Splinter Cell remake announced

snakebit10

Well, not ready to jump around just yet, since this is modern day Ubisoft with shadier practices than a blackout and with what is going on inside the company, I'm not exactly too optimistic.

I'm hoping that my view on this will change as I used to be a fan of the series and I would love nothing more to play game that can do the old justice, but until I see anything tangible or some of the things in Ubisoft change, I'm looking at this with a big dose of skepticism. 

I thought there was a leak stating it was going to be open world? I hope it isn’t. If is a faithful remake (in the vein of Resident Evil games) this is tremendous news. It would appeal to new audiences and old. I’m surprised that Ubisoft didn’t just port Chaos Theory and Doublr Agent and called it a day.  

I hope Michael Ironsides is back. I remember 2-3 years ago there was an interview with him stating why he didn’t do the voice for the recent games and that he was back for Sam again. Hopefully he didn’t mean his talent when to the Breakpoint crossover. Although I will say the voice behind the Rainbow operator did a good job. 

5 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

I thought there was a leak stating it was going to be open world? I hope it isn’t. If is a faithful remake (in the vein of Resident Evil games) this is tremendous news. It would appeal to new audiences and old. I’m surprised that Ubisoft didn’t just port Chaos Theory and Doublr Agent and called it a day.  

Looks like they debunked that.

“Although we're still in the very earliest stages of development, what we're trying to do is make sure the spirit of the early games remains intact, in all of the ways that gave early Splinter Cell its identity,” says Producer Matt West. “So, as we're building it from the ground up, we're going to update it visually, as well as some of the design elements to match player comfort and expectations, and we are going to keep it linear like the original games, not make it open world.”

Sounds promising but with Ubisoft you never know.

• Like 1

Let's hope Ubisoft devote enough resources and time to it unlike the way Prince of Persia Remake was looking when it was first announced. I think the choice to not show any gameplay or screenshots was very deliberate as they are stating it's a remake and not a remaster. Big fan of SC1 so I'm quite excited to see gameplay when it's ready to show.

I'm a day one player of the OG Splinter Cell on the first Xbox and I remember (as if I experienced it yesterday) all the cool things that left in awe, like hiding in the shadows, shooting out the lights, performing a split jump on a narrow corridor, the great level design, the SC20K reloading sound, or Ironside's iconic voice.

The magic of that time can't be recaptured, but I hope they can just modernize it a bit without changing the core of what made that first game so great.