What reviews site you prefer. IGN or Gamespot?

spyrosmicha

The hideous make under Gamespot recently got was the last straw for me. I just got tired of things like the lack of objectivity with their reviewers, the pointless/troll news articles, more social/political commentary instead of insightful video game articles, and horrible community. I do miss writing user reviews there but I don't know if that's enough for me to eventually go back.

I could never really get into IGN that much. Its nothing specific, It just never held my attention for very long.

• Like 1

Classic Game Room for me. Mark and I have very similar interests in games and he doesn't give scores which is the way I think a reviews should be. 

I go to IGN a lot too. I watch their video reviews to see gameplay, I couldn't care less about the written review or the score or whatever opinion they might have, I can generally see if I'll enjoy a game based on the gameplay so that is all I care to see. 

Parker

i first heard about psnprofiles from an IGN video made by Colin Moriarty. I think that he was talking about the new rare trophies feature that PS4 has where you can instantly see how rare your trophy is from the XMB. He also mentioned psnprofiles and said that it is a very good site. he and Greg Miller they both have an account in this site.

Edited by spyrosmicha
  • Like 2

To be honest I've never really gone off reviews because at the end of the day it's all opinions and when it comes to opinions I'd rather make my own then go off others when it comes to gaming.

That's just me though, some of these "professional" reviewers see one thing they don't like and like drop a score etc. 

If I were to follow someone though it would probably be IGN not because Gamespot are bad or anything just I've always came across IGN more in my searches.

The 8.0 thing also I wouldn't say suspicious, just their own opinion.. If they seen something they didn't like then they didn't like it. 

Each to their own preferences.

Edited by Meacham93

There are only three reviewers I trust -

• Me
  • Myself
  • I

I have played too many great games that have been panned by them and too many bland games that they soak their panties on.

Ever notice that the only max scores are given to large publishers (EA, Rockstar, Activision, Naughty Dog)? Thats probably because the bigger the company is, the deeper their pockets . . .

• Like 1

There are only three reviewers I trust -

• Me
  • Myself
  • I

I have played too many great games that have been panned by them and too many bland games that they soak their panties on.

Ever notice that the only max scores are given to large publishers (EA, Rockstar, Activision, Naughty Dog)? Thats probably because the bigger the company is, the deeper their pockets . . .

Very true, which means they have more people and resources to make the game better. Who is going to make a better game, a guy in his basement with $2K to spend, or a team of 200-500 professionals who have a budget in the millions? 

Now that doesn't mean the guy in his basement can't make a good game or that his game is automatically worse than big budget games, but to assume all large developers pay for reviews is kind of silly to me. When you ask people what the game of the generation or year is, people usually answer with games from those developers. 

Parker

Out of these two sites, I would probably prefer IGN over GameSpot, maybe because I do a few more things on IGN than GameSpot (Podcast BEYOND!). For all the games that I want to see reviews for on day one I at least watch the Game Trailers, GameSpot, and IGN reviews to see what multiple people think. There are specific reviewers that I've come to not care for, like Carolyn Petit from GameSpot giving points off of many games for the dumbest reasons.

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

I prefer IGN even though I don't always agree with score/review they give a game. I mainly prefer them because of the staff (Greg, Colin, Andrew, ect.) and Podcast Beyond which I find myself watching consistently. I haven't used Gamespot for 2 years but I don't find giving The Last of Us a 8.0 suspicious, it's still a great score and it's just a opinion.

I don't really care for x/10 of x/100 scores but I do try to watch many reviews including that of Gamespot and IGN to try an get an informed opinion. Watching the gameplay and listening to what they actually have to say rather than just reading a random number is the best way to figure out if a game is good short of actually buying it yourself. I would really like if numbered review scores just went away, I prefer the likes of Zero Punctuation (Even if I find he tries too hard to be funny at times) and Classic Game Room who just say what they feel and don't try and convert those feelings into some arbitrary one size fits all point system.

I don't really care for x/10 of x/100 scores but I do try to watch many reviews including that of Gamespot and IGN to try an get an informed opinion. Watching the gameplay and listening to what they actually have to say rather than just reading a random number is the best way to figure out if a game is good short of actually buying it yourself. I would really like if numbered review scores just went away, I prefer the likes of Zero Punctuation (Even if I find he tries too hard to be funny at times) and Classic Game Room who just say what they feel and don't try and convert those feelings into some arbitrary one size fits all point system.

This ^

Although most people can't be bothered to read a whole review which is why people do the x/10 score because most people just want to know GOOD/BAD. The worst is when you read a review and they are trashing a bunch of stuff in the game and then when you get to the score it is 9/10 just because of the name.  Skyrim was a great example of this where people were trashing it for its bugs and game breaking glitches but it was still getting 9 and 10s because people had fun. Well that is all well and good but a game can't get a 10 for fun alone? That is why the number system needs to disappear.

Ugh, neither.  I go with Game Informer although not necessarily for reviews, more for general gaming news and they write some descent articles about random stuff.  Game reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt regardless of which site they come from, no one can tell you how fun you think a game is.

I use to regular Polygon.com for all my game review/news, but then I got bored of it.

Who really cares what some jerk off thinks about a game? Play it yourself, and make up your own mind. Don't let someone elses opinion influence your own.

Edited by Gext3r

Suspicious? Not really. Reviews are just opinions. Not everyone is going to agree that a game deserves a perfect score. That, plus, scores are honestly a useless thing - there's no telling what really constitutes one game getting an 8, and another getting a 9. If the review says the game is good and worth playing, that's all that matters. Scores are arbitrary data meant to manipulate people into thinking something is a lot better - or worse - than it really is.

Things that one person might find to be a flaw [TLoU's controls, for example - they're a little bit clunky at times], another might feel they add to the experience.

As for the reviews I prefer - I don't really use either, I usually go with GameInformer, but I tend to trust my own instincts instead of any review. Part of the reason I started to write my own reviews, with no scores - just "Rent/Buy/Skip/Kill It With Fire".

That's true. I played Dead Island and although it received average to bad reviews I played it for 80 hours I had a lot of fun with it and it really is a great game. And I am not finished with it yet. At some point I will go back for the platinum which will be another 10 to 20 hours i think

Edited by spyrosmicha

Neither.  Both IGN and Gamespot doesn't evaluate and review games thoroughly to support their final score.  I have played games that was rated so low (Splatterhouse) and rated very high (COD: Black Ops 1) where I double-check their score again and shake my head in disbelief.  Seriously having a major company label on the game doesn't mean it is going to be a good one.  In addition, bugs and glitches in a game should be rated lower due to sloppy QA and incomplete work.  However, some companies shower money over the major video game reviewer websites to keep the score intact and high.  Anyway I prefer reviewers like Angry Joe that provides different perspective on the pros and cons of a particular game.  The scoring system is reasonable and supports his arguments on games.  I rarely see a 10 out 10 or 1 out of 10 (ex. Ride to Hell: Retribution) unless the game really goes out its way and make it stand out.