[Beta] PS5 Software Update 2.0-04.00.00 (Vertical Trophy Lists Are Back!!!)

Maxie_M0us3

I'm happy to hear about the SSD expansion stuff, but I am also - crucially - a moron.

Anyone who is tech savvy here able to confirm whether this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/addlink-4900MB-Write-3600MB-Internal/dp/B08YNNLCKJ/ref=sr_1_30?dchild=1&keywords=ssd%2B4tb%2Binternal%2Bhard%2Bdrive%2BM.2&qid=1627626908&refinements=p_36%3A428448031&rnid=428432031&s=computers&sr=1-30&th=1

would be compatible with the specs they state above, or if not, give an indication of which drives are compatible with what they are outlining here?

25 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm happy to hear about the SSD expansion stuff, but I am also - crucially - a moron.

Anyone who is tech savvy here able to confirm whether this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/addlink-4900MB-Write-3600MB-Internal/dp/B08YNNLCKJ/ref=sr_1_30?dchild=1&keywords=ssd%2B4tb%2Binternal%2Bhard%2Bdrive%2BM.2&qid=1627626908&refinements=p_36%3A428448031&rnid=428432031&s=computers&sr=1-30&th=1

would be compatible with the specs they state above, or if not, give an indication of which drives are compatible with what they are outlining here?

it ticks all the boxes so yes it should be fine.

Edit: the important bits " PCle 4.0 M.2 SSDS with a capacity of 250 GB minimum and 4 TB maximum"

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Fr_0zt said:

Vertical trophies HYPE!!! 

For me it's the biggest one because I stopped using the horizontal trophy view. It's so inconvenient, instead I use Psnprofiles trophy list. 

And where do we insert an M2 drive?

Edited by xsedavlasx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

it ticks all the boxes so yes it should be fine.

Edit: the important bits " PCle 4.0 M.2 SSDS with a capacity of 250 GB minimum and 4 TB maximum"

There are a few caveats besides that.

First, they recommend: "Sequential read speed: 5,500MB/s or faster is recommended"

So this one is quite slower.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

There are plenty of M.2 PCIe x4 Gen 4 drives that are under 5500 MB/s read speeds, so look out for that.

Second, they also recommend using a heatsink with a drive. It is because m.2 drives can throttle in a similar way any CPU/GPU does. If the temperature becomes too high, it drops the speed to prevent overheating and potential damage. If it is too hot for a long time some drives can drop speeds to the same level as regular SATA SSD (~500 MB/s). 

And so from that comes a small problem of physical size. Whether you buy a drive with a heatsink pre installed or buy it separately, you should watch out for: 

"Total size including cooling structure:
In millimeters: smaller than 110mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 11.25mm (H).
In inches: smaller than 4.33in (L) x 0.984 in (W) x 0.442in (H). "

Maybe some manufacturers will eventually sell drives marked as "PS5 Drive" or "PS5 compatible" which will make life a bit easier but probably more expensive. Anyway I would recommend to wait until OS update is released and a few tests with different drives (outside/within recommended specs) and different PS5 games are published. As for now you can read this article from Digital Foundry where they explain the specs and currently best drive options.

Personally I use external HDD for all my PS4 games. Load times are basically the same as on my PS4 Pro with SATA SSD. And because I usually play only one or two games at the same time, I have a lot of free space on my internal drive.    

Edited by WildeNick
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, WildeNick said:

There are a few caveats besides that.

First, they also recommend: "Sequential read speed: 5,500MB/s or faster is recommended"

So this one is quite slower.

There are plenty also of M.2 PCIe x4 Gen 4 drives that are under 5500 MB/s read speeds, so look out for that.

Second, they also recommend using a heatsink with a drive. It is because that m.2 drives can throttle in a similar way any CPU/GPU does. If the temperature becomes too high, it drops the speed to prevent overheating and potential damage. If it is too hot for a long time some drives can drop speeds to the same level as regular SATA SSD (~500 MB/s). 

And so from that comes a small problem of physical size. Whether you buy a drive with a heatsink pre installed or buy it separately, you should watch out for: 

"Total size including cooling structure:
In millimeters: smaller than 110mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 11.25mm (H).
In inches: smaller than 4.33in (L) x 0.984 in (W) x 0.442in (H). "

Cheers min - that's getting a little out of my realm of understanding, but I get the gist, and appreciate the heads up.

Maybe some manufacturers will eventually sell drives marked as "PS5 Drive" or "PS5 compatible" which will make life a bit easier but probably more expensive. Anyway I would recommend to wait until OS update is released and a few tests with different drives (outside/within recommended specs) and different PS5 games are published. As for now you can read this article from Digital Foundry where they explain the specs and currently best drive options.

think this is sound advice - at the moment all I'm doing is adding different ones to an amazon wishlist, so I can compare prices etc. once this kind of info comes out ?

Personally I use external HDD for all my PS4 games. Load times are basically the same as on my PS4 Pro with SATA SSD. And because I usually play only one or two games at the same time, I have a lot of free space on my internal drive.    

Yeah, I'm basically the same here - just unplugged my external PS4 drive and plugged it right into the PS5 when I got one, which has been fine for the most part - I just shuttle stuff back and forth as I'm playing it... though twice now I have had some issues with that: both The Last of Us II and Mass Effect Andromeda transferred across seemingly okay to the PS5 internal, but then were unable to properly install the game updates, and I had to delete them, then download again directly to the PS5 internal, which was a bit of a pain in the butt!

Really, having a massive 4TB SSD in the PS5 just seems like the lazy-man's way of never having to think about what I want to play on any given day - and I am, if nothing else, a lazy man! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

sad to see nothing about Backwards compatibility improvements like auto VSync, Auto x16 AF, SSD perf access, texture streaming issues solved like with Shadow Of The Colossus/better compatibility etc.

looks like BC is something they put in because ppl asked for it and will forget about it, unlike MS which constantly improves on it

Seems like a pretty good update.

I have no need for an extra HDD, the current PS5 capacity is enough for my needs and even now I feel like I have way too many games installed. This might change in the future when games take more space but I think I don't have to worry about that for at least a year or two.

• Like 1

I don’t need an extra solid state at all yet. Still 250-300gb free at almost all times. I never hold on to beat games. And I have a few I could beat to clear space I just haven’t had the time. (Rock band 4 and all my dlc takes up 90.. actually almost 100gb now lol. That won’t be deleted.)

With that said it’s very cool to have options! :)

Very happy with vertical trophy list. Hated the horizontal. Curious to go through and see everything else. 

Sad there’s still no folders so I can download the rest of the jackbox games and put them in one. I’ll just keep the one with Trivia murder party 2 and will make that one work for now lol.

Edited by Dangisuckatgamin

On 29-7-2021 at 6:03 PM, HondaHoe said:

nice QoL improvements 

I'm especially pleased about the return of vertical trophy lists

should've never been horizontal in the first place 

Would be nice if they made it optional so people can just choose to orient their trophies either horizontally or vertically. 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2021 at 6:38 PM, leandrorhcp said:

So apparently this is how the new trophy list looks:

E7fJz3kXMAAIzvq

Good but the ps4 one is still better. Would've been better if they swapped the trophy rarity with the description.

On 7/30/2021 at 3:06 PM, FaLLeN_717 said:

Can we backup our saves to USB?

Nope. Maybe one day.

Edited by XXIIlII
  • Like 1