I’m down to two Vita games and roughly 12 - 13 titles on the PS3, which I’ve already downloaded on my system so if this news is indeed true I am safe in regards to having them on my consoles. 

However, there are a few games I still want for these systems. Duke Nukem Forever, Dante’s Inferno, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. All of these titles, that I consider AA games have DLC. So because of this scaremongering, whether it’s real or fake, whether it will happen in a few months or not, I’m now being pressured to buy these games with the DLC. That’s just the thing I want when my goal all year this year has been to reduce my backlog. 

I am going to put aside some money and bet a 75 percent chance this won’t happen. The real problem here is Sony has failed to give a proper notice. 

The PSP Store is gone, so the guy who threw this out there is full of shit. It’s just a sign that the higher ups, like many other higher ups in other companies, don’t know their own products. I doubt Jim Ryan is even aware there is still an audience for old PS3/Vita titles. 

Regardless, this pisses me off. Just one of many slip ups Sony has committed these past few years, because money is becoming more apparent to them than ever.

It's bound to happen at some point. But let's be real here... Your obsession with Jim Ryan is starting to become totally unhealthy, @AJ_Radio. Like @DrBloodmoney said to you in the PlayStation 4 Beta thread, it is totally unhealthy to be obsessed with one person to direct your anger towards to. Jim Ryan or the higher ups neither care or know who you are. So it would be wise to calm down and not think of him or the higher ups of Sony as evil demons out to get your precious games. I would implore that you calm down.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, NxtDoc said:

Xbox does not have total backwards compatibility... why do people believe it does?  What the hell?

The original Xbox had a little over 1,000 Games.  The Xbox 360 had 2,154 Games.  You can play less than 40 Original Xbox games.  And a couple hundred 360 Games.  

Not only that, they aren't even Backwards Compatible!  They were brought forward.  Which is nice.

But to say that Xbox is fully backwards compatible is laughable  And it shows that Xbox's propaganda is working

Jealous fanboy alert. if you count regional stacks (Since XB1 is region free) you have over 600 360 games. That 600 more than PS4 has. You can also play all purchased DLC for those games.  Since BC wasn't in the original plans (MS initially said it would be impossible) it's done via emulation....but it DOES use the 360 servers, and you CAN play with people playing on a 360....so pretty compatible IMO. MS listened to their fanbase, and made it happen. It's not perfect, and it's not complete...but it's a hell of a lot better than what Sony has done. Xbox has also NEVER stated that it's fully BC, so it's not their "Propaganda".

Edited by Floorkiller74
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, dakk55 said:

This would be quite the dilemma if the source was actually trustworthy. If they had actually made the PS5 compatible with the PS3 with all the things that entails, the PS3 Store Closing wouldn't get this much reaction. I get the feeling this is around the point where Sony start trying to push people to PSNow for their digital PS3 content.

AS region still does not get the PS Now service, guess I have to play those PS3 games on an emulator. Actually there even aren't many PS2 games in the PS store (NA region), so I'm wondering if Sony is not willing to port those games to PS4/5 due to specific reasons

30 minutes ago, Ichiban-Hybrid said:

So if they are closing the PS3 and Vita stores, does that mean we won't be able to sign-in and sync trophies anymore?? O_O

What does the Store have to do with trophies and sign-in?

Jesus Christ this is getting out of control.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 2

Even if somehow in the future PS3 and Vita games somehow do get emulated, are you gonna want to download 10 gigs of ROM just for a game. A game that won't allow trophy popping?

This video details why the PS3 is hard to emulate and why Sony likely is not interested in bringing PS3 games to the PS4 or PS5 store.

I can't help but feel that these games will die and not return for quite a number of years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I can't help but feel that these games will die and not return for quite a number of years.

If ever. There's still a lot of games that were "lost" with the Wii shop closure, though thankfully they have been preserved and are easy enough to emulate or play on a homebrewed Wii/Wii U. There's plenty more that have been delisted across several platforms though with no physical versions for people to fall back on, even on PS4. That's just the sad reality of difital.

But as I think you said earlier in this thread, it's not like even physical is forever any more (I mean, it never was, but was certainly more reliable than digital). Patches, parts of games that aren't on the disc at all and have to be downloaded - I still collect physical whenever I can but I'm under no illusion that I may not be able to play some of my physical games several years from now, or at least not in their most up to date state.

Games, digital and even physical, are essentially just licenses nowadays. You're buying the license to play the game, not the game itself, and that license can be revoked whenever. There really aren't many consumer rights when it comes to this kind of thing sadly. It's all well and good for people to claim they'll "sue Sony" but they "agreed" to this in the terms of service. It's something a lot of us are aware of but try to ignore until things like this hit us in the face.

