Pachter Saying PS is Doomed

LegendExeter

Click bait article. PS doesn’t need to buy studios since they already have the talent needed to create great exclusives. I doubt PS is going anywhere but up. They’ve “won” every console generation so far. Yes even the PS3 have sold more than the X360. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

PlayStation isn't the company that did a hard pass on new tech such as VR.

PlayStation isn't the company that was incabable of creating a single new IP or game for the launch of their new gen console.

PlayStation isn't the company the simply increase the power of their new console in a linear fashion without accounting for changes in technology.

I'll take what PlayStation is doing over what Xbox isn't.

The naming structure Sony first used isn't an infrastrucure issue and is not anything you can use to even gauge if Sony has the technology prowess to support PSN in the future.  The infrastructure/backbone doesn't even need to be owned or operated by Sony. They could pay for AWS or Google Cloud or even MS Azure. As you said, as a consumer you don't really get to see or know about the backbone of these services.  As a consumer it is just does it work or does it not work. The former remains true for PSN in a consistent enough way for people.

Fair enough on VR.  I'd consider Game Pass and the Switch conceptually to be more impactful on the industry, and much bigger risks/shake ups with much bigger pay offs for their respective companies.  VR, Move controllers, DualSense... maybe I should give Sony more credit for at least trying some stuff (even if it's mostly somewhere between niche, unsuccessful and a nothingburger)... but I wouldn't necessarily be sitting here giving Microsoft kudos for the Kinect either so /shrug.  Sony has been on top for so long, it might be silly to want them to stir their own pot more (why risk everything for no reason) but it's stagnation all the same.

Like I said... I don't agree with the dramatic opinions, but I can see where the ammunition for said opinions might be coming from.  Playstation isn't going anywhere... though complacency may someday lose them the crown, and if they ever get as low as "post-Xbox 360 launch success, pre-Game Pass" Xbox, who knows.

The concern with naming isn't infrastructure. I'm sure their servers, wherever they are, are running admirably... the concern is that they didn't know enough to generate accounts with a unique identifier that wasn't their name lol (as evidenced by the fact that changing the name severed the connection in so many places).  That's database management 101.  It's like they hired a freshman in college, a particularly bad one, to design their backend.  Who knows what else is going on back there.

Edited by Dreakon13

20 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

This is the same dude who predicted that the Wii would never hope to compete with sales of PS3 and Xbox 360, that the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii would be the last ever consoles, and then that the Xbox One would outsell the PS4?

What a visionary. 1f602.png

guy is a certified dunce

16 hours ago, Quink666 said:

Click bait article. PS doesn’t need to buy studios since they already have the talent needed to create great exclusives. I doubt PS is going anywhere but up. They’ve “won” every console generation so far. Yes even the PS3 have sold more than the X360. 

the Wii outsold the PS3 in droves

Edited by MonaSaxPayne
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

While the PlayStation brand could possibly falter a little, I'd say the chances of it completely failing are near zero. I don't rule out PS6 (with PS3 in 2006, PS4 in '13, and PS5 in '20, maybe 2027?), Xbox Series X 2, or Nintendo Switch 2.

The Wii held its own, even if it was closer to original Xbox in power while competing against PS3 and X360. Wii U may have failed but Nintendo survived. It was just a bump in the road and they are one of the big three now with Switch, even if it's not the strongest hardware. Beside being the only place for Nintendo franchises, another thing in its favor is that it's both a portable and a console. So much for Pachter's predictions. If he was right, Nintendo would have pulled a Sega and became a developer for PS, Xbox, and PC. No one can predict anything with 100% certainty. I think he tries to look too far ahead.

23 hours ago, Eraezr said:

Low key I kinda want PlayStation to get bitch-slapped so they can work harder to impress Consumer-sama. Added bonus if it gets Jim Ryan out and undoes his damage.

Not to agree or disagree with your comment, just looking for some additional info: what damage do you think Jim Ryan has done to the Playstation brand? 

3 hours ago, Paperclip1776 said:

Not to agree or disagree with your comment, just looking for some additional info: what damage do you think Jim Ryan has done to the Playstation brand?

