DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

Just now, HelixNebula_x said:

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on Chained Echoes, it's been on my wishlist for a while.

Well.... if you put any kind of stock in my opinions, I imagine I'll be helping to reduce the size of your Wishlist by 1....

• Haha 4

I saw that Immortality entered your top 20 and then saw that you are refusing to spoil it during your review, and so to avoid having any expectations when I get around to playing it I'm going to stay away from actually reading your review so I can go in completely fresh (I have a big problem with spoiling things I play/watch because I want to see what others think about it before I even finish it and I'm trying really hard to fix this problem of mine).

Also, now that you're caught up, I would like to request a analysis on Another World, a game that I myself have played long after it came out and as such was more disappointed in the length of the game than I probably would have been if I played it back when it came out (if that makes sense).

• Like 3

On 2/22/2024 at 11:55 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Immortality a heck of a game, and is, therefore, the first in a while to enter the Scientific Top 20...

Dang! Hot diggity. 

On 2/22/2024 at 11:55 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

These are real-life actors, playing live-action characters, and by looking directly at us in their more "unguarded" moments, the natural human feelings of connection and empathy kick in. It's easy, when watching a character, to feel detached and "once-removed" from them and their plight...
...but when the actor playing that character breaks character, and smiles, or looks sad, of forlorn, or upset, or scared - and does it directly to us, the fact that they are, themselves, a character, becomes largely immaterial - once we have bought into the fiction that we are, ourselves, the archivist, those "actor" characters are now "real people" - the people behind the characters, and feel on the same level as us.

This reminds me of Inscryption. I got so bought into the "game within the game" when my character played Lemmy's adventure, that when that game within the game was interrupted or when I would lose, then camera would tilt upwards and I'd move my character as if I was moving myself. Feels kind of like a brainhack or hypnosis, somehow. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

In terms of narrative, Remake does some interesting things with the original narrative, in that it somewhat splits the difference between "retelling", "reimagining" and "rewriting". 

The actual beats of the narrative are pretty much all as they were in the original game, and often remain largely unchanged in terms of pure content. However, the additional material added between and around them has the effect of somewhat recontextualising some of them. The game works partly as a remake, and partly as a sort of sequel in some ways, in the sense that while the events are playing out as if for the first time, the game does not simple pretend the original game does not exist.

A new meta-narrative framework is established - one in which the original game serves not as a prequel, but as pre-ordainment. 
The original game is referenced, not as past, but as portent - as the way things are "meant" to go. 

In a word: Fate.

Such a fascinating angle for a remake!

Now, there is two ways to read that statement, and I'm fully aware that "ubisoft-open-world-model" is not a phase that conjures positive feeling for everyone. 
Even for a majority, most likely. 
It tends to conjure ideas of "icon-barf" maps with far too many things to do, and cookie-cutter missions that feel like busywork rather than unique content.

🫣

The next one up, though, is Firewatch.

Firewatch is a tougher fight, because Firewatch is the first one were I think the voice work and performance is such a substantially additive element, and so good, that it begins to really buoy it against Kentucky Route Zero. Is the narrative more compelling... no, probably not. It's more linear, and has more of a payoff (though that payoff is more a rug pull than a catharsis,) but the game is certainly mysterious and compelling throughout

Sounds like a fair comparison point. I'll proceed with caution with KRZ and remember not to take it too literally. As this review falls into the category of 'games that look interesting but I haven't played... better see what the Doc thinks,' I'm glad you spoke about HOW to play it from an intellectual perspective in the review. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

In terms of narrative, Remake does some interesting things with the original narrative, in that it somewhat splits the difference between "retelling", "reimagining" and "rewriting". 

The actual beats of the narrative are pretty much all as they were in the original game, and often remain largely unchanged in terms of pure content. However, the additional material added between and around them has the effect of somewhat recontextualising some of them. The game works partly as a remake, and partly as a sort of sequel in some ways, in the sense that while the events are playing out as if for the first time, the game does not simple pretend the original game does not exist.

A new meta-narrative framework is established - one in which the original game serves not as a prequel, but as pre-ordainment. 

I don't know if this is a term that other people use, but I've been calling FFVIIRemake a "Remaquel" (a portmanteau of remake and sequel), which is when a game (or other kind of story) remake fully assumes the audience has played the game that the remake is based on.

My favourite example is Kingdom Hearts Union X which most people assume to be a remake of KH X (Not unfairly since the original game never left japan and there's now no way to play it.)

In that game the player progresses and eventually ends up in the Keyblade war and nearly dies, to save them they are placed in a simulation of the original X game: this what Union X is, but in this simulation the war never happens and the game just keeps going. You wouldn't know this depth of the story without knowledge of the prior game, hence my label of "Remaquel."

• Like 4

I noticed that a few games I played were low on the rankings, with Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom being #245. Then again, if I were to make a ranking system like yours, Nexomon would be #10 on the list and Dragon Quest Builders 2 would be #1. Then again, I don't play as many games as you do. :lol: Good reviews, and your attitude towards the mini-games in FF7 Rebirth make me wonder if I could stomach them enough to pay full price for a $70 download. <_<

I did play Chapter 1 of FFVII Remake on my other account and while I did take a lot of damage on easy mode, I wasn't very familiar with the combat. Still, the narrative was decent. (The voices I put in French as I wasn't sure I wanted to hear them in English. If I replay the game I will do it right.)

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 12:01 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

results.jpg

1f4c9.png1f913.png NEW SCIENTIFIC RESULTS ARE IN! 1f913.png1f4c8.png

Hello Science-Jakes and Science-Amys, as promised (and in some no cases requested), here are the latest results of our great scientific endeavour!

L00c99a.png

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Summary

The first part of a planned trilogy of games remaking Final Fantasy VII, the curiously pragmatically titled "Final Fantasy VII Remake", released in 2020, takes the early portion of the seminal original game - the portion taking place within the corporate-run city of Midgar -  and expands it enormously, retelling the tale with vastly improved graphical flair, a lavish and meticulous attention to detail, and a new, multi-dimensional spin on the narrative.

It's probably worth mentioning right at the start of this review - I am a big fan of the original game. 

I'm not 100% sure which Final Fantasy game I consider to be the actual best overall entry - I think on balance that mantle likely falls on Final Fantasy VI, representing, as it does, the final, most engrossing entry of the 16-bit era, and featuring both the best overall gameplay and battle system - however, I do consider FFVII to be very high on that list, nipping at its heels.

Regardless though, I would argue FFVII is, even if not the best of the original games, it is without a doubt the most fitting entry in the series to receive this kind of lavish, audacious remake. 

The reasons are simple.

Firstly, FFVII, while perhaps not the actual pinnacle of the series, nor having quite the most complex or sweeping narrative the series ever saw, it is still very strong in those regards, and  I do think that it has the most iconic elements contained within any single entry. The cast of characters in Cloud, Aireth, Barrett, Tifa, Red XIII et all are memorable and iconic in a way that no other entry in the series can offer, and their journey though the set of locations - from Midgar, to Junon, to the Costa Del Sol and the Golden Saucer, to Coral and Nibelheim, to the Temple of the Ancients, is memorable as an overall journey in a way most other entries cannot match.

Secondly, it is one of the most beloved - primarily due to the time, place, and console on which it released. Final Fantasy VII was the first entry in the already beloved and well regarded series to appear on Playstation after a 6-game run on Nintendo consoles, and for many people, represents both the reason they shifted to the brand new Sony console.

Thirdly though - and most importantly...
... it is the single entry in the franchise most held back by the technology upon which it released. 

Final Fantasy games are always quite ambitious - long, involved, narratively and mechanically dense, and epic on a scale that - certainly at the time - was only offered by JRPGs, and by specific entries within that genre. In all cases, the games were products of the technology upon which they released, and tailored to those, but Final Fantasy VII in particular feels demonstrative of the widest gulf between the ambition of the game, and the ability for the developers to realise it with the time and the technology available to them.
The game was very strong in terms of story, of characterisation, and of gameplay - but the effort required to release on the new technology meant that FFVII is perhaps the only entry to really, really show its drawbacks in some areas.

The original game is in many ways - and I say this with love...
... kind of a mess.

It looks, well... ugly. 
The characters are cheebie, low-poly blocks. The combination of still backgrounds and ultra-low-poly characters/ interactable objects looks ridiculous. The mere idea of "hiding" openable chests in the scenes, for example, was laughable, as one only had to glance at the ugly, bright-yellow cube in the middle of a nicely rendered still background to know where it was. 
What is actually some really cool design on still backgrounds for the environments is totally undercut by the laughably terrible looking over-world.

Even things like cut-scenes, while very impressive at the time, were all over the place in terms of simple art design - in the same game, there are cut-scenes that are motion-comic-style sweeps across still backgrounds with polygon cheebie characters, ones that are fully rendered scenes with "realistic characters", ones that have fully rendered interpretations of the polygonal cheebie models...
...hell, there's even one where there are "realistically" rendered models, but with the proportions of the cheebie-characters, lending characters like Barrett the look of a child's action-figure... and the awkward gait to match!

Now, that's not to say these elements ruined the game - they demonstrably didn't. 
In fact, it's a real testament to the narrative and compulsive gameplay of the game that they didn't. 
The narrative, iconography, design and emotional impact of the story shone, despite those issues, and turned the game into the smash hit it was, and gave it the lasting fan adoration it has enjoyed for 25 years.

That is precisely why FFVII is the most fitting entry for a remake.

If you take a game that was strong enough in other areas, that it managed to elevate to the level FFVII did, even despite the huge drawbacks in visual fidelity, poor English translation of dialogue and technological limitations, imagine where that game can go when all those barriers are removed.
It's basically the old adage about the running coach, seeing two different sprinters at try-outs. They both get the same final time, but one has great form, and the other, lousy form. Which one should he pick to mentor?
The answer is the one with lousy form... because teach him the right form, and he beats the other guy.

Final Fantasy VII is the sprinter with lousy form, who still got a respectable final time.

Having now played Remake, and the second game in the trilogy, Rebirth, I can confidently state that, if the third entry maintains the quality established, it is on track to beat the others. It has been taught the right form.

The actual portion of the original game covered in this entry of the Remade trilogy is certainly of note.
While the Midgar portion of the original Final Fantasy VII is important, and certainly contains some of the more iconic moments of that game, the fact remains - of a game that most first time players spend around 80-100 hours with, the early Midgar portion not only serves as primarily a tutorial area, prior to the gameplay opening up and the player getting access to the world map...
...but it also only takes around 3-4 hours.

It's a curious concept - certainly on paper - remaking the original game, and having the first third cover such a small section of the original run-time. I'll freely admit, it's one I was quite sceptical about upon first hearing it, however, it's a decision that feels far less strange upon actually playing the game to completion...
...and particularly with the hindsight of having played both currently available parts of the trilogy.

The fact is, in terms of natural "break points" in the original story, there are two - the leaving of Midgar (now the end of Remake), and the Temple of the Ancients, (now, the end of Rebirth.) Those are the point at which the game demonstrably changes, and the points at which the narrative provides its most clear act breaks - they just come at unusually paced times, when considering the length and duration of the gameplay as a whole.

What it does mean, of course, is that the Midgar section of the original game is expanded immensely from what it was originally, though curiously, the actual beats of that narrative remain largely the same. The progression from point to point, and the actual content is largely unchanged, but what is altered is simply additive - extra time is taken to flesh out characters - the main ones, and side characters like Wedge and Biggs and Jesse, who's parts were pretty minor in the original.
Even characters like Johnny, or Don Corneo and his bodyguards who, while present in the original, were little more than footnotes, are given significant screen time, and set up as characters who can (and will be) returning later in the story.

In fact, having played Rebirth, what becomes clear looking back at Remake, is that the vastly expanded Midgar section, and the significant increase in detail contained in it, is a huge benefit in terms of tying the narrative together across the entirety of the arc.

The fact is, while the events that take place in Midgar are extremely important to the overall plot of Final Fantasy VII, much of that connection is a little ignored or taken for granted in the original. Once the characters leave Midgar, there are relatively few points where the calamitous event of that section or the serious implications of it on the world and the characters are referenced back to with any specificity. They are mentioned, but largely in passing, and in a vague, generalised way.
In the remade trilogy, however, the events are given more weight, and the implications of them are more realised and made more immediate and centre-stage, which allows the entire story the be tied together a little more. I'll talk a little more about that when discussing Rebirth, but suffice to say, that wile there can be a feeling, in Remake, that the original game's plot points are being drawn out, and made to take so much longer by the addition of a lot of incidental world-building and character-building in between them, that is for good reason. It provides a much more grounded and solid base from which the rest of the narrative can be anchored, and elements of that expanded "opening" work to bind the post-Midgar game much more neatly and naturally to where the narrative started.

The original game is referenced, not as past, but as portent - as the way things are "meant" to go. 

In a word: Fate.

