PS Rewired now has a custom server as well

Richtoon

13 minutes ago, ryuji_sakujo said:

Care to elaborate on what the requirements are?

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/52663-what-constitutes-a-flag/

Can't find any mention of "open source", maybe I'm looking in the wrong post..

A friend of mine has the following concern:

"Anyone who uses an unapproved server deserves to be flagged, even if it meets all the criteria and/or is approved later. That should be stated explicitly in the post, but it's not."

As far as anyone who is concerned with being on the leaderboards on this site, the only requirement that’s relevant is being listed on the link you provided. 

If it isn’t listed, it isn’t approved. Anyone trying to argue around that is just trying to be difficult. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

As far as anyone who is concerned with being on the leaderboards on this site, the only requirement that’s relevant is being listed on the link you provided. 

If it isn’t listed, it isn’t approved. Anyone trying to argue around that is just trying to be difficult. 

So these 4.
May I ask what was the methodology of determining that they are "in accordance with PSNP guidelines"?
And further, there is no mention of the exact version (or commit hash) of which version was approved, so if changes are made (new commits) then are those still valid, or does the project need to be re-checked.

To my earlier question, I don't see any mention of the term "open source".
How often is this list updated, how often does staff take time to "approve" new projects? How prioritized is this in the "todo list" pipeline?
Effectively, what happens is, is that new revival projects pop up, but if they aren't quickly appraised by PSNP then it leaves community users (that are concerned about getting flagged) hanging and waiting for approval.

These are just open questions that point to some of the problems arising from the current approach.

I hope the process can be streamlined, perhaps a good first step is to "whitelist" uninvestigated projects and just blacklist them if any foul play surfaces (see my previous post with replies to @B1rvine)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

I am new to this community, and as a result, I am unaware of the many facets of this site. My use is limited to guides, viewing trophy lists for games, and looking at specific metrics on my profile that I find interesting. Am I amiss for wondering what significance the leaderboards play for the average (average as in those who are not here for their leaderboard placement) end-user? Does anyone outside a small minority utilize the leaderboards? If the integrity of the leaderboards is of utmost importance, would it not make sense to allow users the option to opt-out? Forgive me for being curt. I reckon being new here has allowed me an opportunity to see things from an outside perspective. A lot of these issues can be resolved through minor quality-of-life implementations.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, xXRathlosXx said:

I am new to this community, and as a result, I am unaware of the many facets of this site. My use is limited to guides, viewing trophy lists for games, and looking at specific metrics on my profile that I find interesting. Am I amiss for wondering what significance the leaderboards play for the average (average as in those who are not here for their leaderboard placement) end-user? Does anyone outside a small minority utilize the leaderboards? If the integrity of the leaderboards is of utmost importance, would it not make sense to allow users the option to opt-out? Forgive me for being curt. I reckon being new here has allowed me an opportunity to see things from an outside perspective. A lot of these issues can be resolved through minor quality-of-life implementations.

People who are interested in the leaderboards, are interested in the leaderboards, and any leaderboard has it’s applicable rules, as do the leaderboards here. If leaderboards are of no interest, people can just opt out by not looking at them, as many members here choose to do. 

People are free to play whatever games they choose in whatever manner they choose, but if they want their profile to participate (meaning appear) in the leaderboards here on this one site, then the trophies on their profile have to meet the sites leaderboard rules. 

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ryuji_sakujo said:

So these 4.
May I ask what was the methodology of determining that they are "in accordance with PSNP guidelines"?
And further, there is no mention of the exact version (or commit hash) of which version was approved, so if changes are made (new commits) then are those still valid, or does the project need to be re-checked.

To my earlier question, I don't see any mention of the term "open source".
How often is this list updated, how often does staff take time to "approve" new projects? How prioritized is this in the "todo list" pipeline?
Effectively, what happens is, is that new revival projects pop up, but if they aren't quickly appraised by PSNP then it leaves community users (that are concerned about getting flagged) hanging and waiting for approval.

These are just open questions that point to some of the problems arising from the current approach.

