Destructor-8's Ultimate Racing Challenge

Destructor-8

15 hours ago, Destructor-8 said:

Lc628ba.png

Radial-G: Racing Revolved (Tier 2)

Community rating - N/A

Personal rating - 8/10

Enjoyment - 6/10

I'm just going to post a few things in case anyone goes for this game, although it's not very popular on this site & a lot tougher than I expected. It's pretty short, probably the shortest racer I've played. The thing is whilst most of the game is quite easy, there a few events that are insanely difficult & I don't really know how I did the last one. The game is all about maintaining speed through the use of boost that is converted via your ship shields & boost pads that are plentiful. There are also many gates that you can go into that will take your speed away & this can be really annoying especially if on a good run. There isn't any rubber banding with the AI & whilst most of the time not having rubber banding is a good thing, it's not on a game like this since the AI can get ahead whilst racing to perfection. The game requires it to be mastered eventually for the hardest events, which are a hotlap & the final boss race. The game also looks a lot better than it does in the videos just to mention lol.

This is one of my attempts on the hotlap, which is the hardest thing in the game. I almost got it on this run & it was a pretty good one, but as you can see I made a mistake right at the finish.

Reveal hidden contents

This is the successful run that hardly anyone out of a few thousand were able to do. You need to be very close to the world record to do this. The main thing is to really conserve your boost & only use it at the right time whilst trying to get through the gates perfectly.

Reveal hidden contents

This is the final boss race & I don't really know how I did it except for getting really lucky on it. You just have to hit every boost pad you can & avoid the gates, although I didn't manage to do this consistently. I got really lucky with the gates on the last part so this is one is definitely tough.

Reveal hidden contents

I was able to also get a world record on the first lap in the videos as a nice bonus. This is how you grind XP when everything else in the game is done & it's the fastest way to grind XP in general. It was nice to get this world record lap considering a few thousand people played this.

Reveal hidden contents

The game overall was alright & as I mentioned earlier it looks a bit better than the videos show. If anyone does game this in the future then I hope this will be of some help, otherwise I'm happy to help out although a few people on this site have already given some great advice.

Oh, you have got to slow down.  You are getting ppl so fired up!  Do it for your country!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Nice work on Radial-G. I kinda got vibes from F-Zero and WipEout by looking at its gameplay. I might pick this one up if I spot it during a sale.

Also, I probably forgot to say it before, but your checklist here is responsible for making me add a bunch of racing games to my wishlist that I was not aware of before, lol. xD

• Like 3

Another 100%, and the fastest completion! Nice work man, you're on fire! When you mentioned maintaining speed via your boosts, it reminded me a ton of CTR.
Interestingly enough, the cylindrical track design reminds me of Sonic Lost World, a platforming game of all things! ? It's cool to see how different genres subconsciously resonate similar ideas, even though they can be portrayed through different mediums.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 1:32 AM, kfree7 said:

Oh, you have got to slow down.  You are getting ppl so fired up!  Do it for your country!!!!!!!!

I had a few short games to do so it's nice to be able to finally get around to them.

On 24/09/2021 at 2:22 AM, ShinVeNNoM said:

Good luck on your journey! :)

I'll keep an eye on your progress and reviews. It's always interesting.

Take care.

Thanks, I got quite a lot of games to get through so will see what I can do.

On 24/09/2021 at 3:36 AM, Honor_Hand said:

Nice work on Radial-G. I kinda got vibes from F-Zero and WipEout by looking at its gameplay. I might pick this one up if I spot it during a sale.

Also, I probably forgot to say it before, but your checklist here is responsible for making me add a bunch of racing games to my wishlist that I was not aware of before, lol. xD

Yeah it seemed similar & I waited for it to go on sale for a long time but it didn't ever seem to. I'm not sure if it will go on sale though, maybe one day but was worth trying out. Oh I remember you got quite a few games recently but yeah I've found it interesting to try out games that I wouldn't normally try out.