This allows the developers to write around all the elements of the original game that the players will be familiar with, but also deviate or add or mould those story beats, and to do so in a way that allows both the nostalgic feel of a remake, and the genuine intrigue of a new story. The familiar player can be confident that they will be seeing all the old elements they remember and loved, but they won't necessarily be presented in a way that feels like a simple re-tread. 

It also creates a situation where the characters themselves are essentially fighting three "big bads", rather than two. 
In addition to the heartless, megalomaniacal Shinra corporation, and the iconic spectre of evil that is Sephiroth - the nihilistic, vengeful, world-endangering emo-punk-neerdowell of the original game - they are also battling their own pre-destined fates - embodied and personified here as grim, cloaked spectres, trying to force the game to follow the exact path of the original.

In fact, in some ways, these "fates" are used as a slightly tongue-in-cheek way for the writers of the game to embody their true enemy: The Die-Hard Purists among the player-base.
It's not difficult to imagine the developers - the writers in particular - when trying to adapt the original games narrative to work on the much longer timeframe and new game style of the remade trilogy - feeling the grim, spectral force of the purist fan-base as a choir of howling, faceless wraiths, trying to force them to simply retread the old story without deviation...
...and to imagine them taking a little glee in having the characters within the game fight - and win - against that congealed mass of spectres, breaking out of the bonds of their old fates, and finding a new path!

That said though, something that I do think is of genuine interest - and which continues into the second entry in the trilogy - is that while Remake firmly establishes a narrative and structural framework, and a basis, for significant deviation from that original game's narrative, the developer doesn't actually go nearly as far as they might in that regard. 

Remake takes great pains to establish how and why they could change the narrative - giving themselves permission, if you will - but the developers are actually remarkably careful about doing so. 
Really what the remake trilogy does, isn't so much deviating, as simply recontextualising within the original parameters. Finding a way to acknowledge the majority of the player-base's pre-existing knowledge of the narrative as a meta-contextual framework underpinning the new tale, but still striving to maintain all the major - and most of the minor - narrative beats.

Essentially, the game presents a story you know, but does so in a way that maintains the vitality and liveliness of the characters, freeing them from being "flattened" by repetition... because they themselves are striving not to repeat their old mistakes - whether or not they are actually aware of it. 

It's a formula that works well - in this game for the most part, and particularly well going forward in Rebirth.
I, as a person very familiar with the original game, found myself constantly embraced and enraptured by my own nostalgic connection to that original game, and feeling the warm fuzzies upon seeing elements of that original design and narrative presented in high fidelity and with such graphical and technical flair...
...but I was also driven and propelled forwards by a story that, while featuring all the elements I hold dear, was different enough - and cognisant of its remake status enough - to still be surprising and colourful and interesting and engaging.

Characters retain all their important character traits - and moments - but they are made a little more vital, simply by being seen for much longer. Having a chance to flesh out, and in some cases provide more justification or context, for why they are how they are, or do what they do. 

Cloud, for example, is... well... a bit of dick. 
He was in the original, and he is here...
...however, there is significantly more attention paid to contextualising why he is a bit of dick - because the developers are both fleshing out, and bringing forward some context that, in the original game, only revealed much later on. 
Cloud is mentally unstable. 
He is the result of experiments, and those experiments changed his mind and his body. He has very little understanding for why he feels like he does - hell, he isn't even sure what happened to him, or where he has been for the last 5-7 years. He is inexorably linked to a corporation and a foe (Sephiroth) in a way he can't explain to himself, let alone to others. 
He acts like a bit of a dick, because he is trying to stay cool and composed, while covering the fact he has literally NO IDEA what is going on in his own head, or what he should be doing about it.

That kind of altering of the narrative is both necessary, and quite welcome in the remade trilogy - not only because it allows for more connection to the characters, but also because it is a trilogy. 
It's one thing to have a long game like the original FFVII only explain why a character behaves like they do after 40-50 hours of play - that's a big enough stretch for a player - but to have a trilogy of games release over the course of years, where a character's motivation was only explained 2 games and 5-6 years later would be simply ridiculous.

Also, there is, of course, the lack of actual mystery inherent to a remake. 
The fact is, whether the game explains these aspects earlier or not - whether they tell us Cloud is sick, or that he is linked to the mysterious black robed individuals around the city, or to Sephiroth, or to Zack Fair, or to Shinra in this early part of the story...
...we know anyways. 
We've known since 1997. 
The cat is out of the bag, so why not use that pre-exiting, impassable spoiler as a benefit, rather than a curse? Acknowledge that the player-base already knows the ending, and bring forward some of the late game "exposition", to do some more interesting things with it in the early game.

The tone of the game is curious - and a little uneven in Remake, truth be told, though it does find its feet eventually, and maintains that solid footing all the way through Rebirth.

The thing about remakes of older games from previous console generations, is that striking the right tone can be tough. 
The natural, most obvious course for developers to take - and one that can work, or not, depending on the property in question - is to maintain the general story, but to make it a bit more grounded, or a bit more gritty, or a bit more "real". 
The thing about games from pre-PS3 era, is that with relatively few exceptions, even relatively "serious" narratives were imbued with a certain level of lightness or silliness around the edges. Games were somewhat hampered by technology in terms of real grittiness, and games were less of a serious business in terms of narrative generally - while "serious" stories were told at times, there was an inherent ridiculousness to that seriousness, due to the lack of graphical fidelity and the more limited tool set.

With some games - the recent Resident Evil remakes, for example - simply making those graphics more realistic, adding more gore and horror trappings, and giving the stories a little more of a cinematic and grounded quality - within the fictional tone of course - works a charm.
However, Final Fantasy is a more difficult beast in that regard.

The fact is, Final Fantasy VII, while telling an epic narrative with a lot of more emotional or serious elements as the main beats, was quite silly and quite goofy a lot of the time. 
Deliberately so, and it worked very well. 
The battle against Shinra was treated as somewhat serious... but it always had a lot of silliness and goofiness in the tertiary characters, and around the edges. 
The epic struggle to defeat Sephiroth, and the major story beats that affected the characters were treated fairly straight...
...but there was still a character who was - to all intents and purposes - a vampire, and another who is a mechanical cat perched atop a stuffed toy. 

That makes the idea of updating Final Fantasy VII as more "serious" a difficult prospect. 
Firstly, the game, if trying for a "gritty" more "realistic" approach, would have to excise a lot of stuff from the original game - much of which comprises iconic elements the players remember fondly.

Secondly - and arguably more importantly - Final Fantasy as a franchise has never been one where going more "dour" or more "serious" has been a benefit. 
Generally, the goofier the tone manages to be around the edges of the central narrative, the better the game ended up being. Most of the best entries in the franchise - FFVII, FFIX, FFIV, FFXII - all struck a similar balance of "world-ending-calamity" in the primary narrative, encased in a world of abject silliness and goofy wonder.
Even what is generally considered the best Final Fantasy game (by myself, along with many others) - Final Fantasy VI - while certainly containing maybe the most dour and bittersweet primary narrative in the whole franchise, was filled to the brim with silliness around the edges. The world might literally suffer an apocalypse halfway through...
...but there is still a remarkable amount of time spent singing operas for octopi, suplexing moving trains and listening to Gau say dumb things with a smile.

In fact, every time a Final Fantasy game dove too far away from that silliness, and tried to "get real", it was to the game's detriment. 
FFVIII is a good entry, but the tone is remarkably humourless and sour, and it takes away from the narrative, rather than adding to it. 
When FFXIII worked, it was because it went sillier, not more serious. In fact, when the series tries a genuinely "gritty" tale in FFXV, it failed spectacularly - not because it managed to completely excise the goofiness, but because it tried to treat it's goofiness as seriousness, and it simply didn't work.

That leaves the remakes in a curious spot though - they can't necessarily make the tone more "serious"... but the amount of goofiness and the tone of the original simply wouldn't sustain a game with much more realistic graphics and a much longer length.

There can be quite a few moments of tonal dissonance that spring up, but don't feel terribly well paced or plotted initially...
....but they finally congeal in Wall Market, where the developers and writers were finally forced to make a serious decision, due to a particular clanger from the original game - Don Corneo.

The Corneo section in the original is meant as goofy fun - where Cloud and Aireth need to infiltrate the mansion of a self-proclaimed lothario, and do so by dressing cloud in drag, and having him pose as a woman, with the help of, among other things, a trans body-builder, and "massage parlour".

It's a section that is well remembered and silly fun... but that was 1997.

It's not exactly the easiest section to make palatable to a 2020 audience, and is predicated on such potential minefields as sex-slavery, rape, molestation, threats of genital mutilation, homophobia, transphobia...
...y'know... all the fun things you want in your AAA, colourful, fun RPG!

It's a section I suspect would have been genuinely considered for simple excising from the game. It would have been easy, actually, given that writing it out of the narrative would actually have been relatively simple, and leave most of the rest of the game unaffected...
...however the developer didn't do the easy thing. 
They did the hard thing: 
They made it work...

...and it paid off enormously, because the solution they found not only made that section a highlight of the game, but established the exact tone the game needed going forward, that could contain all of the oddness and silliness of the original game, without it destroying the serious elements.

Flamboyance.

The game goes - for want of a better term - full vajazzle.

FFVII Remake becomes - tonally - outrageous and over-the-top and flamboyant in a way very few games are - and that tone remains pretty much consistent from that point.

They serve up a serious, often dire, and occasionally emotional journey, and treat it with seriousness to a point...
...but they do it while maintaining all the ridiculousness of the originals, and make it palatable in a way it really shouldn't be, by serving it up on a golden, bejewel plate of Ru Paul-level, pink-flamingo outlandishness.
It is a "serious" narrative...
... but it is presented dipped in glitter, covered in sprinkles, spray-painted pink, disco-lit and served atop a chocolate dildo.

That tone remains relatively consistent from Wall Market onwards - and is where Rebirth lives in its entirety. 

Visually the game is something quite special, in the sense that it is very high fidelity and well made, making use of a really great graphical engine, but is applying that graphical flair to a design ethos already established somewhat, by the original game. As said, the visual fidelity of the original game was pretty ropey in many, many ways...
...but the actual design of the world - and particularly of Midgar, was so good, as to transcend those visual drawbacks.

Here, without those drawbacks, Midgar looks pretty astounding.

The slums below, and the "new" city, built on "That F@£king Pizza" - the series of 8 giant, metal plates jutting out from a central column of impossible size and scale, each powered by it's own life-draining Mako reactor - look fantastic, and the art design tends to follow a similar approach to "remaking" as the narrative:
ie., don't change, but add, broaden, widen, and recontextualise.

Basically, pretty much every iconic element of the original game's environmental design is retained, broadened, and brought to life in a way that is impressive both has a standalone piece of design, and - even more so - in how well 2D, single-screen static backgrounds have been brought to life in full 3D. 
Every location - from the 7th Heaven bar, to Aireth's oddly idyllic flower-encircled home in the slums, to the church, to the reactors, to the Shinra headquarters, to even small details like the play park equipment or the signage on Wall Market stores are retained and given a new coat of paint, but the whole city is made to feel massive by comparison, via draw distance, fidelity and artistic grandeur. 
There is a combination of attention to the smallest details, with a sense of scale that is impressive - and a treat for people like myself who recall the original game, and who could only imagine, in 1997, what lay beyond the edges of the still screens.

Character design is something else too. The characters of Final Fantasy VII are archetypal, and - certainly in the original - larger than life and extremely cartoonish. They do not immediately lend themselves to representation in a more "realistic" world, and with realistic proportions, but the developers do a good job of making the characters more human-esque... while still keeping them as large and broad and caricature as they need to be to embody their larger than life personas.

The world of FFVII isn't realistic, of course - this is a cartoonish, manga-inspired, super-hero world of over-the-top nonsense, but while nothing is exactly "realistic" it is made to feel "real" within the context of the world it inhabits. 
Barrett might still look like a Sherman Tank - his hands might be the size of the other character's heads - but he doesn't quite feel out of place in this strange land of floating fish, steam-punk slums, Talking dogs and inexplicably pointy hair, because everything is odd, and odd on the same level.

One can point to fifty ridiculous things in any single scene, but it almost doesn't matter, because the world is rendered and realised such that it allows emotional engagement and tension and stakes within its own strange tone and setting. 
It doesn't feel "true"....
...but it feels "right" for that world.

The combat system is excellent - almost certainly the best the series has seen since divesting itself of the fully turn-based ATB system of the first 10 mainline entries. 
While there have been good versions of modern Final Fantasy battle systems (say what you want about FFXIII, and I said plenty, but it's combat system was very, very good,) the series has struggled a little with modernising battles, because the turn-based systems were such an integral part of what made the series work originally.

It's ironic, in a way, because while trying to modernise, and shift away from turn-based combat has been difficult for new entries, primarily because the series never seems able to completely shed the remnants of that old turn-based system...
... in FFVII Remake, they actually manage to strike upon the best version of a modern system, by deliberately not getting fully away from it. 

