WIFI

CloudsOverSalem

The closer the better, but there's more to it than that. Other nearby routers, appliances, and dense building materials can cause interference. Having too many other wireless devices close by can also cause issues. The quality of the router is also a factor. Really all you can do is try it out and see what happens.

• Like 3

WiFi is generally worse that Ethernet, in the same way a wireless mouse is generally worse than a wired one.  The connection could be just fine 99% of the time, but you do run the risk of momentary drops in connection or slow-downs that could interfere with your gaming.  If you can plug it in, it would be better.

That being said, you may never experience a problem with your WiFi, and if you are not at a competitive level, who really cares?  It should work well enough.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CloudsOverSalem said:

Mine is 2.3 meters (7.5 feet) away from each other.

Is the distance close enough for a good connection for online gaming? Or is WIFI generally worse than Ethernet and should be avoided?

If you're 7.5 feet away from each other, go pick up any old inexpensive ethernet cable (or just ask around to friends/family if they have a spare) and connect them. Should be less than $20. In addition to the things mentioned above, you're essentially taking another device off the wireless network and making wireless better for everything else.

That said, plenty of people game just fine on a wireless connection and you probably won't notice much difference in-game, depending on the games you're playing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

If you're 7.5 feet away from each other, go pick up any old inexpensive ethernet cable (or just ask around to friends/family if they have a spare) and connect them. Should be less than $20. In addition to the things mentioned above, you're essentially taking another device off the wireless network and making wireless better for everything else.

That said, plenty of people game just fine on a wireless connection and you probably won't notice much difference in-game, depending on the games you're playing.

Definitely this! Can run the cable along skirting board to keep it tidy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

plenty of people game just fine on a wireless connection and you probably won't notice much difference in-game, depending on the games you're playing.

I'm about 15 feet from my router, and even through a wall the connection is great. If you're within 3 meters, just rearrange your setup so your router is near your TV/console and go the cable route.

1 hour ago, CloudsOverSalem said:

Hello there!

I heard one of the factor for reliability and speed for internet connection is the distance between the console and the router. Mine is 2.3 meters (7.5 feet) away from each other.

Is the distance close enough for a good connection for online gaming? Or is WIFI generally worse than Ethernet and should be avoided?

Thanks!

WIFI will most likely (99%+) be fine in this case.  Generally you won't be able to tell the difference between WIFI and Ethernet unless you're too far away from the router to get a good signal.  I've had my PS4 connected via WIFI since I got it set up (early 2015) without any issue so far.  Cords can be a real pain depending on your setup.

• Like 1

If it's closer the connection will obviously be better but no matter how close it is, it just won't beat a solid wired connection so if you can, get an ethernet cable and go wired, even if you don't play online a lot, it's just generally a more reliable and faster connection for downloading and updating games.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaivRules said:

TBH, having just one more cable running only 7.5 feet across the room will make me feel fussy, lol.

11 hours ago, Helyx said:

I'm about 15 feet from my router, and even through a wall the connection is great...

11 hours ago, dmland12 said:

I've had my PS4 connected via WIFI since I got it set up (early 2015) without any issue so far...

Do you guys have any experience to share with online gaming via a WIFI connection?

47 minutes ago, CloudsOverSalem said:

Do you guys have any experience to share with online gaming via a WIFI connection?

My only issues come around 11pm when Spectrum throttles my bandwidth for about 20 minutes. Other than that, you'd never even know I was wireless. Keep in mind that I've been in networking since the mid-90s, so my home network is optimized to work for me.

2 hours ago, CloudsOverSalem said:

TBH, having just one more cable running only 7.5 feet across the room will make me feel fussy, lol.

Sounds like you’ve ruled out even considering a cable then. Okay, on to the router. 

What model router do you have and do you have access to the settings for it? Is it an 802.11ac router or newer? If it’s an ac or wifi6 router, you will have no issues with the router being that close and it should have relatively good device and frequency management so long as it’s not overwhelmed with managing other devices.

You’ll also only be introducing minimal lag that should be imperceptible at a distance of less than 8 feet. 

Are there specific online games you’re concerned about? A ping time you’re looking to maintain?

Seems like you’ve already had this setup for a bit, has anything already come up that’s concerned you?

You won’t get a much better response than “You'll be fine.” without discussing things in a bit more detail than have been posted here. 

It's pretty difficult to give you any specific answer with the little details you have shared. 