On 24/09/2021 at 7:42 AM, Arcesius said:

Talk about an obscure racer ? Congrats on finishing, and your #1 fastest achiever spot! 

Luckily you mentioned that the game looks better than shown in the videos.. I was wondering if this was an old PS3 game or so... ?

Cheers & yeah was able to get that as a bonus it seems. Yeah after I posted & watched the videos back I realised that it didn't look very good but it seemed to look better when playing it.

1 hour ago, Shrooba said:

Another 100%, and the fastest completion! Nice work man, you're on fire! When you mentioned maintaining speed via your boosts, it reminded me a ton of CTR.
Interestingly enough, the cylindrical track design reminds me of Sonic Lost World, a platforming game of all things! ? It's cool to see how different genres subconsciously resonate similar ideas, even though they can be portrayed through different mediums.

Cheers dude, was good to get it done & just went for it. Yeah you have to pretty much maintain as much speed as you can throughout & yeah it was interesting the way the game was made around that. That's an interesting point you make.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Destructor-8 said:

I haven't tried any other special events yet though so I might do those after depending how long those take.

Given what you have already completed, they shouldn't pose too much problem. You certainly shouldn't be looking at multiple hours per challenge. There are quite a few events to get through if you do all of the AMG and Grand Tour events. I don't remember any of the other special events having anything particularly difficult in them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destructor-8 said:

& maybe get the last of my GT Sport wins around the same time, although it depends if there's a good week for races that I'll enjoy so that could change. I'm just gonna clear up some of GT Sport over the next few days before I complete some games

Doing GT Sport is a good idea. ? Usually there's a trend of GT games shutting down around half a year when a new release comes out, such as GT5 and GT6, so if GT7 comes out in March, then it could theoretically potentially shut down around August-October 2022. It's not confirmed of course, but it's better to be safe when it comes to online stuff. You've got plenty of the wins done and the 65 poles as well, I'm very confident you'll get it done mate. ?

After that, you've got the dreadful level 50 grind! ? Make sure to have some music or podcasts readily available; it gets repetitive really quick.

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 2

Hey man, good luck with Suzuka on GT5. I know that you'll have that one mastered in no time with that skill you have. :D

As for the other special events in GT5, most of them are pretty tame in comparison to the Red Bull X Challenge. As @barra333 said above, the ones that stick out the most in terms of difficulty are the Grand Tour and AMG events. And even then, it's only a couple of the races there that are particularly tricky, like the Eiger Nordwand event with the Alfa Romeo, the Toscana tarmac event on the Lamborghini; and in the case of the AMG event, the full track time trial on the Nürburgring under wet conditions with the Mercedes SLS. But again, they aren't that bad. I remember struggling a bit with some of the NASCAR races too but everything else shouldn't pose much of a threat for you.

Gran Turismo Sport, you guys just reminded me of that one... Shit, I hate games with heavy online trophies... ?

• Like 2

On 01/10/2021 at 3:29 PM, barra333 said:

Given what you have already completed, they shouldn't pose too much problem. You certainly shouldn't be looking at multiple hours per challenge. There are quite a few events to get through if you do all of the AMG and Grand Tour events. I don't remember any of the other special events having anything particularly difficult in them.

Nice I appreciate that as quite a few others have said the same. I'll still go into those expecting to spend quite a bit of time on each one, but I'm making sure I do the hardest first before I go to the easier ones.

On 01/10/2021 at 4:20 PM, Shrooba said:

Doing GT Sport is a good idea. ? Usually there's a trend of GT games shutting down around half a year when a new release comes out, such as GT5 and GT6, so if GT7 comes out in March, then it could theoretically potentially shut down around August-October 2022. It's not confirmed of course, but it's better to be safe when it comes to online stuff. You've got plenty of the wins done and the 65 poles as well, I'm very confident you'll get it done mate. ?