Because this game is a remake, and requires some direct parallel to the original game - including specific limit breaks, special moves, materia system etc - the devs are forced not to run from the old system, but to address it head-on. To find a "split-the-difference" style of combat, that serves both a modern audience looking for more action-heavy, real-time combat, and the sizeable old-guard, playing for nostalgic kicks, and looking to recall the original game.

The result is a system where combat is primarily action-focused, but uses built-up meters to unleash special moves that serve as analogous to the old turn-based actions, and because enemies are designed around original enemies in the original game, who's weaknesses and strengths were designed for a turn-based system, the devs introduce several new mechanics - namely "pressure" (a meter built up on each enemy, which is affected by specific elemental or situational weaknesses), and "stagger" which results when an enemy is "pressured" enough, and opens them up to vastly increased damage.

This system is key to the successful splicing of old and new concepts, as it allows battles to have the kinetic, frenetic and fast-paced action the original game never did, with the requisite benefits of skill-based real-time dodging and battle placement - but still forces a significant strategic element on top, where fans of the old game can find the nostalgic leanings they crave.

A boss can be fought, and survived against to some extent by simply being skilled at dodging and could be whittled-down using standard attacks or special moves at opportune times...
...but even the most skilful character-action player will likely not be able to fully defeat them without also exploiting specific weaknesses using specific magic attacks, or items, and by managing both their full party, and their materia set-up to work in synergistic harmony, the way the old ATB model required.

The result is pretty much exactly what one would want. A system where fights - and bosses in particular - can feel insanely difficult and overpowered at first...
...but analysing them, identifying weaknesses, and finding a specific combination of skills, materia and tactics can often bring them to heel remarkably quickly... providing the player is also on the ball in terms of real-time combat. 
The "micro" of a battle is in the action-side, but the "macro" - the things that will eventually defeat the enemy - are tactical and strategic, and driven primarily by good preparation and materia set-up rather than by skilful or "twitch" in-battle play. 

Audio is great - the voice work on the characters works much like the visual and narrative tone does, in that it takes the over-the-top and the silly, doesn't shy away from it, but manages to be serious enough to cast the spell of emotional connection strongly enough that it doesn't break under the levity.

The musical score is very good - the original score of the original game is extremely well remembered and iconic, and that score is remastered, re-worked and updated in a way that always retains the nostalgia, but still sounds modern and vibrant. 

There is one aspect that I think should be addressed with a remake like this one, and that is "would this game work for people completely unfamiliar with the original game?"

My feeling is "probably not."

For sure, the game would work from a purely mechanical stand-point - the gameplay is largely different from the original anyways, and gameplay elements imported from the original game like the materia system could easily be picked up, either intuitively, or via the robust (and well implemented) tutorial options...
...however, I do think that, narratively, it would be hard to find a single remake out there less friendly to newcomers. 

The fact is, by acting as both pseudo-sequel, and remake, and by using the player's familiarity with the original game as part of the meta-narrative, the game is essentially requiring at least some familiarity with the narrative elements of the original.

A new player could certainly see Midgar for the first time in Remake, and simply think "what an odd, weird design of a city", but when it comes to narrative beats, I suspect they would be entirely lost at sea when Aireth begins making hints that she has foreseen her eventual fate (or one possible fate,) and would be even more confused about who Sephiroth is when he keeps showing up...
...particularly since Sephiroth is not only not explained, really, in this game, but he wasn't even present in this portion of the original game, and was only given a backstory post-Midgar.

On the one hand, that could be seen as a major flaw in the game, in terms of being a straight "remake" - a modernisation of an existing game for modern audiences. On the other hand though, of all the games in existence, FFVII is one of the most well known and beloved. It has legions of fans, and it's plot is so widely known, that it's arguable that in order to avoid that issue, the game would actually do a disservice to the much larger group of people who do know the original story.

Overall, FFVII Remake is quite a triumph - it was so in 2020, and feels even more so from the 2024 stand-point, seeing it as the first game in trilogy, and knowing how it informs and leads into Rebirth.

It is a game that manages to successfully walk the tightrope of being both a nostalgic retread of a game, and feel as fresh and lively as a new game, and one that pays true service to it's origins, without being so slavishly devoted to the old tone and style that it feels dated or hold itself back.

The gameplay feels on par with modern games, and the combat system is easily the best the franchise has seen in years. 
The narrative, while covering only a small fraction of the original story, never feels particularly stilted or staid or slow, and looking back now, it's clear the areas in which Remake vastly expanded on the run-time are allowing the developer to pay back in dividends via references and no-backs in future instalments.

It's a game that really shouldn't work as well as it does - it is reliant entirely on players remembering a previous game, it has cartoonishly, outrageous moments and characters right alongside serious ones, and ask that the player accept both ridiculous, silly things, and extreme, dire stakes hand-in-hand...
..but pulls it off in a way that somehow just works.

It plays beautifully, has depth and challenge and charm to boot, and establishes a framework - and eventually a tone - that could serve Square for years to come, with countless games, be they remakes of other FF games, or new entires.

The Ranking:

There's going to be a significant problem with ranking FFVII Remake, and its sequel, and that is the relationship to the already ranked FFVII original game.

The issues being around two significant questions:
1. How much does the weight of the eventual full trilogy matter?
2. How much does the fact that the games owe their existence to the original game matter?

To answer the first question...
...the thing is - I'll say it right now - if the final entry in the trilogy maintains the standard of the first two games, I am confident in stating, that trilogy as a full game will outrank its progenitor.

In fact, I am now of the opinion, having played Remake and Rebirth back to back, that the combination of the two game already outranks the original game...
...however, the complicating factor is that each individual section is only a part of a whole.
Each feels like a "full" game, but narratively, not a "complete" one. 
These games are not sequels in the traditional sense, they are parts of one grand, long game, split into three.

On the second question...
...that's more sticky. 
The fact is, in most cases where a remake exists I would consider them separate... but FFVII Remake is unique, in that it is narratively predicated on the player having to have played the original. It is sequel, and remake. It isn't simply remaking things from the original, it is remaking them while requiring the player to be familiar with them in their original form, in order to make sense of the narrative.

In the end, I feel like I have to simple acknowledge that the original FFVII is the baseline, and consider how much I enjoyed the individual section of the game covered in each part of the remade games, and consider whether I feel I had more fun playing it, than the entirety of the original game...
...and when the final part does finally release, there may need to be some kind of reckoning.
Perhaps the individual placements will be removed, and a single, all encompassing ranking made.

(Truth be told, I've considered removing Hitman 2016 and Hitman 2 from the rankings already, for a similar reason - in that all their positive elements are actually already included in the Hitman" World of Assassination ranking...
...but it's less of an issue there, for the simple reason that Hitman: WOA is at the very top, and not causing any issues to me, due to it's astounding awesomeness!)

So, in the specific case of Remake, I do have to concede that while I think the changes made for modernising and remaking the early part of FFVII are - in basically every possible area - the best possible versions one could have hoped for, and the game is absolutely fantastic in virtually all regards...
...I do think the sheer length, already existing awesomeness of the original game, and the inherent "completeness" of the original, as opposed to the "first of many" aspects of Remake, do mean that the original still outmatches it in totality.

Yes, Remake plays better - quite a bit better - and yes, Remake looks and sounds and feels better - a lot better...
...but a lot of the great elements are inherited and built on an already solid foundation, and wouldn't exist without the original, and the original is so massive and sprawling, whereas Remake is quite contained and linear in this outing.

That places it below FFVII... but that's still pretty dang high. Theres a lot of belters in that end of the list!

At the top end of the list, the games are diverse - related only in their sheer awesomeness - but what I looked for was other RPGs or Action games, with great narratives, and - preferably - that are parts of trilogies or larger franchises, but not necessarily the best or most complete narrative part of that trilogy or franchise.

Can you see where I stopped?
Yup - Mass Effect 3.

Mass Effect 3 is a good comparison, I think, because it is part of an ongoing narrative - not the pinnacle of that trilogy, but still a sterling game, and an integral part of it.

Mass Effect 3 is a great game - its much maligned ending and the subsequent and odious "fan" reaction notwithstanding...
...but I do think FFVII Remake has it beat. It is too well made, too fun, and too good for Mass Effect 3 to beat it - it wins on visuals, gameplay... even audio - and Mass Effect 3's audio is no slouch. The narratives are not similar, but they are similarly high quality within their respective genres, and the fundamental fact is, I had more fun with Remake than with ME3.

That pushed FFVII Remake above it - but the two games above ME3 are Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and Alan Wake II.

Now, Sekiro is a hell of a game - a cool reformatting of the souls-like formula to a slightly different flavour, and it work very well...
...but I do think in totality, FFVII Remake wins. It has the narrative edge, it has the visual edge by a long way... and there is simply more iconic and memorable and endearing character and story elements to boot. It also has music that stomps all over Sekiro's.

I do however, have trouble seeing FFVII Remake beating Alan Wake II.

Alan Wake II is not just a great game - it's a game doing weird, interesting things in a way FFVII Remake isn't. While Remake still retains the edge on music and on raw gameplay, I think Alan Wake II does actually take the lead by a fair margin on visuals, as they are not just as good in terms of graphical flair, but they are significantly more original and interesting, in the blending of FMV and CGI, motion capture, and stylistic flourishes...
...and when it comes to narrative and tone, both are great, but Alan Wake II is more audacious and surprising and bizarre. Alan Wake II is taking risks in a way few games on that scale ever attempt... and not just having them pay off, but having them hit the fucking jackpot.

That has to be recognised... and when combined with the excellent narrative and great characters, I do think it manages to hold out against FFVII Remake's onslaught - even with Remake winning on music and gameplay.

That places FFVII Remake just above Sekiro, and just below Alan Wake II...
...a well deserved, very envious position!

L96011d.png

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

Summary: 

The 2024 follow up to Final Fantasy VII Remake - Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, picks up where Remake left off in tone, in visual style, in combat system and in meta-contextual flow, and begins the not inconsiderable task of telling a much more extended segment of the original Final Fantasy VII's narrative - essentially the bulk of the remainder of what constituted "disc 1"...
...getting into what is a much more open, much looser, much more fantastical, and altogether more colourful, eccentric and iconic area of the game to which it owes its existence.

The actual narrative differences between the original Final Fantasy VII and the part-remake-part-sequel nature of the remade trilogy remain something I won't get bogged down on discussing in detail - but suffice to say, Rebirth follows Remake, in the sense that while actual beats of the narrative, and the broad content remains largely the same, and are simply fleshed out; the biggest area of change is less in content, but in context. 

The actual path the characters take, their motivations for doing so, and the people, environments, locations, enemies and obstacles they encounter on the "main path" are all largely lifted from the original game and simply made to work with the new combat system, graphical style and fidelity, however, what Rebirth does with this section of the game is primarily to tie it much more tangibly and tightly to both the events of Remake, and to the meta-narrative the developers are using to weaponise the player-base's pre-existing knowledge of the source material as a benefit, rather than a curse.

Curiously, while Remake took explicit pains to establish in-narrative ways in which the game might significantly deviate from the original story, post-Midgar - including a particularly pointed and explicit section at the end, in which the characters actively "defeat" their pre-determined "fates" - Rebirth actually doesn't deviate from the original path any more than Remake did.
In fact, setting aside optional side content, and some additions, there is very, very little that is markedly changed.

There is certainly far more content - narrative, gameplay, tertiary story, world building, characterisation - that is added and embellished, however, this is generally done around the edges of a well trodden story, and affects it only be altering the tone and context, rather than the beats. 

As an example, characters like Biggs, Jesse, Johnny, Don Corneo - ones who were, in the original, simple side characters in the Midgar area, largely forgotten once the narrative moved on, here, the main narrative retains it's rough original form, but because those characters had been fleshed out far more in Remake, there is more scope to refer back to them, or to bring them into the content around Rebirth.

The events of Remake too - aspects such as the fall of the Midgar city plate, or the public reaction to Avalanche and their actions, are referenced far more in Rebirth than they ever were in that section of the original game, tying the games together in a more flowing, coherent way.

Character motivations and characterisation is stronger, I would argue, in Rebirth also, than it ever was in the original game, and as a result, the characters are actually considerably more relatable and their motivations comprehensible than they once were. 

Many of these changes are subtle, but as an example, take Cloud's behaviour. 

Cloud does a lot of dumb things, and takes a lot of very curious and questionable actions in the game. He did in the original too. He is mentally unstable. We know that. We knew it in the original too... but not necessarily at this point in the game. 
eventually we come to understand what was happening to him, but at this point, we didn't. 
However, at no point in the original do the other characters appear to acknowledge his odd behaviour... either to him, or to each other. 
Cloud appears to act either like a mad-man, or a bit of a dick, and the other characters stick with him, because... well... he's the main character!

Here though, not only do the other characters appear to actually see that Cloud is mentally unstable - they address it, both to him, and more often, to one another. 

