What reviews site you prefer. IGN or Gamespot?

spyrosmicha

I use Gamespot, but not Just for their reviews. I use it more just to find out about games and view videos or read their forums. I only read reviews to get the hard facts out of games and just to get a general idea of them, I don't judge games based on them.

I like IGN. Gamespot gave The Last of US an 8.0 only. Dont you find this suspicious?

lol, I knew that was coming.

Personally I follow destructoid (destructoid.com) or kotaku for most of my game reviews, IGN reviews are mostly biased along with gamespot. But then again everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I only use reviews as reference sites tho. 

Neither.

If you listen to either you are an idiot or don't realise they are paid to give good ratings. They have not had creditbility for a long, long, long, long time.......

Please provide a few sources backing up this claim, I'd appreciate it. Oh, not just the Kayne and Lynch bull, we already know about that. One incident doesn't mean the whole industry is like that and if all the reviewers are getting paid then it should be easy to prove your claim.

Thanks,

Parker

• Like 1

Why do people on here seem to think 8/10 is a bad score?

below 5/10 would be a bad score. 8/10 meens very good, no?

Not anymore, there are a good quantity of 10 rated games out there, now people seem to think a "good" game is a 9 or above. Wich I find stupid to a fault. But again, this is all fault of review sites that let their opinions grow beyond control and are taken as "fact" and now give a 10 to every game out there like it's nothing.

On topic:

I don't base my buys on just one site, I watch reviews by IGN, Polygon, Destructoid, GameInformer, Angry Joe (if he decides to make one) and Rev3. And just make and overall impression of it. 

The reason I do this is because reviews have become a pile of bullcrap, one source tells you how stupid the enemy AI is and the other praises the game for it's challenge and how it makes you find clever ways for every situation. Not to mention when they contradict themselves entirely (looking at you IGN) i.e. "Insert game name here" is probably one of the most boring, repetitive and uninspired experiences I've seen this year, but, once you manage to pass that feeling, you found a very entertaining and amusing idea worth a try. (WTF?) 

Anyway, like I said, if every site I mentioned says the games is crap, it probably is, if there are various opinions, I check a couple of let's plays or walkthroughs and decide for myself. 

Edited by Arkthur_us

Personally I read a view things from IGN, I particularly like Colin Morality and Greg Miller, but I listen to their PlayStation podcast more than I view their site (BEYOND!).

When I'm looking up a review on a particular game I'll compare Amazon reviews, IGN, Rev3games, Metacritic, or Kotaku. I'm finding this site is excellent too. Found Mamorukun Curse that way.

For straight up news I view Kotaku.

There are only three reviewers I trust -

• Me
  • Myself
  • I

I have played too many great games that have been panned by them and too many bland games that they soak their panties on.

Ever notice that the only max scores are given to large publishers (EA, Rockstar, Activision, Naughty Dog)? Thats probably because the bigger the company is, the deeper their pockets . . .

Given that you think Naughty Dog is a publisher, I wouldn't trust a single thing you said.

• Like 2

Neither, really.

Over the years, I've found myself referring more on the opinions of Achievement and Trophy sites, more so because it came closer to the audience that truly had to grind deep into each game to develop a long term understanding of most games.

Near the end of my tenure for GameStop; around April or May of 2013, I found myself leaning on the shoulders of Metacritic to get a peak, though still trying to formulate my own opinions.

Now that I just don't care, I rent what I can get my hands on and simply formulate my own opinions -- finding most of my fun in "horrible" titles.

• Like 1

I use Gamespot, but not for reviews. I buy games and decide if I like them my self.

and Last of Us 8/10 are people still talking about this? xD retarded. it's one persons opinion and still a good score... Back in the day 6/10 was still good because it was above avarage.

I dont Know if that is retarted as you say mate what i know is that gamespot is getting paid by microsoft to give bad reviews to Plastyation games and its not the first time this happens. Also another site that is sponshored by microsoft is Polygon. Just read their reviews. They always give extra points to XBOX. For example they rated Ghosts for xbone 7 and for ps4 6. This is shit. On the other hand IGN is more 'Playstation friendly'   

Edited by spyrosmicha

Neither IGN or Gamespot.

If I am not just going to buy the game regardless, I usually await a review roundup (usually via Kotaku, who I usually use for news) and read a bunch of them sometimes with some (detailed) Amazon customer reviews thrown in for extra perspective.

