Save The Vita!

Ikenda

The 3DS had roughly the same problem at the beginning.  Very few games, lack of "killer apps" and big price.  As soon as the price dropped, which coincided with the release of new Mario games, sales went through the roof.  Vita simply needs the same.  I know they had recently a price drop, but it's not enough for foreign markets, which have to account for import taxes.

But the real problem, one that will be really hard to solve because it's faulty design, is the mandatory propietary cards.  They're stupidly expensive and inconvenient.  For the 3DS, you can get any SD card you wish (or even microSD with adapter) and it will work.  Not only they're inexpensive, but you can get them from any brand and they'll work without a hassle.  Here Sony, in this age where every other device has regular cards, pretends users to fork ridiculous amounts of money for a device that does absolutely nothing that a much cheaper device could do.  It's a freaking memory card, not a damn flux capacitor, there's no need to charge that much for it.  And if they actually cost that much to make, well that's Sony's fault, because they designed the Vita to use these inconvenient ones instead of the ones everyone else uses.

They had a similar problem with the PSP (and really, with many of Sony's cellphones) by trying to use propietary cards, but at least the proDuo were more common, with several different brands that were far cheaper and worked just as well as Sony ones.  And later, when microSD cards with adapters to proDuo showed up, for incredibly cheap prices, things were even easier.

So, in general, Sony is making the same mistakes with the Vita that they did with the PSP, but in a larger scale.

Edited by MacJunegrand
  • Like 1

I don't think that the system is that badly priced, £150 for a handheld is about right really and I didn't mind paying that with Tear Away and LBP included. Memory cards though I do have to agree are stupidly priced, but at least you can pick up some with games included for about £5-10 more than blank ones. As for the games I think there is more than enough at the moment to hold my interest. I know I have a backlog of PS+ vita games to play as well as additional games I have purchased since getting my Vita in December. The remote play of games on the PS4 is pretty cool as well, and I like how certain companies have vita controls added to them to make up for the lack of trigger buttons. (Warframe being one example) Although one thing I can't seem to do is pair the device with the PS3 which is a pain in the ass to say the least. Overall though I love my Vita, it's the perfect little handheld for me and gets used on the bus in the mornings on my way to work and also around the house. :)

Viva la Vita!

I never had any interest on it because of the price and the fact that I'm not really interested on the games. I'd like to have it, I guess, but I prefer to spend money on other things instead...

I don't know, I just don't want it as badly as I wanted the PSP a few years ago. I was just really hyped because I was going to play GTA Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories, also MGS: Portable Ops, and some others. But with the Vita is not the same, I guess there's the AC or some other games but I've never been hyped :(

I think Sony doesn't have a clue about what to do with Vita.  AAA games on the go is a fun idea but why would a company invest the money in the launch window of Vita before they knew if it would sell?  Thus, no games, no sales and here we are.  Instead of ports and cross buys, I wish they would have made a series of short games set in the universes of their best IPs and given some money of 3rd party devs to do the same.  Imagine if an original Borderlands 2 3-4 hour mission(s) had come out a year ago?  You don't need a 20 hour Uncharted, give us a couple 6 hour games instead.  Back up a dump truck of cash to Rockstar to release an exclusive "Stories from Los Santos" game.  You made Infamous: Festival of Blood for PS3, you are saying you couldn't have done something similar for Vita by now?  Now give them reasonable prices and you have a reason for people to pick up the system.  Then, you start mixing in the large AAA games.  

Also, the fact that Minecraft wasn't a release window game is a crime.  That would have blown Nintendo out of the water.  Now, every other platform has it. Such is life, as long as it's only going to be JPRGs in the future, at least give me Valkyria Chronicles 3.

• Like 1

Like many have said a price drop of both the device and the memory cards would get some of the people with doubts buying one, but the biggest problem for the VITA is that it lacks Pokemon. Everyone that I know personally that owns a VITA is either a dad or someone in their late teens or twenties. The biggest crowd for a portable gaming system are kids. What do kids want? Right, Pokemon .... and the parents want as low a price as they can get.

The VITA is a fantastic gaming system and I have no regrets in buying one as I play it every day, but I'm part of the "non target group consumer" -> I could afford one, don't care about Pokemon and I am old enough to appreciate the functionality it brings besides gaming.

The "no games" or "no system selling games" argument is a total cop out. There are a shit load of awesome games for the vita, regardless of whether they are ports or not, they still exist.

Too expensive? Well you got your price drop in the form of the vita slim, and you've missed out on the OLED screen and a well built system that I can confidently toss across the room onto the couch or bed without worry... The new model feels weak and flimsy. I've dropped my vita a few times with no damage over the past 2 years, if I had done that with the slim, I doubt I'd still have it. And think about it, if the vita gets a drop to say $150, it's at the end of its life and there will be next to nothing coming in its future for games.

