Save The Vita!

Ikenda

Im a heavy, hardcore Vita fan. And so far i see many many people who love it alot. It is very sad to see the best handheld in terms of balance in graphics and controls (phones lack decent controls and 3ds lacks graphics and overall perfomance -try run Killzone or make a port of Ninja Gaiden on 3ds for example) to suffer from bad sales becauses of bad marketing choices or lack of interest from developers. Do you think that is too late for it? What would you do to save PS Vita from this fate? What is that missing link that would make it fly on sales in your opinion? What would make you buy a Vita no matter the cost?

Handhelds are a difficult market. You have pick up and go (phones), kids that dont need a tv screen (DS), long term fans (again DS)

Vita is amazingly powerfull, but ultmately doesnt have a mass market.

It suffers from the same issues as the wii-u (overpriced for the target population) and therefore devs drop it pretty quickly.

Is it the best for powerfull games on the go? Hell yeah.

Are there that many people that need that kind of gaming on the go? Unfortunately hell no

• Like 1

No, I don't think its too late. Personally, I like playing the smaller retroesque and indie titles on it but I can see a lot of people's points about the lack of AAA development and the device not being pushed to its limits (especially for the asking price).

Given the listing of games to be release for it in 2014, I think there is a great potential for this to be a good year for the Vita. Personally, i don't think the Vita needs saving, just unleashing.

I say more EXCLUSIVES, less cross buys, and higher end/budget games. Stop releasing big franchise names on it, only to port it over to the PS3 a few months later (looking at you AC: Liberation and Batman Origins Blackgate). Give people more of a reason to buy the Vita.

Edited by merciful84

Agreed with a price drop (I loved  my vita since Ive bought it and it gets equal play as the ps3/4)

Agreed with the fact that the demand isnt really there.

One thing that the psp dominated on was rpgs. There were still some released not too long ago for the psp. That is one thing that will probably drive a lot more sales is the release of more rpgs. I dont know why thats the goto thing but you know what, they play pretty damn well on there and I for one wont complain.

The other thing is the memory cards are outrageously priced. That needs to change

The other thing is the memory cards are outrageously priced. That needs to change

^THIS too! Seriously, $100 for 32 GB mandatory memory card in 2014?! I understand the anti-piracy stuff but there has to be a better alternative...one that doesn't put Sony in a position to monopolize the way we store data. The PSPGo had internal storage, so why was there a step back with the Vita?

The general lack of decent franchises (apart from Uncharted IMO)

Maybe a decent franchise like GTA, Hitman, Bioshock etc. for Vita would make me buy it.

Before anyone says Borderlands, I don't like Borderlands :)

Killzone Mercenary, Persona 4 Golden, Soul Sacrifice...

• Like 1

I play my Vita every day. It's a sweet little gaming device. The two things I would suggest is 1) Bring Vita TV to the US already! and 2) Add a UMD drive to the Vita TV and output PSP games in full screen. The interest in the Vita TV should be enough to move them and once there's enough sold, developers would be dumb not to throw some games out for it. More Vita games = more joy! 

I love mine, I think RPG's, racing and puzzle games are the best type of games for this handheld from my experience.

I recently played New Little King's Story on it I loved it, I play any racing game I get from PS+ and puzzle games just seem pretty good on it (Zeros Last Rewind) Soul Sacrifice looks great and if not for PS+ I was going to buy it.

Edited by zJoee_x

I have considered one for quite some time now, but I bought a 3DS instead. There is just so much more support on Nintendo's end, with huge releases almost every month. With the Vita.....the price of storage and the system itself overwhelms the amount of support it is getting as of now.

For me to get a Vita, 3 things would have to happen.

• More IPs, obviously. Preferably RPG's and stealth. I want some big, exclusive titles like Nintendo is doing.
  • Sony needs to have Playstation Now support PS2 titles on the Vita...that would be....just amazing. I would be the happiest teenager on the planet if I could play Silent Hill 2 or Kingdom Hearts on a long trip
  • The cost of memory needs to come down....and maybe a bit of a price cut on the system as well

Hell, maybe even the second alone would make it worth the cost.

I think there have been more original, unique IPs announced for the Vita than there have been for the 3DS.

^That actually might be a problem. If Sony made more spin offs of already popular franchises (like Uncharted) then I think it would succeed more.

Advertising is also a huge issue. There are some notable, unique Vita games that don't get much attention. The system itself to.

One thing that might be benefitting the Vita more than people may think is PlayStation Plus. Since PS+ is now a requirement to play PS4 games online, some people feel like they're throwing away free food. They might not have a Vita, but they are still entitled to the free games on it.

I think the problem is that there are no system seller games that appeal to the general market

3DS has mario and pokemon and they sell like hotcakes

but the vita doesn't have a game like that. There are great exclusives like Gravity Rush and Tearaway but people aren't going to push and shove over a vita for those games.

Also the console bundles with games aren't very good either. IIRC i've seen AC3L, Lego Batman 2, Madden NFL and The Walking Dead. None of those games make people think "OMG I need a vita now", especially the fact that 3 of them are just ports of games on the ps3 

• Like 1

I think the problem is that there are no system seller games that appeal to the general market

3DS has mario and pokemon and they sell like hotcakes

but the vita doesn't have a game like that. There are great exclusives like Gravity Rush and Tearaway but people aren't going to push and shove over a vita for those games.

Also the console bundles with games aren't very good either. IIRC i've seen AC3L, Lego Batman 2, Madden NFL and The Walking Dead. None of those games make people think "OMG I need a vita now", especially the fact that 3 of them are just ports of games on the ps3 

Exactly what I was trying to say. People like different, but they also like familiarity. If spin off games of Bioshock and GTA came out, then it would definitely sell like hot cakes.

Also probably why COD: BOD sold more than almost every Vita game game despite the super s****y reviews.