He's overkill into the numbers spreadsheet profit thing. I get that executives have a corporate responsibility to turn in profits but not to the levels of:

• Ending the free upgrade for PS studio cross-gens like with the HFW debacle.
  • Pushing GT7 to have a GaaS/microtransaction crap rather than a purebred racing game in the vein of GT4-GT6.
  • This guy has a perverse belief that he thinks he can speak for everyone in a hyperbolic which adds to this persona that he's bullish/sociopathic against everyone and anyone who doesn't see it his way. "Nobody wants to play old games." (then wtf is PS+ Premium charging legacy for??) "Everyone is happy with the breakaway with PS exclusives". He's also bit of a cunning bastard too. A bunch of Sony PlayStation lay-offs were timed with big news drops like the reveal of the DualSense controller - right on the same day. Anytime Sony PlayStation is about to make an unpopular decision, he offsets it with something else.
  • After the initial attempt to shut down the PS3 store completely (they backtracked), Jim's garnered this aura that Sony leadership has these fogs of uncertainties and lacking of confidence, when it comes to server support for first party MPs from precious generation. Like I'm in this headspace where I'm unconsciously bracing for more bad moves from PlayStation.

When this guy first came on, I was willing to be open-minded and I even credited two positives he gave to Sony. One +ve is pushing Shawn Layden out. Layden was not good enough in his job that he completely fumbled the Gravity Rush series marketing and distribution for NA territories and he blew it fucking hard when he shuttered Evolution Studios. All that hype and success of Sony first party during the PS4 era was hard carried by the studios themselves. When it came to the meta-production/marketing, Layden was inadequate for that job. The other idiotic thing Shawn Layden did was deluding himself into thinking he was in the right to export his personal American socio-political values to PlayStation global - like yeah dude ? If there's one thing America is famous for it's making decisions forcibly against other people's sovereignties, leading from one clusterfuck to another. We can put aside CIA genocides, war crimes or West Papua; look at how corporate-America has sodomised its own people like in medical or banking sectors. Now this American suit wants to be censorious to Japanese studios creative initiative? Because his own backyard has sane happenings? Fuck - off. American values has a shit ton of problems and it is one of the last cultures on the planet that deserves to have a moral authority.

The other +ve I'll give Jim (though one may argue that Andrew House would have done the same or better), was that he gave generous amounts of investment for PS5's technology to Mark Cerny.

I get that a degree of corporate responsibility is absolutely necessary for men in his position. They have to govern a complex machine of thousands of employees, deal with complexities and technicalities in a consumer market that's disrupted by so many things (semiconductor shortage, technology advancements, trends differing country to country), in a market where hardcore gamers are more agnostic in seeing through bullshit, compared to say Hollywood. But there is a line where you can have corporate responsibility and good profit (look at the PS4 era, PS2 era), and going batshit psycho in the monetisation gouging.

PlayStation's core fanbase is currently being sustained by a lot of gamers who got in at the PS1-PS2 era. A lot of that goodwill is responsible for PS4 and PS5's success with everything else snowballing from the select right choices Sony has made this generation. But Jim is burning out a lot of those core values, leaving only superficial security for the brand in the future, as gamers grow out of the hobby and new generations arrive in.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Eraezr said:

He's overkill into the numbers spreadsheet profit thing. I get that executives have a corporate responsibility to turn in profits but not to the levels of:

• Ending the free upgrade for PS studio cross-gens like with the HFW debacle.
  • Pushing GT7 to have a GaaS/microtransaction crap rather than a purebred racing game in the vein of GT4-GT6.
  • This guy has a perverse belief that he thinks he can speak for everyone in a hyperbolic which adds to this persona that he's bullish/sociopathic against everyone and anyone who doesn't see it his way. "Nobody wants to play old games." (then wtf is PS+ Premium charging legacy for??) "Everyone is happy with the breakaway with PS exclusives". He's also bit of a cunning bastard too. A bunch of Sony PlayStation lay-offs were timed with big news drops like the reveal of the DualSense controller - right on the same day. Anytime Sony PlayStation is about to make an unpopular decision, he offsets it with something else.
  • After the initial attempt to shut down the PS3 store completely (they backtracked), Jim's garnered this aura that Sony leadership has these fogs of uncertainties and lacking of confidence, when it comes to server support for first party MPs from precious generation. Like I'm in this headspace where I'm unconsciously bracing for more bad moves from PlayStation.

