The Last of Us - HBOMax

LastMinuteSavior

I can't wait for this but I did see something the other day which has me somewhat concerned. I'm sure they've done it well but they've removed spores as an infection route apparently and replaced them with 'tendrils' which according to Druckmann were an early concept on the game.

There's a number of key scenes in my mind that relate to spores and usage of gas masks as protection from them which will now be entirely different. Not sure on the reasoning behind the change. My guess is heavy gas mask usage is more restrictive for the actors? Pedro supposedly had issues/complaints about The Mandalorian being in a helmet all the time

Source

https://collider.com/the-last-of-us-cordyceps-infection-explained-neil-druckmann-craig-mazin-comments/

Edited by Cleggworth

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-last-of-us/season-1 

Very positive reviews so far. Lots of praise for the two leads, which more than anything else was imperative that the show got right, and it appears they did get it right so I'm very happy about that. I was optimistic that it would turn out good, so it's nice to see the reviews reflect that. I was already hyped for it and now I can't wait to see it for myself. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-last-of-us/season-1 

Very positive reviews so far. Lots of praise for the two leads, which more than anything else was imperative that the show got right, and it appears they did get it right so I'm very happy about that. I was optimistic that it would turn out good, so it's nice to see the reviews reflect that. I was already hyped for it and now I can't wait to see it for myself. 

Rotten Tomatoes is looking outstanding so far (still early w/ low critic numbers) as well. I have a buddy who worked as an extra on the set over a number of weeks, and he was rather confident in the things he saw / was a part of holding true to the game. Glad HBO grabbed this, I think anything less would have potentially dropped the ball.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

Very positive reviews so far.

5 hours ago, Skurkitty said:

Rotten Tomatoes is looking outstanding so far (still early w/ low critic numbers)

Yup. And there's a lot more reviews popping up. An overwhelmingly positive reception.

Variety, Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair and Hollywood Reporter all give it a 8/10.

Not too shabby for a videogame adaptation, huh?

giphy.webp

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 6:36 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

This seems cool, and looks to be very well made - I'm pretty excited to see it!

It's a little off-putting just how closely they seem to be sticking to the story / visual style etc., but hopefully that's just for the marketing, to make sure folks associate it with the game.

I do worry that if they are just going to do the same story straight, without changing it, then it does beg the question - what's the point?

This should really be a new interpretation of the ideas - the game already did the story its way, and it was pretty excellent - so unless the show is going to deviate and cut its own path, then it runs the risk of just feeling like an imitation, and not having anything new to say or add.

What’s the point?  To get it to a huge new audience in and deliver it in a new and expanded medium.

So many movies come from books.  Really no different.  You want it to be true to the source. Btw, I am sure it will deviate in parts and explore stories barely touched upon in the video game.  And then a small minority will complain about it being different lol.

So glad HBO took this on.  Their track record is fantastic.  I am really hyped.

• Like 1

Everything we could have hoped for happened. Fantastic job by the actress of Tess, that Tommy who nailed the accent more than the original, Joel, everyone was great. Even Ellie who was talked a lot about.

I was so emotional during this, seeing all the little phrases from the game popping on the screen.

Spoilers:

Spoiler

I found only one moment that had a weird execution. During the end, when they make the audience realize how brutal Joel is and how much years have changed him, they reveal that Ellie is infected. Pretty much nothing changes, but such an important moment didn't have impact when they were portraying Joel as a fearless and dangerous man. Even Joel reacted a lot in the game, but they probably didn't find the right way to portray it.

Good decisions were made though, like cutting off the gameplay parts prior to Robert's death, although I wiuld have liked to see his death. The only gameplays parts included were:

1 - When Tess and Joel make it to Robert's basement.

2 - When Tess, Joel and Ellie hide from the guards in the outside.

I noted that they slowed down the momentum of the series, but that's kind of what the game is about, so I understamd the decision. Also, great move to include some characters and the plane collapsing.

Edited by Jeanoltt
  • Like 2

What it is really awesome is that the latinamerican audience gets the same VAs for the TV show as the game. I wanted that for Uncharted and we didn't got it. But now, holy shhh... Justice at last.

• Like 1

First episode was good. The first scene was fantastic with a simple way to explain what is going on for non-gamers and just casual viewers who may be like "wtf is The Last of Us?".

9/10. Bella still isn't convincing me as Ramsay but I'll give her 2 more episodes to do so. Loved the added bits for Sara, where it became a bit more fleshed out.

• Like 1

Yeah , that was a strong first episode and the all to e thobgs they did change or expand upon jist made sense and felt natural . Casting off tje character has been amazing ( seriously the moment the guy who plays tommy opens his mouth he sounded exactly like Tommy should )

it’s insane to me to watch this and he like yeah they nailed it. Of course we still have the rest of the series to go but video game adaptations have been abysmal . 

• Like 2

Just finished watching and I thought it was great. Pretty sure it's gonna get even better in the next episodes, since the beginning in the QZ was always a bit boring to me. I was worried they won't be able to pull off the prologue (the 20 years earlier bit) but it ended up as good or even better than the original imo. Joel is great, Tommy seems better than the original Tommy but I'm still on the fence about Ellie. She feels... Kinda forced at times. 

Definitely looking forward to watching the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

Just finished watching and all I can say is fuck yeah. 

For a first episode they nailed it. 

Kinda glad they havent gone 1-1 with the game, and changed a couple of very small details, still keeping it on the same path as the games story, but adding a little bit of variety.

Without changing anything substantial. 

Only part I thought they rushed a bit was the whole situation surrounding Robert. 

But the apparent firefight between Marlene and Robert makes alot more sense as to why she was injured as opposed to the games kinda glossing over her injury. 

Bella ramsey may not have the looks for Ellie, but damn so far has she nailed Ellie's personality perfectly. 

Also yes everyone raves about how fitting Pedro Pascal is for Joel. 

But I love that they brought Merle Dandridge back to play Marlene.

Obviously she was gonna nail it being the VA for the games...

Her scenes were probably my favourite parts of the first episode. 

Cannot wait for more! 

Edited by Azure Kite
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Azure Kite said:

But the apparent firefight between Marlene and Robert makes alot more sense as to why she was injured as opposed to the games kinda glossing over her injury.

Right? I had this exact thought as well. I felt this was explained much better in the show.

5 hours ago, Azure Kite said:

Bella ramsey may not have the looks for Ellie, but damn so far has she nailed Ellie's personality perfectly.

Agree 100%. I think her appearance might be throwing a few people off, including me at first, but I think she has nailed the character.