After that, you've got the dreadful level 50 grind! ? Make sure to have some music or podcasts readily available; it gets repetitive really quick.

Yeah I've been on it this week & got quite a few in the last few days. I want to get it out the way as it's one of the ones I haven't got much to do in except the grind lol. Yeah I will make sure to do that. I think I will do the grind after Flatout since that will take a lot to get through so it'll be something to just play after. I will be getting back to Flatout soon after a few more things are done.

On 01/10/2021 at 5:32 PM, Honor_Hand said:

Hey man, good luck with Suzuka on GT5. I know that you'll have that one mastered in no time with that skill you have. :D

As for the other special events in GT5, most of them are pretty tame in comparison to the Red Bull X Challenge. As @barra333 said above, the ones that stick out the most in terms of difficulty are the Grand Tour and AMG events. And even then, it's only a couple of the races there that are particularly tricky, like the Eiger Nordwand event with the Alfa Romeo, the Toscana tarmac event on the Lamborghini; and in the case of the AMG event, the full track time trial on the Nürburgring under wet conditions with the Mercedes SLS. But again, they aren't that bad. I remember struggling a bit with some of the NASCAR races too but everything else shouldn't pose much of a threat for you.

Gran Turismo Sport, you guys just reminded me of that one... Shit, I hate games with heavy online trophies... ?

Yeah, I know how I'm going to go into it as the muscle memory is there now with the car. I think having spent so much time on the other one along with the muscle memory that it could be done much faster, however I'm going to assume it will still take a lot. I have reflexes that are much faster than required so it won't take too long to get used to again. I now know the reflexes that I have will be more than enough to get it done as when I started I found the car easier to use than I expected.

Yeah GT Sport is a lot of effort even more so than Trackmania now I think of it. I know Trackmania is harder & I'm quite still quite proud of it but GT Sport takes a lot more to get through so I think I'll be more proud of this one. I don't need too much more in this game.

On 01/10/2021 at 6:03 PM, barra333 said:

The Tucsan Grand Tour event sticks in my mind for being the toughest non-Vettel event. The Nurburgring ones were relatively easy IF you know the Nurburgring well. If you don't know it well, then they would be quite difficult. 

Yeah, I think I know the one. I'll have a go at it soon & put a few hrs into it.

On 08/10/2021 at 6:03 AM, Himiko Toga said:

I love your presentation work. I already know your a racing gamer just like me. Impressive work :)

Tell me this. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled. How did you planned out when going for the platinum? I can tell Dragon Mines Oxide's Time Trial must of fuck you over?

Thanks, I still got a lot of stuff to do so will keep trying to do the best that I can. I went into it to just have fun & started on hard adventure however I quickly found out that it wasn't as easy I expected so started again since I had to get better. I did hard adventure very quickly after I got the time trials done. Yeah that was the hardest one & it took quite a few hrs to do. I have done it a few times since then but I still remember it taking awhile to do.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 4

Funny enough, I've thought about going for GT Sport. Been getting into simulators a lot recently.  Thanks for writing this up; I'll definitely come to you if I have any questions.

2 hours ago, Destructor-8 said:

I'm going to try to go for Armored Core: Verdict Day quite soon @CelestialRequiem & @Deadly_Ha_Ha so I will try to get that game sometime. It would be amazing to hopefully complete Armored Core: Verdict Day & it sounds quite hard as you said so I'll see how I go on it. 

You got this. I would recommend looking for a friend who is also interested in pursuing it. Makes the game much more approachable. That's something that is going to be mentioned in the guide.

You can of course call onto me if a specific mission (or missions) is/are giving you trouble. 

• Like 1

Congrats on the wins! 

I’m glad to read more positive words on GT Sport. Despite it being so heavily online based it’s still a lot of fun! As with any online racing game, all you have to do is make it cleanly through Turn 1.. haha 

Good luck with the grind to 50, it takes an age!