Now - does that actually change the outcome or path of events? 
Largely no. 
The main narrative remains on roughly the same path it always took, and the actions have basically the same result. However, what it does do, is change the tone of that narrative, and the player's relationship to the characters. 
We feel more for Cloud himself, and for the characters around him, because he seems less like just a douche-bag, and they feel less like idiots. They know there is something wrong, and they want to help him - but also, they still need him, because, well, he's a bad-ass with a bad-ass sword, and their best hope for saving the planet.

The meta-narrative, multi-universe elements established in Remake begin to pay off here too, in the sense that while the main narrative is going on, a secondary, rather mysterious parallel reality is also playing out in the form of occasional cut-scenes and short gameplay sections - of another reality... one in which Zack Fair returns to Midgar, and where the end of Remake went calamitously badly for our main heroes. 
These sections are generally positioned while our characters sleep, lending them the guise of "dream sequences", however, the fact that Sephiroth is, in this game, seeking not simply to rule/destroy the world, but to rule/destroy all possible worlds in all possible realities, means the player cannot simply dismiss these sections as flights of fancy, and they lend the whole game a strange mystery side-story, which is (somewhat) paid off in the finale, though feels poised to matter a great deal come the third and final entry in the remade trilogy.

Where Rebirth really deviates is in how free and open the game feels.

While Remake did have some sections where the player was free to explore and to complete side-quests or side-content, these were relatively contained - as they were in that section of the original game, within Midgar. The fact is, while the original FFVII game was largely an open-world game, it wasn't until after leaving Midgar. Prior to that point, it was relatively linear, and so Remake followed suit. 

Upon leaving Midgar, however, the player was free to explore much more. The narrative path was linear - gated by things like continental constraints and traversal methods, however, the player could explore large areas within reason, and so Rebirth does the same.

The game is still - as Remake was - divided into discrete chapters, following the main narrative path and dissecting it at key point and by key bosses, but pretty much each time where - in the original game - the player was free to explore a large land mass, Rebirth achieves the same, by having several very large land masses that have a sort of "mini-ubisoft-model" open-world exploration element. 

Now, there is two ways to read that statement, and I'm fully aware that "ubisoft-open-world-model" is not a phase that conjures positive feeling for everyone. 
Even for a majority, most likely. 
It tends to conjure ideas of "icon-barf" maps with far too many things to do, and cookie-cutter missions that feel like busywork rather than unique content. Luckily, while there can - on occasion - be some elements of these areas that do feel a tad repetitive, for the most part, these open-world areas retain only the good aspects of the "Ubisoft-Formula." Namely, the encouragement to explore, the activate-towers-to-unveal-missions, and the easily tracked, distinct sets of side activities. 
What they don't import, is the endlessness of repetition, the inflexibility of mission structure and the overabundance of similar gameplay.

Each of these areas has around 20-30 activities to be done, and while there is a generalised pattern to them, each area has enough distinct elements to feel different, and offer new gameplay. All areas have towers - in this fiction, pre-Shinra communications towers, being activated for Chadley, the curiously Nier: Automata-esque robot/AI character in a schoolboy uniform who aids Cloud in his quest, in return for help cataloguing the world and researching "combat data" - and all areas share some of the more minor tasks such as finding crystallised materia...
...however, each also has its own set of unique missions for unique characters, its own distinct mini-game tied to a particular "area quest" and specific traversal elements linked to the area's local chocobo breed (or vehicle availability,) etc. 

In addition, each area has its own set of enemies, and these have specific, tailored combat trials, the completion of which leads to unlocking a specific, unique "sub-boss" for that area.

The result is that while the path to "completing" an area is roundly the same each time, following a checklist model, there is enough distinction for each area to feel unique in terms of more than just landscape. Running around Cosmo Canyon, using a chocobo that can hover and fly from canyon to canyon, playing the odd, programming-logic-based tower defence games, fighting sand snakes and trying to get a local chocobo farm hand to get over her fears, feels distinctly different to driving around the area beneath the Gold Saucer in a dune-buggy, fighting cactuar in a strange, oddly compulsive speed-trial mini-game, fighting birds, setting traps, trying to lure out a Tonberry King to steal his crown, and hitting the Costa del Sol for some Queen's Blood or a pirate-themed shooting gallery. 

Speaking of which, the other way Rebirth really distinguishes itself from Remake goes hand-in-hand with that more free and open design: mini-games. 
There are a lot of different mini-games. 

Final Fantasy games have always had their fair share of mini-games, of course - and Final Fantasy VII was one of the more abundant in that regard.  Particularly within the section of the original game that Rebirth covers, there was tower defence in Fort Condor, Chocobo breeding and racing, Battle Arenas, G-Bike racing, Basketball, Mog House, 3D Brawler, Shooting Coaster... the original was not hurting for mini-game distractions...
... but in Rebirth, the list is not only (mostly) imported to the remade version, but the mini-game abundance is increased fourfold!

In addition to the Gold Saucer, which sees the better original mini-games brought into the new version (excising the less interesting Basketball hoop, and the - let's call it what it was... shite... Mog House,) and adding things like a curiously competent and fun space shooter into the mix, the game also adds - without exaggeration - around 30 or so additional new mini-games into the mix.

Mini-games can be something of a double-edged sword in games. 
In some cases, having a few mini-games that are fun to play adds a good side-activity, but in many cases, mini-games can feel like a burden if the main game is good enough to support itself without them, or if it feels like there are too many of them.
FFVII Rebirth feels like something of an anomaly, however, because despite the main game being very good, and easily able to sustain the huge length of the narrative without distraction or boredom, and despite the huge number of different mini-games available, they never feel particularly burdensome - or even like a major distraction...
...and the reasons are threefold.

Firstly, while there are a huge and varied number of different side activities and mini-games, each of them feels, pretty much without exception, well made and fun. The ones engaged with the most - Fort Condor (the tower-defence mini-game first displayed in the Yuffie-themed DLC of Remake,) Cactuar Speed Challenges, Chocobo racing, Piano-Playing, Shooting Galleries, Queen's Blood, etc - are all crafted to a degree high enough to more than sustain interest and fun for their duration. They are designed well enough to ensure the player is challenged, but not flummoxed. 

Secondly, the devs seem to have a good understanding of exactly how much of any particular mini-game is feasible and it can sustain, and pepper them in accordingly. 
Something like Queen's Blood - a card-battling game revolving around deck building and synergistic card collecting and play - is extremely robust and an absolute blast to play, to the extent where it could almost sustain a game in its own right (and I maintain, should, in fact be released as a stand-alone spin-off on mobile, with a versus mode!) - is given a lot of game-time... and it own entire, Inscryption-inspired quest-line. 
Throughout the game, Cloud and his cadre are collecting and buying cards, and while early on, QB seems a simple distraction - a world-building element, establishing a popular game within the fiction, that they can play against the many players around the world, in the spirit of Triple Triad from FFVIII or Tetra Master from FFIX - a secondary, sinister, almost 4th-wall-breaking quest-line is slowly introduced via the game. Not only does the player ENJOY the QB matches, but they have legitimate, tangible reason to engage with it - winning games throughout the world not only has material rewards, but there is a quite intriguing and curious narrative payoff building also. 

Not every mini-game is on that level, of course - most don't have a whole narrative quest-line around them, but they do almost all feed into at least one or two different side quests, and to a one, they have material benefits to winning. 
Collecting the better materia in the game requires mastering many of these little mini-games, and that works, simply because they are mostly very fun to play.

Thirdly, the sheer volume of them is matched by their variety and quality.
Mini-games game feel like over-egging at times when there are so many, but Rebirth seems almost to side-step that issue, not by holding back, but by going so hard, that they push through the "too many" boundary, and come out the other side! 

The fact is, too many mini-games distracting from the core gameplay can feel exhausting, but here, there is SUCH a variety, and SO many, that the abundance of mini-games actually BECOMES part of the core game. It's hard to argue that mini-games are a distraction, because there are so many that Rebirth doesn't feel like a combat RPG with mini-games, but rather, half-and-half a combat RPG, and a party game.

I don't actually think I've encountered a game with quite this split of gameplay. 
I am reliably informed by my squad of Science Chums that the closest analogue is the Yakuza series, which splits its "serious" narrative, with absurd mini-games and side content in much the same way, though I have yet to sample that series myself...
...but it makes for a really odd situation, where while playing, I was constantly thinking "this should be a detriment... but it doesn't feel like it is."

The fact is, while I would almost assuredly caution a game developer against putting such an absurd amount of non-core gameplay into their game, I was consistently excited when a new mini-game popped up in Rebirth - and eager to engage with it - and that speaks both to the strength of those mini-games themselves, and to the engaging nature of the main narrative: no matter how much time I spent hopping over obstacles as a frog beneath Junon, or fighting foes in the Battle Arena, or playing a complicated Rock-Paper-Scissors in the Gold Saucer 3D Brawler, or riding a bike, or shooting spacecraft, or doing sit-ups in a jungle gym, or playing cards, or racing birds, or breaking boxes, or picking mushrooms, or slicing cactuar...
...I never got wholly detached from the main story, nor felt my time was being wasted on busywork. It was ALL enjoyable and fun, and the patchwork of different gameplay only seemed to feed into and work for the tone and world-building.

That speaks, of course, to the tone of the game - something I spoke about quite a bit in the Remake write-up, and it's of great import here too.

There is a tonal consistency to Rebirth that Remake lacked - because once Remake had laid the groundwork in its first half, then established its tone with the second, the developer stuck to it. In fact, they doubled down - and that works, because the actual section of the original FFVII game that Rebirth covers is the most eccentric and varied section of the original game. 

While the Midgar early sections of the original game do have some bizarre or eccentric elements - Wall Market, Don Corneo, some of the Shinra executives etc - as compared to the later game, that section is positively benign. Rebirth covers a huge swathe of the world of Final Fantasy VII, arguably all of the most memorable - and weird - elements. There is Cait Sith, the magical/mechanical cat riding a stuffed toy, the golden Saucer and in all its bizzaro glory, Dio - the purveyor of said bizzaro glory, who looks like a circus strongman in undies and a cape - chocobos, moogles, the Costa del Sol, mini-games galore, the list goes on and on...
...and one might have expected, given the feel of Remake, that the developers might excise some of the more incidental or odd elements to streamline the narrative, but in fact, they not only lean into those elements - they add significantly to them.

Rebirth has no issues with its tone - because the game knows what it is - goofy, fabulous, over-thee-top spectacle, and fun all round. 
The game is as bright and colourful and silly and over-the-top as a glitter-ball drag show. 
It is a circus of colour and theatrics and musicality and wackiness, with a "serious" story running through it. That dissonance works, and is what allows the "everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" approach to the gameplay to work as well as it does.

The world is so heightened and odd, and the characters so archetypal and strong, that the game can swing from a deadly serious fight for survival against a genuine threat, to a mechanical cat atop a stuffed toy yelling in a Scottish accent, or a talking dog playing what is essentially single-player Rocket League to win a prize on a date, without anything feeling particularly out of place...
...because everything is fair game, when your tone is "Fabulous."

The game's tone is a cavalcade cornucopia of bright lights and sparkles - it is a drag show musical, telling its serious story with a wink and a nod, while dancing the can-can. 
You can't over-stuff or over-egg something which is tonally predicated on being over-the-top and overstuffed - so abundance becomes the norm, and silliness becomes indistinguishable from seriousness.
It's all silly... and it's all serious. 
It's a fandango.

In terms of combat and core gameplay, there are certainly differences as compared to Remake - the slightly cumbersome "Weapon Upgrade" system is replaced by a rather less fiddly "character level" sphere-grid style upgrade path, and some adjustments in the way materia work have been made to limit the player's ability to become too overpowered. (Where in Remake, maxing out the level of a materia resulted in a new materia of the same type spawning, in Rebirth, that mechanic is excised, to limit access to the best possible materia.)  
However, it's rather remarkable how much of the excellent battle system is brought over whole-cloth. 
That shouldn't be read as a slight either - it's a testament to how good the combat and materia system worked in Remake, that it can be applied to Rebirth virtually unchanged, include the play-styles of the new characters alongside the pre-existing ones, be applied to much wider, broader set of enemies and bosses, and still remain not only serviceable, but a genuine highlight of the game.

The exploratory elements and the general gameplay is crisp and well done - there is more in the way of flexibility in traversing the world, as in Rebirth, characters feel more nimble and able to hop up and down ledges and climb areas that would have been "false walls" in Remake. The exploratory elements of Rebirth don't feel hugely dissimilar, there's simple a lot more of them - both in terms of some of the bigger set piece environments, and, of course, in the large open world areas.

Visuals remain at the high standard set by Remake, and stylistically the games are cut from the same cloth, though the fact that Rebirth covers a far wider swathe of locations obviously opens that style up to much more variety. 

There is certainly a minor increase in fidelity and scope - things like draw distance and fine detail are improved, most likely due to the lack of a last-gen version to put a damper on the game - however, these improvements are relatively inconsequential in the micro, as Remake was already an excellent looking game. 
The real marker of progress is simply how much bigger a scale these excellent visuals are applied to. While the Midgar of Remake had distinct locations, there is still an inherent similarity to most of it - it was all one city (or, two cities if one considers "old" and "new" Midgar,) whereas Rebirth is covering multiple distinct locations and biomes.