Yes, the memory cards are expensive and it's so stupid to use proprietary micro SD, but it is what it is. They go on sale and you can always trade in towards them or even find them on eBay or wherever for decent prices as well. I lasted on the 4GB card that came with my vita for 6 months, but I bought physical copies of my games and deleted them when I beat them or had my fill.

The vita is an amazing little system that has brought countless hours of entertainment into my life. You just need to get one. Stop making the bullshit excuses that have been regurgitated all over the Internet and get one. Those of us that have one are happy with it, and the praise it receives from the owners should convince people more than saving a few bucks, because the vita doesn't need to be saved... It needs to be supported.

• Like 2

The "no games" or "no system selling games" argument is a total cop out. There are a shit load of awesome games for the vita, regardless of whether they are ports or not, they still exist.

Too expensive? Well you got your price drop in the form of the vita slim, and you've missed out on the OLED screen and a well built system that I can confidently toss across the room onto the couch or bed without worry... The new model feels weak and flimsy. I've dropped my vita a few times with no damage over the past 2 years, if I had done that with the slim, I doubt I'd still have it. And think about it, if the vita gets a drop to say $150, it's at the end of its life and there will be next to nothing coming in its future for games.

Yes, the memory cards are expensive and it's so stupid to use proprietary micro SD, but it is what it is. They go on sale and you can always trade in towards them or even find them on eBay or wherever for decent prices as well. I lasted on the 4GB card that came with my vita for 6 months, but I bought physical copies of my games and deleted them when I beat them or had my fill.

The vita is an amazing little system that has brought countless hours of entertainment into my life. You just need to get one. Stop making the bullshit excuses that have been regurgitated all over the Internet and get one. Those of us that have one are happy with it, and the praise it receives from the owners should convince people more than saving a few bucks, because the vita doesn't need to be saved... It needs to be supported.

You have no idea how much i agree with you. More and more i see that people who own it really, but reallllly love it. I think that this is hands down the best advertisment for it. I'm glad to see that dispite its low sales Vita shows through its owners that is a handheld with balls and not just another flop in gamings history. But of course games like GTA, Bioshock, MGS, God of War and other big and new IPs, are games that the Vita and its owners deserve... Those games will make Vita sells millions and make us and Sony happier... well at least i know i would be happier, i dont really care about Sony :)

I agree that there are plenty of great games for the Vita right now but it can never hurt to have more selection. 

Sony needs to have studios dedicated to making Vita games instead of having a game on the PS4, PS3 and Vita. Let's be honest, most people who have a Vita also have either a PS3 or PS4 too and if a game you're looking forward to is coming out on the Vita and PS4, what system are you going to get it for? Most people (myself included) will be getting the better version found on the home console.

Parker

You have no idea how much i agree with you. More and more i see that people who own it really, but reallllly love it. I think that this is hands down the best advertisment for it. I'm glad to see that dispite its low sales Vita shows through its owners that is a handheld with balls and not just another flop in gamings history. But of course games like GTA, Bioshock, MGS, God of War and other big and new IPs, are games that the Vita and its owners deserve... Those games will make Vita sells millions and make us and Sony happier... well at least i know i would be happier, i dont really care about Sony :)

I agree that there are plenty of great games for the Vita right now but it can never hurt to have more selection. 

Sony needs to have studios dedicated to making Vita games instead of having a game on the PS4, PS3 and Vita. Let's be honest, most people who have a Vita also have either a PS3 or PS4 too and if a game you're looking forward to is coming out on the Vita and PS4, what system are you going to get it for? Most people (myself included) will be getting the better version found on the home console.

Parker

Here is the thing... Developers will not put the resources into making a major vita title. Sony will continue to put smaller studios (Sony bend for example) on making vita games, but they would never turn to Santa Monica, guerrilla, naughty dog and say "make a vita game." All their major studios will continue to work on games for the big systems that have already sold. There's no point getting a team to make a game that will sell to the majority of people who already own a vita and MAYBE sell some more systems when that number is insignificant compared to the console market.

It's quite simple. The system has to sell in order to get the games. No one out there is making games saying "one day they will make a system that can play this" the system comes out, then the games are made (or the games are made in unison with the system).

The reason no AAA developers will make games on the vita exclusively is the same reason no one sets up a lemonade stand in the winter. It wouldn't make enough money to cover the costs of making it. But if people start buying vitas, increasing the size of the market, we will see more games. The vita is an investment and in investing in it, only then will more games come.

