Is the online for this game as 'risky' as GTA V in terms of modders messing with your trophies?

PostGameBlues

Hello, 

So I'm recently finishing up the Online trophies for GTA V and I have read some stuff about people's rank trophies popping all at once because someone boosted them to rank 1000 or something absurdly high. This resulted of course in getting flagged by the site's CRT, regardless of whether it was deliberate or not. Which is why I'm wondering if I should even bother with GTA IV because if some modded player suddenly gives me money or whatever and it causes trophies to pop earlier than they should then I'll just avoid this game to not risk getting flagged and wasting any efforts or time put into the online trophies before getting messed up by a modder.  

Edited by PostGameBlues

3 minutes ago, MMDE said:

The only ones getting flagged are the top fastest, those who are asking modders to help, mod themselves, or just auto pop most of the trophy list, especially offline stuff.

From what I remember, the rank trophy 'Wanted' is tied to the amount of money you hold. If a modded player in the lobby youre in gives you millions of unsolicited cash for example, wouldn't that pop the trophy? I imagine the same rule would apply in that situation with regards to the rank trophies in GTA V popping all at once.

• Like 2

If you want to be safe only play in private sessions. If you have 4 PS3s you can boost every online trophy (except the viral and coop) on your own. You could start with the viral trophy by joining a public match (if you don't have a friend with that trophy) and make sure to read and understand this before: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/47103-what-to-do-if-you-get-hacked-and-trophies-pop-screwing-your-list…/

After that one "public" online trophy you can boost everything in private sessions as said above. This will just be a matter of dedication without worrying about hackers screwing up your list, as long as you don't go public accidentally. Make sure to follow @ProfBambam55's excellent online guide (https://psnprofiles.com/guide/3606-grand-theft-auto-iv-multiplayer-trophy-guide). Didn't have a single issue, even AWP unlocked just fine because of his checklist. For Coop you should find a friend or someone from here via boosting sessions.

Edited by woggly4
  • Like 2

even if you get into a modded lobby without you know you will get flagged since no one actually can tell if it was intentional or not. You can't be like ''oh oopsie i got into modded lobby and i am like 500 levels now'' So basically just pack it up and move on if you want to be safe and since this is close to shut down all eyes are on this atm. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, woggly4 said:

If you want to be safe only play in private sessions. If you have 4 PS3s you can boost every online trophy (except the viral and coop) on your own. You could start with the viral trophy by joining a public match (if you don't have a friend with that trophy) and make sure to read and understand this before: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/47103-what-to-do-if-you-get-hacked-and-trophies-pop-screwing-your-list…/

That's a very good guide on what to do if that happens, bookmarked it thanks! Granted I don't have much online games on my PS3 backlog but that seems like a lifesaver.

5 minutes ago, OnuR10Ly said:

even if you get into a modded lobby without you know you will get flagged since no one actually can tell if it was intentional or not. You can't be like ''oh oopsie i got into modded lobby and i am like 500 levels now'' So basically just pack it up and move on if you want to be safe and since this is close to shut down all eyes are on this atm. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well, it's gonna suck if I'm halfway through AWP and suddenly I get messed up by a random modder. Sigh, I just wish Rockstar would remaster GTA IV so I don't feel as bad leaving this PS3 trophy list behind lol.

From my memory of playing this:

- the trophies for levelling up don't pop straight away on reaching a level, you have to play another match at your new level to get it to register.

- your online levels are saved in the save file, not server side.

Assuming the above is correct, you could avoid the problem completely by backing up your save file regularly, and then just exiting the game if a modder gives you cash, retrieving your old save from before that happened & reloading to continue from your old level. To be extra safe, you can back up all of your game saves before going online, so that if trophies do pop you can follow the link that was posted above to delete/restore your profile.

On 29/10/2021 at 5:55 PM, PostGameBlues said:

Hello, 

So I'm recently finishing up the Online trophies for GTA V and I have read some stuff about people's rank trophies popping all at once because someone boosted them to rank 1000 or something absurdly high. This resulted of course in getting flagged by the site's CRT, regardless of whether it was deliberate or not. Which is why I'm wondering if I should even bother with GTA IV because if some modded player suddenly gives me money or whatever and it causes trophies to pop earlier than they should then I'll just avoid this game to not risk getting flagged and wasting any efforts or time put into the online trophies before getting messed up by a modder.  

On 29/10/2021 at 6:42 PM, StacFace92 said:

From my memory of playing this:

- the trophies for levelling up don't pop straight away on reaching a level, you have to play another match at your new level to get it to register.