The art design follows the same rules Remake followed - retain, but expand and embellish - so locations still have all the most iconic and distinctive elements recalled from the still backgrounds of the original game, but are simply detailed and expanded upon to a degree that is impressive. From the quiet of Kalm, to the militaristic port town of Junon, to the beach resort town of Costa del Sol, to the garish and ostentatious Golden Saucer and the dusty, downtrodden former mining town of Coral, to the Tudor quaintness of the mountain town of Nibelheim, the player familiar with the original game can easily identify all the existing elements they recall - of both design and, to some extent, layout - but the realisation and attention to detail is still impressive for a 2024 game. 

It's done to a degree that is genuinely impressive too. 
There is no real reason why, for example, the Costa del Sol would need to have an archway bridge crossing from the port to the resort - some redesign would be perfectly acceptable, but the fact that the developers ensure it IS there for people to remember, while also making the town seem like something that would be designed from scratch in a modern game, is emblematic of the process of design used in these remakes. 
It's a redesign to accommodate the new, but with an attention to small details of the original, and to making them work as more than simple throwbacks, that impresses over and over.

Audio remains of the high standard set in the previous entry too - and again, sticks to the "retain but embellish philosophy. Final Fantasy VII's soundtrack is iconic and sacrosanct - it's one of the earliest game soundtracks I can recall to be beloved to the extent of seeing sales of soundtracks on more than a minuscule scale, and a lot of the locations or character-specific themes are etched in the memories of the player-base for all time. The developers wisely stick to using these themes, and rather than wholly rewriting anything, simply create new arrangements of them, and they still work to the same degree they did originally.

Overall, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is something very special - and manages to follow up the excellent Final Fantasy VII Remake to such a sterling degree, that it outshines its predecessor in virtually every way.

Virtually every part of Remake was impressive, but also set up considerable questions with regards to the continuation of the series - Remake established such a rich, well executed, fleshed out version of the early portion of the Final Fantasy VII, that it was a perfectly legitimate concern to wonder just how the developer might be able to maintain such a level of quality when applying that design ethos to a much larger, much looser and much more expansive chunk of the old narrative.

Those questions are put to rest with Rebirth, which not only maintains the level of quality, but doubles down on it, adding in countless new elements to an already rich and high quality experience, and does it while maintaining all that was good about Remake. 
It is a massive game, with scope and scale and variety and spectacle on a level that is really astounding considering the size of it, and does so without ever cutting corners on quality, user experience, fun or engagement.

I was concerned about the idea of Remake originally - I had assumed the developer might meddle to much, or need to excise too much of the original game to maintain my nostalgia, or would conversely get bogged down trying to do everything, and end up hampering their modernisation. 

That was proven wrong.

I was then concerned about Rebirth - worried simply that by delivering so well on Remake, that they had set themselves an impossible task with Rebirth, and would never be able to maintain that level of quality in a game so much larger. 

That was proven wrong.

I think I've simply learned now - not to worry about whatever the final entry is.

All they need to do, is just not fuck it up, and there's a very good chance that the complete FFVII Remade Trilogy will easily slip into the spot of "Best Final Fantasy Game of All Time".

Fingers crossed!

The Ranking:

So...
...in ranking FFVII Rebirth, all the same issues I mentioned in the Remake ranking still apply... but here, they are a little more pointed, as - spoiler alert - FFVII Rebirth is an even better game than FFVII Remake.

In fact, it is such a good game, and - unlike its predecessor - actually covers such a substantial section of the original progenitor game from which it sprang, that it gets much more questionable whether the amount covered actually does elevate it past the original game.

The fact is, probably the one thing holding FFVII Remake back from outclassing its progenitor, was that it is, while a long game, substantially shorter and covering so much less ground than the complete original. FFVII Rebirth, on the other hand, is like 200-250 hours long. In fact, if pursuing the platinum, completing FFVII Rebirth actually takes longer than the entire original game did to fully complete, and has probably a greater variety of gameplay to boot.

That makes the question of ranking strange... because there is no longer the simple "this is less game" part evaporate. What is left, is the fact that FFVII Rebirth is less of a "complete" story - naturally - however, it is a comparable length story...
...and in virtually all other ways, it is a superior game. It plays like a dream - even better than the original ever did - looks light years better, has more compelling characters due to the better rounded character arcs and more substantial differentiation of character and motivations...
...and in all the areas where the original game excelled - the abundance of mini-games, the music, the enemies, the location design, the narrative -it does either as good as, or better.

That, I think, begins to make what seemed impossible prior to Rebirth's release start to become an indisputable reality:
FFVII Rebirth has to outrank its originator... even without the final part of the trilogy even existing yet!

Yes, Final Fantasy Fan, I am as surprised as you are.
There is a reason the original FFVII is ranked in the current 12th position on this massive list. 
I fucking love that game...
...and yes, that love for the original is a key component to me loving FFVII Rebirth...
...but I can't deny - I think I love Rebirth more in 2024 than I love the original.

It's close...
...but it's true.

What makes for a strange fight though, is the game right above the original FFVII... Mass Effect 2.
(Cloud vs. Shepherd seems an odd matchup, but this ranking has forced it twice now!)

So, Mass Effect 2 is phenomenal.
It's easily the best entry in a blisteringly good trilogy - and it puts up a lot of fight against Rebirth. It has to come down to individual points.

FFVII Rebirth does win on gameplay. There's more of it, it is more variable and challenging, and it is more fun overall. The battle system wins pretty easily against ME2's 3rd person shooting. 
Mass Effect 2, on the other hand, does take it on story and narrative. I love the story in FFVII Rebirth, and the fabulous, silly, over-the-top tone, but Mass Effect 2 is that style of Western RPG at arguably the best it ever gets, and it works amazingly. the writing is great in both instances... but ME2 has to take the edge.

FFVII Rebirth takes the win visuals - and not just because it is 2 console generations later. Yes, graphically it stomps all over ME2, but also, its visual design and the way it incorporates the old game's designs in new, exciting ways, and has such variety and detail and scope and scale even beats out the very cool interesting designs of ME2.

Mass Effect 2, however, takes it on audio. Both on original score, and on voice work. Both games are sterling examples of both areas, but the voice acting and music, however, the score in ME2 is one of the best I've heard. The Jack Wall score for things like the final Suicide Mission are simply so good, that nothing in the excellent FFVII Rebirth score is able to match it, and while voice acting in Rebirth is very good, and highly stylised, there is more meat, I think, to the performances in ME2.

I

t's a very, very close fight, but in the end, I do think Mass Effect 2 manages to squeak the win.
It's really a case where it comes down to the "completeness" - both are middle chapters in trilogies, but Mass Effect 2 does have a "roundedness" that Rebirth doesn't - a person could play only ME2, and feel they got an amazing single game. I think to love Rebirth on the same level, the person would not only have to play Remake, they would also have to play the original FFVII too.

It's a tough call, but looking at the list, I'm comfortable seeing the games above and below where that places them...
...so FFVII Rebirth finds its spot, right above its towering progenitor, and right below the incredible ME2!

L2fc6f4.png

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

Summary: 

A 2024 addition to the Prince of Persia franchise from Ubisoft's Montpellier Studio, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown reworks the old, rather underserved franchise with a new lick of paint, a new gameplay genre, a new 2D Metroidvania format... and, curiously, without a Princely Protagonist!

Prince of Persia as a franchise has been in something of a strange spot for nigh-on two decades at this point.
Once one of Ubisofts powerhouse, tentpole franchises in its hey-day of the PS2-era Sands of Time trilogy,  the series - which dates back to 1989 originally - was arguably one of the most recognised videogame IPs around...
... but post-PS2-era, it began to suffer something of an identity crisis.

The reason can be summed up in two words: Assassin's Creed.

Assassin's Creed came out in 2007, and, to all intents and purposes, ate Prince of Persia's lunch. 

It had the parkour platforming, a similar setting, a similar audioscape, a similar look, but where Prince of Persia was level-based and rigid, AC was free-flowing and modern, and where PoP was established and set in its lore, AC was new and exciting...
...and given that they came from the same overarching company, one suffered for the other's success.

Because Assassin's Creed established its place in Prince of Persia's backyard, right at the time Prince of Persia had completed a trilogy and was poised to set its new direction, the natural thing was for Prince of Persia to go hard in another direction. 
And it did, with the 2008 reboot simply titled Prince of Persia

Now... I love the 2008 PoP
It is, in fact, my personal favourite game in the franchise...
...however, I cannot deny that while I loved it... many other franchise fans - and Ubisoft - clearly didn't. 

It was a game that divided fans of the previous trilogy, feeling and looking as different as it did, and while it was a great game, it's not hard to see why fans of the series baulked. After all, PoP 2008 isn't a game similar in any way to the aforementioned trilogy. 
It isn't an action platformer really - it's a 3D spacial puzzle game. there's combat and platforming, but not as the fans recognised it, and the game, while modestly successful, saw anaemic sales as compared to Assassin's Creed.

Then, Assassin's Creed 2 came out... and things went from bad-to-worse for the poor Prince!

Assassin's Creed 2 was a hell of a game - a brilliant, ambitious, fantastic sequel to the original, which not only did everything PoP 2008 didn't that the fans wanted it to...
...but even featured a protagonist who was practically the Sand of Time Prince in terms of attitude and look. 
Hell, Ezio was even voiced by Nolan North - the same actor as the Prince from PoP 2008!

Ubisoft's resolve wavered, and they did what probably seemed the safe option, but, in hindsight, was the nail in Prince of Persia's coffin:
They abandoned all the work they had done redesigning what Prince of Persia was, and released "The Forgotten Sands"..
...a poor, rather pale and unnecessary new entry in a tired and completed "trilogy", awkwardly bolted onto it. A fourth game, acting as a fifth wheel, which only made the franchise feel old and stilted and stuck in the muck, at a time when Assassin's Creed was new and exciting and in blistering ascension.

The results, for Prince of Persia, were catastrophic. 
After the 2012 release of The Forgotten Sands, and the lacklustre sales it accrued, Ubisoft pretty much shelved the IP. Aside from a few very questionable mobile-bound runner games, there wouldn't be another Prince of Persia game for another 12 years. 
that is a lifetime in franchise gaming! 

Cut to 2024.

Assassin's Creed has made Ubisoft more money than God, has had more entries than most franchises could imagine, and has even reinvented itself a couple of times over...
...but it's finally showing some signs of age. In many ways, one could argue Assassin's Creed is, post "Open-World-Trilogy", in a similar place to where Prince of Persia was in 2006-2007. It is currently flailing around, figuring out exactly what it wants to be - a big, open-world historical RPG? A tighter, assassination-based stealth game? A GaaS style Ever-game? 
A Valhalla, or a Mirage, or an Infinity?

The stage seems ripe to bring the old prince out of retirement, and reinvent that old IP for a new audience.
And that's exactly what they did.
Well... sans the actual Prince, that is.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is not, it should be noted, particularly similar to any previous Prince of Persia game. It is a 2D platforming metroidvania, in the style of Guacamelee or Dead Cells or, ironically, the Assassin's Creed offshoot "Chronicles" games.

After Prince Ghassan - the Prince of Persia - is kidnapped by a trusted General, General Anahita, the new protagonist - Sargon - part of an elite cadre of protectors of the Prince called "Immortals," travels to the cursed city of Mount Qaf with his allies, to rescue the kidnapped prince.

Once a vibrant city, Mount Qaf is plagued by a temporal anomaly, causing all who enter it to experience time out of joint, and the group quickly begin to splinter, as they become lost in the maze of time.
After the leader of the Immortals - Vahram - reveals himself to be the true enemy and the power behind the kidnapping, murdering the Prince in-front of Sargon, Sargon must navigate the maze and the temporal misalignments to rewrite history, save the Prince, defeat Vahram, and escape the cursed city.

As a Metroidvania, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is something of an anomaly, in the sense that while the game has all the hallmarks of a smaller game - and indeed, is most accurately categorised with many other games that fall in the shorter, more focussed, generally Indie-game-led space - it is actually far longer and more expansive than the majority of games that are its peers.

The scope of the game is admirably large, and the amount of exploration, secrets, collectibles and platforming puzzles are both varied, abundant and impressive. 

The platforming and puzzles of the game are also, virtually without exception, excellent. 

There is a slow and steady metroidvania-staple drip feed of new abilities given to Sargon, and these are all clever, fun to use, and allow synergistic combinations of abilities to slowly open up access to different areas of the map.
Early on, puzzle platforming sections and straight "puzzle" areas tend to make use of single or double combination abilities, but as the game progresses, and Sargon has access to a full arsenal of abilities, there are some really clever, interesting combination-requiring puzzles designed, which can stump the player before they have their "eureka moment" or realising how they can combine them to defeat it.