I hope the process can be streamlined, perhaps a good first step is to "whitelist" uninvestigated projects and just blacklist them if any foul play surfaces (see my previous post with replies to @B1rvine)

Really seems like you’re over complicating a much more simple thing. 

A member will draw attention to a new custom server by posting a thread generally about it. Several members here will usually seek out what information we can find, as very little is usually given. If there’s no source code, someone will ask where to find it so people can read it. If source code is available, some of us will generally read through it. I tend to grab the source code and compile my own instance to see if I can get it running or see if there’s obvious errors to troubleshoot and see if I can get the game connected as described. Once source code is found, the Cheater Removers are usually tagged in the thread. They take their time and make their evaluation and decide if the rules are updated with the server or not. 
There’s not a lot of examples of this happening. Less than a dozen over the years.

As have been brought up in previous discussions, these servers have been approved tentatively and if members bring up or examples are found of these servers being modified from original gameplay, they can have their blessing revoked. So exact version or commit hash isn’t necessary. 
The line of questioning seems overly pedantic, to be frank, for a very limited set of examples. And answering every single one of them provides no relevance to the matter that the approval of custom servers has been in-line with the intention of the existing leaderboard rules within the abilities of the resources given to the volunteer staff of the site.

I think it would be cool if the site could host PSNP servers for the approved games, but I don’t think that’s practical by any stretch of the imagination. 
I appreciate the effort these people who actually did the work to get these servers up and running and I think people should choose to play them. But I also think that it’s presumptuous to come to this site that has it’s own leaderboard and longer established rules and just say “accommodate my profile because I want what the sites leaderboard is offering, but on my terms” and expect the site staff to roll over. In these very rare circumstances the dichotomy of “I want these trophies on my profile because I just do” and “accept my whole profile to your sites leaderboards even though parts of it don’t qualify with your site requirements” is clearly a challenge for people to understand. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

But I also think that it’s presumptuous to come to this site that has it’s own leaderboard and longer established rules and just say “accommodate my profile because I want what the sites leaderboard is offering, but on my terms” and expect the site staff to roll over. In these very rare circumstances the dichotomy of “I want these trophies on my profile because I just do” and “accept my whole profile to your sites leaderboards even though parts of it don’t qualify with your site requirements” is clearly a challenge for people to understand. 

The devil's advocate to that is, what's the barrier for anyone? Is it not a level playing field of everyone can access the same thing?

Obviously nobody should be able to hop into a custom server that autopops everything. But it's disingenuous to think it's selfish accomodations being asked for, and not just a matter of people wanting to be able to earn trophies in old games that they miss. It's not always a reasonable ask, clearly, but to suggest something else is being asked doesn't seem like a fair assessment.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, ChaoticFox9900 said:

We really do need to start running some site-wide polls to figure out what the hell we want from this place, or else threads like this are gonna just crop up again and again.

If somehow the majority of the 5 million accounts vote in a poll, will that somehow compel the singular site owner and admin to decide he no longer owns his site and it’s been mutinied by members so he now is forced to abide by their will?

Do people even know this site is owned by just one person who is the only admin for the site? Are there somehow assumptions this is a community owned and run site?

18 minutes ago, Moostache7 said:

The devil's advocate to that is, what's the barrier for anyone? Is it not a level playing field of everyone can access the same thing?

Obviously nobody should be able to hop into a custom server that autopops everything. But it's disingenuous to think it's selfish accomodations being asked for, and not just a matter of people wanting to be able to earn trophies in old games that they miss. It's not always a reasonable ask, clearly, but to suggest something else is being asked doesn't seem like a fair assessment.

The barrier is as low as it can practically be: everyone has access to the same resource to get started. 

People are free to go earn trophies in games they miss whenever they choose. Accommodations are being given, as shown by the list of approved custom servers. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Really seems like you’re over complicating a much more simple thing. 

6 hours ago, DaivRules said:

People are free to play whatever games they choose in whatever manner they choose, but if they want their profile to participate (meaning appear) in the leaderboards here on this one site, then the trophies on their profile have to meet the sites leaderboard rules. 