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 6:59 PM, CelestialRequiem said:

Funny enough, I've thought about going for GT Sport. Been getting into simulators a lot recently.  Thanks for writing this up; I'll definitely come to you if I have any questions.

You got this. I would recommend looking for a friend who is also interested in pursuing it. Makes the game much more approachable. That's something that is going to be mentioned in the guide.

You can of course call onto me if a specific mission (or missions) is/are giving you trouble. 

Yeah it's probably the best one to get into & go for especially at the moment since it's still the most popular one by quite a way. The quality of the game along with the ease of getting into it makes it the best all round. Yeah thanks for that as I've been thinking of doing it more since it was mentioned recently & since Armored Core: Verdict Day is the only one currently possible, it would be nice to finish at least one of the games. I hope there is another one eventually as I think you both said that there could be another. I think this is the longest there hasn't been a new game since Armored Core: Verdict Day was the last one that came out.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:17 PM, Eqill5 said:

Congrats on the wins! 

I’m glad to read more positive words on GT Sport. Despite it being so heavily online based it’s still a lot of fun! As with any online racing game, all you have to do is make it cleanly through Turn 1.. haha 

Good luck with the grind to 50, it takes an age!

Thanks! I'm glad I came back to it as I've made progress on many games but decided that I need to start finishing some especially the harder ones that I'm part of the way through including this one. I'm usually not into big online focused games however since the game itself is fantastic & handles really well, it was well worth going for. It's definitely one of the best racers in recent times. I haven't been playing sims for too long but by playing these you really do develop skill at a much faster rate overall. I always used to think that sims were not fun as racing games since I used to only play arcade racers plus those are generally easier to get into & fun all the time. The thing is though is that the reward is much higher after enough time has been put in to get better & that isn't always the case with all arcade racers except for some here & there. Yes that first part of the race always decided it most of the time & it can either go for or against you. Thanks again, I will come back & finish it off once I finish Dirt Rally 2.0 off assuming I can get through that one. I think Dirt Rally 2.0 is the only one currently that I'm still hoping that I can eventually do. I'm glad that game is as good as it is lol. That is the only game where I'm yet to do the hardest part of the game.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 1

I'll mirror CR's sentiments that I think this is a great time to go for the plat because when the servers get announced to be closing you will have a more difficult time getting the plat. The more players that are active the more difficult it'll be to do sorties and fight World Bosses. CR and I will be working to get the guide out ASAP and are also here to offer you or anyone else help as needed. It's a terrific game and I'd sooner see it get additional appreciation 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I'll mirror CR's sentiments that I think this is a great time to go for the plat because when the servers get announced to be closing you will have a more difficult time getting the plat. The more players that are active the more difficult it'll be to do sorties and fight World Bosses. CR and I will be working to get the guide out ASAP and are also here to offer you or anyone else help as needed. It's a terrific game and I'd sooner see it get additional appreciation 

Yeah that's true, it's a game that I should do sooner rather than later so I'll try to get it as soon as I can & go from there.

I saw you get motivated to get GT Sport done with all the trophies you were getting in it. I've been meaning to go back to the challenges and circuit experiences to see how much I can beat my old times by, I think it would be several seconds for most of them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 8:05 PM, stpatty said:

I saw you get motivated to get GT Sport done with all the trophies you were getting in it. I've been meaning to go back to the challenges and circuit experiences to see how much I can beat my old times by, I think it would be several seconds for most of them.

I'm quite late on this but yeah I think a seeing a few of you guys finish it off helped with the motivation & I just went for it that week. I'll be coming back to it soon to get the rest done although it will take quite awhile. I saw some of your times on it & you have some pretty insane times but I'm not really surprised since you are a high level player on the game. It's always nice to go back for improvement though so I expect it'd be pretty fun. I'll be doing an update here now.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Destructor-8 said:

I'm quite late on this but yeah I think a seeing a few of you guys finish it off helped with the motivation & I just went for it that week. I'll be coming back to it soon to get the rest done although it will take quite awhile. I saw some of your times on it & you have some pretty insane times but I'm not really surprised since you are a high level player on the game. It's always nice to go back for improvement though so I expect it'd be pretty fun. I'll be doing an update here now.

