What reviews site you prefer. IGN or Gamespot?

spyrosmicha

So because we have one paid review it means the whole industry operates like that?

Parker

I live in a world where; if you can imagine it, there's a 99% chance it's real. I can't confirm the above alegations with recorded evidence of a paper trail, video surveillance, phone taps or a confession but, seeing as how it's happened before, it has probably happened since.

I try to keep an open mind and remember that "one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch" but, I've become accustomed to "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

If they are crooked; then I was right to avoid them and say they're crooked. If they aren't crooked and I was wrong; at least I've persuaded people to take control of their lives and make their own decisions by judging by themselves.

There is very clear evidence thar neither of these sources is trustworthy.

In Gamespots case -

look up the incident involving the firing of journalist Jeff Gerstmann after he gave a (completely correct) middling to low score for Kane and Lynch (which at the time was being heavily advertised on the site coutesy of SquareEnix's marketing budget)

-Clear evidence that they dont give a shit about any kind of journalistic integrity if it might impact thier advertising revenue.

In the case of IGN -

I may be wrong, but as far as I can tell IGN UK still buy reviews on a freelance basis from Lauren Wainwright (they certainly did at one point) -She being one of the most publically and famously corrupt games journalists ever outed )

I'm a neither as well. For the most part I'll go through trailers and screenshots of games, maybe read the description of what it's about then buy it. Usually I end up loving the game but every now and then I hit a game I don't (such as Lost Planet 3).

• Like 1

Neither.

If you listen to either you are an idiot or don't realise they are paid to give good ratings. They have not had creditbility for a long, long, long, long time.......

I really would like to see some sources from the people that make claims that these sites are corrupt.  It is really annoying when you bash a site off of a claim you can't support.  I agree that there are some biases on websites, but it is often easy to see through those.  

Anyways I generally read reviews when I am bored or looking for some kind of entertainment.  So whatever article seems more interesting to me, that is where I will go.  IGN and Gamespot are both cool with me. 

I use my own judgment when purchasing a game. 

Who the hell is Lauren Wainright? also, IGN UK does not stand for the entirety of the IGN family and IGN in general.

I live in a world where; if you can imagine it, there's a 99% chance it's real. I can't confirm the above alegations with recorded evidence of a paper trail, video surveillance, phone taps or a confession but, seeing as how it's happened before, it has probably happened since.

I try to keep an open mind and remember that "one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch" but, I've become accustomed to "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

If they are crooked; then I was right to avoid them and say they're crooked. If they aren't crooked and I was wrong; at least I've persuaded people to take control of their lives and make their own decisions by judging by themselves.

Why is it that it's always assumed if you listen to reviews/take them in mind you're a mindless bot who just does what reviewers say? seriously, I don't get it. I take reviews into account but that's just one of many things before I make a proper decision.

For the most part reviews tend to be clean. Even the Kane and Lynch scandal wasn't standard, but rather a bunch of new management team members who were unable to handle the tension from marketing pressuring them due to low review scores, in his own words.

Who the hell is Lauren Wainright? also, IGN UK does not stand for the entirety of the IGN family and IGN in general.

Here is one piece summing it up - forbes did a good piece also, and there are many other good articles on the subject. Was a pretty big scandal in terms of games journalism over here in Europe if you follow that kind of thing.

http://botherer.org/2012/10/25/an-utter-disgrace/

One part of a company IS representative of another part - companies have global ethics procedures in place, not local ones - a scandal for one part is a scandal for both. Im fully aware that the actual scandal involved Eurogamer and not IGN, but Journalisted.com lists IGN uk as a current employer for this hack.

None, all sites are biased to one console or another. I don't rely on 'professional' reviews, I go off of my fellow gamers reactions. I use sites like TrueAchievements (Xbox) and TrueTrophies (PS3) if I MUST have a review sway my opinion. Usually, I'm already decided if I'm getting a game or not before it even comes out.

None, all sites are biased to one console or another. I don't rely on 'professional' reviews, I go off of my fellow gamers reactions. I use sites like TrueAchievements (Xbox) and TrueTrophies (PS3) if I MUST have a review sway my opinion. Usually, I'm already decided if I'm getting a game or not before it even comes out.

Considering the bulk of games are usually multiplatform I don't really see the point, anyways. Also, the only place which seems so plainly biased to one console or another is Edge, really. If you have any example of another i'd like to see it.

