E3 2022 canceled

MidnightDragon

E3 was always enthusiast and/or pro gamer geared. It was easy to call the doldrums between shows 'the end of gaming' when literally anything worth saying was/will be said there. Things are different now. Whatever the quality of States of Play or Nintendo Direct, they can reach about the same audience and release whenever they like. The casual market has never been this large before, either. While we might have been disappointed with Sony's last show, there are millions more who don't consume games on as regular a basis as your average user here who found the presentation exciting.

I see this as an opportunity for publishers to try new things. Remember Devolverland Expo?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1283220/Devolverland_Expo/

More of this would be cool. Not just a flat presentation and it engages the viewer.

• Like 1

They've announced a return in 2023, and NOT digital.

Hopefully they'll find another ridiculous excuse to put the final nail in the coffin. WW3, economic crisis, another surge of COVID, a #MeToo-like scandal inside ESA, a terrorist attack on a similar event... or a combination of all of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Someone explain to me how this doesn't mean that there is now a massive ass void of literal no gaming news now.

Well.. since you asked.

A void (emptiness), in this case "massive ass" sized meaning large, of "literal no gaming news" means a void of no news, a double negative, so that translates to a large amount of news. You asked how E2 2022 being canceled doesn't mean there is now large amount of news.

Well considering how much "news" was "leaked" ahead of E3 every single year... as long as it's been going on, and how since 1995 there are now 100 times more websites covering every tiny sliver of gaming related news you could ask for, and every developer and publisher that exists has a twitter, probably a Facebook page, an Instagram, a Discord, a YouTube channel, and their shills and fanboys everywhere across the internet... all the same advertisements,  I mean news, is still out there and will continue to be out there.

None of the "news" was lost into a void. It'll be held for some other event or just released when whoever created it feels like releasing it. No publishers marketing dollars will be wasted just because E3 got cancelled, they'll just be spent in a different place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Well.. since you asked.

A void (emptiness), in this case "massive ass" sized meaning large, of "literal no gaming news" means a void of no news, a double negative, so that translates to a large amount of news. You asked how E2 2022 being canceled doesn't mean there is now large amount of news.

Well considering how much "news" was "leaked" ahead of E3 every single year... as long as it's been going on, and how since 1995 there are now 100 times more websites covering every tiny sliver of gaming related news you could ask for, and every developer and publisher that exists has a twitter, probably a Facebook page, an Instagram, a Discord, a YouTube channel, and their shills and fanboys everywhere across the internet... all the same advertisements,  I mean news, is still out there and will continue to be out there.

None of the "news" was lost into a void. It'll be held for some other event or just released when whoever created it feels like releasing it. No publishers marketing dollars will be wasted just because E3 got cancelled, they'll just be spent in a different place. 

E3 hasn't been good in over 10 years.

There is no point to ANY award show anymore. No point whatsoever. Every award show has been rigged and manipulated to the point where they're about advertising and marketing more than the product.. and of course the people who go to watch these shows.

As I said to people on other websites regarding what Will Smith did in this year's Oscars, it's all a stupid show that is made purely on algorithms. California is a sinking ship and most any show held there has this Hollywood mentality of needing the views and money at the cost of actual quality.

You're not learning anything from the Oscars and Grammys. You didn't learn anything from last year's E3 or the absolute shit show that was The Game Awards, which had people like Jim Carrey try to put on a performance despite the fact they are decades past their prime.

All news is generated on the internet at this point in time as we head further towards an isolationist society bent on dystopia. Not that Twitter or Instagram are really any good since every other developer and publisher I come across on those platforms is some condescending, self entitled moron posting in an echo chamber. All while the pitchfork Twitter mobs try their best to throw mud towards the developers to try to get them to change their perspective.

News these days on the big gaming websites is prefabricated crap anyway.

24 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

... I fail to see how E3 being cancelled this year has anything to do with the Matrix.

I intended for my quip to be a joke, but this is the reality we are heading towards. We spend more time than ever on an electronic screen, wasting precious hours typing into a void while actual communication continues to get worse.

E3 was already becoming irrelevant 10 years ago in 2012, so it was only a matter of time. One of the last times I was really excited about E3 was the time when Sony tried to promote and advertise their PlayStation 3 when it was hot and new. That was a long time ago, so that goes to show how long it has been since I really gave a damn about it.

• Like 1

What a shame, I loved seeing E3 until 2019. I still remember that E3 2015 with The Last Guardian, Shenmue and FFVII Remake, still the best announcement ever imo. Also I loved that everything happened in a few days so the companies have to do everything to "win" the E3.

• Like 1

If E3 had returned, that would've probably been more news-worthy. Because at this point, we don't expect E3 to happen.

But yeah, COVID was just one of the reasons for the previous cancellations. As people pointed out, companies and publishers don't really want to deal with ESA anymore.

We'll see if they reimagine what E3 is and return in 2023 or it dies forever.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

It's just Club Penguin for adults.

A future where all social media is just a Club Penguin would be better for humanity in a way that is hard to describe given the limitations of English. Let's do this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

E3 started going downhill since they made it a journalist only affair and stopped letting it be open to the public. the decline in interest has nothing to do with the pandemic

It was already like that for a long time before they opened it to the public, which was - relatively speaking - rather recent by comparison.

And to say it had nothing to do with the pandemic, which has caused them to cancel physical and digital showings thus allowing other events to fill the void, is just plain incorrect.

It's certainly not the only reason behind the decline in interest, however, but it has contributed to and expedited it a lot these last three years.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2