The Last of Us - HBOMax

LastMinuteSavior

My only continued gripe is the pacing. 

It just feels like they are rushing the hell through it, jumping from one location to the next without much in between. 

They could have easily done the first game across 2 seasons. 

Fleshed out the world alot more. 

The university episode was very lacklustre. 

No lead up to the science building with all the empty tents outside. 

No story exposition in the form of the recordings they find, which also removed alot of the panic. 

No issue with how Joel got stabbed, but reducing the science building mad rush to just a few guys and the scene only lasting a minute... 

Too rushed. 

• Like 3

The biggest disappointment of this show rears its ugly head again; the complete lack of infected on screen and the active removal of the majority of their threat. 

I get the budget for the 1st season is probably not there yet to support too many infected and action scenes with them but my god, the balance has been atrocious. Can count all the infected scenes on one hand in this entire season and almost all of them happened in the first 2 episodes. Beyond that, you had the end of Episode 5 with the bloater and the very end of the Left Behind episode and that's it. Probably won't have any in the finale either. 

And I have to whole-heartedly agree with the above poster too; they've dedicated 2 hour long episodes to side relationships and love stories that don't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things and sucked up all that precious screen time but yet rush through key moments of the main plot that could've definitely been better fleshed out to be more impactful than what it ended up being. It's pretty terrible.

Too many fumbles this whole first season that I'm definitely not interested or coming back for a Season 2 of this. This is like The Witcher series all over again; so much potential just getting wasted because of self-serving, poor writing and plot choices. 

Absolutely fantastic penultimate episode. I was initially very disappointed and even a little scared to learn that it was only 50 minutes long, but they did a good job with the restrictions they had in place. A lot of people are crying online about the lack of Infected - including the entire scene with David and Ellie - which I understand, but ultimately, if that scene had to be included, something else would need to be removed. They made the correct choice axing it. Not every episode can be 90 minutes long. Likewise, if they made two seasons out of this game, the pacing would have been slow as hell. You may as well just play the game at that point. People seem to forget what an adaptation is supposed to be. It does NOT need to be a complete 1:1. Stop confusing mediums.

The biggest problem I had with this episode is the severe lack of the actual city. Clearly they were on a time crunch and had budget restrictions. It was basically restrained to just the diner. It lacked some of the emotional oomph, witnessing Joel go through a blizzard, murdering several dozen cannibals in order to get to Ellie. Naturally though, this would have been a herculean budget cost. And thankfully we have the game to witness that iconic moment.

The most important part of the episode is that the acting carried. Anybody doubting Bella Ramsey should portray the older and more violent Ellie in Season 2 will be silenced definitively after this episode. Oscar worthy acting for sure. David was sensational. Troy Baker was heart wrenchingly good. This is the first episode where Joel was predominantly featured in the episode and didn't steal the show. Wild.

I didn't think I would like an episode more than Episode 3. I think this is my new favourite. We'll see if Ashley Johnson and Episode 9 can do even better. I'm looking forward to people continuing to complain about the adaptation due to the lack of Infected. Just go watch The Walking Dead.

• Like 1

With every week’s episode, I think to myself, now THAT is my favorite episode.  It keeps getting better and better, and it’s a really high bar.

Only downside is that it is only 9 episodes, could’ve easily been 12.  But I guess it is best to always leave the audience begging for more.

So good as a stand-alone series (HBO has such a strong track record here with wildly-acclaimed dramas) but made even better for those who played/loved the video game.  The nostalgia of it makes me want to play again, the PS5 version.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

I don't mind the lack of infected, without gameplay (with this being a TV show and all) they're more of a background to me. I agree they could've shown a few of them just being there and attacking out of the blue, but I definitely wouldn't want a big scene with Joel and Ellie killing or running from a bunch of infected taking up 10 minutes of screen time just to show some action. After all the zombie/infected/crazy people in all the movies and shows, it's just not that fun anymore. 

Bella is amazing in this episode, she nailed the ending. Her acting made it more powerful than in the game. The only thing I really miss is the voice of the original David - Nolan North sounded so creepy in that role, it fit the character perfectly. 

42 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I'm looking forward to people continuing to complain about the adaptation due to the lack of Infected. Just go watch The Walking Dead.

No, because The Walking Dead sucked too for many of the same reasons, at least after like Season 3. 

Just because it's an adaptation in a different medium doesn't mean everybody needs to accept things being done worse in the adaptation compared to the source material just because it's a different medium. And for the most part, the show has been a close adaptation of the source material, not 1:1 but pretty close for an adaptation, just the show has removed a lot of interesting dynamic and sections from the source material either entirely or was replaced with less interesting writing choices and side plots hence the criticism. A lot of the stuff the show has expanded on and diverted from the games has just not been that interesting. And the complete lack of infected is certainly a valid criticism. That's kind of a big reason people are tuning in; the overarching threat of the infected which just isn't present in the show practically at all besides only a handful of scenes really and this lack of infected has greatly changed the whole vibe of the story. Turned it more into a straight drama series rather than a horror drama. 