Look at the PS4. 5+ million people have bought this thing, and what's there for games? A bunch of stuff that was already on the previous generation, but those people bought it, knowing full well, that the games will come in the near future. That's the kind of support vita needs!

The real reason is that nobody isn't buying a Vita because it doesn't have good games and no not just indie games. You got to have good games for the system to sell. But I see Sony will discounted Vita after 2014 because it not making them money. You got to have one or two games for the Vita to sell more. If GTA would be on Vita then many will buy it.

There is plenty of good games (in Japan that is lol)

Sony is the one to blame for again, people already forgot how much many devs supported Vita in Japan.

(people just don't know at all the companies supporting Vita and selling games like hotcakes, again in Japan)

Lastly forgot to say im trusting the devs to continue supporting Vita as Sony never did anything for it nor even care to help devs either.

Edited by Nelson_Otaku

There is plenty of good games (in Japan that is lol)

Sony is the one to blame for again, people already forgot how much many devs supported Vita in Japan.

(people just don't know at all the companies supporting Vita and selling games like hotcakes, again in Japan)

Lastly forgot to say im trusting the devs to continue supporting Vita as Sony never did anything for it nor even care to help devs either.

Are most of these RPG's? Also I agree with the Japanese thing look at some of the latest trophies released on this site there all basically Japanese.. 

If they localized all the Vita Japanese games then it would already kickstart the sales. I don't understand why Japan gets all the good games. I guess Sony managment team in Japan is smarter, while EU and US have moron teams that don't even know what to do with the VITA. It's a shame really.

• Like 2

I'm not really sure how localizing JRPGs would save the vita ? Is the potential market really that big ?

If you want sales to do well in EU and US, then release EU and US market games, not games made for the japanese market. I don't mind playing a few japanese games, but do I want to play that all the time ? no thank you very much.

Price seems to just be a good excuse for low sales, games are more important. hell, half the people I have seen playing on Ds is something like 'stroke the kitty/puppy' or look after babies. then you have mario, pokemon, etc.

3DS also looks sturdier, I'd much more give that to an 8yo than a vita.

so Vita is pretty much in limbo at the moment. We'll see how it evolves

Gta on vita? Are you serious? Rockstar is not Sony owned, so why would they make a vita only exclusive GTA title... Doesn't make any sense at all. Vita may very well receive a GTA port of San Andreas or something, but there will never be a GTA developed for vita. And bioshock, probably the same thing. Another 3rd party studio that has no interest in improving vita sales at their own expense.

Getting the big name triple A titles on vita is just a pipe dream and people can continue to say that having the last of us or GTA on vita will make it better, but you're not thinking. Games a lot more to be made than just people posting about it on a forum saying that it would be a good idea and would sell systems. There's time, money, demand, staff, QA, etc.

It's also been said "why play a game on vita when I can play the same thing on ps3 on a big tv?" Would you really want a scaled down version of GTA?

The possibilities are endless here. A vita tLoU that tells Trisha's or Ish's story would be awesome. Infamous could be so rad. More uncharted or if they could get crash or spyro... I have these fantasies too, but AAA console quality games won't happen until the demand is there, and the people sitting on the sidelines waiting until one of those games comes out before buying a vita, you're part of the reason the vita struggles.

Gta Liberty City Stories skyrocketed PSP sales. It was exclusive and only later was ported to PS2. Something like that could help Vita... but you are right... is not happening at this point. Maybe if Vita hade achieved a little bit more sales in those two years of life, like 12 or 15 millions for example. Now it is a pipe dream. Now even Sonys studios stopped making exclusive spin-off games for it. Hopefully Gravity Rush 2 will make it to a release some day. The first one was one of my favorites and my most rewarding platinums....

• Like 1

Memnoch who is the top n1 game on gamefaqs at the moment? (Persona 4 Golden)

from what i know gamefaqs isn't a site for japanese people to go talk about their favorite games lol

http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita (Ys Celceta also improved sales for Vita in the west)

That is just one example, the reason why some good games dont get localized lies mostly at EU/ US system & politics

they are avoided like the plague and it's a sad fact. (dont want to start with the DUB's either that makes localization even more harder)

Edited by Nelson_Otaku

PS Vita rocks. And there are sales on the memory cards. Got a 32gb from Gamestop in January for $40

Yes it does. That is still overpriced for just 32 GB of data.

Especially considering the fact that all games install game data on the memory card and PS+ distributes "free" games for full digital download.

I really want to invest into a Vita more than anything (currently using my friend own) but I wish it had more going for it than what we're getting now. Sometimes I catch myself playing the vita more than my 3DS but sometimes I wish the Vita was getting as much support as what the 3DS is getting now in terms of games