E3 2022 canceled

MidnightDragon

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd like to hope E3 comes back - I was always a fan of taking a week off and seeing all the press conferences (some epic, some cringe) and also seeing all the action on the show floor from all the companies and all the interviews from IGN, GameSpot, etc. All the game reveals. Something about everything happening at once was pretty cool

I know it's a ton of work for the companies to do though with months of preparation, so I'm sure they're probably not stressing there being no E3 this year lol

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

I was always a fan of taking a week off and seeing all the press conferences (some epic, some cringe) and also seeing all the action on the show floor from all the companies and all the interviews from IGN, GameSpot, etc. All the game reveals. Something about everything happening at once was pretty cool

Yeah, good old times. Even though I never took a week off because it was nighttime here when the conferences aired.

But back in the day they showed early development stages at E3. Now, they release games in that stage. Because, game as a service, right? So what would a modern E3 look like? Announcement of the +/super/awesome/NFT/exclusive skin/... edition?

I think both the people behind E3 and the publishers realized there's not really a need for such event because people will buy games anyway. And, in fact, we do.

On 2022-01-06 at 9:50 PM, AJ_Radio said:

The internet killed E3, just like it has for a great many things. With the COVID pandemic, everyone is maintaining a social distancing rule, so the idea of in-person is completely out the window.

Not sure where you're living but the world has pretty much moved on from covid for the most part (as it should) so I don't think that's the reason behind it. 

• Like 2

On 07/01/2022 at 11:47 AM, enaysoft said:

At the same time, no idea why they don't just have an event on PSN or whereever

They used to do this on PSHome, a virtual recreation of the event/space you could attend and explore with your avatar then watch live footage from the different presentations.

2 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Not sure where you're living but the world has pretty much moved on from covid for the most part (as it should) so I don't think that's the reason behind it. 

Wrong. While vaccines have been given to most people, we still have people getting COVID. 

My local college down the road from me still have most of its facilities locked. You need COVID vaccination to get in, all classes outside of online only courses require this information to enroll. 

We are getting out of it, but we haven’t truly moved on from it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Wrong. While vaccines have been given to most people, we still have people getting COVID. 

My local college down the road from me still have most of its facilities locked. You need COVID vaccination to get in, all classes outside of online only courses require this information to enroll. 

We are getting out of it, but we haven’t truly moved on from it.

Mate they're literally packing out stadiums with thousands of people and almost none of em are wearing masks I don't see how they can't host e3 when there's a lot less people attending compared to these other events. I'm gonna assume you either live in Australia, France or a Democratic state cause a lot of places now have dropped all covid restrictions.

3 hours ago, EightBitArtist said:

covid disappeared as soon as russia invaded ukraine lol. news outlets be like "on to the next thing to fear monger the public with!"

Someone that gets it lmao. Give it some time they'll find something else to fear monger and divide people over. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, enaysoft said:

ALT + F4

i pressed this on my keyboard and found an Easter Egg in Firefox for a free unique NFT. I wonder if Chrome or Safari is doing something similar.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

i pressed this on my keyboard and found an Easter Egg in Firefox for a free unique NFT. I wonder if Chrome or Safari is doing something similar.

In ye old days of old (1999)

That keyboard shortcut was how to enable Rainbow text when using Yahoo Chat chat rooms when somebody asked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Mate they're literally packing out stadiums with thousands of people and almost none of em are wearing masks I don't see how they can't host e3 when there's a lot less people attending compared to these other events. I'm gonna assume you either live in Australia, France or a Democratic state cause a lot of places now have dropped all covid restrictions.

Aussie here, don't wanna go off topic here but thanks for the shoutout. It's amazing really how in the international eyes, the general population of my country comes off as laid back, including (but not limited to) bogans punching kangaroos with one hand, the other holding a can of VB and eshays loitering Westfields and train stations wearing their fake Gucci bumbags made in Thailand, but our politicians, bureaucrats and suits working at local, state/territory and federal government levels? Well, they're another story I frankly don't have the energy to rant about right here right now, let alone want to on a gaming/trophy forum leading up to a federal election next month or whatever.

