Destructor-8's Ultimate Racing Challenge

Destructor-8

Yo, Dyad. I remember I started that one a long time ago on the PS3 but never finished it. I liked the game but man, was it trippy. :dance: I never really dove too deep into it at the time. At first, it does look as if it was a rhythm game but it plays more like a racing game than anything else. You have to really master the game's mechanics as they are introduced to you on each of the levels to be able to beat the requirements for the trophy levels. It was fun, I liked the experience. Some of the levels I tried were easy, but then there were others that ramped up the difficulty considerably. I remember I got frustrated with it at a certain point. Can't remember exactly why I dropped it, though. :hmm:

And yeah, that comparison to Wipeout's Zone Mode is way off. It may look nearly as trippy for a racing game but the gameplay fundamentals are entirely different from one another. The skill level required for one doesn't necessarily carry to the other as well.

Anyway, nice to see you booting and playing this one. ^_^ Will look forward to hearing more about your progress on it. Who knows, maybe it'll motivate me enough to go back to mine one of these days, lol.  xD

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first time in a real long time that I've checked out this thread.

Enjoyed reading your accomplishments. Since I'm currently playing the game, I think you're going to enjoy Gran Turismo 6. Not insanely hard like Assetto Corsa, but a fair amount of challenge. The S license tests and the Senna DLC will test your mettle and skill. Let me just tell you, the Senna DLC is very hard.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2022 at 7:17 PM, Honor_Hand said:

Yo, Dyad. I remember I started that one a long time ago on the PS3 but never finished it. I liked the game but man, was it trippy. :dance: I never really dove too deep into it at the time. At first, it does look as if it was a rhythm game but it plays more like a racing game than anything else. You have to really master the game's mechanics as they are introduced to you on each of the levels to be able to beat the requirements for the trophy levels. It was fun, I liked the experience. Some of the levels I tried were easy, but then there were others that ramped up the difficulty considerably. I remember I got frustrated with it at a certain point. Can't remember exactly why I dropped it, though. :hmm:

And yeah, that comparison to Wipeout's Zone Mode is way off. It may look nearly as trippy for a racing game but the gameplay fundamentals are entirely different from one another. The skill level required for one doesn't necessarily carry to the other as well.

Anyway, nice to see you booting and playing this one. ^_^ Will look forward to hearing more about your progress on it. Who knows, maybe it'll motivate me enough to go back to mine one of these days, lol.  xD

Yeah exactly, it's a pretty unique game where you have to know what you are doing. I did have times where I got levels done without expecting anything but then some of the later levels required a lot of practice. It did have a few moments where it was incredibly frustrating so it's quite an intense game at times. I read quite a lot about the Wipeout Zone mode comparisons but I can say now that it's nothing like it. The only thing similar to Wipeout is the fact that the game can get pretty fast & that's it. The Zone mode requires a completely different skillset even if both look somewhat the same.

Cheers! I did actually finish it awhile ago. I'm still going to update the post to make it more detailed over time so hopefully it's of some help to you. I also still have a few other reviews to do so I have more coming. I finished both Blur & Split/Second recently so I have to get around to those. I know you really like Blur so I'm sure you'll like to read that one. I'm not sure if you did Split/Second but that's to come as well. I'm about to start Gran Turismo 7 since I've heard that the legendary cars are back again so will be on this for the time being.

On 01/05/2022 at 4:48 AM, kevao97 said:

One of my favorite PS3 games. I love its colors and eccentricity!

Yeah it's a pretty cool game. It was good to try it out. I saw your scores in it as I went through it. You have some really high ones.

On 15/05/2022 at 2:12 AM, AJ_Radio said:

This is the first time in a real long time that I've checked out this thread.

Enjoyed reading your accomplishments. Since I'm currently playing the game, I think you're going to enjoy Gran Turismo 6. Not insanely hard like Assetto Corsa, but a fair amount of challenge. The S license tests and the Senna DLC will test your mettle and skill. Let me just tell you, the Senna DLC is very hard.

Thanks! I've finished a few more games recently so I have quite a bit to do here. I saw that you started Gran Turismo 6 recently so I assume you have been making good progress on it. I'm going to get around to it very soon especially since I'm about to start Gran Turismo 7 today as the legendary cars are going to be available again. Yeah I have heard that there are a few challenging events within Gran Turismo 6 so I'm looking forward to it. I'm interested in what you think of it.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 2

I've been waiting for your full review on Dyad my friend haha, I know you might be busy making progress on your games but I hope you didn't give up on your idea about going through the hardest and most time consuming levels like you planned to ? Besides that, it's nice to see you're still going strong on your backlog and I'm definitely keeping an eye on your progress as well. Cheers ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2022 at 6:44 PM, Destructor-8 said:

The game is a tunnel based puzzle racer that works like an auto runner since the object that you control is always going through a circular tube kind of level which as I mentioned earlier varies in complexity.

I have never heard of a game quite like this. That was a really interesting read! Probably the closest game I've played would be Music Racer but then i's probably nothing like that actually lol 

Gonna have to take a look in more detail at it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is (I believe) my first time checking your thread.  Looking good!  You have a lot of respectable racing platinums under your belt.  I've heard that Dyad in particular can be extremely challenging, so well done on that one!