I definitely prefer Dtoid, Polygon and Kotaku for reviews over GT, GameSpot and IGN.

It isn't so much "suspicious" as it was just some dude's opinion. That said I have found Gamespot's reviews to be total garbage.

GTA V only got a 9 on there just because their transgender reviewer found it to be "misogynistic". Yeah, how unexpected of a GTA game. And I'm only mentioning the fact that she's transgender because I just feel that one of their male reviewers wouldn't have considered that to be a negative point, as its considered something always present in the satirical GTA world.

Don't get me wrong, I hated GTA V, but to name THAT was a con is stupid.

Also found their reviews of Knack and Ryse to be ludicrously low, especially that of Knack which at least has gameplay vs Ryse's almost non-stop QTEs.

All that aside, I frequent Gamespot VERY often, mostly because there are some of us who have formed our own group of comment trolls on there. Its quite fun at times.

I would do the same on IGN but the amount of commenters per article are massive compared to Gamespot. I like the small argumentative community I've found on Gamespot.

So I guess I favor Gamespot, though my top site for reviews and most gaming news is PlayStationLifestyle.net

Edited by rsoto1125

To further add to my process: I'm not sure anyone shares a similar habit, but in the past few years, I've been using Zero Punctuation when it comes down to trying games from a new perspective.

Sure, the opinions shouldn't be used solely to base whether or not the game is good, but it gives you the angle as where to expect all the bad things to come from.

If you go into a game expecting shit, you're more than likely often going to find yourself a bit more pleased than not. It's easier to develop a solid opinion when looking up than down, that's for sure.

• Like 2

Given that you think Naughty Dog is a publisher, I wouldn't trust a single thing you said.

I guess I just got

23684993.jpg

I am thrilled to have provided you some sense of accomplishment! That fulfills my "charity" resolution for 2014 :D

• Make a nerd feel better about themself
  • Like 1

i usually don't bet on reviews that much because of how many time IGN and gamespot etc. call good games bad or disappointing and bad games good and worth your money as long as they get payed to do so..... is it ok to say i prefer angry joe??

even though he never reviewed any playstation exclusive last gen.. ps3. 

Edited by yellowwindow7

Both review sites are generally inconsistent in my opinion (as any large organisation with multiple reviewers will be). Like some of the others, GameInformer seems to be decent, while others like Polygon just try to pull the 'hits', haha.

I find the best way is to watch a video review or part of a gameplay video and see if the systems/gameplay/graphics/style appeal to me; if they do, I'll likely buy it. If not, I might look at some scores and see what others thought before buying it myself.

Generally though, I don't trust review scores; something like Metro 2033 scored quite lowly and I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just my two cents

I dont Know if that is retarted as you say mate what i know is that gamespot is getting paid by microsoft to give bad reviews to Plastyation games and its not the first time this happens. Also another site that is sponshored by microsoft is Polygon. Just read their reviews. They always give extra points to XBOX. For example they rated Ghosts for xbone 7 and for ps4 6. This is shit. On the other hand IGN is more 'Playstation friendly'   

Please provide sources to back up this claim. Don't show me how a 360 game got an 8 and the PS3 version got a 7, I couldn't care less about that and technical issues could easily be the reason for that. You claim you know the Microsoft is paying to get better reviews and I want the proof. If you can't prove it, stop posting it.

Parker

I used to follow "Mr Adam Sessler" show before. I love his insights and unbiased REVIEWS.

But after his shows went "bust" or killed its Airtime...I found myself hovering over IGN website.

I personally rate them 8/10 as a Review Portal And YES they are nor perfect, and absolutely YES

they have a fair share of "idiot moments" when things go crazy on the set, in which at times

becoming pointless. But nobody's perfect, neither me and you.

And I agree when somebody said, "their decision towards a game is not solely based on whatever

sh^t load and BS those IGN reviewers throws but rather, using it as a platform for Pre-assessment.  B)  :pimp: 

Special Mention: 

Colin Moriarty For being consistent in his reviews and feedback.!

Cheers!

-peaceout

Razgriz

I don't judge a gaming website on its game reviews/scores...I judge them on how user-friendly their site is and if I am able to utilize their social network to gain information on games, etc.

I barely look at a site to see what they scored on a game but rather read what they experienced or not experienced when playing the game.

Based on that I prefer IGN. The site works easier for me, information I seek is more accessible, and site seems more appealing.

Edited by rallysportev