The Last of Us - HBOMax

LastMinuteSavior

6 hours ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Damn.

Episode 2 was excellent.

The action/horror sequence with the clickers was awesome, both interior and exterior sets looked amazing, and Anna Torv was great in this episode.

Also, the different-from-the-game way the Capitol Building encounter went down was really cool. The adjustments to how the cordyceps fungus works are really working in favor of the show.

Yeah I still miss the spores, but what they've done with the tendrils is interesting. 

And Tessa's death scene was just... Mortifying. 

The scene with the dozens of runners swarming their location was insane, like fuck that. 

First episode started out strong, and the second episode has well and truly kept that hype going. 

I'm enjoying the extra bit of back story they are adding in to how the infection started. 

That opening scene to the episode was interesting, and kinda fills in alot of the blanks the game left. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JungleCat20 said:

Another really good episode. The part at the end with Tess was pretty sick. Looking forward to number three. :popcorn:

Episode three is gonna be my favorite cause I absolutely love Bill. I also can’t wait to see his relationship with Frank. I’m curious to see Bills town too!

• Like 1

Very good episode, nailed the introduction of the clickers, the creepy bastards that they are. The bloater introduction later on should be sweet. The hive mind of the infected should be an interesting dynamic, makes up for the fact they removed the spores. 

Bella is still underwhelming as Ellie but the show itself is good enough to where I'm starting to get over this questionable casting choice amongst all the other stellar casting choices. Tess's actress did a phenomenal job in her short stint and it goes without saying but Nick Offerman is going to make a great Bill. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mega-tallica said:

Bella is still underwhelming as Ellie

She's definitely different from Ellie in the games. GoT showed Bella can also be very charismatic, but it's a completely different energy. She simply isn't the lovable jokester with big puppy eyes Ellie is at the start of TLoU.

But, I still think Bella's tour de force is going to be her clash with David. It gets really dark and it changes Ellie. I've always believed that stuff is what they picked Bella Ramsey for.

• Like 4

After a fantastic first episode we got a very good second one. Really liked the Jakarta scenes. Wouldn't mind seeing more of this stuff, it's a great addition. The ending "kiss" scene was creepy and felt a little pointless, but whatever. The museum part was great. Clickers looked awesome. Sure it's CGI, but it looks very good. I agree on others opinions that Bella's interpretion of Ellie is a little different, but since she herself said that she never played the games that's only natural. I like her performance so far and looking forward for her special scenes. And I'm looking forward for next weeks episode, which I already heard a few things from.  

• Like 3

Two episodes in and I'm invested. I do like the differences too but I think two really good lines from the game so far have been left out. It's Joel's line "Don't do this" and Tess' "You know there is more here..." line to Joel. While the show works without them, I personally think having them in would've been that little thing better. Anyway, I'm enjoying it.

I can't praise this show enough. Another fantastic episode from start to finish. I loved the opening sequence in Jakarta. John Hannah's forewarning in episode 1 was pretty scary, but this sequence was so much more frightening because the outbreak had actually started. The mycologist knew it was all over and that nothing could be done and when she delivered that "bomb" line... Chills. 

I really enjoyed the slight changes to other scenes throughout the episode, like in the Capitol building with Tess for example. I have no problems with any of the changes or tweaks to be honest, including the removal of spores and other stuff. I think it's all working brilliantly so far and it's also keeping the experience fresh for people who have played the game, because you never know when or if the show might deviate slightly.

I've heard a lot of reviewers and some other people mention that episode 3 is the standout of the series but also that the show seems to get better and better as it progresses. I find that hard to believe if I'm honest, because I don't see how they could possibly make it any better than it already is, but that only has me even more excited to see the episodes ahead. 

Also a huge win for Neil in the director's chair. He did great ?

• Like 4

First off I want to say I really like the show so far and I really enjoy Pedro and Bella as Joel and Ellie. This thread is overwhelmingly positive and I hate to be critical but...

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the pre-infection stuff and the hivemind changes. It's early days of course and they could bring it round by the end and I hope they do. My issue with it is that, while an integral part of the story, the infection was never really the focal point of The Last of Us. It was the characters.

Having all these scenes before the infection, scientists talking about it, professionals being brought in to inspect bodies, hints at how it spread etc. gives the infection a sense of legitimacy it never needed. I honestly couldn't care less how it works or how it spread. It's just a vehicle for the story of the characters. I also think the hivemind stuff is again, working to complicate the nature of the infection even more when, like I said, I don't think it's that important.

If they continue with this I'm intrigued how they will handle Part II. In Part II the infection is even less important than the first game and with all this set up in the show, it's going to be hard to mostly ignore all that to focus on Ellie and Abby. The freedom of movement the characters have in Part II is also going to be a bit tricky if the mushrooms can sense you and send a horde your way if you take a wrong step.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it for the most part. I'm just concerned about the infection stuff. Hoping they do something interesting with it though and it is kind of nice not knowing where it's all going despite being so familiar with the story.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

r/thelastofus2 and the reactionaries will mald over this news! :awesome: The boogeywoman Abby is back!

Most people loved the game. A majority of the hate and vitriol came from a specific and very vocal minority, quite a few of whom never even played it for themselves, they just parroted whatever their favourite YouTuber/media personality said about it. It's a shame, but it happens with absolutely everything nowadays. It's almost as if people are afraid to think for themselves anymore. That being said, there were also people who genuinely didn't like the game, which is perfectly fine, I don't want to paint everyone with the same brush. I've seen a few reviews from people who didn't like it and they articulate their opinion quite well and although I may disagree with them in the end, I can at least respect their views. The difference is how you handle yourself and put your opinion across to other people. 

I don't know how closely season 2 will follow the second game. They may very well decide to do things differently or space events out a bit further, I really don't know. I'm perfectly happy if they do a one-to-one recreation of Part II. I am interested to see how the general TV-watching audience receives it though. I have a feeling reactions will be quite different once you remove the Gamer™️ crowd 

Edited by The Alchemist
  • Like 3