I actually did go back and try the circuit experiences again:

Spoiler

Kyoto Driving Park - Miyabi (Audi TT Cup Gr.4) 41.017 - 40.539 (2 attempts)
Kyoto Driving Park - Yamagiwa (Mitsubishi Lancer Gr.3) 1:40.698 - 1:36.363
Brands Hatch (Audi R8 Gr.3) 1:26.617 - 1:24.167 (2 attempts)
Interlagos (Nissan GT-R Gr.3) 1:36.708 - 1:33.465
Streets of Willow Springs (Ford Mustang Gr.4) 1:18.129 - 1:14.478 (2 attempts)
Horse Thief Mile (Nissan GT-R Gr.4) 54.808 - 53.727 (4 attempts)
Willow Springs (Chevrolet Corvette Gr.3) 1:16.508 - 1:15.701
Nurburgring GP (Mercedes AMG Gr.3) 2:01.272 - 1:58.384
Tokyo East Outer Loop (BMW Z4 Gr.3) 2:05.843 - 2:03.151
Northern Isle Speedway (Mercedes SLS Gr.4) 14.188 - 14.836 (2 attempts) (uhhh)
Blue Moon Bay (Ford Mustang Gr.3) 43.976 - 43.897
BB Raceway (Hyundai Genesis Gr.3) 54.133 - 54.762 (many attempts) (alternate account did 53.744)
Tokyo Central Outer Loop (Subaru WRX Gr.3) 1:16.676 - 1:15.421 (2 attempts)
Suzuka (Honda NSX Gr.3) 2:05.604 - 2:02.681
Lago Maggiore (Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.3) 2:03.406 - 1:58.751
Dragon Trail Seaside (Jaguar F-type Gr.3) 1:44.031 - 1:39.374
Bathurst (McLaren 650S Gr.3) 2:12.650 - 2:07.538
Alsace (Renault R.S.01 Gr.3) 1:57.556 - 1:53.721
Monza (Ferrari 458 Gr.3) 1:51.759 - 1:49.484
Tsukuba (Mitsibishi Lancer Gr.4) 58.561 - 57.934 (2 attempts)
Dragon Trail Gardens (Peugeot RCZ Gr.3) 1:35.523 - 1:33.927
Fuji (Toyota Supra Gr.3) 1:43.427 - 1:39.411
Red Bull Ring (Aston Martin Vantage Gr.3) 1:34.339 - 1:31.669
St. Croix C (Citroen Gr.3) 3:31.887 - 3:25.964
Catalunya (Lamborghini Huracan Gr.3) 1:49.886 - 1:47.939
Tokyo South Inner Loop (Mazda Atenza Gr.3) 2:01.394 - 2:00.497
Autopolis (Lexus RC F Gr.3) 1:50.327 - 1:49.133
Goodwood (Aston Martin Vantage Gr.4) 1:18.252 - 1:17.252 (3 attempts)
Spa (Porsche 911 Gr.3) 2:22.399 - 2:21.963
Sardegna A (Peugeot VGT Gr.3) 1:44.106 - 1:42.282
Laguna Seca (Dodge Viper Gr.3) 1:24.785 - 1:23.070
Circuit de la Sarthe (Porsche 919 Gr.1) 3:32.912 - 3:26.422
Nordschleife (BMW M6 Gr.3) 6:43.242 - 6:45.004 (I think I did this recently - going by my trophy screenshots, my original time was 6:52.832)

Summary: Massive improvement, everywhere.

• Like 1

Wow! Some serious chunks of time off a lot of those records. I would have to assume that some of the previous times were scruffy laps just good enough for gold that you could have improved at the time? I know I had off-track excursions and still got gold on some mission challenges.

• Like 1