Buying PS+, but which one?

C-VarZz-13

The genres like shooter and racing are included in all tiers. Look at which games are included exactly in extras and premum tiers :)

I have ps+ premium but i think extras is the best tier. It includes so many games on ps4 and ps5 which i want to play. Premium tier adds games from ps3 or older but there aren't many games i want to play.

I have PS+ Extra. You have access to about 400 games which is great. I think it’s the best value for money. Premium might be appealing to you if you want to play some games from previous generations.

Either way, I suggest having a browse at the games catalogue for both and taking it from there. You can always give it a try by purchasing a month’s subscription. ?

I would say extra. I however chose essential, as I don't like the fact that they can erase games from the extra list and then leave me without finishing them if I am not fast enough... but for the amount of games it has, it's worthy the moment that 1 or 2 games on the list interest you. 

• Like 2

I currently have Premium, but really would say unless you want the old PS2 classics, the Extra is the optimal tier. There are definitely some great games there that are worth the extra subscription and would justify the extra yearly cost. I'm not sure I can say the same for Premium.

On that note, does anyone know if/how you downgrade? I need to renew my sub, but would like to do so at the Extra tier, not Premium. I don't want my subscription to lapse.

How do I switch down from Premium or extend only at the Extra level?

15 hours ago, NetoStyle said:

It seems that there will be a PS+ sale soon! and yeah I prefer PS+ Extra too.

25%? That's horrible. That means Essential will be $45...which is more expensive than what they usually do ($40)...which already didn't feel like much of a deal. With all this news of PS+ losing like 2 Million subs, you'd think they go at least 50% off to entice people to come back. And sites like CDKeys or Eneba aren't doing so hot with selling PS+ for cheap anymore either. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Kefka1986 said:

I would say extra. I however chose essential, as I don't like the fact that they can erase games from the extra list and then leave me without finishing them if I am not fast enough... but for the amount of games it has, it's worthy the moment that 1 or 2 games on the list interest you. 

So, I upgraded from Essential to Plus Extra last month and added 5 highly-anticipated games from that list to my queue. Should I rush to play those games next in my backlog with the possibility that they can yank those Extra titles off at a future date?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

25%? That's horrible. That means Essential will be $45...which is more expensive than what they usually do ($40)...which already didn't feel like much of a deal. With all this news of PS+ losing like 2 Million subs, you'd think they go at least 50% off to entice people to come back. And sites like CDKeys or Eneba aren't doing so hot with selling PS+ for cheap anymore either. 

Well 25% is not that much but maybe extra is 75 € for 12 months. So i think its still cheaper if you do this and play 2 or 3 games you like because if you need to buy those games it could be 150€ and you have 12 months advantage of the deze monthly games.

Kind Regards 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Losing 2 million subs is not a big deal when a large chunk of the 45 million remaining subs are now paying double or triple what they used to pay. PS+ revenue is up 10% to an all time high. They have no intensive to drop below 25% off when they are making bank.

19 hours ago, C-VarZz-13 said:

Hi om gone play again after many years and just found out that they whole PS+ thing is changed. Im not going to be a full-time hunter or gamer. So casual , i like shooter and race games but also games with my kid. What to choose on PS+ essential , extra or premium?

Kind Regards

if you dont mind having a bad completion percentage and dont care much for trophies i would say just get the full package. there was one game i wanted to buy and the price of the game was the same amount as updating to the top tier for the rest of the year which the game was in. if i didnt care about my completion percentage i would prob try each and every single game on there. there is quite alot to pick from to keep you and your kid busy. i really havent used anything from the ps plus since i got it but if i gamed the way i did when i first started then i would of loved this back then. but now im trying to complete my backlog so i kinda messed my profile up not finishing 200 games that i started lmao. i think people should take the type of gamers into consideration while giving their opinion. so like i said id just go for the premium. you can browse what games are on there and sort them by newest added to ps plus before you get it. you can also browse the tiers of games if i recall. also what i was trying to explain above is when i got premium i already had ps plus basic so it only billed me for like half this year until my reg ps plus runs out which wasnt much. 

Edited by melodicmizery

3 hours ago, kkulifay said:

So, I upgraded from Essential to Plus Extra last month and added 5 highly-anticipated games from that list to my queue. Should I rush to play those games next in my backlog with the possibility that they can yank those Extra titles off at a future date?

I think you should! Extra comes with a lot more games to play than essential, but the catch is that these games will be rotating over time. So new games will be added and other games already present will be removed from the service and you won’t be able to play them anymore. With extra, the games you get are yours forever and you can take all the time in the world to finish them, as long as you pay psplus.