Best episodes were Episodes 1, 2 and 5. Most memorable scene was the clicker scene from Episode 2. Not a single clicker has been present since. I get the idea that too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing because of oversaturation but not having enough of something is just as bad, if not, worse. Underrepresenting something that would most definitely enhance the show.

There's a lot of criticism towards this show that should be condemned but it's like people are throwing all criticism under the same umbrella and dismissing it all with the same level of venom which is only turning me off from the whole thing more. Its fanbase is already becoming insufferable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mega-tallica said:

Best episodes were Episodes 1, 2 and 5. Most memorable scene was the clicker scene from Episode 2. Not a single clicker has been present since.

Hmm? I see someone has forgotten the legendary clicker child in Episode 5. Anyway, it seems like the Infected are the highlight for you and for others. It has never been that way for me. Though I agree that there needs to be more, but I guess it just doesn't bother me as much? It's a personal choice. I don't think The Last of Us is defined by the infected itself. It's just part of the world. Though, naturally, some will argue that it's more than that. And you're entitled to believe that.

Speaking of Episode 5, it's a bit of a shame that we got two episodes of Kathleen being a villain, and we were robbed of only one episode of David. I think that will be the biggest pitfall of Season 1 to me. But, all things considered, it's an incredible TV show. As long as they land the season finale next week, it'll be in my favourites.

4 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

The last of us is literally aboit the relationships between people with the main theme being love . 

Yes.  The clickers are only for the gameplay.  The world already has enough zombietv.  

Loving this show, wish there was more, but it does follow the game, which was also jarring from one episode/chapter to the next.  

One thing that stands out to me is how the show portrays Joel as being a bad person (killing "innocent" people).  Or maybe its just my perception? The game did not elude to this side of him very much, and we played Joel, I now feel bad for the amount of shivs I busted off in people.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

The last of us is literally aboit the relationships between people with the main theme being love . 

Yep. That's the main driving force in the story. The infected are another driving force, but it's no where near as important as the relationships that intermingle throughout the story.

That's why Bill's story was so good. So many people seem to miss the point. I guess it's easier to just call it woke trash and dismiss it entirely than to open one's mind.

• Like 1

No, because The Walking Dead sucked too for many of the same reasons, at least after like Season 3. 

Just because it's an adaptation in a different medium doesn't mean everybody needs to accept things being done worse in the adaptation compared to the source material just because it's a different medium. And for the most part, the show has been a close adaptation of the source material, not 1:1 but pretty close for an adaptation, just the show has removed a lot of interesting dynamic and sections from the source material either entirely or was replaced with less interesting writing choices and side plots hence the criticism. A lot of the stuff the show has expanded on and diverted from the games has just not been that interesting. And the complete lack of infected is certainly a valid criticism. That's kind of a big reason people are tuning in; the overarching threat of the infected which just isn't present in the show practically at all besides only a handful of scenes really and this lack of infected has greatly changed the whole vibe of the story. Turned it more into a straight drama series rather than a horror drama. 

Best episodes were Episodes 1, 2 and 5. Most memorable scene was the clicker scene from Episode 2. Not a single clicker has been present since. I get the idea that too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing because of oversaturation but not having enough of something is just as bad, if not, worse. Underrepresenting something that would most definitely enhance the show.

There's a lot of criticism towards this show that should be condemned but it's like people are throwing all criticism under the same umbrella and dismissing it all with the same level of venom which is only turning me off from the whole thing more. Its fanbase is already becoming insufferable. 

It's all subjective, and most people love it, both gamers and non-gamers.  Not everyone is gonna like it, that's normal.  There are also those who just hate for the sake of hating pop culture, typically the more popular something is, the louder and more ridiculous the haters get.

It's not worse, you think its worse, and maybe it is for you, but for millions, it isn't.

And the same reaction came out for the game.  This isnt new for TLoU.

Edited by audiopile

16 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Yep. That's the main driving force in the story. The infected are another driving force, but it's no where near as important as the relationships that intermingle throughout the story.

That's why Bill's story was so good. So many people seem to miss the point. I guess it's easier to just call it woke trash and dismiss it entirely than to open one's mind.

Yeah , the infected have their place absolutely but like a lot of zombie media they’re really more meant to be a specific driving force as you said or meant to be more metaphorical ( think of consumerism and dawn of the dead / dead rising ) .

there’s plenty of zombie media That’s just about surviving or killing zombies but it’s weird to complain the last of us isn’t that when it never was .  The title alone says a lot and it has nothing to do with being the last of humanity but the the main characters being the last of them jn their respective relationships. 