Thanks for laying out the process of approving custom servers and clarifying the extent of how it affects our standings on this website. ?

The point I was trying to make is that there does not seem to be enough urgency in green lighting custom servers. Those 4 servers currently approved are years old, I'm not sure if they're still maintained. Even so we can't be sure that players earning trophies in those games are not forking the project and changing parameters which is problematic from an enforcement point of view (this point has already been raised).

The reason why greenlighting is urgent is because it potentially blocks a large numbers of users (who care about their leaderboards standings) for possibly a long period of time, within which the project might get taken down.

That would kind of be like an official server went down, then back up some time later but now needs approval from PSNP before people feel safe earning trophies again.

Anyway, your point about PSNP already having rules and guidelines, not bending over backwards to other inofficial tools that pop up totally makes sense. You guys make the rules top-down that the rest of us have to abide by. I guess most of us are just hoping that PSNP is a bit more flexible and accommodating in this manner, maybe with some policy changes the way these revival projects are reviewed, communicated and enforced can be a bit more streamlined and transparent for the betterment of this community, especially those that want to use these tools AND stay relevant in PSNP leaderboards.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

If somehow the majority of the 5 million accounts vote in a poll, will that somehow compel the singular site owner and admin to decide he no longer owns his site and it’s been mutinied by members so he now is forced to abide by their will?

Do people even know this site is owned by just one person who is the only admin for the site? Are there somehow assumptions this is a community owned and run site?

(Preface: This is the wrong thread to discuss this particular matter)

But with all due respect, is this really a winning concept? It's great that a single person has been able to scale the website to this point (mind you with a lot of help from staff and being fortunate to beat others to the punch and thus cultivating an active community that generate high-quality content like trophy guides for free), but I think it's worth having a discussion whether this will hold. A single point of failure is never a good idea, much less so when there's a community that wants to excert more influence over the content and direction of this website. Why suffocate the community with a top-down hierarchy when it can be flattened and made more inclusive, I know it's not an easy thing done over night but definitely should be up for discussion. There's tons of good examples of this working out, look at how the Stackoverflow or Python community is run, or Reddit.

I just fail to see the importance of upholding a monolithic structure of governance, clearly this community is passionate and some members have even taken it upon themselves to improve functionality of PSNP through browser plugins. Others have built bots or applications that are built on top of PSNP, it seems precarious and uncertain to have only a handful of people deciding over these matters.

(Again, this is quite a tangent in this thread)

There's tons of talented people that would love to chip in. Some concrete examples of great things to have would be an API for consuming PSNP data for developers.

And perhaps Reddit like voting system for approving custom servers and other matters.

I can't see how these changes come about on the back of a single admin, admirable as it's been thus far I think relinquishing control at least partially is necessary. Again, I'm confused about what the purpose of PSNProfiles is if it isn't to ultimately empower trophy hunters.. 

Edited by ryuji_sakujo
  • Like 2

On 25.12.2022 at 1:25 PM, diskdocx said:

Sorry, I usually try to stay non-confrontational in these situations, but that statement is absurd. This could literally be applied to almost every game. If there is a public open source code server that has come back online and the trophies could be earned legitimately, then the game should be white flagged again.

I don’t really agree with the stance the site has taken with non-open source - you should still be able to tell if the trophies are earned in a legitimately way or autopopped - but I understand why the CRT has taken that stance. As it stands there are probably custom servers for games that still have the original servers running. You can’t possibly know this, and short of flagging every online trophy in every game, there comes a point where you just have to let the rigid line bend a little.

The litmus test needs to be “is there a legitimate process by which the trophies can be earned”? 

The problem with timestamps is, you can still cheat and make the timestamps legit, if you just wait in between trophies to pop them in a doable pace. Wait an hour and pop a trophy, boom, you can say you got a trophy which takes an hour legitimately. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diskdocx said:

But this really applies to any hacked trophies. I'm not sure how the CRT detects that.

