Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

10 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

"Oh you have 2-3 months to finish playing all your game content before we brick all your online capabilities"

Well I can see it happening one day.

Maybe you're right. I do not know what is in the mind of Sony's managers, but they should definitely stop using forbidden mushrooms. Unfortunately, the trophies have become an integral part of what unites us all here. That's cool. Disabling ps3/vita sync will turn these devices into bricks.

2 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

And after that, Sony will just think nah we won't sync your trophy information on any system now. We've got a new type of reward system. The trophy system in its entirety is being retired.

That genuinely might happen one day, and then Hakoom and other guys at the top will be very sad.

I legit see riots happening or at the very least, mass DDOSing if this ever happened.

But in all seriousness, with how short notice they've given for this, especially after the webstore redesign back in October and them finally nuking the original webstore a few days ago, it does genuinely worry me when they're going to pull the plug on other things. Who's to say they shut down all online functionality for these systems less than a year from now, and give 2 weeks notice? With how many things they've been killing off one after the other with a few months warning at most, I feel like I wouldn't be surprised by anything any more.

And that's really the thing that worries me the most about all this, knowing it could soon be the end of PS3 and Vita all together for everything online related, all it would take is a rumour that's confirmed within a week, with 3 months notice and that's it, bye bye trophy syncing, bye bye being able to re-download your content. I'd like to think even Sony wouldn't go that far, not any time soon, but who knows any more.

• Like 2

Time to move back to physical media. I don’t trust any of these tech companies to maintain your digital copies by keeping the servers running after the fact. Don’t even get me started on them blocking accounts and all your digital goods. 

3 minutes ago, DanielVT said:

Look, we all die someday. Nothing lasts forever. We've had these gens for a long long long time and to be fair we can still play physical copies and get trophies (and access previously purchased stuff on them. 15 years is a helluva long time to have the ps3 store and it really is beyond time to move onto the ps4 at least.

As much as I want to agree with you, Sony is doing more than taking away PS3/Vita games. 

They removed features on the PS4, and this summer they will also remove the movie library from the store. They’re doing this because they don’t want to look after it. 

And I wouldn’t give Nintendo respect either. They have tried killing off their old library of NES/Super NES games, far predating PS2/PS3. They locked and shut down numerous websites where people were having ROMs and Emulators. Their online functionality is still crap, and they mostly thrive on their exclusives. 

Since you’re concerned with the Vita, Vita physical games are going to shoot up in price. They are already very expensive, I had to pay premium prices for a couple of them. Memory cards are also ridiculously expensive. It was so much cheaper to buy a number of these games off the PS Store. 

Sony is killing a part of their legacy and burying anything that’s older than 2013 - 2014 under the rug because it’s no longer profitable. 

inFamous: Festival of Blood, a PS exclusive will no longer be bought. Though admittedly, PS Now keeps such games so players aren’t at a total loss. 

There needs to be alternatives, because potentially there is going to be a lot of content that will be lost forever. And if online functionality is gone, these legacy systems will be entirely useless.

The digital future is bleak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maurjen said:

when this shuts down wait till people start panicking about ps4 (they are already in the process of shutting things down)

I already decided to get some ps4 games instead. I'm not giving it 10 years to be in same sad state as PS3/Vita were for past 3 years or so.

In Japan second hand Vita games are almost not in stores anymore, and I managed to pick up a ton pretty cheap games here in Japan a few weeks ago.

But after hearing this news, i think Vita prices for games, and memory cards and Vitas in general, are gonna go up in price.

I hate smart phones with a passion because one day all games have their servers shut or are delisted from the store due to being old or whatever. This is another big reason I wanted a handheld like Vita.

It sucks that even Vita and other gaming platforms in general are becoming more and more like the mobile stores, you get a game play it for a while and then it vanishes. I am sure that is their intention, they don't want you to keep something forever, so they can keep reselling it to you over and over again.

The digital future is indeed bleak and this is a stark reminder.

Even one day youtube we take for granted, that seems to provide all the TV, music content that we could ever hope for. If youtube shut down tomorrow you would probably find you have very little music to listen too anymore as none of it you have saved anywhere. Everything is going streaming.

I guess it's no surprise things like Stadia and PS Now, even gaming is going the same way. You get access to it all! And then one day, you lose it all too....

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

In Japan second hand Vita games are almost not in stores anymore, and I managed to pick up a ton pretty cheap games here in Japan a few weeks ago.

But after hearing this news, i think Vita prices for games, and memory cards and Vitas in general, are gonna go up in price.

It's already happened ?

I suspect companies like PlayAsia and GameStop are gonna be having wild parties tonight at the thought of this news.

In retrospect I would not have cared less if places like GameStop died but now after discovering what the digital only future is really like. I'm of course certainly back on board having two options. If you want digital fine, but I hope companies now go back to also make physical copies. Even they would hate knowing that one day the work they spent 2-3 years making might one day be killed off.

Would you be happy if the game you poured all your blood in sweat into, was gonna be toast one day, and in many cases impossible to emulate years down the line? I wouldn't be happy either...

Edited by enaysoft

5 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I hate smart phones with a passion because one day all games have their servers shut or are delisted from the store due to being old or whatever. This is another big reason I wanted a handheld like Vita.