Now for my thoughts on the cancellation of E3 for another year: Meh.

The year is 2022, why spend money on hosting/managing a video games convention right next door to Disneyland California (or wherever the fuck in L.A. it's hosted, does anybody really care anymore anyway?) of this kind when gaming journalists and stay-at-home reddit users alike will announce/leak all the shit that was suppose to be at said convention at no cost?

TL;TLTR: E3 died Because the Internet.

Edited by PMV
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, enaysoft said:

That keyboard shortcut was how to enable Rainbow text when using Yahoo Chat chat rooms when somebody asked.

Oh wow, that seems to work in Discord also! Thanks for the tip.

5 hours ago, subzy84 said:

They used to do this on PSHome, a virtual recreation of the event/space you could attend and explore with your avatar then watch live footage from the different presentations.

They were always a bit shaky in Home, but always pretty fun.  Could just wonder around and look at stuff, watch/download trailers, get free themed items for your avatar/home and chit chat with other people. The funny thing is, this is still recreateable in current tech. VRChat is a surprisingly robust tool. There have been conventions of various fandoms being held there since the pandemic hit.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 7:44 PM, AJ_Radio said:

E3 hasn't been good in over 10 years.

E3 was already becoming irrelevant 10 years ago in 2012, so it was only a matter of time. One of the last times I was really excited about E3 was the time when Sony tried to promote and advertise their PlayStation 3 when it was hot and new. 

uhhh I'm not going to look, but i already know you're wrong. It's also based on opinion.  

E3 was irrelevant to you once YOU were no longer excited about it.  Seems like you're pretty full of yourself, like its your way or no way. 

I could say more but I'd rather not get another warning. 

---

As for E3 being cancelled, it doesn't bother me. Its nice having smaller events scattered through the year like State of Play, Nintendo Directs, and just devs themselves releasing info. Nobody is being forced to come up with something for show for E3 anymore. Gives the devs a break of sorts and not needing to show off footage of stuff years away still that may change entirely by release.

As someone who buys nearly every new big title day 1 even though i rarely play them all (I'm a collector), whether a game has E3 buzz or not, if I'm hyped enough for it or hear enough about it through word of mouth, sites like this, other better events like gamescom, ill buy it just cause.

I think with the development time games take nowadays there's no need for big yearly events. Just show the game at a state of play, nintendo direct, or something when it's actually ready.

Especially when things get delayed so much now. 

Edited by Infected Elite
  • Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 4:52 PM, woggly4 said:

Yeah, good old times. Even though I never took a week off because it was nighttime here when the conferences aired.

But back in the day they showed early development stages at E3. Now, they release games in that stage. Because, game as a service, right? So what would a modern E3 look like? Announcement of the +/super/awesome/NFT/exclusive skin/... edition?

I think both the people behind E3 and the publishers realized there's not really a need for such event because people will buy games anyway. And, in fact, we do.

E3 became a gimmick just like all the other award shows. It didn't have much value anyway because over the years E3 practically became a joke. There was a time ages ago when E3 was actually good, when peoples primary source to look for information was magazines and word of mouth, when the internet was in its infancy stages. But now that the internet is full blown mainstream and cable/fiber internet has enabled most anyone in a first world country to livestream and download games at will, E3 is basically obsolete.

It was a dinosaur that was already dying.

I'm not bothered by the lack of E3. I agree that it just doesn't have much of a raison d'etre in the internet era. This is similar to the way all the gaming news sites have pretty much taken the place of magazines. A publisher could just put a video on their YouTube channel, say "try the demo", and release a free playable demo to a digital store such as PSN. Surely that's got to be a cheaper way to advertise than renting a booth at the venue.

Sony sure did more than fine without E3 2019.

Having a big event where all of the years biggest announcements came from from the industries heaviest hitters, was always kinda fun for me.  Probably the last 5-10 years or so in particular I'd make a point to watch it.  Got worse once Sony and others started dropping out.  No E3 at all is kind of an end of an era really.

I can't really wrap my head around why people prefer the sporadic, slow drip of gaming news trickling through social media... but to each their own.