I get why some people might be disappointed by the lack of infected, but at the same time this is a show, not the game. I think seeing Joel and Ellie and co. take on infected all the time just for the sake of action would be silly, especially when we've seen how devastating the infected are in the show - it just wouldn't be realistic to expect them to be able to fight off loads of infected all the time. It would quickly become very boring in my opinion. Without gameplay sections to fill time obviously the pacing of the show is going to be different and with the aforementioned lack of infected - rightly or wrongly - the show is going to be more stripped back as a result. Whether you like it or not is a personal thing, but I'm not bothered by it. I think they could afford to show just a smidge more infected for sure, but it isn't absolutely necessary to move the story along either. I think another issue is that some people are vastly overstating the importance of infected to begin with. The game - and show - is very much about people at its core. 

As for the episode itself, I really enjoyed it. Another really solid entry to what has been a phenomenal season all round. Gonna be sad to see it come to an end next week, but excited to see Part II brought to life in the season 2. I just hope we won't have to wait too long to get it. 

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

Hmm? I see someone has forgotten the legendary clicker child in Episode 5. Anyway, it seems like the Infected are the highlight for you and for others. It has never been that way for me. Though I agree that there needs to be more, but I guess it just doesn't bother me as much? It's a personal choice. I don't think The Last of Us is defined by the infected itself. It's just part of the world. Though, naturally, some will argue that it's more than that. And you're entitled to believe that.

It's a part of the world that is dictating everything else happening around it. They're a pretty important highlight of the plot. 

I've never said it needs to be all about the infected because that is not what The Last of Us is about fully but the balance and representation has been severely lacking in the show. Whole episodes that go by and no glimpse or mention of an infected anywhere. Not much of a threat when you hardly ever see them but yet they're the whole driving force behind the plot. It's like Jurassic Park with no dinosaurs, The Witcher with no monsters, Game of Thrones with no dragons or white walkers. It's removing an aspect of the story and the world that could definitely be making the show a lot better if it were more prevalent in the plot and worked in to compliment the relationship drama with the characters. 

I’ve really enjoyed the show but there are parts of story narrative that the game wins hands down, particularly episode three ( I missed the interactions between Bill, Joel, and Ellie in the game). I’ve enjoyed watching this series and get that it’s all based on a video game. I think the acting has been superb in every episode. It’s just my opinion but the part in the game where David and Ellie fight off the infected would’ve really added to last night’s episode ( kind of a bonding at first before the crazy sets in). In the end, I don’t regret watching the show because I still think it is really good. I’ll look forward to seeing it through to the end. Fun topic…?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Anybody doubting Bella Ramsey should portray the older and more violent Ellie in Season 2 will be silenced definitively after this episode.

Aside from the fact that she's not 10 or 12 years old but what?... 20 or something? She will not grow into "older Ellie" no matter if you doubt her or not.

34 minutes ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

Aside from the fact that she's not 10 or 12 years old but what?... 20 or something? She will not grow into "older Ellie" no matter if you doubt her or not.

The time gap between the first and the second game is 5 years. It will have been two years since shooting between seasons. Bella Ramsey will be fine, whether you doubt it or not isn't up for debate. She will not be recast. She doesn't need to be. Suck it up.

It's like …  Game of Thrones with no dragons or white walkers. It's removing an aspect of the story and the world that could definitely be making the show a lot better if it were more prevalent in the plot and worked in to compliment the relationship drama with the characters. 

I am also of the belief there should be more infected, not for long, drawn-out battles and scenes but to give the overarching sense of dread and despair.  As much as I loved the last episode, there was a whole level of horror to it with David and the cult as it was, the external threat of infected seemed a little muted.  But I am cool with it because everything else is so well done.

As for the Game of Thrones  reference, it’s pretty similar.  There were so many episodes where no immediate threat of white walkers, dragons, etc. but you knew what was out there.  Another fabulous series.  

• Like 1

I think they should have split the last episode in two as it felt a bit rushed with David:

Like the first episode could have been about David gaining Ellies trust with it ending on a cliffhanger with the big reveal that he is a cannibal.

Then the 2nd episode could have been her trying to escape with David catching up to her in the end and ending with his death and Joel saving her. 

Episode 8 was another very good episode. Only one left...

Besides the thought that this show is far away from being weak I must admit to some other users here that there is indeed a lack of infected in this tv adaption. And the pacing is very fast. Way to fast. If I wouldn't know the game, I must admit certainly not get the same intense vibes from the series. But once again, it surely isn't a bad adaption. Probably one of the best gaming adaptions out there (if not the best already). It's good, but it could have been gorgeous.

Edited by Solid-Fisch