Many of these result in coin collectibles, and these are cleverly used too - these collectibles are obtained, usually, during lengthly combination platforming puzzles, however, they are not immediately added to Sargon's inventory. Instead, they float alongside him... and are only actually collected, once he is back on solid ground.
That is a neat solution to what is often an issue with puzzle platformer collectibles - the player can often simply kamikaze themselves into a pit, as long as they get the collectible on their way to certain death. They don't actually have to figure out how to get it safely. Here, not only to the need to get it safely...
...the also need to get back safely, without losing it - and in some of the more tricksy puzzles, the getting there is easy, but the getting back is where the real challenge lies!

The Metroidvania elements of the game are actually of note too, in that Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown does a couple of things that are extremely cool quality of life improvements within the genre itself, and should, ideally, be adopted by other Metroidvanias going forward. 

The game doesn't guide the player particularly in terms of narrative progression, not in terms of auto-tagging locked areas or points of interest, however, it has an in-built "tagging" system, allowing the player to drop little symbols from a pool of them, onto the map themselves. 

See an area that is too high to reach with your current abilities? 
Drop a little symbol on it, to remind yourself to come back once you have some new abilities. 
Or, better yet...
...use the "take photo" function, which creates a screen capture within the game, and a symbol in that place on the map, so when viewing the map, you have a handy image of what is there to remind you what exactly was the issue, and what abilities might help you overcome it.

It's a great system, and one that really benefits the Metroidvania design, as it allows the player to feel much more "ownership" over their own exploration, avoids irksome journeys back to areas trying to remember where a gated path was, or only to discover the they still don't have the requisite ability - and does it while also allowing the developer to excise some "hand-holding". 
When the player is in full control of the map, and able to tag all the places they might want to revisit of explore later, the game doesn't have to hang signs on things saying "look here". The player feels more in control, so the game can loosen its grip on their shoulder.

Unfortunately though, despite some admirable length and scope, some great metroidvania elements, and some excellent platforming and puzzle design, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is not a game without significant issues.

The biggest one, is combat.

While the platforming puzzle elements are all generally very well designed and fun to play with, the combat is rather crude and rudimentary, and often works in direct opposition to the good platforming elements.

In many cases, fun platforming sections feature enemies that seem designed not so much to challenge, as to frustrate and annoy the player.

Sargon is incredibly nimble and adept at movement, yet curiously stiff in terms of actually swinging his sword in the right direction. parrying and blocking is useful, but Sargon must be facing the correct direction to do so, so it is largely useless in any 1 vs many encounter - and most enemies use far more "unblockable" attacks than parry-able ones, so really, maintaining speed, combo and air-based attacks to "stun lock" enemies is always preferable.

That's more a design choice than a straight up problem - however, there is also a genuine problem is some areas, where the addition of combat-based obstacles to platforming-challenge areas simply doesn't seem to have been effectively thought through.

There are multiple spots where this is an issue, and it's not the simplest thing to explain, but to give a good example, take the "Upper City" area.

This is a section with a number of very large room, where the player is progressing vertically upwards, using a series of moving platforms and platforming puzzle elements. These are fun, and well designed. However, the area is also populated by a large number of enemies, who are constantly firing flaming arrows at the player from considerable off-screen distance. The player is therefore required to navigate the level, proceed upwards, but also seek out the enemies based on the trajectories of the incoming arrows, and kill them to reduce the incoming threat. 

All good, standard, action-platforming fare so far.
However, the problem is twofold. 

Firstly, these enemies are all positioned on small platforms themselves - and take quite a few hits to kill. Because Sargon's combat moves routinely result in "knocking" the enemies in the air, or around the arena, there is a constant issue with hitting the enemies off their perches, but not actually killing them...
...and since that sends them plummeting to the bottom of the area, and the game has no fall damage, and they are still able to fire a tremendous distance from offscreen, the result is that the arrow continue... but from a new - much harder to avoid - trajectory, coming straight up at Sargon. 
As such, in order to progress, the player generally must go all the way back down the level, deliver the finishing blow, then climb all the way back up to where they were to continue their progression.

The second problem - compounding the first considerably - is that there are multiple "exits" and "entrances" to this large area, where the player will want to explore as they proceed upwards. After all, the core tenant of a metroidvania is exploration, and checking every nook and cranny is part of the metroidvania experience. 
However, every time they move back and forth out of and into the main area, all the enemies respawn in it - below, and above. 
As such, the whole section becomes a tiresome and irritating process of constantly going up and down, hitting enemies who fall, then going down and killing them, then going back up, then exploring a path, then having the enemies respawn, then doing it again... and again... and again...
...none of which is particularly challenging, but all of which is time consuming and irksome.

That isn't an isolated problem either. 
There are multiple such problems in the game, that seem specifically designed to take a very fun, clever, well designed platforming area, and turn it into a frustrating exercise in patience-testing. The number of airborne enemies who pose no actual threat - who's incoming attacks are laughably weak, but who are positioned and who's movement is designed ONLY to interrupt long platforming puzzles - is dishearteningly abundant, and so common and escalating that it can only be a result of deliberate decision. 

An ice area, for example, in the later game, where extremely long platforming sections are rife, has floating enemies who not only serve only to stymie progression without challenge, but who leave behind obstacles after being killed, seems designed solely to further frustrate players who might have already gotten good at airborne arrow-shooting to deal with their non-ice counterparts...
...but still offer no actual combat challenge.

One might argue these are nit-picking points, or simply preferential annoyances - surely all action platformers have such enemies, and they are there to increase the challenge of the platforming?...
...well, yes they do... 
...but that is exactly the point.

There are countless example of other action platformers that do use enemies in the same way - Guacamelee, Dandara, Dust: An Elysian Tale, the list goes on...
...but in none of those cases did they feel like they were solely annoying, and not prohibitively challenging.

Another major area of concern, is the visuals.

They are just... bland. 

There are some areas - a forrest area around halfway through, and in particular an excellent, really cool looking area where a ship in mid-battle has been frozen in time, and the player is able to run on the chrono-frozen sea surface, and jump between mid-explosion sections of splintering hull - however, these sections of particularly interesting design personality are the exception, rather than the rule... 
...and truth-be-told, likely stand out as more interesting that they might be in another game, only due to the distinct lack of distinctness elsewhere. 

For the most part, the different areas of Mount Qaf, while perfectly functional and distinct from one another, are exactly the areas one might expect, and any seasoned gamer could likely list them without ever playing the game. We have the city area, the library, the sewers, the forrest, the docks - all perfectly acceptable, but all rather generic areas for any game.

That's not a problem in itself necessarily - the same could be said for many games - however, it is brought into stark relief by the fact that the actual visual style of the game is so drab and uninteresting. The visual personality of the game seems to be simply "no personality". The game looks like the generic "default" of a game, prior to the overlay of any distinct art-style.

It's a shame, because actually, the fact that the game is 2D, means it would be ripe for an interesting art-style to be applied. There are loads of great 2D games out there where incredible, distinctive art-styles elevate good gameplay - one can imagine this game with a hand-drawn style like Treasures of the Aegean, or a cartoonish art-style like Dust: An Elysian Tale, or a noir-ish style like Limbo or Inside, or pixel-art like Dead Cells, or even a watercolour style like Child of Light, and it giving the game the personality injection it sorely needs...
...but unfortunately, the flat, rather uninteresting style settled on is best described as "default"... 
...and more cruelly described as "Fortnite".

That is a genuine problem, because while "genero-visuals" might be forgivable and less of an issue in a shorter game, the fact that Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a game which is much longer than almost all the games that are its peers, and that it would be compared to, coupled with the fact that it looks so much less interesting than any of them, highlights the game's repetitive visual blandness, and just makes it feel like it wears on and on and on. 
It does a disservice to what is actually quite a varied and clever game in terms of platforming and puzzles.

Audio is a mixed bag in the game - or more accurately, it's a game of two halves. 
In terms of spoken dialogue, the game is not particularly stand out. The default language is English, and when played that way, the vocals are both a little too over-the-top, and strangely cast. 
Pretty much all characters speak with London accents, and it is somewhat fiction-breaking, particularly given that the writing, while serviceable, also isn't terribly impressive. The dialogue given to individual members of the Immortals seems designed more to try and force personality into characters who don't get a lot of screen time, and tends to fall into caricature and stereotype as a result, and when coupled with the overacting and strangely pedestrian accents, it makes for laughs more often than immersion.
There is, however, a language option of Persian available. 
In this mode, the voice cast does a much better job, with dialogue a little more subdued, and reading the text as subtitles tends to work better than hearing it in a London accent.

The score, on the other hand, requires no equivocation - and is arguably the best thing in the entire game!

The music, by Mentrix and Gareth Coker is an absolute belter - a mix of orchestral themes and pounding percussive, rousing battle-arrangements stylistically similar to the soundtracks of the God of War games, which are variously spliced with more modern sounding electronica or middle-eastern inspired themes.
It's a great and expansive soundtrack - one I've listened to quite a few times outside of the game itself, and is both one of the best original soundtracks I've heard this year, and easily the best soundtrack a Prince of Persia game has had in its long history!

Overall, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a bit of a mixed bag. 
It's a metroidvania with some genuinely good, genre-advancing ideas, that is admirable and impressive in scale and scope, and which offers some excellent platforming, tight controls, clever abilities and a fun progression and skill tree. 

It is also a game which is let down quite considerably by some pretty flat and awkward combat design, uninteresting environmental detailing, questionable and ill-conceived enemy placements, and is presented in a visual style almost custom designed to make the game seem blander than it should be.

The voice work is not great, (though can be alleviated greatly by playing in Persian,) but there is a rousing, excellent score that elevates it quite a bit. 

It's a game that has significant good points - many of the things it does well it does very well, and fans of puzzle platforming (like myself) will doubtless be able to push through the frustrating elements, and find a lot of fun here...
...but one can't help but see the game as somewhat disappointing in a sense, because the core gameplay - which is mostly there and mostly good - is let down time and again by tertiary elements.

The Ranking:

The obvious place to start with Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is some of the previously ranked PoP games...
...and the placement within the 4 "Sands" games is relatively clear and obvious to me, without even looking.

The two better Sands games - Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time definitely outclass this new entry, but the weaker two - Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands are clearly weaker than it.

That narrows the placement quite quickly, to somewhere in the gulf between Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

I had hoped that placement might be made easier by the inclusion, somewhere in there, of another comparable Metroidvania, but alas, there isn't one.

The closest game would be the original Trine.

I think, on balance, Trine beats out Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. It doesn't have the smoothness of gameplay, but it does have more fluid, interesting puzzles, a great co-op, and much, much more interesting visual design and art-style. It doesn't have the music, or the scope or length, but it has more personality in a single level than Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown has in its entirety, and tends to be memorable i na way Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown isn't.

It then comes down to simply asking "which of these handful of games below Trine, but above Warrior Within is Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, with its mixed bag of good puzzles and platforming, and less good combat and visual design, better than?"

Working up from Warrior Within, I think its good elements are enough to outclass Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Bayonetta and to just about beat out Costume Quest 2...
...but I don't think it can really offer any serious fight against Final Fantasy XIII-2, nor Resident Evil VII: Village.

As such, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown finds its spot!

Lbe9097.png

Kentucky Route Zero

Summary: 

A surrealist narrative Adventure Game from Cardboard Computer, originally released on PC as 5 separate "acts" over the course of 7 years between 2013 and 2020, Kentucky Route Zero was finally finished and ported as a single, complete work to various platforms under the moniker of "Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition" - including to PS5 in 2023.

Taking a Lynchian, non-linear, heightened-reality approach to mood-based narrative storytelling, it tells the tale of several different characters in a strange, mysterious version of the Kentucky twilight, coming together via circumstance, and travelling together on a strange, winding journey centred around the mysterious "Kentucky Route Zero" - a highway of sorts, seemingly existing outside of conventional time and space, and linking curios and oddities hidden in plain sight in the moonlit world.

The core spine of the narrative is relatively simple - Kentucky Route Zero is a road movie of sorts, following the delivery of a package, and begins with a single character - Conway - an ailing, world-weary delivery driver, as he travels across Kentucky to make his final delivery of antiques before the closure of the store he works for. 

As he travels the mysterious back ways and curious spaces of the ever-nighttime road, searching for - and eventually travelling on - the mysterious "Kentucky Route Zero" - he meets various strange and curious characters on their own journeys, with their own stories, regrets, hopes, dreams and personal sadnesses, and they flit and flutter in and out of the central narrative as they come together and join the Quixotic quest to deliver the package.

That plot description is pretty vague, and it's for good reason - Kentucky Route Zero is a difficult game to summarise in terms of plot.
In some ways, the actual "quest" the characters are on feels...
...not exactly irrelevant, as it does drive the plot and act as the jumping off point from which all the curious, strange, mysterious other elements of the game can spine off... 
...however, it does act largely as a macguffin for the majority of a game where simply being on the strange journey with these strange characters, exploring the world presented to them, and hearing the stories it has to tell, is the primary focus.