• Like 4

This is exactly why as much as possible, I avoid buying games digitally. If this is indeed true, then people won't obviously be able to buy not only the games but also the DLCs. Digital-only PS3 and Vita game would by default, have unobtainable plats to those that didn't get the chance to purchase them before the inevitable shutdown. Completionists will be more screwed over by this as DLCs will no longer exist, outside of maybe buying a physical copy that contains those DLCs. 

This rumor made me panic a bit lol. I gotta check what PS3 and Vita games/DLC I still need to get so I don't get screwed over.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Probably the biggest elephant in the room might be trophy syncing. And basically Sony just deleting our trophies.

Many games back on PS3 I sold, and also my original PS3 died with YLOD. I have them of course on Sony's servers. But one day they might close down that service too. Why wouldn't they?

There are 3.5 billion trophies tracked on this site. Imagine how much more there are in Sony's entire database?

That number is going to be exponential. Who wants to foot that bill?

Unless you have a PS3, run the game again and sync your trophies, you don't have them. Not anymore.

In other words, we sync all our trophies because we earn them on several systems.

The final step is for Sony to just abandon storing our trophies.

The Wii store closed but that had no achievements. Sony don't have to store our trophy data, forever.

Maybe by PS6 there will be a new trophy system, or some other reward system that replaces the current one.

I have a ton of unlocked galleries on PS2 games. 100% completed!

However that achievement dies along with the memory card it runs on.

Trophies are just data stored on a server. One day they might go too. It's genuinely something we/you all need to start thinking out.

Not being able to buy games is very annoying, not being able to download games we are already bought, that's incredibly annoying.

But not storing our trophies anymore...

This may sound far fetched, but seriously. People need to really think about their life priorities. If you found out by 2024 all your trophies would only remain on your systems, what would you do?

Nothing lasts forever...

Think about the positive thing: you can always start your games from scratch, the trophies are a bunch of data stored in the HDD before getting synced to the servers. Seriously, create a new profile (with or without being logged in to PSN, just disable autosync), start any game, get a trophy, then quit and delete the profile. It'll be deleted. The same applies to 0% lists: if you delete them from the PS4, you have to delete the profiles from the respective old-gen systems to FULLY delete them.

Edited by Lance_87

56 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

Jealous fanboy alert. if you count regional stacks (Since XB1 is region free) you have over 600 360 games. That 600 more than PS4 has. You can also play all purchased DLC for those games.  Since BC wasn't in the original plans (MS initially said it would be impossible) it's done via emulation....but it DOES use the 360 servers, and you CAN play with people playing on a 360....so pretty compatible IMO. MS listened to their fanbase, and made it happen. It's not perfect, and it's not complete...but it's a hell of a lot better than what Sony has done. Xbox has also NEVER stated that it's fully BC, so it's not their "Propaganda".

Again, it is nice.  It is no doubt than Sony's little to no effort.  But I am no fanboy.  I have over 300,000 Gamerscore on Xbox.   I just call it the way it is.  Nothing I said was incorrect.  

11 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Even if the report is wrong, I suggest everyone accept that those storefronts will definitely shut down one day and prepare accordingly. The Wii released in the same era as the PS3, and its online store closed two years ago...

But isn’t it true that to this day people can still re-download games they purchased before the store closed? 

I never bought any digital Wii games and there was only one I ever wanted, so it wasn’t a huge loss for me, though I would’ve purchased that one game if I had known the shop was shutting down (was out of the loop on gaming news at that time). 

That being said, if the same happened to the PS3/Vita Store it’d be pretty devastating to me since there are a few digital games I want to buy. But since I don’t have a Vita and my PS3 is currently out of commission-it makes no sense to spend money on digital games that never go on sale and that I might lose access to before I can even download them. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y

2 minutes ago, NxtDoc said:

Again, it is nice.  It is no doubt than Sony's little to no effort.  But I am no fanboy.  I have over 300,000 Gamerscore on Xbox.   I just call it the way it is.  Nothing I said was incorrect.  

You said a couple hundred, downplaying @600. You also went on about propaganda. Again, MS has never made that claim. 

5 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

But isn’t it true that to this day people can still re-download games they purchased before the store closed? 

Yes, it already happened with the PSP after all. And you could even use a PS3 (it's a minimum requirement for the PSP Street model)

Edited by Lance_87

3 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

I never bought any digital Wii games and there was only one I ever wanted, so it wasn’t a huge loss for me, though I would’ve purchased that one game if I had known the shop was shutting down (was out of the loop on gaming news at that time). 

That being said, if the same happened to the PS3/Vita Store it’d be pretty devastating to me since there are a few digital games I want to buy. But since I don’t have a Vita and my PS3 is currently out of commission-it makes no sense to spend money on digital games that never go on sale and that I might lose access to before I can even download them. 

No, Ouya and the Wii store and others like it. Once the store closes, you can't even download games you bought. You lose them forever..

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wjm5kw/nintendo-makes-it-clear-that-piracy-is-the-only-way-to-preserve-video-game-history