- your online levels are saved in the save file, not server side.

Assuming the above is correct, you could avoid the problem completely by backing up your save file regularly, and then just exiting the game if a modder gives you cash, retrieving your old save from before that happened & reloading to continue from your old level. To be extra safe, you can back up all of your game saves before going online, so that if trophies do pop you can follow the link that was posted above to delete/restore your profile.

GTA IV online server pretty much saver than GTA V online cause you can create lobby in private mode, if (sometimes) hackers breach your lobby just quit ASAP to avoid any popped out trophy from hackers + the server almost empty you can get all online trophies almost zero problem.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 9/3/2022 at 11:29 PM, Vern3r0z said:

Has this actually happened to anyone here? Was thinking about getting this game but kinda worried about this happening. And also is it only the rank related trophies? After you get them are you safe?

Hasn't happened to me. Don't think I have ran into a single modder at all. Had the game for a month and got almost all of the online trophies. Still gotta grind for the wanted trophy and I am finished. 

• Like 4

The only way you would be at risk is if you will be flagged here on the site for whatever reason, if it's for getting the Wanted trophy early or something similar by the help of modders.

anyway it will be unlikely because the game servers were switched to P2P and they most likely will never get shut down, there is no way to track your multiplayer stats, so I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Terra said:

I have 2. Ive used them previously to boost some online trophies. Helps also

if you have more than one television. 

Yes I have 2 also, but 4??? Seems like overkill.. Some people don't even have a second controller and you got people out here with 4 ps3's lol.... I don't see why someone would need 4 of them but that's just me.

Well, they are pretty cheap on eBay nowadays and I needed 4 to investigate a broken trophy in another game. After that I realized that I could selfboost mostly every PS3 game in my backlog when using 4 consoles (including GTAIV), so that made some of the tedious grinds in games a breeze as I only needed to do it once, as opposed to 4 times when I would have created a boosting session.

22 minutes ago, SuchRemorse said:

Yes I have 2 also, but 4??? Seems like overkill.. Some people don't even have a second controller and you got people out here with 4 ps3's lol.... I don't see why someone would need 4 of them but that's just me.

4 is nice. Most of the time you'll be using a 2nd ps3 only for most grinds, but having 4 will allow you some extras, like being able to farm more kills by yourself in many games and also making it easier to boost games that require lots of players. For example a 8p multiplayer grind can be massively reduced if you find another with 4. But of course the law of diminshing returns apply and 4 might not be worth for most players. Two ps3 is a no-brainer though, very very helpful

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/02/2023 at 11:26 AM, SuchRemorse said:

You think that's bad? I have 9. I started collecting them years ago. They're extremely cheap nowadays on the second-hand market, including cables, controller and delivery. A couple of mine have dodgy disk drives or HDMI ports, but they still work. I like to help people to boost, which often requires a minimum of at least 4 machines, and sometimes more, depending on who shows up and who doesn't. Multiplayer modes sometimes have mandatory minimums of six or even eight, and if you're playing something old or obscure, you'll have a hard time getting a game started at all. I plan to sell most of them second-hand when I no longer need them.

If you ever need any help, I'll be happy to put my absurd number of machines to good use, if I can.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 23/03/2023 at 1:02 AM, Fat_Pie123 said:

You think that's bad? I have 9. I started collecting them years ago. They're extremely cheap nowadays on the second-hand market, including cables, controller and delivery. A couple of mine have dodgy disk drives or HDMI ports, but they still work. I like to help people to boost, which often requires a minimum of at least 4 machines, and sometimes more, depending on who shows up and who doesn't. Multiplayer modes sometimes have mandatory minimums of six or even eight, and if you're playing something old or obscure, you'll have a hard time getting a game started at all. I plan to sell most of them second-hand when I no longer need them.

If you ever need any help, I'll be happy to put my absurd number of machines to good use, if I can.

I have three, a friend has four and another friend has five. I would love to see your setup, nine is crazy (and fantastic!).

On 26/05/2023 at 1:09 PM, baboon_overlord said:

I have three, a friend has four and another friend has five. I would love to see your setup, nine is crazy (and fantastic!).

Sadly, I'm down to eight, at least for now (one of my hard drives crapped out). I actually wasn't sure if the power supply in my flat (which was installed decades ago and never upgraded) would be able to handle 8 machines all going at once, but thankfully there were no issues.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...