Racing isn't a genre that I personally have spent too much time on.  I did plat Motorstorm Apocalypse and Little Big Planet Karting, although they're considered to be pretty easy.  I will be playing NFS 2015 soon, but probably won't bother with the Prestige stuff.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how long ago I was mentioned in this thread, but I just got a notification haha. I have lurked your thread many times, but I don't think I've commented, so just wanted to say your list is inspiring and has encouraged me to get back to writing mine! Thanks for thinking of me :3

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I will try to get around to finishing the updates off for Assetto as I have quite a lot still to write about. I'm in the process of cleaning up the first stack with the career & alien races (holy shit are these ridiculous at times), to finish it off before I get around to doing a lot of this again. There's a lot to do still since the career is so long but I'm just working on getting the last few alien races done. It's gonna be great to finally get there after the amount of practice that has been required to do this. I will eventually do a proper review of it when I'm finally done.

On 14/08/2022 at 7:21 PM, Billie__227 said:

I don't know how long ago I was mentioned in this thread, but I just got a notification haha. I have lurked your thread many times, but I don't think I've commented, so just wanted to say your list is inspiring and has encouraged me to get back to writing mine! Thanks for thinking of me :3

That's cool, I think I did it on the same day & nice that's great.

On 08/09/2022 at 7:24 AM, JAK-KRIEG said:

Great read Des, good luck on your project if anyone can do it you can. Thanks again for your tips on Grip it helped. You are an inspiration to many keep up the great work.

Cheers, all good here. I'm glad you finished it off. It's a tough one & can be fun at times so it's good you went for it. I have quite a lot to write about still so I need to get around to that lol. Cheers again dude.

On 14/09/2022 at 11:57 PM, AJ_Radio said:

When you get around to Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed @Destructor-8let me know. 

I want to hear your progress on Yokozuna, among other trophies.

I'll need to get to this sometime as it's one of the remaining well known tough ones that I haven't finished off. I will probably do some updates on it as I do it plus I'll go through what I did in case there's any tips that I can give. It will be nice to get Assetto done so that I can get on to some different things before I get to this one.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 3

wn9SUwn.jpg

Assetto Corsa Special Event Hotlaps - Update #4

There won't be too many more updates after this one as there isn't too much to talk about with the majority of these ones, so I've decided to fit more into one update. The other thing is that many of these are on the same track although some may be on a different version of it so the main difference is the car rather than the location itself. This first ones in this update were actually quite tough so I have a bit more to talk about with those whilst the last few weren't very tough at all & are generally some of the more simple ones. These actually would be some of the best to start on since each car is actually a great one to start with.

Alessi Says, Step On It (Mugello - 1.32.000 Gold) - 1.31.663

Spoiler

The one that I would definitely consider as the toughest one where you are using a formula car by quite a way. The time isn't very generous here so you have to push a lot whilst getting the gear shifting really on point. It's very important to have a stable setup for this one as you just don't have time to catch the car when you are about to lose the grip, as every little bit of time matters here. It took a few hrs to do this one however this was actually one of the most enjoyable of all. I wouldn't have been against doing more like this.

Italy 1987 (Mugello - 2.00.000 Gold) - 1.59.335

Spoiler

The exact same track this time but with one of the absolute most shit cars that I think I have ever driven. I did this without traction as usual but the difference with it being on & off was quite a few hrs worth of attempts. It's like you are doing different events so it's recommended to have traction on here if it's needed, whilst making sure the right tires are used. The issue with it off is that the car is so shit that you just can't get it around & it is one where you can't really get comfortable with it. I don't think I have driven many like this one. I'm glad it didn't take too long to do it again so that's always a good thing when you do one that's similar to these.

Shining Red (Monza - 1.47.000 Gold) - 1.46.952

Spoiler

There's always those events where you start with one to try out & come back to it with a lot more experience to do it. This was the one that I originally tried out first before I made a start properly on it. I put quite a lot of time into this when I didn't have very much experience at all & coming back to essentially get it done within a few attempts really shows how much I had improved. I already knew the sector times & didn't need to get used to the gear shifting as I had already put in the time to learn that. I just had a lot of confidence & put in a time that was good enough. I probably didn't have the best tires for this one so there's room for improvement still to be had.

Green Flash (Monza - 1.51.000 Gold) - 1.50.878

Spoiler

The same track yet again as before but with a better car to drive as well as an easier time to make too. This would be one of the absolute best ones to try do to first since the car is extremely reliable & there isn't too much to learn here. It's one where you can get very comfortable on in order to push for a time that is fast enough. I don't think I spent very long on it at all since even though it's one of the easier ones overall, it's a great one to try out before doing anything else. There isn't too much to change around as well so that's even better.

A Fighting Bull (Monza - 1966 Course - 1.48.000 Gold) - 1.47.916

Spoiler

The first of a few that are very similar since each of these share the exact same track just in slightly different cars, this one being the one that took the longest to do. I noticed that when doing it that the gears weren't visually revving properly, making it a bit more tricky to know when exactly to shift up. It seemed like to make the time, I had to memorise the exact speed for when to shift to the next gear & once that was done then it was only a matter of time before I got it. The last corner also had to be taken well too.