When this guy first came on, I was willing to be open-minded and I even credited two positives he gave to Sony. One +ve is pushing Shawn Layden out. Layden was not good enough in his job that he completely fumbled the Gravity Rush series marketing and distribution for NA territories and he blew it fucking hard when he shuttered Evolution Studios. All that hype and success of Sony first party during the PS4 era was hard carried by the studios themselves. When it came to the meta-production/marketing, Layden was inadequate for that job. The other idiotic thing Shawn Layden did was deluding himself into thinking he was in the right to export his personal American socio-political values to PlayStation global - like yeah dude 1f644.png If there's one thing America is famous for it's making decisions forcibly against other people's sovereignties, leading from one clusterfuck to another. We can put aside CIA genocides, war crimes or West Papua; look at how corporate-America has sodomised its own people like in medical or banking sectors. Now this American suit wants to be censorious to Japanese studios creative initiative? Because his own backyard has sane happenings? Fuck - off. American values has a shit ton of problems and it is one of the last cultures on the planet that deserves to have a moral authority.

The other +ve I'll give Jim (though one may argue that Andrew House would have done the same or better), was that he gave generous amounts of investment for PS5's technology to Mark Cerny.

I get that a degree of corporate responsibility is absolutely necessary for men in his position. They have to govern a complex machine of thousands of employees, deal with complexities and technicalities in a consumer market that's disrupted by so many things (semiconductor shortage, technology advancements, trends differing country to country), in a market where hardcore gamers are more agnostic in seeing through bullshit, compared to say Hollywood. But there is a line where you can have corporate responsibility and good profit (look at the PS4 era, PS2 era), and going batshit psycho in the monetisation gouging.

PlayStation's core fanbase is currently being sustained by a lot of gamers who got in at the PS1-PS2 era. A lot of that goodwill is responsible for PS4 and PS5's success with everything else snowballing from the select right choices Sony has made this generation. But Jim is burning out a lot of those core values, leaving only superficial security for the brand in the future, as gamers grow out of the hobby and new generations arrive in.

Great response and strong points, thank you.  You definitely have a tenacious position on this topic, backed up with a lot of knowledge. 

It's clear you understand business, the need for profits, current trends and challenges, and the myriad of complexities running a large corporation.  For me, I don't take a hard line on most of the accurate points you made.  For instance, Shawn Layden.  I agree with you on your points but I thought he did more good than bad.  I thought his leadership for the very successful PS4 lineup was a game changer and made PS4 a must-buy system; games like GOW, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-man and others were under his leadership.  He was also the leader responsible for the acquisition for Insomniac, arguably the most successful Playstation Studio (in terms of game sales and system sellers) and one of the best in the world.  Overall, I thought Shawn help change the culture during the PS4 generation where Playstation is now associated with AAA, blockbuster first party games.  I don't think PS had that culture during the PS3 era, at least not yet.  Because of the success of first party games, I think he also setup the PS5 to be the most desirable console on the market.  Too bad semiconductors have been an issue or I think the PS5 would be breaking all kinds of records.  

Regarding GT7, old games comment, ending free upgrades, the initial PS3 store shutdown; I don't really take a passionate position on those because I look at them as the cost of doing business.  Not every decision is going to be a home run, or good.  Every company has major setbacks and fumbles because of bad decisions.  GT7, I agree with you at this moment in time but I believe they will turn that game around.  First time they are trying out GaaS for that series.  As games evolve, so does business practices.  As you know all companies, especially public, multi-billion dollar ones have thousands of shareholders that want bigger profits every year.  If the current leadership doesn't improve profits/revenue, they replace them with leaders that will.  I think Jim's position to go to PC and eventually mobile, is a good move to increase profits without damaging the brand.  GaaS was absolutely going to happen, regardless of who was in charge because Sony feels like they are leaving money on the table.  I think they are positioning 10 multiplayer/GaaS by 2026 because they know they only need 1 or 2 to hit.  Right or wrong, every company is chasing Fortnite's success.  I have never played, or will play, Fortnite but their success is undeniable.  

In the end, some of the decisions made by Sony and the evolution of the industry will leave some of us behind in the hopes that the next generation of gamers will be larger and more active in certain types of games that drive stronger profits.

Thanks again for your response.  You're someone I think I could probably talk to for hours on these topics.  

Edited by Paperclip1776
Grammar update

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2022 at 3:21 PM, Paperclip1776 said:

Great response and strong points, thank you.  You definitely have a tenacious position on this topic, backed up with a lot of knowledge. 

[. . .]

In the end, some of the decisions made by Sony and the evolution of the industry will leave some of us behind in the hopes that the next generation of gamers will be larger and more active in certain types of games that drive stronger profits.

Thanks again for your response.  You're someone I think I could probably talk to for hours on these topics.  

Well - I guess time will tell with the fellow's announced retirement.

• Like 1