PS: Don't mind the extra quote thing, I did it by mistake and I dunno how to remove it.

Depends on the person writing the review.

I prefer IGN, but sometimes I disagree heavily with certain reviewers. It isn't enough to say one site is better, but there are certain writers that resonate with me more than gamespot or kotaku or wherever.

Moreover, I listen to Beyond! Because you can get a better sense of a game by how people talk about it organically, candidly and on the fly. At least you can tell Greg, Colin and Andrew are talking from the heart where a written review has more thought put in to it and selective language to get a negative or positive point across.

Depends on the person writing the review.

I prefer IGN, but sometimes I disagree heavily with certain reviewers. It isn't enough to say one site is better, but there are certain writers that resonate with me more than gamespot or kotaku or wherever.

Moreover, I listen to Beyond! Because you can get a better sense of a game by how people talk about it organically, candidly and on the fly. At least you can tell Greg, Colin and Andrew are talking from the heart where a written review has more thought put in to it and selective language to get a negative or positive point across.

Wouldn't a more thorough and accurate review be better though? I mean, it would be more detailed and stuff so you'd get a better idea about it.

I'm definitely against the whole ''4 minute condensed video'' thing though that IGN/Spot/etc do. If it's a video review, I expect something like AngryJoe where it's 12 minutes+, so I usually stick to writen reviews or those.

You think that stops morons from fighting about which is better? Nope.

I will correct myself and say the sites themselves may not be biased, but the writers.... well, that's another story.

Usually there is  a team for the PS3 and a team for the Xbox, and a team for Nintendo. Since they tend to to stick to their respective consoles minus a few instances I can't see it becoming too much of a problem.

Another source that I use often - a lot more often recently, after getting Adam Sessler on board, is Rev3Games. It was from them that I got the idea to drop scores and instead use a more concise "Buy/Rent/Skip" system.

They've since gone to a Star system, like XPlay used to use, which is a score in itself, but it's still better than an x/10 score. Easier to read 3/5 as decent than 5/10 - psychologically, even though they both represent "average", 3 is closer to 5 than 5 is to 10, as such, it makes it easier for a person to realize that the game might actually be worth something.

i use neither of those two, i always check the reviews from CGR (classic game room)

on 99% of the games i watched the review from these guys hit my taste in games on the spot, i'm not saying 100% just because i still haven't played all the games i have

the review are made in a fun witty way and cover all aspects of the game, i highly recommend to give them a good try on some games you already liked or disliked to see if they hit your taste in games

I dont even check the reviews for games. If I see a games's trailer and get interested in it then I just buy it. TBH referring to reviews is stupid since the reviewer might hate a certain game and you absolutely love that game. I generally go to a local video game store to see if they have the game im interested in and just play it on the display console. If I like it I buy it. I also download demos/betas of certain games.

Your own opinion of a game is all that matters at the end of the day :) As long as you enjoy it then who gives a fuck!? I for one only focus on my opinion for games because IGN and Gamespot are both as bad as each other for their reviews <_< Soooooo no...I don't like any of them...However...I do pay more attention to the people who actually PLAYED THE GAME! I feel as if other gamers know more what they're talking about unlike IGN and Gamespot :P

Edited by DevilKidGame17
  • Like 3

I don't go to review sites to decide on what games to get. Many times they either do the following:

a) Accept bribes thus certain games get certain scores that I feel personally they shouldn't even deserve it.

B) Ain't true gamers most of the time, more like talking PR heads.

c) Their writing and knowledge of game series is crap. If you do not believe me read the Dead Space 2.

d) Those who accept 750k from an certain company to start up than give the other platforms lower scores *COUGH Polygon*

e) Journalist who are whiny because they want something free. This one I will say that many journalist whined about not getting an free PS4 (AND yes I'm looking at Adam Sessler who's an joke of an journalist now because of that).

Avoid big time review sites believe me. They are really bad. I look at indie sites, and certain video broadcasters. Today's journalist accept bribes, can't game, and just give 10's at the wrong time. Hell Gamespot gave Might and Magic X an 6/10 and I'm enjoying the living heck out of it each chance I get from taking an break Playstation trophy hunting. 

Avoid game journalist the big ones, you'll make the industry a better place.

• Like 1