From my own experience.. I've played online games over WiFi with the router being 20m (~65 feet) away from my console with no problems whatsoever, even with two closed doors in-between. However, it depends on the game. I had no issues with Divinity: Original Sin 2, Alienation, Diablo III, to name a few.  

However, for games that require more precision and good player coordination, such as Warhammer: Vermintide 2, I usually use a cable (I use a PLC adapter for that purpose). 

What games are we talking about in your case? 

2 hours ago, CloudsOverSalem said:

Nothing really comes to mind.  Once you have something setup that's stable you don't really need to think about it.

I generally play more single player than multiplayer, but I've had some runs of playing mostly multiplayer at times.  Recently, I played the multiplayer for Star Wars: Squadrons (129 matches of dogfight and 61 matches of fleet battles) and boosted the multiplayer for Injustice (200+ matches).  Had a couple dropped matches on Star Wars, but I think it was their servers at fault, since after I got error messages about the game data not matching when trying to matchmake that cleared up shortly after (no idea why).  Didn't notice any lag.

If you want to try WIFI, I think you should.  

basically my display is switch, ps5 is standing beside it, my 65" tv beside them, then the routers just behind poking out of the corner of right side tv. so its behind but I can still see what lights are on if I lean to check.  Also i think i have an ethernet cable to both my ps4 pro and ps5 but I think both are wireless on the 5g? 

never really had issues 

8 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Sounds like you’ve ruled out even considering a cable then. Okay, on to the router. 

What model router do you have and do you have access to the settings for it? Is it an 802.11ac router or newer? If it’s an ac or wifi6 router, you will have no issues with the router being that close and it should have relatively good device and frequency management so long as it’s not overwhelmed with managing other devices.

You’ll also only be introducing minimal lag that should be imperceptible at a distance of less than 8 feet. 

Are there specific online games you’re concerned about? A ping time you’re looking to maintain?

Seems like you’ve already had this setup for a bit, has anything already come up that’s concerned you?

You won’t get a much better response than “You'll be fine.” without discussing things in a bit more detail than have been posted here. 

Thanks.

I have an AC router.

I haven't been online gaming for years and wanted to get back to it when the new Battlefield game is being released later this year. So a ping of <= 20 would be nice.

I've also heard really good things about Chivalry 2 and might give it a try.

Download speed on the PS5 so far has been very fast with my 100mb connection.

Most people here seem to agree that I shouldn't have much, or any problems at all with my WIFI. I'm just gonna give it a try, and if it sucks, I'm just gonna have to go with an ethernet cord. Because I will definitely not be upgrading my router, lol.

8 hours ago, Arcesius said:

It's pretty difficult to give you any specific answer with the little details you have shared. 

From my own experience.. I've played online games over WiFi with the router being 20m (~65 feet) away from my console with no problems whatsoever, even with two closed doors in-between. However, it depends on the game. I had no issues with Divinity: Original Sin 2, Alienation, Diablo III, to name a few.  

However, for games that require more precision and good player coordination, such as Warhammer: Vermintide 2, I usually use a cable (I use a PLC adapter for that purpose). 

What games are we talking about in your case? 

The new Battlefield 2042. And maybe Chivalry 2.

My router is from 2016 (it's an ac router).

I will eventually switch to ethernet if come to find out that my setup is not suited for playing competitive online shooters.

8 hours ago, dmland12 said:

Nothing really comes to mind.  Once you have something setup that's stable you don't really need to think about it.

I generally play more single player than multiplayer, but I've had some runs of playing mostly multiplayer at times.  Recently, I played the multiplayer for Star Wars: Squadrons (129 matches of dogfight and 61 matches of fleet battles) and boosted the multiplayer for Injustice (200+ matches).  Had a couple dropped matches on Star Wars, but I think it was their servers at fault, since after I got error messages about the game data not matching when trying to matchmake that cleared up shortly after (no idea why).  Didn't notice any lag.

If you want to try WIFI, I think you should.  

Sounds promising ?

8 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Im sure someone already mentioned that ethernet is better. And yeah it probably is. But what it comes down to is are you having issues with wifi, if not, then its good, just go with that. If you have issues then move it a little closer till its good, if you cant move it then probably consider ethernet or you could try adding a wifi extender. Which will boost performance. But probably more costly than a cable. But what really matters is are you having issues with wifi, if not, your finnne. 1f605.png

Yeah, download speed on the PS5 is pretty stable. No issues at all! And no problems while using the internet on my other devices either.