A person that isn’t a member of psplus yet can buy the extra tier for 75 € using the black friday sale, so the moment that there are games for that value on the list that they are interested in, it will be worthy for them. Sadly we don’t know which games will be removed in the future (some of them show the date in the ps store, but others don’t) and we don’t know which games will be added in the future. But I think it’s worthy to buy extra using the black friday. 

in fact, I’m tempted to do that, because even if I dislike the risk of the games being removed in the future, I’ve seem several games that I would love to play on the list. On the other hand, knowing myself, I would always have the urge to play one game of the list instead of other games just because the fear of it being removed… so I’m not sure what will I do yet ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kefka1986 said:

I think you should! Extra comes with a lot more games to play than essential, but the catch is that these games will be rotating over time. So new games will be added and other games already present will be removed from the service and you won’t be able to play them anymore. With extra, the games you get are yours forever and you can take all the time in the world to finish them, as long as you pay psplus.

A person that isn’t a member of psplus yet can buy the extra tier for 75 € using the black friday sale, so the moment that there are games for that value on the list that they are interested in, it will be worthy for them. Sadly we don’t know which games will be removed in the future (some of them show the date in the ps store, but others don’t) and we don’t know which games will be added in the future. But I think it’s worthy to buy extra using the black friday. 

in fact, I’m tempted to do that, because even if I dislike the risk of the games being removed in the future, I’ve seem several games that I would love to play on the list. On the other hand, knowing myself, I would always have the urge to play one game of the list instead of other games just because the fear of it being removed… so I’m not sure what will I do yet 1f613.png

Thx for the response. Looks like I’m going to re-prioritize my backlog by playing the PS Plus Extra games in my lineup first before tackling the others. Here’s a link explaining it for others who are confused like I was at first ?

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/06/psa-ps-plus-extra-premium-games-removed-from-service-arent-yours-to-keep-forever

Edited by kkulifay
  • Like 1

If you are just casual gamer I think that the essential one is enough, but this is just my opinion and with what I went. I mean I like the premium and extra a lot with the old games, it's kinda cool, but I wouldn't be able to play all these games so I stick with the essential which with its free games is by far enough for my needs.  

Edited by Afura_33

Last June I upgraded from Essential to Extra in order to play Shadow Warrior 3 just before it disappears from the offer.

I paid around 15 euros for the remaining 5 months of my subscription (which was interesting as Shadow Warrior 3 is actually 40 euros in the store).

Tbh, at the begining I was not very interested in this PS+ Extra offer, but after subscirbing I listed all the games I found interesting and it appears it was quite a lot of games.

I wanted to finish as many games as possible from that list within those five months and thought I would do the same next year, paying just for a few months to complete the list and playing some interesting new games. But even though I finished a dozen games, I did not have time to complete half of my list.

Now that my subsciption ends next Monday, I finally decided to take a complete year of PS+ Extra with the 25% dsicount to have time to clear the list + some other new interesting games without rushing that would come to the offer. And then, the next years, I will subscribe only for the last 2 or 3 months.

About the PS+ PREMIUM, I subscribed around 45 days for 1.50 euros and I do not find it really interesting. They really should make an effort on it. There are so many more PS1/PS2 games that could be there.

20 hours ago, diskdocx said:

I currently have Premium, but really would say unless you want the old PS2 classics, the Extra is the optimal tier. There are definitely some great games there that are worth the extra subscription and would justify the extra yearly cost. I'm not sure I can say the same for Premium.

Agreed, premium is not worth the 20 euros difference between Extra and Premium.

20 hours ago, diskdocx said:

On that note, does anyone know if/how you downgrade? I need to renew my sub, but would like to do so at the Extra tier, not Premium. I don't want my subscription to lapse.

How do I switch down from Premium or extend only at the Extra level?

From the app, you just need to go to your profile > subscription management > subscription settings > cancel subscription (my app is in French so maybe it is not those exact terms)

This way, everything will stop at the term and you can choose the one you want. If you do not proceed, you may pay for another year of Premium.

7 hours ago, Sky_RykerXD said:

I'm curious about the Premium tier. Can the streaming be shared across accounts? (like before with PS Now PS4 tiles)

Streaming isn't answered on the Share Playstation Plus page.

Haven't had Plus since the change.

While I encountered 0 issues with game sharing from downloaded titles which are part in PS+ Extra and Premium, I think that game sharing streamed games in not possible.

1. If you try to play PS+ Extra and Premium games via streaming with an account which is also registered in PSN but has no active PS+ subscription (No Essential, Extra or Premium), the error message should be: CE-118414-9 - This game is no longer available for streaming (= Which is 100% false, because I can stream this game on my main account) 
2. Or if you use a pure local account on your PS5 to play games via streaming, you are told to login with this account into PSN. But I think that even if you do that, you will not be able to play games via streaming. 
3, What I cannot test is what happens if you try to play games via streaming and shared from your main account, when the account you want to play the games with has any kind of active PS+ subscription, but maybe someone else can try this? 

But still, even while sharing streamed games is or may not be available, sharing downloaded PS+ Premium and Extra games in possible.
All it needs is that the account you want to access the games from,
1. has an active and working PS+ Extra or Premium subscription,
2. is enabled for Console Sharing and Offline Play
3. and that the Licences are correctly recognised by the console (To achieve this, maybe use the Restore Licenses option for the account you want to access the games from).

Edited by Geridian
Text
  • Like 1