What is better/harder game: Dark Souls or Demon's Souls

BrunoBomb

Dark Souls or Demon's Souls  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What is the better/harder game?

• 1 month later...

imo it depends on the order. for most of the players here demon's souls was the first of the series for them. i played dark souls 1 & 2 before demon's souls so i was already used to the games and it was a piece of cake. i played demon's souls directly after dark souls 2 and i got to say dark souls 2 was a lot harder especially in the beginning. in demon's souls you can simply go into another world if you have difficulties in dark souls you don't have that many options and with the enemys disappearing after 10 or so kills you can't grind that much. so i think the games are getting harder and harder you just had to start at 0 with demon's souls.

I personally prefer Dark Souls (and Dark Souls II) over Demon's Souls for the following reasons;

• Open world exploration as opposed to a set of highly linear stages with occasional back-tracking.
  • No glitch that would cheapen the game to a ridiculous extent (Demon's Souls' item duping glitch).
  • More of a plot was given for Dark Souls & Dark Souls II.
  • You had to be human to engage in invasions/co-op (Whereas Demon's Souls requires you to be in phantom form to invade/assist).
  • Less healing items to stock up on, adding to difficulty.
  • Bosses were more challenging (Flamelurker's difficulty is overrated in my opinion & Manhunter is only remotely difficult due to the narrow area you fight them on.

With that being said, I still enjoy Demon's Souls, and will go for the platinum twice (PAL & US). As for difficulty, this is highly relative, depending on the order in which you play them and/or how long ago you last played them.

If anyone is going to try correct me about referring to it as a PAL version, don't bother, I refuse to use EU because it is technically not a European version.

Edited by Blanc

flamelurker like someone has posted above is not even remotely difficult... all you do is run past him up the stairs and stand next to the big piles of debris... he cannot get past them so you just unload your best arrows or magic

manhunter is typically easy too, either unload arrows before goin through the mist to meet them or as soon as you do go through the mist stop walkin straight away and unleash arrows... alternatively you can run to the center platform and use the middle flame thing as protection between you and the manhunters, they take it in turns to get you only swoopin in together on occassions so whilst one is away take out the other then take out the second one...

actually both games bosses are really easy and overated... you either go in with a sword or stay away usin ranged magic/weapons

what makes the games difficult is the deliberate clunky control style and the way most actions leave your character stood still for 4plus seconds leavin you defenseless...

both are great games but ds takes it for me altho i think the very first games these are taken from are the best out of all of them... so i'd advise anyone to grab the king's field games for the ps2 to enjoy where it all started from, by from lol...

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

• 2 months later...

its a toss up, I loved Demons Souls world systems the fact that your deaths blackened the worlds changing the difficulty and adding different bosses, plus the world felt more complete, no valley of the drakes (what the hell was the point of that place). I also loved the fact that you had to go back to the nexus to level up added a new level of challenge. 

However the magic system was easily abused since the spells were crazy powerful and the only limit was mana which you could restore.

Dark souls on the other hand is another great game which limited the magic abuse but also allowed for leveling on the fly. I also never got into any of the covenant stuff (I dont go for any of the online stuff).

Personally my favourite was Demons Souls for the world and the enemy types.

Sidenote: anyone remember those shadow guys that rose from puddles and had crazy killer attacks and the stormking with his mass of children

'scuse me whilst I just fire it back up for some more abuse

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Obviously, on a Demon's Souls forum, people will vote Demon's Souls. I personally think Dark Souls is better. My main gripe with Demon's Souls was the abundance of HP and MP-restoring items. World tendency was a mess as well.

Harder? Dark Souls, but only because so much of Demon's Souls can be cheaped. I mean, you can cheap so many bosses in Demon's Souls. But, on the plus side, this allowed me to do a no-death run on NG+++ without much trouble. If bosses are fought as intended, I think Demon's Souls is harder.

Edited by starcrunch061

Demon's Souls was actually harder than Dark Souls imo but that was maybe cause Demon's was my first Souls and when i went to Dark i already had the experience obtained from Demon's which made easier to play Dark from the beginning. But even with the that aside , Demon's bonfires presences made it harder to advance since they were fewer whitin the game and only after defeating the boss unlike Dark Souls which could hve like 2-3 bonfires until you reach the boss in the same area/zone.

I played FS games in reverse: Bloodborne first, then both Dark Souls. I'm playing Demon's Souls atm to prepare for DS III and I don't like it at all (I loved the other games a LOT btw!). Levelling is slow with insane amount of boring grind, many annoying levels like the bridge with a dragon burning everything or the entire world 3-x (christ that was the most frustrating thing in the history of gaming).

As for the difficulty level: whichever you start first. After playing DS's and Bloodborne, Demon's Souls is rather easy (it's a walk in the park with Soul Arrow). It's mostly annoying/frustrating, not challenging (my opinion though, your results may vary).

This poll makes no sense. You've asked two completely different questions as one question.

I, like many people here, think DeS is harder but DaS is better. Which should I vote for? Similarly, what does the fact that DeS is "winning" actually mean here? That people think it's harder, or that people think it's better?

I played FS games in reverse: Bloodborne first, then both Dark Souls. I'm playing Demon's Souls atm to prepare for DS III and I don't like it at all (I loved the other games a LOT btw!). Levelling is slow with insane amount of boring grind, many annoying levels like the bridge with a dragon burning everything or the entire world 3-x (christ that was the most frustrating thing in the history of gaming).