The game has less the feeling of a single narrative, than of a short story collection built around a theme. 
There is a mosaic quality to the individual vignettes - they aren't random, and while some wholly unrelated seeming section might come up, generally characters within that scene will eventually figure in some way into the primary narrative - but the impact on the overall will as often be tertiary or tonal rather than particularly plot heavy. 

The game is one where the straight narrative is loose and nebulous, hopping from absurdist section to absurdist section with little grounding insofar as straight "logic", however, the mood and the tone ARE very specific, and no matter how outlandish or absurdist or tangential the individual scenes get, they do piece together into coherent TONE. They just do it without allowing pesky things like logic or realism get in the way.

Anyone familiar with David Lynch's more esoteric fare - Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Inland Empire, Eraserhead et al - will be familiar with the story-telling style on show here - scenes may be difficult to place or to fit together in any kind of beat-to-beat-to-beat logical way, particularly as presented in their non-linear fashion, but there is a palpable tonal through-line.

Therefore, while its possible to simply go "this makes no sense" and switch off from a purely logical point of view, if the viewer gives over to the art as presented, accepts each scene as it comes, and allows their more emotive side to take the wheel, the narrative lends itself to an emotional through-line that is consistent in a way the practical and logical through line isn't.

The world of Kentucky Route Zero is one in which a scene of Conway asking for direction in a gas station might yield a curious conversation with an elderly gas station attendant, an encounter with ghostly Dungeons and Dragon's players, and a semi-sentient computer...
... or where an underground bootlegger whiskey distillery is run by skeletons...
...or where a mountain cave full of research graduates have created a text adventure game in which some people have become lost...
...but those absurdist elements can exist right alongside a lengthly scene of downtrodden barflies in a run down roadside bar, chatting aimlessly about their troubles, and neither feels more or less bizarre than the other, because the strange, dreamlike, noirish tone remains constant across all. 

The player is never able to predict exactly what will happen next, because the plot and the storytelling are not bound by logic or reason, but the events don't feel so fully untethered as to simply lose their attention, because the tone is consistent, and the through line is maintained - it's just done via ambiance and feeling. 

There is a dreamlike quality to the whole affair - the way characters feel exceptionally well realised within their vignettes, yet detached from any wider life beyond them... in the same way that in a dream, a scene might feel very real, but if reality begins to bleed in, and you begin to think beyond the bounds of that particular moment, you can't exactly remember how it started, or how you got there.

In fact, that story-telling method does seem to feed quite neatly into the moral theme of the story itself. The characters in Kentucky Route Zero are all different and imbued with personality and interesting and diverse - Conway himself; Shannon Weaver, the struggling TV Repairwoman; Lulu Chamberlain, the one-time performance and installation artist, now working an unfulfilling job at the Bureau of Unclaimed Spaces; Ezra, the precocious child in a business suit, who's brother is a giant eagle; Junebug and Johnny, the motorcycling musicians; Will and Cate, the odd couple who captain the Mucky Mammoth riverboat - however, what they all have in common, is that they have their own tragedies and sadnesses, their own troubles and strifes, but simply get on with the act of living, in the face of adversity or ennui.

That does feel like the central thesis statement of Kentucky Route Zero to a large extent - it is a parable of sorts, telling a loose and winding tale around the theme of "getting busy living" and "keeping on keeping on". Of making some kind of life work, and seeking your own personal salvation, even in the face of bleak odds or overwhelming universal indifference.
That the world around you changes all the time, and doesn't care to tell you why, or care for your plans or your wellbeing...
... but in addition to the struggle and the sadness and the bleakness and the indifference, it can be magical and free and hopeful and interesting and beautiful, if only you give over to it. If you dive in and swim in the emptiness and the madness and the oddness, and appreciate the smaller moments of joy in the company of those around you, or take a moment to appreciate the stories of others, or the majestic strangeness of the forgotten spaces of the world.

It is, as such, not a game for everyone - Lynch movies are the same - but anyone willing to simple forgo their desire for narrative or logical sense, and accept the world as presented, and read into it as it comes, will actually find a sort of non-linear logic to the whole game, as the seemingly separate elements of storytelling are pieced together and congeal successfully as a collage of strange elements with a specific, tonal consistency.

A lot of that is down to the writing and the visual style - both of which are very good.

The writing is absolutely killer - Kentucky Route Zero is a game where even with minimal dialogue or description, the writers are able to nail the tone and specificity of mood and place with pinpoint accuracy. Depths of individual characters mood and feelings and pasts are conveyed very well with relatively minimal dialogue exchanges, and that comes down entirely to the strength of the language and writing. 
The downtrodden yet hopeful, or mournfulness, or wistfulness of the overall tone never falters, and the characters' acceptance of the world in which they are presented goes a long way to setting the stage for the player to do the same - and to feel a connection to characters whom they spend relatively little time with. 

The player is able to shape the narrative to some extent - there are certainly dialogue prompts and choices to be made, but these tend to feel more like choices about what aspects of the characters they get to find out about, rather than changing the actual outcome of events. The player can, for example choose which character says something in a given situation, letting them see different aspects of different character's personalities and their relationships to one another, rather than specifically shaping who those characters actually are.

Make no mistake - while the visuals and the music are certainly key components of making Kentucky Route Zero work, and are important - the writing is the main draw here. If the writing didn't work, the whole game wouldn't, and, here, it is of such uniform high quality that it is responsible for making the game ass compulsive and as memorable and as engaging as it is.
Playing Kentucky Route Zero is, essentially, reading a curious novel in game form. 
Yes, there are game trappings - and certainly there is power in the fact that the visuals cool and dream-like and interesting, and the music mood-setting and compulsive - but the feeling coming out of Kentucky Route Zero is akin to that of having read an interesting novella, rather than of playing a videogame. The medium is used effectively, but it is in aid of embellishing an evocative story, rather than good writing informing or improving upon a game.

Those visuals are cool too, of course. The general visual style is one of low-poly greys and highly stylised character silhouettes, with some white-on-black vector graphic style sections conveying the actual roads travelled. 

Individual scenes are rarely similar in terms of input or control - some feel largely 2D, some 2.5D, some isometric 3D, some flat-plane, almost cut-out form, but they follow a stylistic theme, and are generally framed in a way that is both stylish and cinematic, yet specific to the requirements of that specific vignette. 
The game picks and chooses its input controls based on the best use for that scene - so if a scene would work best from a first person perspective, it uses that. If it would work best in isometric view, it uses that. The controls are generally quite rudimentary - as is often the case with Adventure Games - but it's largely irrelevant, as there is never any situation where pinpoint accuracy or twitch movement is required. Much like the actual narrative, the player should not look for a mechanical through-line, but rather treat each individual scene as its own entity, play it, and come to understand how it feed into the overall pastiche only once such knowledge makes itself known or required.

The game does have occasional moments where the controls feel a bit unsuited to the requirements - one section where the player controls a vehicle in isometric view is a little irksome, as the controls don't seem quite up to snuff for what they are trying to achieve - but for the most part, these issues are minor, and not prohibitively debilitating, given that there is no threat of "failure" - just a bit of faffing around if a 3-point turn is required!

The audio is curious, and pretty well done. 

There isn't general voice work per-se, the majority of dialogue is text-only, however, there is some voice work in the game. Certain radio stations, or television sections, or songs are voiced, and in many cases, the audio is used quite effectively and evocatively in these areas. For example, while two characters might be having an exchange in text only, if in the background they could hear, say, the singing of a choir in a church they are approaching, that singing is voiced... and will get more or less muffled as our characters get closer or further way. 
It quite an effective use of audio, as it feels like it feeds into the eerie, mysterious nature of the game, and lets the player hear what the characters are concentrating on but does it without having the primary dialogue voiced, so the character's themselves are voiced within the player's head, keeping them feeling more personal.

The general audio is relatively sparse, using ambient sounds and some wistful, tonal musical stings, but there is also several in-game songs played - including some country tunes from a band that seem to appear here and there in the foreground of some scenes. These are a highlight - very evocative, and work to further cement the palpable tone of the game.

Overall, Kentucky Route Zero is a strange game - but a very winning one. 

It's certainly not the kind of game that appeals to everyone - there is very little in the way of mechanical gameplay, or challenge or complexity from a gameplay standpoint, however, it a narrative game that absolutely nails the dreamlike, ethereal quality of a David Lynch film, and has a tone and style that feels both very distinct, and very specific.

There is a languid pace and an almost deliberate slowing down of the pace of the game that the player must get on board with - scenes operate at a deliberate pace, and rarely are the actual "progression points" uniform or broadcast, and so playing the game tends to rely on the player simply giving themselves over to the game, enjoying the dreamlike quality of to, poking, prodding, exploring, reading, and getting out of it as much as they are willing to put into it...
...but if they are willing to meet the game on its own terms, there is a surprisingly dense, exceptionally well written, remarkably well realised, and genuinely original tale being spun, with a mood and tone that is simultaneously palpable, deliberate, curious, mysterious, stark, maudlin...
... and often quite beautiful.

The Ranking:

Kentucky Route Zero is not a Walking Sim per se, but it is a game predicated almost solely on writing and mood and ambiance, and on drawing the player in with narrative and visuals, so the natural starting point is Walking Sims, as those are the most comparable games to this largely incomparable game!

The one that immediately came to mind was arguably the original Walking Sim - the game that pretty much created that genre AS a genre, and still stands as one of the best examples of "mood-based, non-gameplay" gaming: Dear Esther.

Now, I am a big fan of Dear Esther - the writing is excellent, the visuals lovely and haunting, and the mood created by it is palpable - so when I say Kentucky Route Zero beats it quite easily, that's not a slight on Dear Esther - it's a compliment to Kentucky Route Zero! The narrative is longer and more interesting, I was more engaged, and despite not being able to predict what would happen next in either, I was more fascinated and compelled by Kentucky Route Zero.

The next Walking Sim working up the list from Dear Esther is What Remains of Edith Finch, and again, when I say Kentucky Route Zero is the superior experience, it's again a testament to Kentucky Route Zero. What Remains of Edith Finch has a lot of the best parts of Dear Esther in there - it has good - if not better - writing, its longer, more substantial, more detailed, and has a more esoteric and curious narrative...
...but Kentucky Route Zero is still the game I know I will remember longer, and felt more compelled to see through, and to get more of.

The next one up, though, is Firewatch.

Firewatch is a tougher fight, because Firewatch is the first one were I think the voice work and performance is such a substantially additive element, and so good, that it begins to really buoy it against Kentucky Route Zero. Is the narrative more compelling... no, probably not. It's more linear, and has more of a payoff (though that payoff is more a rug pull than a catharsis,) but the game is certainly mysterious and compelling throughout.

It's relatively close - very very close actually, but I think, Firewatch does manage - just - to hold its place.

It's a very tough call that one though, and so the only fair thing feels like placing Kentucky Route Zero just below it...
...which means its found its spot!

L268c57.png

Open Roads

Summary: 

A short family-melodrama / mystery Lite-Adventure game from The Open Roads Team, Open Roads sees a mother - Opal - and a daughter - Tess - who are in the process of packing up Opal's late-mother's home after her death, discover clues to a mystery around their mother/grandmother - and a possible affair she may have had when Opal was a teenager, around the time of her husband's death.

During a time of tension and difficulty for the family - where Opal's job is in jeopardy, Tess's relationship with her divorced father is causing friction, thoughts of Tess's future are weighing on both their minds, and the stress of family upheaval in the wake of the grandmother's death and the forced sale of the home, this mystery provides a much needed distraction to Tess...
...and so, with some cajoling, she and Opal set off to the long abandoned summer trailer-home to follow the trail, to unravel the mystery. 

The story is a short one - it's a curious enough unravelling of a family mystery, though it does feel a little too truncated, and a little too easy. 
I don't mean in terms of game challenge - Open Roads is essentially a Walking Sim/ lite-Adventure game, and the narrative is key here, not mechanical gameplay - but a little to easy for the character's themselves.

The thing is, Opal and Tess are, in the fiction, uncovering a long buried family mystery, across several locations, including two long abandoned homes...
...but it feels like all the clues to unravel that mystery are so obviously and simply laid out in these locations, that it is genuinely baffling that they would have made it 30 years without figuring out this mystery before.

The mystery makes itself known initially via clues in Opal's mothers home, which makes some logical sense, given that Tess and Opal are in the process of clearing the house for sale, so it is logical that they might find some artefacts of the past hinting at the mystery during that process...
...however, these clues are hardly hidden well enough that it could be believable that children in that house would not have accidentally stumbled across them.

In the two subsequent locations, it seems very convenient and coincidental that practically the only things remaining un-destroyed in these long-abandoned domiciles, is the exact items that point to the mystery, too. As if a hurricane blew through, destroyed everything, then someone came and carefully laid out a set of incriminating or plot-critical postcards and diary entries for someone to come and find later!

