The Last of Us - HBOMax

LastMinuteSavior

33 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Why am I, a 31 year old straight man, lying in bed despairing at how I’ll never have the love in my life that two fictional older gay men had?

?

Same.

17 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

Episode 3 broke me

im crying so hard everykne tears were running down my face I had to stop for min

want-need-this.gif

I got you buddy.

• Like 1

The thing that got me emotional the most was Frank being sick and wanting to die, and seing Bill anguishing about the propect of being left alone.

In general I'm against giving up. But only those who've been sick can really judge how much suffering sickness brings.

It might be the only thing love can't solve.

I thought they dealt very well with the subject.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior

Gosh I was till crying af re times after the episode I really hav eto not think about it

i think the framing of their final moments mixed with the music is just amazing at capturing the beauty and tragedy of their relationship . 

fuck , as someone still sometimes afraid of my gay side I needed an episode lkke this . The world needs more representation like this .

4 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

this show was not primarily made for purist diehard fans of the game after all

It's not just that, something people should keep in mind is that something that works in a game won't necessarily work in a different medium. This is something Douglas Adams understood, and why "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" had differences between the radio show, the TV show, the books, the game, and so on, because he was constantly reworking things so that they would work best for the chosen medium. And what we've seen is Mazin and Druckmann doing the same for the show. 

I thought it was a shit episode.  No point in pushing this relationship to the main stage when it’s completely insignificant to the overall story.  Who gives a fuck?  Did we need an in depth episode detailing Joel and Tess' romantic relationship?  Hell no.  What's the point? There are more important things going on here to have these two playing piano, painting pictures, and crying about each other.  I was dying to see Bill and Ellie’s banter, the bloater, the battle at Bill’s, but instead it’s these two assholes eating strawberries and planning a wedding.  GTFO with this nonsense. 

1 hour ago, kinnyman said:

I thought it was a shit episode.  No point in pushing this relationship to the main stage when it’s completely insignificant to the overall story.  Who gives a fuck?  Did we need an in depth episode detailing Joel and Tess' romantic relationship?  Hell no.  What's the point? There are more important things going on here to have these two playing piano, painting pictures, and crying about each other.  I was dying to see Bill and Ellie’s banter, the bloater, the battle at Bill’s, but instead it’s these two assholes eating strawberries and planning a wedding.  GTFO with this nonsense. 

The whole point is to show what Joel can become . It’s actually the same as the game jist handed differently : bill in the game is warning of what Joel can become where as the show is a sign of what he can become 

• Like 1

Just how meh the show has been, made me want to play the game. Just got done with meeting up with Tommy. And I’m loving the game so far. Some frustrating parts but really good.

As far as last episode, it would have been better to keep all the gay scenes out of the episode and just give us a back story as to why Bill and Frank had a falling out.

Edited by He1senzerg

Just finished watching episode 4.

Enjoyed watching Ellie finally bonding with Joel with an assist from a certain little book...

FoQRP3nX0AECBvm?format=jpg&name=large

Not so sure about Kathleen, her personal agenda, or the changes to "the hunters", but lets see how all that plays into Henry and Sam's story.

Oh, be advised, because of the Super Bowl, next week's episode will release earlier, on Friday, at 9:00 pm ET.

• Like 4

After a horrendous start to the episode tonight thanks entirely to CraveTV having a monopoly over streaming HBOMax in Canada. Finally was able to watch this episdoe, albeit an hour and a half late because of CraveTV app issues. 

I think this is a really well done episode, it was nice to see some bonding with Joel and Ellie, and while you can still see some dettachment with Joel from Ellie (where he only considers her cargo) their father and daughter relationship is slowly blossoming and coming to light. 

Can't wait for the next episdoe as long as CraveTV doesn't crash again. 

• Like 1

Episode 4 pretty much nailed it home that I think Bella was a poor choice to play Ellie and it's starting to really drag the whole thing down for me. She's reciting Ellie's lines but the performance is just not as captivating as it was with the digital version of Ellie in the games. Like you can tell she's acting and not becoming the character she's playing unlike Pedro as Joel who is doing a phenomenal job, just that disconnect with Ellie is hard to ignore and get over. Just not feeling her performance. 