Chasing Victory (Monza - 1966 Course - 1.37.000 Gold) - 1.36.308

Spoiler

The next one that is pretty much similar to the one before except that the car is better with a time that seems generally more lenient as I beat it by a lot more in much less time. It might be worth doing this one first just to get used to what gear to shift to & when since both cars are similar in this aspect. It's also worth noting that this car handles much better so that is another reason as to why this didn't take very long at all.

Classic Run (Monza - 1966 Course - 1.29.000 Gold) - 1.28.937

Spoiler

This is a later version of one of the previous cars although this one is a true classic. There is a lack of grip with this car but thankfully it is on a very simple track that makes an appearance for the final time. I did originally try this one when I first started out & I wasn't that far off so I knew that this wouldn't take long at all. I did this on the very first attempt with a few mistakes that are visible around the halfway point, so with a decent setup it's doable.

Memories (Zandvoort - 1.45.000 Gold) - 1.44.698

Spoiler

The same car again on a track that was quite infamous earlier on in the very first update. The tricky corners along with a car as unresponsive as this one meant that this could have taken quite awhile if attempted earlier on. I was quite surprised that I did this on the very first try with a setup that was relatively early on in the process of testing. I think the experience that I had prior on this track meant that I already knew how to approach it with only a slight adjustment of braking distances. It was surprising when I did it as quick as I did.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 4

wn9SUwn.jpg

Assetto Corsa Special Event Hotlaps - Update #5

This will be one of the last updates with a few more that were all finished up within quick succession of each other. There are as always a few that could still be considered quite the challenge but at this point there isn't any major ones remaining to talk about. These are good examples of ones that would be good to try out first or just clean up later especially as some share the same tracks which is similar to the case before. I quite enjoyed these ones since there was a slight challenge still but most were relatively comfortable for the most part & didn't take long at all to repeat. There wouldn't really be any order of recommendation here so it would be more preference rather than anything else. The next update after this one will be the final one.

Chapman Revolution (Brands Hatch Indy - 0.59.000 Gold) - 0.58.805

Spoiler

This is probably the easiest one of all since it's on the shortest track with a time that allows for a lot of mistakes, which works out well since grip is what this classic car lacks. I didn't change the setup much at all & just put in a semi decent run to get the time pretty much first try. It's quite visible in the latter half of the lap where multiple minor mistakes take place which shows that it doesn't take a good run to do this one.

Down The Hatch (Brands Hatch GP - 1.46.000 Gold) - 1.45.300

Spoiler

I think this would be an absolutely brilliant recommendation as an introductory event since it's a beginner friendly track in a slow car that for the most part, handles quite well. It would be a good one too when it comes down to learning manual itself plus there are a few winding corners where throttle control can also be experimented with. It didn't require the most brilliant of runs to do but one that was good enough after enough time on it.

Meet The AC Team (Vallelunga - 1.53.500 Gold) - 1.53.199

Spoiler

The car here isn't the easiest to use but it's in that category where it can be awkward to drive at times. That fact combined with this track makes this one complex enough where I would consider it in the middle somewhere when it comes to how doable it is. It's important to make sure that the turbo is activated for this one otherwise the car will be much slower than usual. The good thing is that as usual, it is active at all times.

Thunder (Vallelunga - 1.36.500 Gold) - 1.36.273

Spoiler

The same track as before although this time it's a returning car that was used in an earlier update. This one is quite a challenge due to the amount of low speed corners which isn't ideal for this car at all. The loss of traction coming out of certain corners can be responsible for quite a bit of time loss here & it can add up quite quickly too. The setup however seems to be the most important aspect of this one rather than putting in the best of runs.

Heat and Run (Barcelona GP - 1.52.000 Gold) - 1.51.716

Spoiler

To be updated

This Should Be Fun (Barcelona Moto - 1.58.000 Gold) - 1.57.951

Spoiler

To be updated

Fxx K at Barcelona (Barcelona Moto - 1.45.000 Gold) - 1.44.521

Spoiler

To be updated

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 3

wn9SUwn.jpg

Assetto Corsa Special Event Hotlaps - Update #6

This will be the final update with the last remaining lot that I have still to finish off. I've already done one so I should be getting around to the final ones after I finish the career off. There's been a lot of time put in to get this far so it's only right that the final one will be a combination of the first track that I started out on, which was Spa & whilst using one of the fastest cars being the McLaren P1 that I have quite a bit of practice in now. I'll put these here for now as placeholders but I will be coming back to this post to finish off the updates. The career is almost done so the following post after this one will consist of the platinum trophy itself. I appreciate everyone that has followed these updates & only hope that this will be of some help to anyone that takes on this challenge. The McLaren P1 at Spa is going to be where the platinum trophy will be won

Fxx K at Spa (Spa - Gold) - TBC

P1 at Spa (Spa - Gold) - TBC

Let It Scream (Spa - Gold) - TBC

Flight Simulator (Nurburgring GP - Gold) - TBC Golded

• Like 1