It sucks that even Vita and other gaming platforms in general are becoming more and more like the mobile stores, you get a game play it for a while and then it vanishes. I am sure that is their intention, they don't want you to keep something forever, so they can keep reselling it to you over and over again.

The digital future is indeed bleak and this is a stark reminder.

Even one day youtube we take for granted, that seems to provide all the TV, music content that we could ever hope for. If youtube shut down tomorrow you would probably find you have very little music to listen too anymore as none of it you have saved anywhere. Everything is going streaming.

I guess it's no surprise things like Stadia and PS Now, even gaming is going the same way. You get access to it all! And then one day, you lose it all too....

Exactly. 

I couldn’t care less about 95 percent of all digital content out there, since I’m generally very selective. 

Mobile gaming is a money sinkhole. After they started throwing in microtransactions and lootboxes I gave up on it forever. 

YouTube isn’t safe like many people claim it is. Many people I knew were banned or forced out over bogus copyright claims, and once your channel is banned your videos all get removed. And most people don’t have backups. 

We need alternatives. We live in an era where corporations have us like fish in a barrel. Even if 95 percent of everyone says something is wrong, the corporations get the green light anyway. 

Everything now is based on fast profits. Nobody cares about the long term. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PostalDudeRus said:

My biggest issue with PS Now is that thing isn't avaliable for my region (Russia) lmao

Yeah I looked in other accounts to see if the offerings were different (they are a little) but I found out Hong Kong, Korea, and China do not have PS Now at all on their PS4 dashboard ? 

A workaround would be to subscribe on another account, launch the game once to get the application square, then switch to your own account to play.

1 minute ago, EqualityEarth said:

Yeah I looked in other accounts to see if the offerings were different (they are a little) but I found out Hong Kong, Korea, and China do not have PS Now at all on their PS4 dashboard ? 

A workaround would be to subscribe on another account, launch the game once to get the application square, then switch to your own account to play.

Yes in Russia we have to use magic, and other gray way to play PS Now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EqualityEarth said:

And this also shows that Sony doesn’t care about other countries other than where they’re based at (America). 

I have my reasons for not using PS Now, but as it stands the service is lacking a lot of things that need to be there in addition to opening it up to other countries.

2 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

And this also shows that Sony doesn’t care about other countries other than where they’re based at (America). 

I have my reasons for not using PS Now, but as it stands the service is lacking a lot of things that need to be there in addition to opening it up to other countries.

It's always been like this. In Russia, the ps storе has always been circumcised. We had to register American accounts to play many games.?

Edited by U4oloG

2 minutes ago, TWOLF2016 said:

I dont care I am all PS5 nowadays. Doesnt even make sense to play the PS4 as most of the good ones I havent played will get the remaster treatment at some point. Glad I own most of the rare and valuable ps3 games.

You already get a boost playing PS4 games on the PS5 anyway. 

And the remasters are getting pretty old by now. You get an upgrade just playing The Last of Us Part II on the PS5. You don’t need a remaster for it.

So this is true. What does Sony have to gain by shutting down the PS3, PSVita, and PSP purchases? Nothing really. It's not just 10 people that still own a PS3, PSVita, or PSP. Money made in game sales would offset whatever costs are involved.

Hopefully the PS5's backward compatibility will save the PS4 store from a similar fate. Instead of remasters, publishers could just offer free PS5 upgrades, like some are doing now.

11 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

It will absolutely happen one day, sadly. I'm more worried about when it's gonna happen. I'd hate to spend like $200 on games just to find out I have 6 months or so to finish all of them. But I have to decide soon if I want to take the risk.

I'm so fed up with Sony. I'm a total Japanophile now because I hate the SJW influence in Western media, but now Sony is forcing censorship on them and a lot of them are going to other platorms.

I've been with PlayStation since PS1 and I hate what Jim Ryan has done to it. PS4 might be my last Sony console.

I can’t blame you to be honest. I’m not big on Japanese culture but you cannot deny there have been some awesome Sony games to come out of Japan. 

As someone who has spent thousands of dollars going back to the PS2 era about 15 - 16 years ago, I am really fed up with Sony’s attitude. 

They change the trophy system. They change Party Chats and remove Events and Communities on the PS4. They take away the old legacy store. They killed off Sony Studio Japan. They’re taking away much of what made Sony good. All this has happened since Sony moved to California.

All of the giant tech companies in California are shit. I’ve done enough research on them to know they have stopped caring about the consumers long ago. Sony is now easily comparable with Apple, Activision and EA. Seems that the companies who really give a crap at all anymore are the smaller tech companies, who generally get bought out anyway. 

Doesn’t help that much of what they’re advertising and promoting has been western centric and western focused. It’s no wonder Japanese developers are moving to other platforms.

Sony doesn’t give a damn about their long term customers. Apparently preservation doesn’t matter since they’re killing it. 

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

So this is true. What does Sony have to gain by shutting down the PS3, PSVita, and PSP purchases? Nothing really. It's not just 10 people that still own a PS3, PSVita, or PSP. Money made in game sales would offset whatever costs are involved.

Hopefully the PS5's backward compatibility will save the PS4 store from a similar fate. Instead of remasters, publishers could just offer free PS5 upgrades, like some are doing now.

They don't want to engage in backward compatibility. They lie that it is difficult. It's not difficult. They're just too lazy. They are not even confused that Microsoft supports its library