What shall I get - PC or Laptop?

Matthew_Banfield

Hi guys,

As I know you are all frightfully helpful people here at psnprofiles, I was wondering if you could help me make a decision.

I start university in September and am looking at upgrading from my laptop to either a pc or a new laptop. I have a tv which can be used as a computer monitor, the likelihood of me needing to be portable is pretty slim so that's why a desktop has come into the frame as well.

My budget is around £700 including Microsoft office and an antivirus software which I will need regardless of my choice. Is there any difference between laptops and pcs with the same sort of spec and how much do they vary in price? I am from the uk, so anyone with links to recommended products, it would be helpful if they were uk stores.

Cheers guys and I hope to hear lots of helpful suggestions,

MB

EDIT: It would be great to be able to play games as well on this new pc/laptop... Eg. Titanfall

Edited by Matthew_Banfield

I'd go for PC, In Desktop, you can upgrade it's parts anytime- Video Card, Hard drives, RAM, & many more.

I used to have an assembled PC & got it for a cheaper price but it's specs are more than enough to play games regardless of how high videocards & graphics cards games required are, I just look for the right brand & stuffs & upgrade. more than enough than the specifications of a new laptop better even.

Laptop is actually also good but you can only upgrade the RAM & internal HD- that's it, nothing more.

Though I if i remember correctly, I saw a pc that feature's a laptop- The only difference is that the system unit of it is small & portable enough to bring anywhere. Though I'm not sure if that kind of type is upgradable though & expensive.

I'd go for a desktop pc if I were you.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by NightWing

Could build a really good PC for that price, if you aren't well up in building them, go with Overclockers, you can also buy parts from them and everything is reasonable price. As for Titanfall, I don't know the specs for that so don't know if a £700 PC could run it..

It depends, if you gonna need to use it where you want and take you're pc to new places then a laptop should be the best for you.

But if in the future the laptop happens to get damage you can't simply replace what's damage. The solution is a new laptop and they can't be upgraded.

Now if it will be in your desk (I suppose is a desk where you gonna use your pc) the desktop is better and if something gets damage just buy a new one and replace it. And can be upgraded.

If you want to play games still the desktop is better because you can upgrade it.

Now about the microsoft office and antivirus just search for them on the internet. it's free. I can't help you about that because here we can't use this links in the posts so but just search microsoft office 2013 free + crack

And avast free crack. I use them both. The avast crack I use says that I started using avast in 2037 and expires in 2036. Don't ask me how.

Well since you said you intend to play games desktop wins by default (laptops are more expensive and hard to upgrade), you also don't really need to pay for office since piratebay is everyones friend and microsoft essentials is free. With all that said you need to build your own desktop (as it is wayyyy cheaper) if you don't know anything about computers it can be daunting but think of it like legos and there is always youtube videos to help. 

Would recommend 

Gigabyte H87-HD3 Motherboard

i7 4770K

gtx 760

8GB ram Corsair or Ripjaw

Corsair 600W psu

Any tower+with some fans 

All that would cost ya around 650 so could even improve a in few things.

Definitely get a PC. If you wanted a decent laptop, you'd need a much higher budget, at least 2x what you've got now. And like other's have said, you can always upgrade a PC. That's what I did. I built a somewhat cheap PC for a little less than what you've got, then over the past few years I slowly upgraded it when I had a little extra cash. Now it's a decent gaming rig and I can play pretty much any game I want to on max settings at 60fps.

if you want to use your computer at school (like what I'm doing right now) get a laptop. if you wanna game a lot get a desktop (but you have a ps3 for that). Regardless for that amount of money i'd just build a pc. get your moneys worth.

• 2 months later...

One of the silliest statements... 

How? Lack of information why its better? It's a true statement, laptops you can barely do anything with them when it comes to customizing.  Change their Hard-drive and RAM and that's about it I think.

How? Lack of information why its better? It's a true statement, laptops you can barely do anything with them when it comes to customizing.  Change their Hard-drive and RAM and that's about it I think.

Lack of information, also "customization" isn't what everyone wants anyway. Elaborating on the lack of information part, you could easily have a much more capable powerful laptop, than a desktop but that's besides the point.

It all comes down to personal needs and the fact one can be customized does not make it better for everyone.

Lack of information, also "customization" isn't what everyone wants anyway. Elaborating on the lack of information part, you could easily have a much more capable powerful laptop, than a desktop but that's besides the point.

It all comes down to personal needs and the fact one can be customized does not make it better for everyone.

I guess.. but when that laptop's specs aren't as good anymore, means you need to buy another whole laptop instead of just switching a few parts.

One of the silliest statements... 

I'm still going to stick with my "silly" statement, but I do respect your opinion.

We all have cons and pros about everything but I believe that PCs just beat gaming laptops in every way. But hey, that's what I and the majority people here believe.

I'd prefer PC but since you're starting University, I recommend getting a laptop. However gaming laptops in general are very expensive and are over your budget lol. If I were you I'd just save a little bit more money and get a monster tower with good specs  :lol:

Get PC ! Laptop is cool 'n' all till you get it. I made a mistake by going for laptop. Don't do the same mistake as me.

The only time getting laptop over desktop is a mistake when you have zero need for mobility and if you expect the same specs for the same amount of money.

----

£700 is not a whole lot, and it simply doesn't buy very decent laptop, especially for gaming needs. Not that gaming with laptop should be a priority anyhow. But if you know how to (or have someone to help you) build desktop from separately purchased parts, then definitely go fo that. More bang for the buck.

So judging from your needs, I'd also say go for a desktop. 

Oh and no, you do not have any reason to pay for antivirus software :) But Office does blow the competition out of the water, agreed.

I guess.. but when that laptop's specs aren't as good anymore, means you need to buy another whole laptop instead of just switching a few parts.

That is why PC>Ps3....(haha)

PC gets my vote!