The episode itself was a'ight even if its whole purpose was to foreshadow and introduce Henry and Sam. And this whole Kathleen character and why she's hunting them adds an interesting dynamic that I suppose will get fleshed out next week. But again just like last week's episode, it's fleshing out another side plot with side characters that doesn't really have any significant effect on the main plot. All this foreshadowing and backstory for characters that will also get killed off after an episode or two tops. It's nice to get these backstories for people who played the games but at the same time, it's hard to see how new viewers would be interested in all this backstory for 2 more minor, random side characters and be spending this much time on it after they already just had a full episode dedicated to 2 minor, random side characters. It only disrupts the flow of what people are tuning in for and that's Joel and Ellie.

At least Henry and Sam actually meet Ellie in this version and they didn't get rid of them prematurely like they did Bill so their characters are already 10x more impactful than Bill's was. 

In other words, I'm getting bored with this show already. 

3 hours ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

Uhm, episode 4 made another big change in the story: instead of the hunter, or whatever they were in the game, these people are more organized and militarized. They are WLF basically. 

Why introduce them now? 

Episode was good, but all these differences from the game are really starting to bother me. 

Pretty sure the hunters are there to give more backstory to Henry and Sam, and also it shows what kind of man Joel used to be.

I personally enjoy that the show's plot isn't just the game with real people.

• Like 1

Watched episode 4. Better episode and loved that this episode showed more of the country. The loves sign was a nice touch. 

Might be one of the best episodes of the show so far. Still not a fan with the actress that played Ellie. 

Edited by He1senzerg

4 minutes ago, He1senzerg said:

Still not a fan with the actress that played Ellie. 

Me neither, don't know how anybody can say she was a good choice for Ellie. She looks nothing like her and her acting is pretty awful on top of that. She was good in Game of Thrones when she was only on screen for select scenes, but she ain't cutting it as a lead. 

Somebody like Kaitlyn Dever would've been so much better. Looks more like Ellie and a far better actress too. 

39 minutes ago, Juzota said:

Pretty sure the hunters are there to give more backstory to Henry and Sam, and also it shows what kind of man Joel used to be.

I personally enjoy that the show's plot isn't just the game with real people.

Yes, I get that. Plus, the thing underground (if you watched the trailer you know what that is, since we didn't get a certain scene with Bill). 

But they are WLF. The ending song was the one that Ellie sing in the trailer for the second game. It can't be a coincidence they chose that song. 

2 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

Me neither, don't know how anybody can say she was a good choice for Ellie. She looks nothing like her and her acting is pretty awful on top of that. She was good in Game of Thrones when she was only on screen for select scenes, but she ain't cutting it as a lead. 

Somebody like Kaitlyn Dever would've been so much better. Looks more like Ellie and a far better actress too. 

I don't know how anyone can say she's a bad choice. Looks don't matter- neither Pedro Pascal nor Anna Torv look anything like Joel and Tess yet nobody complains now- and her acting is not bad in the slightest; not liking how she's portraying Ellie (very close to the game though so that would be odd) is one thing but her acting is still good and convincing.

Kaitlyn Dever is a boring fan-casty choice on par with Hugh Jackman as Joel because it was going around since she was in Uncharted 4 in 2016. A good actress but nowadays she's too old to convincingly play a 14 year old anymore.

Try not approaching this as a high-budget LARP because that isn't what it is nor intended to be- gamers are not the target audience for this show and rarely ever are in adaptations, so the looks of a character and game mechanics that don't cross over into the medium are not high priority over telling a good story for folks unfamiliar with the source material; that is who the show is for primarily.

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

If they would have done this show 7-10 years ago, I think Ellen Page would have been a good choice. 

I’m glad we’re getting more backstory about characters. Maybe some story about Tress would be good. Been a fan of Anna Torv since Fringe.