In fact, the lack of red herrings or non-critical or other elements to muddy the detective elements was so jarring, that I actually assumed it was deliberate - that the plot was eventually going to reveal that someone had left these things as a trail to be followed, and that the ending would reveal someone pulling the strings...
...but in fact, it simply seems to be the game itself not doing enough to make the mystery seem in any way hidden from the people to whom it had - apparently - remained a mystery for 30 years.

They must have been very unquestioning, incurious children, to miss what are relatively obvious indicators of a family mystery, left rather signposted all around them!

The art-style is... interesting...
...though if I'm honest, not an aspect that worked particularly well for me. 

It's not that the art-style is bad - in fact, not only is it good, it's actually two kinds of good - I just don't think that the two ways in which is good compliment each-other particularly well. In fact, they feel like they almost work against one another.

So, there are two distinct graphical styles - one for the environments, and one for the characters. 

The environments are rendered in full 3D, and do look pretty good. I will say, that when the game first opened, in Tess's room, the 3D environment was so pleasingly rendered that I initially didn't realise it WAS a 3d environment, I actually thought I was looking at a still frame. Not everything throughout the game is enormously or intricately detailed - there is a slightly cartoonish, colourful heightening to the general environs, and individual objects picked up, while nicely rendered, are not phot-realistic by any stretch, but there is a consistency and a pleasing style to everything.

In fact, it's worth pointing out the vivid colours and use of brightness and light, because it's unusual and deliberate. 
Open Roads, while something of a loose detective mystery, is not a game that is trading in scares, tension or spookiness...
... but because it has some of the hallmarks of the many, many, many games that are trading on those elements (exploring abandoned houses, finding details of past mysteries, piecing together a buried secret etc,) the visuals seem to be deliberately avoiding comparison. 
There are games - for example, Gone Home, or The Suicide of Rachel Foster, or The Town of Light, or even things like Layers of Fear, which are doing much of the same type of gameplay in similar settings, but where "eeriness" and "spookiness" are part and parcel of the experience. Since Open Roads very much isn't in that "spooky" wheelhouse, the developer seems to have specifically chosen the visual palate to be key in differentiating the game from that strain of gaming as far a possible, to the extent that even a trailer for the game would not be mistaken fora quote-unquote "horror" game.

Those environments work quite well - it's pleasant to explore the spaces, and moving around them feels like a fun family adventure, rather than a spooky or tense experience.

The other art-style is in the characters - they are 2D, hand-drawn cartoons, similar in style to late-80's/ early-90's Saturday morning fare, and are animated in a similar low-frame, motion-comic style. 

The things is - these characters also look good - the characters are distinct and well drawn, and emotive enough to convey the tone of the scenes...
...however, there is a bit of visual dissonance when they are placed into the rather more realistic looking backdrops and 3D environments. 

In the general "Hey Mom!" interchanges, (where Tess finds objects of interest, and can call her mother for a discussion of what they mean,) this is not a huge issue as the backgrounds are static for the most part, but when in the car scenes, for example, where the 3D environment of the backdrop is swooshing past the windows of the 3D environment of the car, with a 2D drawing of the characters inside, it has a tendency to look a bit odd... like two different media spliced together, and not quite existing in the same reality.

It's not a huge problem - as said, both individual styles are good - but it is something that never quite felt "right" throughout the game...
...and occasionally did give rise to actual, bonafide wonkiness.  Occasionally - rarely, but occasionally - the perspective of the 2D animation seems not to quite align with the camera position in the 3D environment, resulting in one or both of the characters looking like an actual 2D cardboard cutout placed in the world. 
That works in something like Tinykin, because it is part of the charm and the style, and looks quite deliberately funny...
...but doesn't work here, where it is only accidentally funny at times, and tends to pull the player right out of the scene.

Voice work is decent enough in the game - the two primary voice actors are Keri Russell as Opal (the mother) and Kaitlyn Dever as Tess (the daughter.) Both are extremely accomplished film and TV actors, and I am a big fan of both in that context. In fact, the two stars were the main draw that convinced me to purchase the game in the first place.

I will say though, while I do think the performances given by both actresses are generally good, there is a slight caveat to that.

The dialogue is delivered well enough, however, the actual writing can feel a little "day-time soap opera", with exchanges feeling less natural than they should. There is a tendency to want to imply friction or sassiness or tension, but still want to keep it all very light, and so the back and forth can feel overly tame, or like the characters are being more polite and less familiar with one another than a real mother and daughter would in a situation like the one presented.

The vocal performances can at times also feel a little stilted. 
Partly, that is as a result of the writing... but I don't think it's solely that.

Something that seems to happen on occasion, when primarily film and tv actors take videogame voice roles to which they are not accustomed, is that the delivery can take on a slightly over-annunciated, "radio-play" feel - where it feels like the words are being read verbatim from the page, with careful and specific attention paid to the stage directions, but lacking the naturalistic lilt. 
As if one can almost hear the directions given to the actor at the specific points they have been given.

It's understandable in some sense - a film or TV actor used to performing on camera and less familiar with the medium of games may not have the trust and faith in the media to carry the nuance of their performance in the same way a seasoned voice actor might - there is likely a tendency to feel like radio-play level diction and theatrical enunciation is more media-appropriate...
... but it can mean some of the interplay between characters, or quieter, more introspective or inner-monologue type readings can feel more stilted or wordy than they should. 

That does happen sometimes in Open Roads, though, thankfully, it tends to be more in the shorter exchanges, or most often in the single line reads for incidental dialogue, rather than the lengthier exchanges. In those more plot-critical, longer interplays between the mother and daughter, the conversations feel much more natural - perhaps owing to the two actors being present together for the readings rather than recorded individually, or perhaps simply due to the performances being longer and having more substance to them, lending the actors more runway to give a nuanced performance.

Overall, Open Roads is a neat enough little game, but one that tends to end up feeling a little underwhelming, despite some good aspects.

Tess and Opal are both perfectly good characters, and endearing enough, but for as much personality as the visual design and vocal performances give, and for as much information as we glean of their lives around the game, it's hard to be particularly strongly invested in their relationship, as the tone is kept "daytime television" enough that it never feels enormously under threat, even in the more heated moments.

While the mystery is curious enough, and interesting enough, with a decent enough payoff, it feels short and largely simple for the characters to figure out - to the point that it almost seems odd that the grandmother would have been able to sustain the secret as long as she did. 

Props have to be given for the combination of visual styles - they both look good in isolation, and the combination does give the game its own signature look that is relatively original...
...but despite the props for trying something different, I'm just not sure that it really pays off in that respect either, as the visuals tend to work against each-other.

It's not a bad game by any stretch, and is compelling enough a narrative with strong enough characterisation to just sustain over its short length...
...but that feels like faint praise, as the game is noticeably short. It feels like the same story, stretched out over a few more hours, with a couple more locations, and a bit more in the way of disguising the clues in each, would result in a much more satisfying experience overall.

The Ranking:

So Open Roads was a bit of a disappointment, all told. It's not terrible, but it's fleeting and simple, and didn't really draw me in the way I might have hoped, so I started looking for other games that are sorter or more narrative in nature, that had promise, but didn't really deliver or had problems.

The three that came to mind were Twelve Minutes, Twin Mirror, and Knee Deep.

Now, Knee Deep is actually the more ambitious and curious of the three - but also the one that is least successful in execution, and is lowest ranked. I think Open Roads does beat it - the narrative is less compelling in the plot sense, but it's told and written better, and while Knee Deep has some really interesting stylistic leanings, they falter often. Open Roads also has some problems with its art style specifically... but they still work more consistently than Knee Deep, and when you couple that with the decent voice work and the better general visuals, Open Roads is the clear winner.

Twelve Minutes is the highest ranked of the three games, and while it does have a lot of problems in terms of user-experience, lack of signposting of its rigid structure, and letting the player get lost without any rhyme or reason...
...the narrative itself is more compelling, and more interesting. I also think the visuals work better, there is more meat to the gameplay (when it works,) and the vocal performances are the better ones.

It's also worth noting that Twelve Minutes is also a game using actors primarily known for Film, and they do a better job, I think, than the actresses in Open Roads do, and have better material to work with.

Twin Mirror is in between the two, and that is a closer fight. On the one hand, Open Roads is the simpler, less compelling story, on the other hand, the voice performances are better, as is the general writing. Twin Mirror has some clangers, and to be honest, despite spending more time with the characters in Twin Mirror, I felt more connection to Tess and Opal in Open Roads
While Twin Mirror does look better, I think it achieves it by playing safe -there's nothing interesting or ambitious about the visuals of Twin Mirror - they just look fine. Open Roads looks more interesting, even if its combination visual styles don't always mesh well.

I think on balance, Open Roads, despite being more fleeting, is the winner there. Twin Mirror is a game that just isn't memorable in any real positive way, whereas I reckon I'll remember the interesting, if not always successful visuals of Open Roads for longer, and with more fondness, even after the story fades.

There's not a huge amount of games between Twin Mirror and Twelve Minutes - and they aren't comparable genres, but simply on the old "Is Open Roads the better experience?" question...
...I'd say the answer is "yes" for Jusant, but "no" for the others, so I think the right spot of Open Roads is just above Jusant!

So there we have it folks!

Hitman 3 remains as 'Current Most Awesome Game'!

htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diaries finally remains as the worst-of-the-worst, with the title of 'Least Awesome Game'!

What games will be coming along next time to challenge for the top spot... or the bottom rung?

That's up to randomness, me.... and YOU!

Remember:

1f6a8.png1f6a8.pngSPECIAL NOTE1f6a8.png1f6a8.png

If there are any specific games anyone wants to see get ranked sooner rather than later - drop a message, and I'll mark them for 'Priority Ranking'! 1f913.png

The only stipulation is that they must be on my profile, at 100% (S-Rank)....

and aren't already on the Rankings! 263a.png

Man, I am consistently impressed by your writing skills, that was a wall of text and every single word was engaging. I don't know what you do for a living, but if it ain't writing, then you're in the wrong job 😅.

Congrats on tackling KR0, I REALLY did not get on with that game, as you said, it isn't for everyone and that certainly includes me. But I'm glad that you found beauty in its very complex and, in my opinion, utterly insufferable design 😅.

A great read none the less!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I played things like Game Dev Story, for example, on iOS. 

This intrigues me. Are there any games you would place highly on this list if not for the fact that they aren't on PSN?

Also, on the mention of a tight work schedule, please don't burn yourself out if too many things are going on. Your life is more important than a silly game forum.

Edited by grayhammmer
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, grayhammmer said:

This intrigues me. Are there any games you would place highly on this list if not for the fact that they aren't on PSN?

Oh, absolutely!

I mean, for sure there are many games that predate the playstation trophy system that I still hold dear, which I would think would absolutely make a strong showing on the list - just off the top of my head:

Chronotrigger

Super Mario World

A Link to the Past 

Illusion of Gaia

Marble Madness

Kirby’s Dream Course

Mario Tennis 64

Goldeneye

Speedball 2

Earthbound

MarioKart

Mario Paint

would be contenders in the top 100 or so (and some VERY high!)…

…and a whole litany of SNES, NES and Megadrive games would certainly do well.

There’s also plenty PS1 and PS2 games that were not given trophies, or I didn’t replay new versions of, but I hold dear:

The Tenchu Games

Timesplitters 2 / Future Perfect

Driver

Stuntman

Dead Ball Zone

Shadow of Memories

No One Can Stop Mr Domino

Azure Dreams

Bushido Blade

Pandemonium and its sequel

just to name a few!

In terms of stuff that came out since trophies, but isn’t on PS though, I don’t play on PC and don’t have a Microsoft or Nintendo console, so most stuff I play that isn’t trophy-enabled would be mobile. There’s not a massive list of stuff that would be a real contender there, but for sure:

Device 6

Her Story

Monument Valley

Ridiculous Fishing

Desert Golf
Paint It Back

Letterpress

Threes

2048 (that actually came to PS as “Weben Blocks”, but it’s not a game I think I’d want anywhere but on a touchscreen)

…would all do well somewhere on the list.

To be honest - if I sat down for hours and just kept adding to these lists, probably all three of them would end up being at least 50-100 items long! 🤣

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I do, however, think The Artful Escape has the lead in a lot of other areas - the narrative, the audio and the pacing, for example. Both are light on gameplay, but compensate with narrative and visuals. It's not a blowout in any category - in all the areas The Artful Escape wins, Harold Halibut is still a strong contender, and vice-versa...
...but I do think in totality, the win has to go to The Artful Escape.

Huh. The review intrigued me, but seeing how I didn't enjoy the narrative of The Artful Escape at all, this is leavign me in doubt. I mean, that one had a story so commonplace, I last saw it in an insurance commercial. So, now I am intrigued but conflicted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shadaik said:

Huh. The review intrigued me, but seeing how I didn't enjoy the narrative of The Artful Escape at all, this is leavign me in doubt. I mean, that one had a story so commonplace, I last saw it in an insurance commercial. So, now I am intrigued but conflicted.

Fair enough- I’d say if you couldn’t find joy in The Artful Escape, then this thread and my reviews won’t be of much value to you TBH 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1