As for the difficulty level: whichever you start first. After playing DS's and Bloodborne, Demon's Souls is rather easy (it's a walk in the park with Soul Arrow). It's mostly annoying/frustrating, not challenging (my opinion though, your results may vary).

Grind in Demon's??? You can beat the game just fine on level 20-30 or so. :S Just go into 4-1 for some few minutes, and you got the needed level.

The burning bridge? Well, you can just go below it, except for that one part in 1-1, which Dark Souls copied...

3-1 is my favorite level in the entire series. ;) It's a giant maze though, such a great dark and horror mood to it too. 3-2 is another somewhat mazey level, but really not that much of a maze. In any case, both levels are easy with the right setup. :P

Annoying/frustrating?? idk, sounds like you rush it or something.

This poll makes no sense. You've asked two completely different questions as one question.

I, like many people here, think DeS is harder but DaS is better. Which should I vote for? Similarly, what does the fact that DeS is "winning" actually mean here? That people think it's harder, or that people think it's better?

Yeah, this was what really made me look at this thread. They are two completely different questions, how do you weight them if your opinion of which is better or hardest differ. Personally, I prefer Demon's, but idk which is the harder. I think DS2 might be harder than both Demon's and Dark 1.

I think there is some kind of idea around the games being "cool"/"good", because they are hard or something, especially by those who haven't really played the games or played them much.

Demon's Souls was actually harder than Dark Souls imo but that was maybe cause Demon's was my first Souls and when i went to Dark i already had the experience obtained from Demon's which made easier to play Dark from the beginning. But even with the that aside , Demon's bonfires presences made it harder to advance since they were fewer whitin the game and only after defeating the boss unlike Dark Souls which could hve like 2-3 bonfires until you reach the boss in the same area/zone.

Yeah, but Demon's often had a shorter path for it's longer levels, especially when you'd got to near the end. This goes for 1-1, 1-3, 1-4, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 3-2, 5-2. And let's face it, 2-3, 3-3, 4-3, 5-3 were all pretty much just the boss and didn't need it. This leaves you with 1-2, 4-1, 4-2, 5-1, where 4-1 was very short if you know the secret shortcuts, and 4-2 can easily be done by harming 1-4 enemies (depends on how safe you wanna be) and the boss from a distance with bow. So then there's 1-2, which is a pretty easy run under the bridge (you can even kill the dragon) and fight against an easy boss, which can be done from a distance, and IIRC the boss is weak to poison. 5-1 and 5-2 is the hardest levels in the game IMO, so 5-1 is pretty annoying in that way, but the bosses are pretty easy, especially 5-1 if you're prepared.

4-2 boss can be hard if done legit. 2-2 boss can be tricky too. 1-4 boss can be tricky. 5-1 and 5-2 is kinda hard.

But really, the only thing I'm "dreading" when playing through the game in a couple of hours is 5-1 and 5-2, the rest of the game is piss easy (to me).

Edited by MMDE

You can beat the game just fine on level 20-30 or so. :S

You can also probably beat it with level 1 character on guitar hero controller, but I'm not that kind of person :D Come on, 20 levels won't give you enough health/stamina and any damage-scaling attribute to be able to beat the game (if you're a sane person with job and real life responsibilities). But you're right, 3-2 is kind of alright. Many elements remind me of Bloodborne (overall atmosphere, enemies, even the cage elevator reminds me of Nigtmare of Mensis). But that prison level... I don't have enough rage in my heart to give it all the hate it deserves :D

You can also probably beat it with level 1 character on guitar hero controller, but I'm not that kind of person :D Come on, 20 levels won't give you enough health/stamina and any damage-scaling attribute to be able to beat the game (if you're a sane person with job and real life responsibilities). But you're right, 3-2 is kind of alright. Many elements remind me of Bloodborne (overall atmosphere, enemies, even the cage elevator reminds me of Nigtmare of Mensis). But that prison level... I don't have enough rage in my heart to give it all the hate it deserves :D

I've a level 21 character that I can safely say is like a 3/10 difficulty to beat the game with. :) Talking I could easily do it no deaths.

I bet you're mad at 3-1 because it was a maze. Did the medusas harm you? If you got anti magic shield from the boss in I think 4-2 or 4-3, then they are completely harmless. You can also be cheap with bow, though boring that is. I once wrote a guide, step for step, from memory, of that level. xD I think they nailed the maze design pretty well, gets you running around looking for what to do to progress. And the boss... haha :D It's also cool they do a non-player black phantom invasion. A strange unique enemy. Several prisoners, some pretty important ones as well and some secrets connected to 3-2, and that secret is pretty complicated. :P

You can run through entire 3-2 to the boss without killing any enemies (except for those around the bonfires required to progress in the level).

Edited by MMDE

Dark Souls is better in almost every way. 

Whichever one you play first is harder. 

Demons is a longer plat, unless you dupe and get people to give you items,  then it's hands down the fastest one. 

• 1 month later...

Started on Bloodborne, then Dark Souls 3....then bought both of these games. 

I've found Dark Souls harder than both BB and DS3. I had to have multiple attempts at most bosses, level design was hard to navigate and found it difficult to get through areas without taking a fair amount of damage.

I decided to try Demon Souls and my only death so far is the one on the first boss you are "meant" to die at. I'm only 3 levels in but it's considerably easier than the other Souls games I've played in my opinion.