The Last of Us - HBOMax

LastMinuteSavior

18 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Pedro Pascal, Bella Ramsey and Anna Torv absolutely nailed it in their roles- none of them look like their game counterparts so I'm eternally perplexed as to why why Bella got all the flack for something that overall matters least because the acting was top tier and convincing. Atmosphere, worldbuilding and characterisation were peak, overall stands to how tight the writing was in the game. Very great way to adapt the game to TV so far, the changes may rankle with some (very minor but hey Gamers will be Gamers, this isn't just for them) but I'm very hyped and have zero concerns or worries from here on out, gonna be looking forward to each new episode.

What about Gabriel?! He was awesome as Tommy! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

What about Gabriel?! He was awesome as Tommy! 

Indeed but he was only in the beginning though I very much look forward to seeing more of him too- and Merle Dandridge was great as Marlene but it would be weird if she wasn't given how she was already Marlene in the game!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Indeed but he was only in the beginning though I very much look forward to seeing more of him too- and Merle Dandridge was great as Marlene but it would be weird if she wasn't given how she was already Marlene in the game!

I hope we see what went down between them though. That’s my big want. Did you catch the RDR2 Easter egg?

Such an amazing start to the show. I knew Pedro Pascal would do well based on his previous acting credits and was pleasantly surprised by the rest of the acting. I love that it does more fleshing out of the characters as well. I hope everything continues on this same trajectory but a great start so far!

• Like 2

I thought they knocked it out of the park, especially Nico Parker. Lots of neat little changes, like Tess and Joel's relationship being less ambiguous and building a bit more on what Joel and Sarah's life was like. Looking forward to seeing Ellie get more of a focus, but I thought Bella nailed Ellie's mannerisms from what we saw of her.

Also have to praise Gabriel Luna's accent - when he was on the phone, he sounded exactly like OG Tommy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, poker_1987 said:

Casting is terrible. Story looks like it's a carbon copy from the game. Waste of time

Yeah, I don't know what were you expecting really; it's called The Last of Us, not "A zombie adventure with guns and jokes everywhere, also pop references and Mark Wahlberg"

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jeanoltt said:

Yeah, I don't know what were you expecting really; it's called The Last of Us, not "A zombie adventure with guns and jokes everywhere, also pop references and Mark Wahlberg"

You joking? It was full of hipster pop culture references. That wham bit was cringe.

I tried to watch it as if I never played the games as I think it's more important how the non-gamer crowd perceives it on how successful this show is going to be. Didn't work out too well as the show followed the games waaaaaay more than I expected it would and I ended up finding myself drawing a lot comparisons throughout watching. 

First half was brilliantly done with the extra backstory on Sarah which only made that moment more of a gut shot when it happened. Great casting here for Joel, Tommy and Sarah. They all nail their roles perfectly. 

The 2nd half though struggled to maintain my attention. I'm just not captivated at all so far with Bella's performance as Ellie. She's not commanding the screen or your attention as Ellie in the games did. She's saying what Ellie says and she's acting like Ellie would but not with the same power in the delivery. And she doesn't look anything like Ellie. That matters as a viewer because everybody else resembles their source character except her and it throws it all off. Like when a movie series recasts a character after the first couple of movies. It takes a little bit to become readjusted and accepting of the new casting. 

She didn't have much screen time in the first episode so definitely curious how she develops into the character going forward. Bit of a rocky start with her to be honest. Exceeded expectations overall though especially considering the audience is completely fatigued on the zombie genre at this point so to have a new show about zombies getting this much attention and all these rave reviews is very promising. Look forward to seeing it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Solid-Fisch said:

So what was the easter egg then? Was Mrs. Adler's first name Sadie or what?

The neighbors were the Adlers. Nice little nod to RDR2. At least to me it shows Druckmann appreciates other studios work.

EDIT: I could have sworn Sarah called her Ms Sadie at one point, but the script says otherwise. What sorcery did my brain use?! Either way it’s close enough for me to say it’s a slight EE. Lol

Edited by kdogg_gamer_

Im waiting until all episodes are available.  If they follow the game story then it should be a success.  Also Anna Torv is awesome!

My only wish for the show is that they put all of Ellie’s jokes in it, i will be really impressed.  

Edited by audiopile
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 5:43 PM, LastMinuteSavior said:

Nico Parker as Sarah was my favorite performance of Ep1. I got close to tears in that moment.

Best scene? The part with the old lady in the background. Pretty creepy.

I liked her too. She would've been a natural for an older Clementine in The Walking Dead. Another creepy scene was a kid's hand shaking on the desk when she was in school. ?

• Like 2

From Variety:

‘The Last of Us’ Scores HBO’s Second-Biggest Premiere in More Than a Decade

"The Last of Us” premiere episode has reached more than 10 million viewers across its first two days of availability, with HBO disclosing on Wednesday the show crossed that milestone Tuesday night. That means “The Last of Us” has caught up to “House of the Dragon’s” initial series premiere audience in just two days.

(These are US-only numbers)

That figure makes the “The Last of Us” premiere the second-largest opening for an HBO show since “Boardwalk Empire” premiere in 2010 (...) The only series premiere that tops “The Last of Us” during that time span — which saw the debuts of “Game of Thrones,” “True Detective,” “The Leftovers,” “Westworld,” “Silicon Valley,” “Veep,” “Succession,” “Euphoria” and “Chernobyl,” among other HBO hits — is “House of the Dragon,” which launched last summer to nearly 10 million viewers. “Game of Thrones” itself garnered jut 4.2 million premiere viewers in 2011.

6d4a3bae934845b1a434f782c0d2862e.gif?q=6

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 3