Lego games on PS3. Are they as glitchy/buggy as they seem?

GUDGER666

So I'm into PS3 lately and going through my backlog, i think i have most if not all Lego games. But I've never played one, looked at a few through the forums and guides and i see they either freeze a lot, have glitchy trophies or both. 

Are they really this bad? Are there any that don't have issues? 

They aren't faultless by any means but the only time they are a problem is when you get locked out of 100% and have to do the whole game over. At this point the games in which that can happen and how to avoid it are well documented from what I know. For example don't use the mid stage suspend points to save and quit your game, always save/quit in the hub areas.

I would read the forums individually for each game and see what type of glitches are known for the game and be aware of it when you play so as to not make the same mistake.  

In most cases people describe freezing during CGI cutscenes, if this occurs its a bad disc.  It should not happen on a digital copy.

As far as gameplay goes I've never experienced a gamebreaking glitch, or one that caused a full restart.  I don't recommend using the cheats, however I did once during Lego Star Wars 3 The Clone Wars because I was concerned the game was giving me the minikit glitch, when in fact it wasn't.

On games like Marvel it did freeze during the levels during gameplay, so in those levels I do recommend saving at the save points throughout.  That way you don't have to restart the whole level over.  

The one thing you have to be aware of though or cautious of is the "trapped" glitch, where if you jump or fall into a wrong spot your character gets trapped.  It's at this point where you need to switch to the other character and keep moving on.  The game will fix itself when you get to a different section of the level.  Very rarely though this trapped point can occur in a strange spot where you keep dying over and over again, and are unable to switch characters.  The only way to fix this is to either quit the level which is annoying and restart.  Or go get a second controller, turn it on, join the game, then hit start on controller 1 and drop out.  Walk around for a bit until the game fixes, and then join as player 1, and drop out as player 2 and you can keep going.

The only one i really struggled with was harry potter years 1-4 but that was notoriously the most broken of the ps3 games. All the other ones were fine and at worst i got a crash or two or maybe an area where i get stuck in the scenery but were still perfectly plattable.

• Like 2

I just finished LEGO Indiana Jones 2 on PS3 recently and had zero problems on progression or trophies.

If you read old forum posts and guides you'll see a number of recurring problems reported.  My understanding is that these all occurred with the original 1.00 release version.

The current version is 1.01 in the US and seems to have fixed all the bugs.  I would play it with confidence!

• Like 1

Played them all and platinumed them all and I don't recall having any major bugs or glitches with any of them. Your character or the AI character will get stuck every now and then forcing you to either backtrack in the level or restart a checkpoint occasionally. That's pretty much it but that goes for every Lego game. 

Maybe I'm lucky but whenever people complain about having issues with certain games, I end up playing them and not having any. Every time this happens so I don't think it's so much the games being so poor as it is people online greatly exaggerating things because they had a poor experience. I think online forums can definitely give you a skewed perception on how well games run and perform as they almost always lean to the negative which makes sense because people are more inclined to leave negative comments when the run into an issue and they need to vent it to other people rather than those who have had a positive experience. 

I've played a lot of LEGO games, all of them have had some issues here and there, but nothing that was majorly game breaking...just annoying more than anything, I think the most annoying one that's present even in the most modern ones on PS4 is your character getting stuck in scenery and you have no choice but to restart and possibly lose progress. 

The bigger issue is that the older games on PS3 usually had game mechanics that make you scratch your head as to why TT Games thought it was a good idea to implement it that way. Like an infamous one is the horrible flying controls in LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 1. You can't just fly with the joysticks, because that makes too much sense. You fly on a straight path and ascend and descend with :cross:  and :circle:...but the movement isn't smooth or fluid, you either rise or fall too much in racing mini games that require a bit of precision. 

Here's to hoping a new game engine in LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga does them some much needed good for the franchise.

13 hours ago, Viper said:

I've played a lot of LEGO games, all of them have had some issues here and there, but nothing that was majorly game breaking...just annoying more than anything, I think the most annoying one that's present even in the most modern ones on PS4 is your character getting stuck in scenery and you have no choice but to restart and possibly lose progress. 

The bigger issue is that the older games on PS3 usually had game mechanics that make you scratch your head as to why TT Games thought it was a good idea to implement it that way. Like an infamous one is the horrible flying controls in LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 1. You can't just fly with the joysticks, because that makes too much sense. You fly on a straight path and ascend and descend with :cross:  and :circle:...but the movement isn't smooth or fluid, you either rise or fall too much in racing mini games that require a bit of precision. 

Here's to hoping a new game engine in LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga does them some much needed good for the franchise.

Dude I remember getting those races done and screaming in rage. Horrible horrible controls.

Anyways as everyone else has said the PS3 Lego games are generally stable and shouldn't be a problem to go through and platinum. I've plat'd a lot of Lego games (a good chunk of them on PS3) so you'll be fine.

Other than getting stuck in a death loop or the occasional crashes they are just like any other game. Hell the death loop glitch still happens on the newest Lego games too haha.

17 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

So I'm into PS3 lately and going through my backlog, i think i have most if not all Lego games. But I've never played one, looked at a few through the forums and guides and i see they either freeze a lot, have glitchy trophies or both. 

Are they really this bad? Are there any that don't have issues? 

I platted lego batman 2, marvel super heroes and lord of the rings, those 3 had zero issues, i recall none in lego movie either but that game was boring. I do recall people having issues with the lego harry potter games on PS3 and i think there's a few lego games with zero trophies like the first indiana jones and star wars complet4e but those had no issues to my knowledge in terms of gameplay.

If worried about a game just backup your save.

The only PS3 LEGO game I remember having issues with was The Hobbit. It would keep freezing near the end of levels requiring me to have to play through them again. One level it kept freezing at the same cutscene between the 2nd and 3rd part of the level when I was replaying it. I ended up having to start at the 3rd part to clean that up, then do parts 1 & 2 and save and quit out when I'd collected everything, thus avoiding the problematic cutscene.

I'm playing rn Lego Jurassic World and it seems if you use a save point during the level, the trophy related to that level won't pop. This happened to me, just look in my profile i got all levels finished trophy (got in 2015) but still missing some of the trophy related levels (got those this year). Also if you don't patch the game you might see some minor level glitches like holes that you can't get out or the custscene don't trigger at certain point, making you to restart the level.