If the timestamps are correct, there is no way to detect this. Unless the player base is so dedicated/obsessed, that they will go through the leaderboards just to verify if the trophy's achiever really did the task, like with Time Crisis Razing Storm or Crypt of the Necrodancer (yes people actually do this).

So, as someone who doesn't care about the leaderboards - what consequence will it have for me if I were to play on a server like this and pop trophies for my own enjoyment? I care about the rest of my account, like seeing the list of games I've played, and the rarities and stuff. What features would be removed for me if I was 'flagged' or whatever?

24 minutes ago, BEARDLESSVlKlNG said:

So, as someone who doesn't care about the leaderboards - what consequence will it have for me if I were to play on a server like this and pop trophies for my own enjoyment? I care about the rest of my account, like seeing the list of games I've played, and the rarities and stuff. What features would be removed for me if I was 'flagged' or whatever?

You wouldn’t appear on leaderboards. All other functions would not be impacted. 

33 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

You would also be regarded as very suspicious by a lot of other users of this website. You would very likely have a worse time on these forums or when trying to join gaming sessions. This already comes with having a blue H on your profile and is worse when you have been kicked off the leaderboards by the CRT.

It's a tradeoff that is personal and needs careful consideration.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

You would also be regarded as very suspicious by a lot of other users of this website. You would very likely have a worse time on these forums or when trying to join gaming sessions. This already comes with having a blue H on your profile and is worse when you have been kicked off the leaderboards by the CRT.

It's a tradeoff that is personal and needs careful consideration.

Those have nothing to do with “what features would be removed” and more to do with people will be people. Ignorance is everywhere, let people explain how ignorant they are and then avoid them. 

The people who give them a hard time in the forums should be reported for breaking rule number 3 and is much more limited then you’re implying. 

14 hours ago, DaivRules said:

People who are interested in the leaderboards, are interested in the leaderboards, and any leaderboard has it’s applicable rules, as do the leaderboards here. If leaderboards are of no interest, people can just opt out by not looking at them, as many members here choose to do. 

Thanks for the reply. That was much-needed clarification.

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The more I read, the more nonsensical this topic becomes. Playing on these servers will not affect anyone who does not care about being on the leaderboards. Yet, people continue to belabor whatever point it is they have.

13 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I'll preface this by saying that I – as a former staff member – came from a gaming community with between 1.5 million and 2 million members. Concurrent users at the site's peak were around 20,000. The daily number of users at the peak was just shy of 100,000. Site traffic was high, and a large percentage of the user base was active. We also had a subscription-based membership and took in donations. G-Fuel reached out and offered us a partnership and provided us with coupon codes exclusive to members who subscribed. Despite the size and relative success, we still took suggestions. A single person owned that site as well. We never perceived suggestions from the community as mutiny.

The question you must ask is whether or not PSNP is a community or a quasi-governing body. Regardless of the answer you decide on, both still take suggestions from their participants.

I should also note that the gaming community I came from collapsed and had a schism from terrible business decisions and no longer exist.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Those have nothing to do with “what features would be removed” and more to do with people will be people. Ignorance is everywhere, let people explain how ignorant they are and then avoid them. 

The people who give them a hard time in the forums should be reported for breaking rule number 3 and is much more limited then you’re implying.

You're right, I forgot about that. You can also be excluded from many of the community events. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, xXRathlosXx said:

Despite the size and relative success, we still took suggestions. A single person owned that site as well. We never perceived suggestions from the community as mutiny.

This site DID take the suggestion when it was first presented, which is why custom servers ARE accepted on conditions that keep them in line with the existing leaderboards rules. My referral to the mutiny exaggeration was reference to disbanding the Cheater Removers (Leaderboard rule enforcers) over this very small situation. 

There is a lot of misrepresentation you’re taking at face value if you’re not taking the time to actually examine the specifics of what’s being discussed here and the decade+ of examples that this site HAS accepted because the community brought them up. 

10 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

You're right, I forgot about that. You can also be excluded from many of the community events. Thanks!

Im curious which Community Events required a leaderboard rank and/or no hidden trophies and what sense that made other than prejudice. 

• Like 1